Defense Support Services Employee Reviews in United States

Productive Working Environment.
Safety Observer/Quality Control Representative (Current Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CASeptember 13, 2015
A work environment that is supportive and productive with a proactive union that supports its workers. The core management within the site has a high turnover rate which equates to a disconnect between the leadership and its subordinates. The company at times selects personnel formerly in the senior enlisted corps of the military.
Pros
Morning and Afternoon Breaks, Travel Detachments, Pay Raises.
Cons
Management Politics, No Upward Mobility.
US Navy
DS2 NDI TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 22, 2016
I would encourage all youths with no career path in mind after graduating high school to join the military. The discipline and knowledge you gain while serve your country in priceless.
No raise and no advancement
Material Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 30, 2014
DS2 has some of the most incompetent managers I've ever seen. They have no idea what they're doing and management style is poor at best. The work load is ok, but the compensation does not equal what you are required to do. Don't expect a raise, and don't expect to move up in this company.
Cons
bad management
The upper management at Defense support services at SAFB are morally bankrupt
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXApril 5, 2013
If you rat people out for silly things, such as: stopping for a water, not backing up with a spotter, etc.. you get a coin, hooray. BEWARE THIS IS A UNION JOB, I know, it sounds good, but I promise you will regret EVER stepping foot in such a morally bankrupt organization. The only good part were my co- workers, in the same shop. By the way if you tell the truth you may lose your job, it's best to lie at this company, to the management, if you want to keep your job... IF
Pros
health insurance, pay, and benefits
Cons
you are just a number... not very personal, except the people you immediately work with.
Great place to work, motivated workers, interesting aircraft to maintain.
Aircraft Mechanic III/Group Lead (Former Employee) –  Hurlburt Field, FLOctober 2, 2012
DS2 was a big change from the previous contract holder, L3 Communications. We only worked a year with them before Lockheed Martin took over. The benefits were good and we did have a good relationship with upper management, however the esteem we felt with L3 was missing.
Pros
great customer relationship, fair working relationship between workers and management, great opportunity to work/learn about other aircraft.
Cons
short time with contract, union negotiations on-going, not as well-organized, less willing to provide needed uniforms.
Great place to work, good compensation.
A-18 Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic (Former Employee) –  MCAS MiramarApril 14, 2014
Great place to work with good compensation and benefits. Management and co-workers were friendly and the company was open to employees suggestions through the union.
Pros
great compensation
Cons
contract
Fun workplace with pooltable and gym.
Material Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2015
It's a nice place to work if you've retired from another job and already have income, i.e. 50+ seniors. However, if you have a family to support, have any ambitions of eventually being more than a grunt or want some place where everyone is treated equally, this is not for you.
Pros
Easy job, laid back, gym.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement.
Tight hangar, and a tight crew.
Aircraft Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, New YorkSeptember 1, 2015
Worked in a tight hangar amongst a bunch of grunt-level mechanics. Learned how much I had forgotten, and how much I still have to learn.
Great place to gain work experience
AV-8B/ T-39D Avionics (Current Employee) –  China Lake, CAJanuary 10, 2013
Ds2 is a great company to work for with outstanding benefits
Pros
great company
Cons
little room for advancement/promotion
Food Service
Stock Clerk/Tools and Parts Attendant (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 9, 2015
My typical day at work was to prepare breakfast, lunch, and dinner for mental ill patients and drug abuse patients. I learned to have a lot of respect for the mentally ill and drug abuse patients. I also had to maintain patients due to taking breaks and assists other co-workers with help for the particular patient. The hardest part of the job was seeing how hard each patient life was. The enjoyable part of the job was how well the employees got along with the patient.
Pros
Cookouts
Cons
Patients came in really sick
Professional atmosphere overall.
Electronics Tech3/team leader (Former Employee) –  Tobyhanna, PAMarch 23, 2012
Decent working environment. Employees very professional and easy to work with.
Pros
ample overtime and opportunities to advance
Cons
benefits could be improved.
Productive workplace
Lead Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAMay 20, 2014
Great company to work for. Great benefits. I loved getting paid every week along with receive pre diem. Great co-workers.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
short breaks
Contract company
Federal Contractor (Former Employee) –  washington, DCMay 15, 2015
The management is manuplitive and will only side with person whom have been on the contract the longest...even if they are the ones causing the hositle work enviroment.
Productive and great work environment
Plane Captain (Former Employee) –  China Lake, CAMay 16, 2015
I learned how the Navy conducted business. It was a testing facility so it was interesting to see the difference between Cobras and Apaches. Considering how they are similar in some ways.
Pros
Great experience learning the different airframes
Cons
Enjoyed working for ds2 !
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCAugust 10, 2014
During my employment with DS2, I was a valuable asset to this company, and was very I was truly enthused about reporting for work each and every day. The management was second to none, and the work atmosphere was excellent. The hardest part of the job, was the beginning of the reset maintenance, and the most enjoyable part was finishing the maintenance before the deadline, knowing that my efforts contributed to the Aircraft being done before expected.
Pros
being part of a team, that completed the maintenace in a timely manner.
Cons
not always having the man power and parts needed to perform my job.
Prodcutive work invironment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Barstow,CAOctober 16, 2013
I inventoried military vehicle parts that had been refurbished . I learned what different parts go to HUMMMERS, AAV'S, and tanks from hoods, guns that attach and how to place them in the correct places. The management was ok they would treat us the civilian workers different from the marines on base plus they lost their contract which resulted in my lay off as well as others, the coworkers were excellent and the hardest part of the job was their time management with letting us no if we had to stay after work or other situations and would threaten our jobs if we could not do what they needed on short notice but the best part was meeting different military men from different states with different stories about what they went through and he experience with working side by side with the marines.
Pros
was able to be on a military base with real marines
Cons
short breaks and lack of communication
Worst Company I have ever worked for
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort Carson, COFebruary 2, 2014
Typical Day includes showing site manager what his job function is. Site and Program manager allows "government over site " to run the site, they dictate who gets promoted and hired. Management doesn't support the employees. They make you take all these ethics class, but its unethical from the top. Hiring based on who you know. Job posting tailored to make sure some people qualify and others don't. Management co-hearses employees to write HR complaints against each other, in hopes of demoting one and promoting the other in a attempt to appease the government.
Weather days, if post is closed..you don't get paid..even though the customer has already paid for the man hour shortages, they gave X amount of dollars, for X amount of people for X amount of days...but if you are sent home for weather or whatever..you use vacation or don't get paid. Highly recommend a Union if you do have to work for them.
Medical/dental/Vision cost more that 200 a week for a family of 4.
Most unethical, poorly ran company I have ever seen. If you can avoid working for them..I highly recommend it.
Defense Support Services
Supply Technician/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCMarch 19, 2013
Processed deployed units requisitions for repair parts of vehicles and engineer assets. I learned to work within extreme time constraints. Management did not interact with personnel well. Co-workers were awesome to work with. The hardest part of the day was working with Management. The most enjoyable part of the day was working with the mechanics and getting them their parts.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
politics
Good work atmosphere and working condtions
Very good leadership and management (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCSeptember 8, 2014
I truly enjoyed the position of Aircraft Mechanic, with DS2. My co workers were dedicated and devoted to performing reset maintenance on the OH 58 I/D KIOWA AIRCRAFT. The teams leads and the Aircraft Electricians and Sheet metal personnel were among the best, and were very knowledgeable on the maintenance to be performed to perform the reset maintenance in a timely manner.
Pros
i enjoyed the time spent at the hangar, and the overtime was great.
Cons
parts needed to be preform my job and weren't always on hand, and made it very difficult to meet the time constraints to complete the reset maintenance.
Good Job for those in the Aviation field
Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJanuary 12, 2013
* it's a 9-5 aviation job
* a lot of exposure to different aviation companies and joint forces gives an individual insight on the entire aviation community
* management changes every so often, some are good and others are better
* the hardest part of the job is the physical demands and adjusting to never ending change
* the most enjoyable part of the job is how unique it is
Pros
the hours and vacation/sick time, i enjoy working on aircraft so, i have a chance to go to work and do something i actually like.
Cons
short lunch break, demanding field