Defense Finance and Accounting Service Employee Reviews

Best experience ever!!!!!
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 9, 2016
Working as a Accounting Technician for Defense Finance and Accounting Service was the best experience I have ever had in the government sector. The people where awesome and helpful, just a reliable group of great folks. My supervisor was very compensate and understanding. She took me under her wing when we find out it was closing and starred me in the right direction on things to do. I still after all these years keep in touch with a select few co-workers. Even though I had to drive an hour to get there I would not tried this experience ever......the Marine Corps Rocks!!!!!
Pros
Onsite education on your lunch hour or after work, appreicated for the work that you do.
Cons
Government closing reduction in force.
Back stabbing co-workers, bosses promote their favorite "pets", seniors do nothing but wait around to retire
Account Tech/Military Pay (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYJuly 23, 2015
Dfas, Rome, Travel Dept. sucks! The co-workers were selfish when I worked there. Didn't want to help out. Spread rumors on people who didn't fit in with the drinking crowd. The people I know that still work there tell me that things have not changed. High turnover rate. A year to 2 years ago, many supervisors in the Travel Dept. were DEMOTED for violating the code of conduct, playing favorites etc. The practice still continues but they are being more careful not to get caught.
Pros
Private cubicle with landline phone, health benefits
Cons
Poor management, promotions are based on who you fratenize with and it's usually the supervisors or dept leads, fast past work must meet daitly quotas or else
Productive work environment
Military Pay Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJDecember 9, 2012
Processing soldiers pay - start and stop soldiers pay that are going on or off active duty.
I learned how to work with units with a vast number of soldiers. Great people skills was a primal requirement.
Great coworkers ready to step into eachothers work resposibilities to get the job done when necessary. Great comradery.
Most enjoyable of this job was taking care of the soldiers.
Hardest part was the long hours when vast numbers of units were to be processed.
Management needed a little help with the distribution of responsibilities.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
long hours when necessary
My work day
AR and AP Technician: (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 19, 2012
Research and correct all items that did not process through the automated SAP program:

-Run the ZK listing and research and correct postings.

-Research ZJs and correct as needed.

-Research and correct variances.

-Research and respond to customer requests.

I have only worked in the AP area since October with this SAP program and I learn something new frequently. My day moves very quickly as I have plenty to keep me busy.

We work together as a team to support our customers.

The hardest thing I have had to encounter was working for a smaller customer and not having enough work to keep me busy each day. Even after notifing management, I spent months with little to do.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
consistency in management
Interesting and fast paced work environment
Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2015
Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) is a great place to work. I enjoyed it because of the number of people I interacted with to complete my job assignments. Other co-workers were kind, courteous and provided information timely. All managers had an open door policy and were very supportive. The hardest part of the job was the requirement to work overtime, working late in the evening and most Saturdays. The most enjoyable part of the job was the spirit of teamwork and camaraderie. It was busy and challenging work, but we were all in it together.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Long working hours
Stable job with good benefits and coworkers
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 30, 2012
Typical day involved helping coworkers understand large payroll system and work on requirements analysis for system changes. Management was generally supportive but not always on top of what was going on. Coworkers generally friendly but not always very competent technically. Hardest part of job was dealing with bureaucratic inertia.
Pros
good benefits, stability, collegial work environment
Cons
dealing with managers, large slow-moving bureaucratic structure
Busy and productive place of business.
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 25, 2013
I had to answer on average 60 calls a day but exceeded that. I learned that helping others also benefits you. I had very helpful and considerate managers and co-workers. The entire staff would work together as a team to get things done. The hardest part of the job was giving customers bad news and not being able to resolve their issues. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people and making a difference in their life.
Pros
helpful co-workers.
Cons
short lunch breaks and not being able to become a permanent employee.
Good starter job
Financial Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 21, 2012
This was a good first professional job. I was put into a type of management trainee program and was exposed to different areas of the agency. There wasn't a lot of work assigned to me in my roles, therefore, I didn't learn a ton. Hardest part of the job was dealing with day in and day out with nothing to do. Most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships made with co-workers in the same program I was in.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
boring
Tipical Civil Service Job
Voucher Examiner for Navy Vendor Pay ills (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 27, 2015
Met all requirements on a day to day basis to ensure that iscal accounts were ready when year end budget was to be projected.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
BRAC
Secure Job not much advancement
Military Pay Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Good place to work, compensation is good based on what you have to do. Opportunity for advancement is very political.
stable organization to work for with good benefits.
Accounting Technician-A/P - Prevalidation Team (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 6, 2014
Stable organization to work for with good benefits. Diverse environment and things are constantly changing.
Overworked & underpaid
technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioMay 11, 2015
This company will will work VERY HARD & get paid as little as they can get away with. HIgh turnover in supervision & management. Supervision & management does NOT know the work they are supervising/managing & expects "the help" to get the work done on time. Turnover for "the help" is higher than for supervision/management - as soon as "the help" get a little bit of experience, they are looking & find work elsewhere. DFAS is constantly training new "help". Little effort to keep the trained "help" is made. Suppose it is cheaper to overwork barely trained "help" the trained "help".
Pros
you get a paycheck every two weekls
Cons
you will work VERY hard for peanuts
Challenging and demanding with an expectation that an employee can meet production and quality requirements
Supervisor of Military Active and Retired Pay (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 4, 2013
While working for the government there is an expectation of meeting a production and quality requirement for evaluations. These standards extremely attainable. While working for Military and Retired pay I learned how to compute accounts to ensure that the members were receiving the correct pay. Management was interested in teaching the newer employees so that they succeed in expanding their goals. Co-worker were also willing to assist the newer employees so they can succeed at their goals. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with difficult members. The challenge was to solve difficult issues and explaining the solutions to the satisfaction of the member.
great pace to work for
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2015
Great company
I learned many things to help me in future jobs
Management was good
co-workers were great, always helped
enjoyable part was plenty of work to do, and helping the people that we served
Pros
Great company
Excellent Benefits
Call Center Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 15, 2012
We had 1 hour lunches.
Two weeks paid vacation after 6 months
Paid personal days
Paid disability after 1 year
We spoke with people about telephone (landline0 services. We placed orders and discussed bills. The hardest part of the job was trying to upsell while calling to disconnect service due to over due bills. The co-workers were always willing to help the new people. We had each others back.
As a manager I learned what you cannot do for all you do not do for anyone. There is no special treatment or favoritisim.
Pros
longer lunch hours
Cons
upset customers
Supervisory
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2014
*Challenging and rewarding days at work typically
*Learn to always stay positive
*Most knowledgable and experienced management team
*Best intuitive personnel as co-workers
*Not having the answere for customers in the hardest part of job
*Having the answer for customers in the most enjoyable part of job
Pros
Maintain positive attitude and effective communication
Cons
Lack of training or knowledge
Challenging, place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYJune 8, 2014
I started as technician and went back to school and became a Financial Management Analyst/Accountant.

I loved the job when I was a Supervisor. My team respected me and I respected them.

With new management and new "blood" came disrespect of mu 15 years of knowledge.

The hardest part of my job was doing briefings.
Pros
Money - time off
Cons
Terrible leadership & management
Loved this job!
composed and drafted updated employee manuals (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 15, 2014
I learned to travel and do travel arrangements
My co-workers were great.
The hardest part of the job was it moved to Indianapolis, IN.
Management was good.
I got to learn about the how the government deals with finances.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
did not last
An OK company to work for
Military Pay Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McPherson, GAJuly 31, 2012
The problem with DFAS is that they hire people but do not hold them to standards. I worked with people who obviously did not care about really helping the military with their pay issues and were just sitting around waiting to retire. There were only a few of us who really cared and took the time needed to get problems fixed. Everyone else was just there to collect a check and expected others to do their work.
Dfas
Accountant GS (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46249April 13, 2015
Have enjoyed working with the Government, but I have ties in San Diego and I need to relocate. For older siblings. The work is good but a different culture from working in a corporate setting.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Indianapolis weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Defense Finance and Accounting Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service Reviews by Location