Defense Finance and Accounting Service Employee Reviews

Too many Chiefs
Military Pay Technician, GS (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 10, 2017
Low morale, too many chiefs, unstable work environment. Constant turnover, finger pointing, poor or not training for new employees. Management hid away from employees.
Pros
Poor working environment
Cons
off at 4 pm
Project Opportunity
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHSeptember 28, 2017
Several opportunities for projects including process improvement, automating manual tasks, and audit readiness. I enjoy the challenges we faced everyday and the freedom to take charge and fix issues.
Pros
Great Leadership Team
Cons
Lack of Advancement due to Longevity
Usaf
Accounts Payable and Financial Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 17, 2017
Very competitive
Capable of learning more than you mos
Ncoic are always great
Very diverse workplace
No job is too hard
Being in the military is the best part of the job
Outstanding company!
Financial System Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 15, 2017
Very nice organization to work for. Amazing people and management. A well organized company with potential for long term career. Definitely recommend to anyone.
Great job
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 3, 2017
Challenging fun work. Good clean environment with chance to excel and advance. Leadership that cares and know how to advance you. School assistance programs. Great on the job training.
Pros
Great leadership with quality work and you in mind.
Cons
shrinking workforce
This position was all Volunteer
Supervisory Financial Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 12, 2017
My position was merely ceremonial in nature. And usually at our annual banquets. I also had to take the lead if the Honorary Colonel of the Regiment was not available. Then I had to make all of the presentations at our annual events.
Not a good place for employment
Military Pay Technician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, inMay 18, 2017
You do not want to work here. The employees are very lazy yet management is ok with that if you are a minority. They allow people to illegally park. They let their security have free reign and they can target you if you don't bow down to them even when they are wrong. They are lazy and overweight and pander to overweight people. They don't like the young. If you want to experience racism go to work here. They say picking someone for a job is blind but it isn't. They give it to people they like and give it to minorities first even if they are incompetent. Many managers were given their job because of their race, gender or disability
Advancements
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 18, 2017
Working at DFAS was great. It allowed me many opportunities to grow within the Agency. A positive work environment makes the day go by fast. They understood the needs of the employees when it came to family, therefore I would go above and beyond to make sure that everyones needs were met when it came to work.
military pay techniciana
Military Pay Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKMay 2, 2017
as a pay technician there are various positions you can work in either in and out processing, retirement section as well at Ets separations or chapters. As military Pay Technician you may work primarily on active duty side with all briefings or the another side that deals with strictly with active duty soldiers who has pay issues.
Pros
depending on what GS positon you apply for normally a GS 5, pay is okay depending on what position your assigned to, over time when inspectons come around
Cons
depends what position you work in co workers training suck, long hours over nonsence, grumpy co workers
Veterans
CCP Military Retired Pay Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 16, 2017
It is a wonderful place to work with a feeling of accomplishment in helping our retired military veterans receive their pay for services rendered to our country.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
antiquated computer systems
Great Job Work/Life Balance
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYApril 5, 2017
Great benefits with PTO, company match on retirement, telework, and easy work. Good luck with advancement! Hardest part of the job, is not falling asleep.
Pros
Great work/life balance. No cap on accrual of sick time off
Cons
Little room for advancement.
Account Payable
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILFebruary 15, 2017
A typical day was viewing accounts and working the mail room. I learned had to view accounts for errors. I enjoyed my manager because he was professional and kept his mind on the goal of the department. The work culture was diverse with military wives. The hardest part of the job was getting to what after a heavy snow fall. I enjoyed processing the payments in a timely fashion.
Pros
Great Job
Best experience ever!!!!!
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 9, 2016
Working as a Accounting Technician for Defense Finance and Accounting Service was the best experience I have ever had in the government sector. The people where awesome and helpful, just a reliable group of great folks. My supervisor was very compensate and understanding. She took me under her wing when we find out it was closing and starred me in the right direction on things to do. I still after all these years keep in touch with a select few co-workers. Even though I had to drive an hour to get there I would not tried this experience ever......the Marine Corps Rocks!!!!!
Pros
Onsite education on your lunch hour or after work, appreicated for the work that you do.
Cons
Government closing reduction in force.
Opportunity
Financial Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 20, 2015
I like the environment because it allows employees to work independently and has many opportunities for advancement for those who wish to strive to reach the top.
Tipical Civil Service Job
Voucher Examiner for Navy Vendor Pay ills (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 27, 2015
Met all requirements on a day to day basis to ensure that iscal accounts were ready when year end budget was to be projected.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Brac
Back stabbing co-workers, bosses promote their favorite "pets", seniors do nothing but wait around to retire
Account Tech/Military Pay (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYJuly 23, 2015
Dfas, Rome, Travel Dept. sucks! The co-workers were selfish when I worked there. Didn't want to help out. Spread rumors on people who didn't fit in with the drinking crowd. The people I know that still work there tell me that things have not changed. High turnover rate. A year to 2 years ago, many supervisors in the Travel Dept. were DEMOTED for violating the code of conduct, playing favorites etc. The practice still continues but they are being more careful not to get caught.
Pros
Private cubicle with landline phone, health benefits
Cons
Poor management, promotions are based on who you fratenize with and it's usually the supervisors or dept leads, fast past work must meet daitly quotas or else
great pace to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2015
Great company
I learned many things to help me in future jobs
Management was good
co-workers were great, always helped
enjoyable part was plenty of work to do, and helping the people that we served
Pros
Great company
Overworked & underpaid
technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioMay 11, 2015
This company will will work VERY HARD & get paid as little as they can get away with. HIgh turnover in supervision & management. Supervision & management does NOT know the work they are supervising/managing & expects "the help" to get the work done on time. Turnover for "the help" is higher than for supervision/management - as soon as "the help" get a little bit of experience, they are looking & find work elsewhere. DFAS is constantly training new "help". Little effort to keep the trained "help" is made. Suppose it is cheaper to overwork barely trained "help" the trained "help".
Pros
you get a paycheck every two weekls
Cons
you will work VERY hard for peanuts
Dfas
Accountant GS (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46249April 13, 2015
Have enjoyed working with the Government, but I have ties in San Diego and I need to relocate. For older siblings. The work is good but a different culture from working in a corporate setting.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Indianapolis weather
Interesting and fast paced work environment
Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2015
Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) is a great place to work. I enjoyed it because of the number of people I interacted with to complete my job assignments. Other co-workers were kind, courteous and provided information timely. All managers had an open door policy and were very supportive. The hardest part of the job was the requirement to work overtime, working late in the evening and most Saturdays. The most enjoyable part of the job was the spirit of teamwork and camaraderie. It was busy and challenging work, but we were all in it together.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Long working hours