Decatur Public Schools Employee Reviews

Professional work enviornment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ARJanuary 17, 2016
Run reports from data base to reflect students grades and progress.

Worked with students who had difficulties functioning in a normal classroom. Students worked at their own pace in all subject areas on a computer based program. I had to be able to assist and tutor the students in order for them to complete courses on a timely basis. I mentored the students in all areas of their school experience.

I learned students don't all want to learn and it is extremely difficult to get the student to see their full potential. No matter how much you want their success you cant always get them to see it in themselves.

Most coworkers cooperated to achieve student success. However, some coworkers seemed to have a not care attitude. Which was extremely frustrating to me, because I wanted to see all students succeed.

The hardest part of my job was the fact that these students had multiple social, academic, and aggressive tendencies problems. It was hard to handle the emotional frustrations the students encountered.

The most enjoyable part was when a student that had been struggling with a problem finally understood and completed the coursework.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
You had to be on guard of the aggressive behaviors of the students
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 11, 2015
I worked with a great group of people, administration included. At times it was difficult dealing with the parents/community but that's a part of the job most anywhere you go.
Pros
Healthcare
Provide Security functions all over central Illinois.
Coach (Current Employee) –  Hope AcademyMay 13, 2015
A typical day involves me going to a location to provide security functions and customer service skills. I go from Springfield to Lincoln to Mount Zion and even all the way to Rantoul.
Pros
Extremely Easy job
Cons
No teamwork and it seems impossible to move up
MIS
IT Department (Current Employee) –  Computer TechnologyMarch 21, 2015
Great bosses, co-workers, cross training, great work ethics, want the best for staff and students. Believe in great technology for all not just non- gifted or just gifted students. Care for employees and families of employees and students families. The district believes in highering all people and promotes within. Enjoying my time with dos61, it is a very good school district with some great principles.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
only 2 days off a week.
Students first!
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 16, 2015
Under the leadership of Superintendent Taylor this school district has a strong history of student focus, caring staff and educational leadership. This district's decision are made based on what is best for students.
Pros
great work/life balance; caring staff; fun workplace
Cons
some board members try to micro manage
Great School District!
Teacher/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 6, 2015
Diverse and progressive learning opportunities! DPS 61 is a leader student- lead learning initiatives. Moving toward a one-to-one environment and a cooperative approach to curriculum development and implementation.
Worked with students
Migrant Aide (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ARJuly 22, 2014
Reviewed applicants to assure they qualified for the migrant program. Maintained a caseload of 70 students. Tutored students in areas that needed improvement. Worked with the teachers to assist students with their homework. Worked with students from pre-K to 12th grade.
Pros
working with students and seeing thier progress
Very productive workplace
Teacher's Assistant / APR (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 18, 2014
Working at a High School is never a dull moment. I have truly enjoyed embracing my co-workers in our common goal to make the environment safe, and conducive for learning to be accomplished. Dealing with the teenagers in this generation can be hard most days, but when you think about the potential that can be reached by them it causes us as educators to stay motivated and passionate fulfilling the daily drive to give our all. The biggest reward is to see the impact that you made in a students life when they are walking successfully in their God given purpose.
Supportive place to work.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hope AcademyJanuary 21, 2014
I worked part-time and I enjoyed the students and the staff. Very supportive and easy to communicate with.
Pros
salary
Cons
no full-time avaialble
Educationally Progressive
Dropout Prevention Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 1, 2013
My daily operation include monitoring and evaluation attendance and credits of students in the school buildlings. As a truancy preventionist my duties include home visits, daily phone calls, intervention plans, student and family consultations, development of remediation plans, collaboration with community collaboration partners, collaboration with educational administration to ensure the needs of the students are being met to decrease truancy. Also, it is my responsibilty to create programs that address the social emotional needs of the students. I have created two programs for the Decatur Public School "New Direction" and "Eagle Wings Educational Success Program". These programs addressed the social needs such as conflict resolution, self-awareness, and awareness of environment. I also serve a committee member of 3 teams responsible for the creation of programs conducive to student achievement.

Want to know more about Decatur Public Schools?

Ask a question
This is a Fun Work Place.
Sub Secretary (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 4, 2013
I am a Sub Secretary for DPS61. Answering Phones, Helping Students, and assiting with variety of office duties.
Pros
working with primary to high schools
Cons
not enough hours
Fun work environment
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 12, 2012
Great district to work for. Had in school administrative support and guidance.
I enjoyed teaching music, history, math, science,and french.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 21, 2012
I answered the call for work and excepted the assignment, reported to the administration office to sign in and receive orders, greeted the children and began the routine for the day. I ate lunch in the teachers lounge or the cafeteria. The hardest part was knowing I was only there for a short time and getting to know everyone by name. It was very enjoyable being around an environment of learning.
Pros
being able to help educate others
Cons
being in a rigid classroom type education system
Great place for learning and fun!
Special Ed. Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 29, 2012
A typical day at work could range from very hectic, to very mundane. While working, I learned the importance of patience as well as teamwork. Management and supervision are great, and are very helpful. My co-workers were the best. You could compare them to family. The hardest part of the job, is dealing with different personalities and people on an everyday basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet new people and go different places.
Pros
hours
Cons
turnover rate