DEFENDER Direct

DEFENDER Direct Employer Reviews

Terrible place
Manager (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: poor treatment of field staff
Just don't go here, you WILL be lied to, you will be cheated, and all in the name of christian values.

Manager days start at 5:45 6 days a week and end when your last team member is finished...midnight maybe...
Could have been a good career
Security Advisor/Installer (Former Employee), Springfield, MOFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: good money
Cons: no insurance or job security
Going to home owner and installing equipment was interesting. Learning the basic of alarms and the installation was a great experience for me. Management changed way to often. Co-worker were very helpful. Hardest part was driving long distant. Visiting with new customer each day was the most enjoyable part of this job.
Good job, just wasn't for me.
Dish Network Salesman (Former Employee), Greensburg, INFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: fun and kind co-workers.
Cons: feeling like i was bothering people at their homes.
Defender Direct was a nice place to work. The people were friendly and the environment was welcoming. The job itself just was not for me because I was uncomfortable cold calling individuals at their homes and trying to persuade them to buy a Dish Network package.
Very Very Blessed with this opportunity.
Inbound Sales (Current Employee), Newport KYFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: growth, pay, environment, work/life balance
Cons: ........i don't have any.. this job changed my life
I have ready many reviews on Defender. It's really funny. Of course, you hear lots of negative and almost no positive.
Well.... Here is TRUTH:

First of: Defender truly does care about their employees. They have a very nice balance with keeping their employee's best interest in mind as well as the company's best interest. If the company doesn't succeed, no body will succeed. I honestly believe all these negative reviews about Defender is a reflection on one's self.

By the way, the amazing rewards and contests are awesome. All expense paid 4 days resort vacations with spouses, TV's, concert tickets, box playoff tickets, trips to Italy, a Harley, a boat... ... The list goes on and on.

Second: They pay very well. Follow the proven process, remain positive, and in the end.... Do the right thing, and you pay check will show it.

Third: Those of you concerned about a 100% commissioned job, you are probably concerned because of how other 100% commissioned jobs pay. Well, this job is different. There are no charge backs, no draws (if you don't reach a minimum, you get paid anyway and you don't have to pay it back) and everyone (that follows process) makes money anyway, so it doesn't matter. This job is amazing. Inbound Sales... Pretty much a guarantee nothing less than 45k. My personal experience for year 1 was 90k. (39-42 hrs/week) How did I do it? I embraced the Defender Culure, remained true to myself and stayed positive.

LASTLY: What other company pays you to go out and work at a soup kitchen or mow an old lady's lawn?? They have service days. Go out and serve in your community. They also will take you to Mexico for $199 and build with Homes of Hope YWAM. They go above and beyond when it comes to taking care of the poor the widowed and the orphanage.

My recommendation to you if you are considering working for this company.... Believe in it and believe in yourself. Follow process and work harder on yourself than you do your job. Because that's really what it's about.
This place sucks
Customer Care/Quality Assurance Rep (Former Employee), Indianapolis, IN.February 3, 2015
Cons: everything
I was there for almost 5 years and right before my 5 year anniversary they implemented an attendance policy, back dated it and then fired me for being in violation. Now that's not to say you can't advance, you can. However you can only advance if drink the Kool - aid that management is selling. So if you're a free thinker and expect to be promoted based on your work ethic you're screwed.
Tough job but at times very rewarding.
Security Advisor (Current Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: commission pay
Cons: travel, job/work balance, management
Defender Direct is based in Indianapolis and is a larger company. The management is somewhat unorganized making decisions and finding answers difficult. I have learned great communication skills as well as how to work independently. I like my co workers and find the job rewarding at times.
Not bad if you live in an urban area, but terrible otherwise
Installation Technician (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: provides training
Cons: long hours, long commute to jobs, little compensation, little management support
My typical day would be to wake up about 0500 in the morning, get ready and head to my first install which is about seventy miles away from my home. Depending on whether the customer would be there (many times they would not be) I would burn my own gas and provide wear on my own vehicle to get to the job. At the job, I would have to do my best to upsell the customer in order to make the most commission I could receive; most of the time I felt like I was providing much more than what was logically required for their needs. After about four hours performing the install, being careful to do the best job I could do, I would have to proceed to the next job, which was often at least 50 miles away from the previous job and often times further away from my home. I would typically get home around 0800 at night, exhausted and demoralized. If I had to perform a service call, I would receive no compensation for mileage to get to the call. If the customer was not there for the install, I would receive no compensation for going to the call. I exhausted my families' savings account in order to work for this company, if it had not been for my status as a military Reservist, I would have been in extremely dire straights; I didn't receive the compensation for the work I performed until I decided to leave. If I went to a service call for another technicians' install, I would see some of their work that I personally would be embarrassed to say I had anything to do with. If I were to live in a large city that all of my customers lived in and near, this might have been an alright job, but having the entire southern part of Mississippi your territory with a dispatch that doesn't understand the best way to maximize your time in different areas made this job probably the worst I have ever held.
Good income potential, but no life and lots of stress
Security Technician (Former Employee), West Covina, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: well paid
Cons: long hours and tough sales quotas
You can make a decent income here, but don't expect to be around your home much. It is not unusual to be gone 14-16 hours on any given day. Also Sales expectations are unfair because of the business format and because of strict quotas there isn't much job security, so don't plan on making this one a career. Enjoy it while it lasts, because when it's over it's over.
Offers great tools for self improvement.
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: i grew the most professionally while working here.
Cons: 70 - 80 hrs a week.
As an SA I checked the board at 5:45am for assigned installs. I worked with other SAs to ensure all installs were completed and sales quotas met. Going to three installs a day six days a week was normal. I rarely made it home before 10pm.
As a manager I made sure the above was accomplished, instituted a book club, coached SAs and other managers, gave sales presentations and mentored the manager of the next region over from my own.
Productive, and kept you busy
Security Advisor (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: i had two days off in a row. company breakfast every tuesday
Cons: travel long distances between jobs
WE Have to start everyday at the office at 6:45 am to retain inventory for the day of work. Then received our jobs and must be there by a certain time. I learned a lot of people skills and communication skills at Defender. Although you got paid on what you sold that day. I sold an average of about a thousand dollars of additional equipment to each customer. Top of my branch and in the nation, Management was great when I started, but it changed a lot. The hardest part of the job was being away from my family almost everyday working 60+ hrs a week. the most enjoyable part of my job was protecting families, and meeting new individuals.
Typical call center enviorment
Authorized ADT Sales Representative (Former Employee), newport, kyJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: its a job
Cons: routing system
Great place to work ilf you don't have a lot of financial responsibility. 100% commission and you work off a routing system. Success is not solely based on skill set. Pay will increase/decrease often.
Believe what you read in written reviews here!
Inbound Sales Agent (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHDecember 23, 2014
Pros: a few of the managers are pretty decent
Cons: way too many to even try and count
This place has 1st round hype but delivers nothing more than un-drafted free agent talent. In other words, this place draws you in with the notion you are in complete control of earning all the money you want (this being the carrot), but when it comes down to it, it's all smoke and mirrors/bait and switch. If you have any issue with leaving all integrity and honesty in sales at the door, then this place as an Inbound Sales Agent is not the place for you. Customers being sold over the phone are just blanketed with half truths upon half truths. It's insane.
I read the reviews before taking this job, had reservations, but decided to move forward with it anyway and give it a shot. Boy was that a mistake. All the negative reviews I read were actually accurate. And to top it all off, this company CHOSE to suddenly and unexpectedly lay off sales agents 2 weeks before Christmas. It wasn't like they needed to cut back financially, no this was a choice.
So my advice to you if you have decided or are considering "giving this place a try" like I did, consider yourself warned. Getting the sellable sales calls is nothing more than a matter of luck of the draw. You have ZERO control over the calls you get which translates into sellable calls which translates into your paycheck every week! Get ready to be held accountable for calls that cannot be sold - wrong numbers, customer service calls, etc, etc, etc.
In short, absolute horrible place to work, much less try to call a career. And they claim to be a Christian company - that's laughable and all evidence to the contrary. At least other companies don't try to act like something they aren't. Run like the wind from this place!
Steady employment
Technician Recruiter (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 19, 2014
This company was a nice starting position for a rewarding career in home security installation. The hours were long, but the pay was worth it.
This company is not bad for single person.
Security Advisor/ Sales Rep (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCDecember 2, 2014
Pros: possible great pay depending on sales, good benefits.
Cons: long hours sometimes, possible lack of work other times, inconsistent schedule, and sales pressure.
Good pay and benefits, but if you want to spend good amount of time with your family, not a good job for you. Evening installs and far travel could get you home at midnight on some nights. Expected to be at the office every morning at 6:45 am regardless of weather you have a morning job or not. Poor training when it comes to installing products such as commercial devices. All and all, not too shabby of a Company to work for.
lies, lies, more lies
security Advisor (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKDecember 1, 2014
Pros: free wednesday breakfast
Cons: no jobs, terrible leadership, not much training
If you're OK doing shady work and ripping people off. They will tell you you're the next lead tech or branch manager but unless you play the dirty game and sell a system for around $2000- $3000 you won't make it. No company support or backup. Most appointments around re set up with free equipment already leaving no room for up sell. Most installs you get paid around $100 that day. Managers threaten you. Very high on the bait and switch sales technique.
HORRIBLE experience....very misguided company
Comfort Consultant - HVAC (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 30, 2014
Defender Direct hides behind the guise of a "Christian based company" when the truth is that obscene profits without job security is the expectation. Dave Lindsay (founder) will burn for the way he deceives people
Nice people.
Sales Agent (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2014
Pros: the people was nice.
Cons: a financial struggle.
The people were very nice to work with and made a lot of friends but the pay was not what I needed to live off of.
Energetic work environment
Security Sales and Field Technician (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 3, 2014
Pros: free breakfast every tuesday
Cons: long hours and days
The work is very rewarding financially and personally. Work days sometimes can be very long which is hard to balance personal life and work life. My managers and co-workers however are great to be with and are very helpful. We all contribute in training and learning from each other on different aspects of our job.

The hardest part of our job is the amount of time we have to build a relationship with our customers. We are given a limited amount of time to build trust and rapport so that we can make a good sales impression.

I would say the most enjoyable part about the job is always meeting new people. You can learn a lot from those you come in contact with if you listen and are actually attentive to what a customer is telling you.
A terrible place to work for a career
Anonymous Employee (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 30, 2014
Pros: free self-improvement classes
Cons: everything else
The worst place to work. They claim you can advance in the work place and they promote from within, but that's a lie. The company wants to save as much money as possible, so they keep you pigeon-holed in your position for as long as possible. You do not have any management support whatsoever.
Productive call center that offers diversity
Inventory Control Agent (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: medical benefits
Completed inbound and outbound with installation techs and customers with questions and concerns. I learned how to work with other departments in problem solving for techs and customers. I helped lead co-workers to proper departments in problem solving. I had diverse group of co-workers that were fun to work with. The hardest part of my job was dealing with irate calls. The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying the customer in helping them understand their account and explaining their payment options that would help resolve their account.

1 2 3 4 5

About DEFENDER Direct

Few companies acquire customers as well as DEFENDER. We are the #1 Authorized Dealer for ADT®, and also own home heating and – Read more