Decker Truck Line, Inc Employee Reviews

Not cordinated
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IASeptember 1, 2017
Road planning personal were not cordinated, spent lots of time sitting around waiting for deliveries and new loads, lots of times routes were not planed very well
Did not like working their
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Missoula,MtAugust 21, 2017
U get paid less then what u put in the company.It's was all for the company and if u have a proplem well u have to waite for your time to talk to some one. I will never go back to that place for a job.
Couldn't get the miles to make money
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAAugust 16, 2017
Great benefits and good to work for if your a solo driver. Just couldn't get miles as a team to make any money. There were solo drivers getting more miles than we were as a team.
Pros
benifits
Cons
no miles for teams
A very good company to work for, solid company with no real downtime between loads.
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJuly 29, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with them, was kept busy with the contracts they have. Highly recommend this company to anyone who wants more hometime and still make good money. Everyone there was friendly and other drivers did not hesitate to help each other. I had to leave the company do to a medical condition, but would have stayed until retirement otherwise. Great newer equipment, servicing and problems are taken care of at the closest terminal when necessary an expedient manner.
Pros
Home on weekends, Excellent Benefits
Need run drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ft. Dodge, IAJuly 28, 2017
I did a lot of sitting around a lot of live loads and sitting on the weekends 30 to40 hrs every weekends for 3 months so i quit and they took $700 from my check that hurt. I knew they would but I couldn't stay there only getting 2000 or less in miles
Pros
Nice trucks
Cons
Low miles. Not enough drop and hooks
Most people were easy to get along with.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJuly 11, 2017
I liked working in the security building and checking in the trucks s they came home. Talking to the drivers and welcoming them back safe. In the office most everyone was helpful and patient about answering my questions.
if you dont know everything under the sun about a semi dont apply
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 18, 2017
most of your time will be spent doing oil changes dont expect a raise or ask for one because you wont get it this place is full of drama and full of a bunch of kids who like to run their mouths the work environment sucks unless your alone other then that not the worst place i have worked but not the best
Pros
quiet
Cons
everything
Poor place to work for
building and Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 5, 2017
Unless you work in upper management, the company has a proven poor track record with employees and an unusually higher than average turnover rate. Corporate treats their employees as assets to be disposed of at their whim. Management by dept heads is abysmal at best and the company adopts a 'never wrong' attitude even when proven wrong. good place to work if you like getting fired.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Poor management
It's a decent company
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJune 1, 2017
If you don't mind being gone in living on the interstate .

this is perfect for you.

your spouse may have difficulty adapting to your new lifestyle it may cause a relationship termination because you're not going to be home.

To make this financially feasible you should only be home 2 or 4 days out of the month.
Pros
Job security Nice trucks Nice terminals
Cons
You make $300 net profit every Thousand Miles you drive
positive
Southeast Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 9, 2017
Primarily responsible for all aspects of southern operating region. Including sales, staff development, P 7 L accountability and revenue per mile goals and equipment utilization. Less hurried,little direction or sense of urgency at this company.
Pros
freedom
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunity
ok
driver (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTDecember 29, 2016
it is ok but a lot of driving on i80 and above it they are very pro family. they also have good up keep on their trucks and trailers
Nice place to work
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAOctober 17, 2016
I like working for the company I'm just looking for a local company to work for to be home More. But overall the company is a nice place to work your out 10 to 14 days then home 2 days.
Great company for OTR Driver
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJuly 11, 2016
Decker Trucks is a Great company if you want to be a trucker. Great Benefits, job security, and friendly management.
Pros
Brand new trucks and equiptment
Cons
your never home for your family
Good facities with quite rooms ,showers, laundry,able to talk w/magmnt.
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  IAJuly 15, 2015
Mostly team effort among drivers and company. Typical day is to be up and ready in order to keep loads on time. Plan route, where to park if no parking at shipper or con, Make calls for directions if non available , calls for any safety issues if needed, double check load information, where on route will need fuel, do Pre or Post trip and add fluids when needed. My dispatcher is easy to get along with, in that we can disagree and still be nice, I could send cute jokes which cheered him and others up on stressful days, He knew he didn't have to worry about me getting the run on time or any equipment issues as I proved over and over I worked and communicated when necessary. Could work with fellow drivers and even learned from them or able to enlighten them on our job with my years of experience. Would swap loads in order to help other drivers or to also help me, when needed such as family emergencies or just time off for family.
Pros
big enough to keep you busy and yet good open door policy.
Cons
Not home as much as I would like, not always Decker's fault.
Good place to work if you don't mind OTR
Refrigerated Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAApril 29, 2015
Would go back to work there if it wasn't for fact I'm in online schooling. Actually got along well w/my dispatcher Gene. Actually enjoyed seeing the country. Rider policy too strict and have to pay to take wife.
Pros
Good equipment, benefits
Cons
Live in a truck
Productive and safety based corporation.
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, AL.November 25, 2014
A very family oriented corporation with good employees and safety standards.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Sometimes lacking in communication
worked n the truck wash and detail dept for a large trucking company
Truck Wash (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAOctober 26, 2014
liked what I did and worked well with the other employees. Was very good at detailing the equipment. Was employee of the month.
Pros
learned a trade
Cons
pay was minimum and no advancement opportunities
Deal with Overage, Shortages and Damaged product
Cargo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge IAOctober 21, 2014
Drivers that have problem with their loads. I also deal with drivers with getting citations, inspections and brief accidents.
Well established family built company
Cost Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IASeptember 15, 2014
Decker is a long standing company from Fort Dodge that has a strong basis in the community.
Satisfying work for good pay and benefits. Well treated by the company.
Professional Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMarch 13, 2014
I am a 38 year veteran truck driver. I have delivered a variety of products over the years and settled on food transport for over half that time. It is a time sensitive type of work and heavily regulated these days. The people I presently work with, both co-workers and management, I have know for 10 years and consider them all friends. The hardest part of this job is the many hours spent on the road and away from home. It leaves precious little time for a personal life.
Pros
Pay is good, as well as benefits. There is great pride in a job well done
Cons
As I stated before, being away from home over extended periods puts a strain on ones personal life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Decker Truck Line, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.