Decatur Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

I was employed at DMH for 19 years, and enjoyed my work experience.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 22, 2016
I started as an Office Assistant in 1997, and then filled several positions as a Case Manager, Wellness Coordinator, and CMA. They accommodated my schedule, and I was allowed to attend MA school while employed, as well as take some nursing classes.
A typical days work as a MA at DMH Express Care consisted of greeting patients, taking vitals, triaging, entering information into computer, administering medications, POCT, making referrals, and discharging.
Pros
12 hour days allowed days off during the week.
Cons
Not being able to take breaks or lunches on busy days.
Productive and rewarding
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 23, 2016
The typical day at work would be a learning experience when it comes to being introduced to working hospital security on a professional level. I learned how to be more punctual when it comes to observing, report writing on incidents, and safety issues that effect hospital security as a whole. The management team was consistent. The hardest part of the job would be absolutely nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that this was the first security officer job that prepared me for what I am a professional in today. Not only this is my hometown of Decatur, Illinois, but working at Decatur Memorial Hospital gave me a sense of pride and respect as a person and an officer of the field of security, correction, and law enforcement as awhole.
Pros
Prepare me to be the professional that I am today
Cons
N/A
An okay place to work at
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 26, 2016
My coworkers were great to get along with. The problem was that cna's were given way to many patients to take care of 30 or more. One person cannot give quality care to that many patients.
Pros
Co-workers were nice
Cons
given too many patients
Great small town feel in a major medical center
Interim Executive Director and Director of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 4, 2016
This hospital is the most welcoming and supportive I have ever worked for. A rare level of interdepartmental support and sense of common goals and team work.
A good environment to learn new things every dy.
Post Anesthesia Care Unit and Same day surgery RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 19, 2015
Had great co-workers made the days not seem so long. Being able to pre op and post op the patients and see them go home rewarding. At times very hard to take when patients did not make it through surgery. Saw many surgeries and learned how to take care very different patients.
Pros
Good benefits good pay.
Cons
Long hours and being on call
Great Learning Opportunities
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 21, 2015
A great place to work and grow as a professional. Several training programs housed within the hospital including a nurse anesthesia training program which awards a DNP upon completion.
Administrative Analyst
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 5, 2015
Data entry, internal audits, reporting to health department and etc. I absolutely loved my job, great staff and team work. Many changes were being made at the hospital and after fifteen years time to move forward.
good company to work for
Engineering Technician III (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 6, 2015
Stressful at times due to senior management. Good fellow employees. Many long term employees. Good benefits. Pay raises are pay for performance.
Pros
nice cafe for lunch, breaks
Productive and friendly environment.
Computer Operator/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 26, 2015
The staff were very helpful and insightful. Never had any personal issues with anyone on the staff. The IT team worked really well together to achieve goals and complete tasks in a timely manner.
Good place to Volunteer.
Volunteer. (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 10, 2015
I cleaned the therapy room.
Cleaned the speech room.
Went on all of the floors to serve water, flowers, and mail.
Spending your time with the patients.
Sitting behind the front desk to give out room tags.
Pros
Helping the patients and giving them flowers or mail.
Cons
Leaving it.
Great group of people to work with
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 17, 2015
Approachable and understanding in personal situations. Would recommend working at this establishment. Directors are willing to pitch in and work with you.
Pros
Discounts in the cafe and gift shop.
Great Team/Poor support from administration
Inpatient Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 2, 2015
DMH was a wonderful place to begin my schooling with supportive co-workers/good team-work.

Hospital Administration placed hospital on hiring freeze which allowed no room for advancement.
I enjoyed my job
LPN (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 10, 2015
I left the position due to being offered a position to work contractual with the state of Illinois. The cost of their health insurance has gone up extremely since working for them at this time in my life and the coverage has dropped. Otherwise it was a great place to work.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 20, 2015
The surgery dept. was short staffed therefore we were required to work longer hours than scheduled many times a week and had to take more hours of in house and out of house call per week.
first Nursing Job
REGISTERED NURSE/Clinical Lead (Current Employee) –  Arthur, ILJuly 22, 2015
Very poor communication from administration. No support for growth in career/ experience.
Compensation: well under average for the state.
Unconfortable working environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 13, 2015
Inconsistent and erratic management. Training is minimal and it is a learn on the fly environment.
Got along well with most coworkers.
Enjoyed interacting with patients and staff.
An excellent place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Fast paced environment. Learned new information daily. Compassionate management team. Coworkers had a "team" mindset, always looking out for one another. The hardest part of the job was growing so attached to the terminal patients and being present for them and their families during their transitions into death. The most enjoyable part of the job was bonding with the patients, helping them to understand their disease processes and guiding them towards the most optimum outcome.
Pros
team focused, $1, 000 annual healthcare spending allowance for family
Cons
$5, 000 deductible for health insurance
It was under appresiated
Generalist rotating between departments (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 21, 2014
It was long with short of staff everyday. I learned alot but it was something I deserve it. They had a very good management but workers was slappy. As I said the worst day and the most under appresiated day was the day wark in the chemistery department and all the workers sit their and lough at me. The most enjoyable day was the day I am the helper and helping.
Great place to start
Sports Performance and Enhancement Intern (Former Employee) –  Decatur IllinoisApril 15, 2015
I was only an intern for one summer during their sports performance and enhancement sessions. It was a pretty friendly work environment and it seemed like a good place to start ones career.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, IlJuly 15, 2014
The multiphone line would start ringing at 8:30am and not stop until 4pm. The customers were nice and polite and I loved talking to them. The doctors knew nothing about me because they never talked to me. The boss didn't know how to be a boss except for when she was writing people up for doing something wrong. The hardest part of the job was trying to get answers for the patients. The most enjoyable part was all of my coworkers and their antics.

Decatur Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location