Decatur Public Schools

Decatur Public Schools Employee Reviews

Provide Security functions all over central Illinois.
Coach (Current Employee), Hope AcademyMay 13, 2015
Pros: Extremely Easy job
Cons: No teamwork and it seems impossible to move up
A typical day involves me going to a location to provide security functions and customer service skills. I go from Springfield to Lincoln to Mount Zion and even all the way to Rantoul.
MIS
IT Department (Current Employee), Computer TechnologyMarch 21, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits.
Cons: only 2 days off a week.
Great bosses, co-workers, cross training, great work ethics, want the best for staff and students. Believe in great technology for all not just non- gifted or just gifted students. Care for employees and families of employees and students families. The district believes in highering all people and promotes within. Enjoying my time with dos61, it is a very good school district with some great principles.
Students first!
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee), Decatur, ILFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: great work/life balance; caring staff; fun workplace
Cons: some board members try to micro manage
Under the leadership of Superintendent Taylor this school district has a strong history of student focus, caring staff and educational leadership. This district's decision are made based on what is best for students.
Great School District!
Teacher/Specialist (Former Employee), Decatur, ILJanuary 6, 2015
Diverse and progressive learning opportunities! DPS 61 is a leader student- lead learning initiatives. Moving toward a one-to-one environment and a cooperative approach to curriculum development and implementation.
Worked with students
Migrant Aide (Former Employee), Decatur, ARJuly 22, 2014
Pros: working with students and seeing thier progress
Reviewed applicants to assure they qualified for the migrant program. Maintained a caseload of 70 students. Tutored students in areas that needed improvement. Worked with the teachers to assist students with their homework. Worked with students from pre-K to 12th grade.
Very productive workplace
Teacher's Assistant / APR (Current Employee), Decatur, ILJune 18, 2014
Working at a High School is never a dull moment. I have truly enjoyed embracing my co-workers in our common goal to make the environment safe, and conducive for learning to be accomplished. Dealing with the teenagers in this generation can be hard most days, but when you think about the potential that can be reached by them it causes us as educators to stay motivated and passionate fulfilling the daily drive to give our all. The biggest reward is to see the impact that you made in a students life when they are walking successfully in their God given purpose.
Supportive place to work.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Hope AcademyJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: no full-time avaialble
I worked part-time and I enjoyed the students and the staff. Very supportive and easy to communicate with.
Educationally Progressive
Dropout Prevention Coordinator (Current Employee), Decatur, ILAugust 1, 2013
My daily operation include monitoring and evaluation attendance and credits of students in the school buildlings. As a truancy preventionist my duties include home visits, daily phone calls, intervention plans, student and family consultations, development of remediation plans, collaboration with community collaboration partners, collaboration with educational administration to ensure the needs of the students are being met to decrease truancy. Also, it is my responsibilty to create programs that address the social emotional needs of the students. I have created two programs for the Decatur Public School "New Direction" and "Eagle Wings Educational Success Program". These programs addressed the social needs such as conflict resolution, self-awareness, and awareness of environment. I also serve a committee member of 3 teams responsible for the creation of programs conducive to student achievement.
This is a Fun Work Place.
Sub Secretary (Current Employee), Decatur, ILMay 4, 2013
Pros: working with primary to high schools
Cons: not enough hours
I am a Sub Secretary for DPS61. Answering Phones, Helping Students, and assiting with variety of office duties.
Fun work environment
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee), Decatur, ILDecember 12, 2012
Great district to work for. Had in school administrative support and guidance.
I enjoyed teaching music, history, math, science,and french.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Decatur, ILSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: being able to help educate others
Cons: being in a rigid classroom type education system
I answered the call for work and excepted the assignment, reported to the administration office to sign in and receive orders, greeted the children and began the routine for the day. I ate lunch in the teachers lounge or the cafeteria. The hardest part was knowing I was only there for a short time and getting to know everyone by name. It was very enjoyable being around an environment of learning.
Great place for learning and fun!
Special Ed. Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Decatur, ILJune 29, 2012
Pros: hours
Cons: turnover rate
A typical day at work could range from very hectic, to very mundane. While working, I learned the importance of patience as well as teamwork. Management and supervision are great, and are very helpful. My co-workers were the best. You could compare them to family. The hardest part of the job, is dealing with different personalities and people on an everyday basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet new people and go different places.