DeKalb County Government Employee Reviews

Worst ever.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 28, 2017
Worked in Planning and Sustainability, one of the worst departments in the county. Very unethical culture, nothing happens after reporting people for taking bribes. Directors and Associate directors have no leadership skills, they lie and they plot against (as do lower level employees, they literally make up stuff) you when you do not go along with the culture of the department. There is absolutely no integrity. No one is held accountable for their work responsibilities, too busy spending their time talking and wasting time. Employees are rude and disrespectful to customers. HR tells all your business and are not terminated. Your personal information, only given to HR is spread throughout the department as well as other departments.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant and Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 9, 2017
Started part time as an intermediate clerk. Worked my way up to Administrative Assistant. Revenue Collections to Fire and Rescue. Great place to work. Retired after 30 years.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Great working with the public
Office Assistant/Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GA 30032July 9, 2017
This job is great, made a lot of friends and I got the chance to work with some amazing people. To serve the public with the legal office and made an impact on some families lives.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Relaxed, work-based and also family oriented environment
PAYROLL TECH (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 5, 2017
Work at DeKalb is rewarding as long as you do your assignments. It is relaxed with a work-base environment but family environment as well. It is set up for a day to day task filled day and you know mostly what each day expects of you.
Pros
most departments get an hour for lunch
Cons
sometimes pay increases takes a while
Awesome place to work always busy!
Permit Technician/'Front Desk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GA 30030June 27, 2017
I was there over fourteen years and I learned a lot. It was always fun to work there and we learned a lot; I met so many people/contractors/builders. I learned a lot also! Very awesome experience.
Productive and fun place to work
Extension Services (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJune 22, 2017
Worked for Extension Services; Great group of people and always willing to teach and help others. Everything was great but it is a county job so the pay is not top notch.
same job
Principal Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAMay 31, 2017
I was just startng and was welcomed to the job freindly people no mind games. treated me like family . benifits was great . vacation time afford was great .
Pros
leaned a lot made good freinds
Cons
out dooors in the winter
Very good place to work
GIS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 30, 2017
I worked in the office and it was a nice place to work I was a contractor. My boss was very supportive and supplied what I needed to complete my job everyday.
great place to work under new management
Senior Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 26, 2017
The most enjoyable experience was learning, meeting new employees with great personalities. Uncertainty, unsure, over worked and no raises when deserved.
Pros
Cons
short breaks
Work place was not very good.
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 25, 2017
County was good to work for. A typical day at work was pleasant. Workers were friendly and helpful to each other. The work place needed remodeling or upgrade.
Its all about who you know
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2017
Very little chance of career advancement if you do not know the right people. A new CEO has been elected hopefully things will change in time.

The overall company moral is very low and so are the salaries, unless you were hired by a friend....
data entry
Training Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAApril 24, 2017
I obtained more computer software skills here. This was my introduction to Excel. Also, sharpened organizational and interpersonal skills here. Maintained databases and filing systems.
Moral has gotten increasingly bad over the past 9 years
District Attorney IT Administrator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAApril 7, 2017
Moral has gotten increasingly bad over the past 9 years. Senior management and elected officials are responsible for the decline of morale. The compensation package has not kept up with inflation.
A sometimes stressful place to work
driver (Current Employee) –  DeKalb County, GAMarch 21, 2017
on a typical day on the job you will ride the route and pick up either yard trimming, recycle or trash which ever that management perfered you do. On this job i learned how to drive a class b cdl vehicle. The hardest part of the job is some time there is a lot of trash out there.
Human Resource Department does not hire the right people
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAMarch 9, 2017
DeKalb County works on the "good old boy" system...its all about who you know if you want to be promoted or advance here. I think a lot of good people are passed up for jobs.
No support
Sr Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAMarch 1, 2017
The big thing that was disappointing at this company was the lack of support from your direct supervisor. Even though your direct supervisor knew what was going on with other staff members trying to get rid of you, she ignored it
Cons
you will get a ulcer
I've earely await my next chpater
Compliance Policy & Procedure Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GAJanuary 12, 2017
DeKalb County Government has suited me well for the past 13 years. It's no surprise the monetary compensation isn't the best, however it would be nice for them to find other methods to keep employees engaged. The fringe benefits are nice comparable to those in the private sector. Overall, I wish the culture was more inclusive and eagerly await my new journey into Human Resources.
Pros
healthcare, banked vacation/holidays
Cons
salary
okay
Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GADecember 21, 2016
Just not willing to place my opinion on this job. I do not want to influence anyone's decision on taking or not taking a job with the county. That is their choice.
Productive and inspiring work environment
Elections Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 17, 2016
Productive and inspiring work environment with expert staff members to provide the best administrative support for the public possible. Very driven staff members who are engaged in the work and fully committed.
Great Company
Director of Communications and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAAugust 18, 2016
AWESOME Organization. I would recommend it to others looking for a great opportunity in the senior market place. Dedicated staff and leaders........