DeKalb County, GA Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
pay low but job satisfaction is high
Firefighter/EMT (Former Employee) –  Tucker, GAFebruary 20, 2017
You will run a lot of calls and get a lot of experience. Guys that have moved up remember where they came from and act accordingly. Good busy department. Pay isnt great but if you want to run calls this is the place to be
Urban Police Work
Master Police Officer (Current Employee) –  DeKalb County, GANovember 12, 2016
One can gain a lot of experience in a short time at DeKalb County. Supervisors will always seek to cover themselves rather than take care of the troops. Never had a bad experience of this nature but all employees know the deal. You are on your own.
Pros
Good training and experience
Cons
High crime, dangerous work, little appreciation
Enjoyable job serving a diverse community.
Elected Member, Board of Commissioners (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAApril 22, 2016
A typical day included dealing with constituency requests, reviewing upcoming issues.

I learned all about zoning, budget, personnel and the art of working in a political environment.

We had excellent management, but were all elected officials with an equal say in management.

Most of my co-workers were wonderful. Some trouble with those in the opposite party!

Lots of nights and weekend meetings all over the county. Running for re-election.

Sponsoring and passing important laws: a tree protect ordinance, founding a battered women's shelter, expanding gun restrictions, working to preserve neighborhoods.
Pros
Prestige of being an elected official.
Cons
Consuming hundreds of pages of technical information.
co-workers
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GANovember 28, 2015
Calm atmosphere with supportive management team. Coworkers are cohesive in getting the job done for that particular day.We are there to help each other when necessary.
was a nice envirnment but was also challenging
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Scottdale, GAOctober 25, 2015
I work at two camps this past summer. the first head summer camp counselor didn't seem like they knew what they needed to do? so on one of the sick days that I took, she informed me that "I didn't need to come back to the camp and that she relocated me to my new camp". At the second camp it was cool and calm. The head camp counselor over there was hostel. and if felt like by me being the newbie everyone was telling me to stand clear of the head counselor.
Pros
the kids
Cons
no lunch breaks, the heat

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeKalb County, GA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3