DeKalb County School District

DeKalb County School District Employer Reviews

Challenging Work Environment
2nd Grade Teacher (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GANovember 16, 2014
A typical day is busy and full of challenging issues that require you to think outside the box to find a solution to a problem. Coworkers are there to support you and help when needed, although, management is not always as willing or able. The most difficult part is trying to balance the myriad of problems that arise while remembering your intended – more... purpose to solve those problems at hand, quickly and efficiently. the most enjoyable part, however, is when you are able to see a student, or peer, thrive and grow from a challenging experience of their own. – less
The school district is student focused.
Counselor (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GANovember 7, 2014
Pros: work friendy environment
Cons: teacher burnout
My experience was good and I implemented the goals and responsibilities of the counseling program successfully.
Valuable source of practical work experience
Clerical Substitute (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GAOctober 9, 2014
I work with very professional and dedicated individuals who have allowed me to learn from them in a pleasant working environment. I enjoy the different challenges you face on a daily basis as a legal professional. This was a great entry-level paralegal experience.
The lowest pay in metro Atlanta
Teacher (Current Employee), Lithonia, GAOctober 4, 2014
Pros: the students, teaching, and some of the schools
Cons: pay, benefits, work/life balance
If you are not part of a sorority or friends and family plan, it will be very difficult to advance in this county. In addition, you will not make much money if you have been teaching for more than five years because they have only given a 1% raise in 7 years. If you are teaching here, you need to be married to someone who has a job that makes decent – more... money. Otherwise your salary will go backwards, and they will work you like a Hebrew slave.

The culture and morale of the county is low, but some schools are excellent. I have worked at three different schools, and it is different at each. As far as the kids are concerned. Kids will be kids, but classroom discipline and strong parental involvement is the driving factor in any school. – less
Assistant Principal (Current Employee), DeKalb, GASeptember 28, 2014
DeKalb County School District is a great school system for employment. Unfortunately, advancement is sometimes based on who you know.
Good place to work and further your career in the education profession!
Student Support Specialist-Prevention/Intervention (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAAugust 24, 2014
Good place to work and further your career in the education profession!
My work was very productive because I felt that the Student received quality information.
Retired Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: i like working in an environment that encouraged students learning.
Cons: the most difficult part of the job working with minimal learning material.
A typical day in the classroom is receiving the students and preparing them with instructions that would ensure a great learning environment. I learned that all students look for someone to nurture them in a way where they feel comfortable enough to open their minds for thinking.
My co-workers thanked me for being the person to really consider the students – more... needs. The hardest part of the job was to help students to understand that children come from different back grounds but all must be treated equal. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I see a student's eyes light up after solving a problem that they though was very difficult. – less
Productive and great work environment
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee), GeorgiaAugust 11, 2014
Work day is pleasant and fulfilling. Great Administrators and supportive staff.
Dekalb County Schools
Teacher (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GerogiaJune 26, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: state health plan is expensive
Great district to work for. District has the highest number of teachers with advanced degrees. The district ensures that teachers are educated and up-to-date regarding best instructional practices.
Rewarding Career and Interesting Working Environment
Media Specialist, Webmaster (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAJune 14, 2014
A typical day at work involves a lot of team building, customer service, multitasking and technology integration. I have been able to administer at strong media program. Also, I have been able to support the local and district administration of policies and procedures and manage print and non-print materials, equipment, personnel and patrons. My management – more... experience varies from managing staff and volunteers in providing library services to patrons to managing a budget of about $10,000 to purchase materials to support student achievement. My co-workers and I collaborate weekly to plan learning opportunities and events that are meant to excite students about their learning. The hardest part of the job is providing a full host of services such as: information literacy learning opportunities, material circulation, special guest speakers and academic safety net programs with a limited support staff. The most enjoyable part of being a Media Specialist is in serving the needs of my patrons. – less
DeKalb is a large school district that needs a lot of restructuring...
Lead for Special Education/ Facilitator (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GAJune 6, 2014
The morale is extremely low. DeKalb has not offered a raise in over 7 years and has reduced the salaries of so many employees. The turnover is extremely high in the special education department.
Bus Driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAApril 13, 2014
Not so fun place to work. Payroll messed up my check a lot. Management skills aren't acceptable.
Great hours for most positions
Accountant (Former Employee), Tucker, GAMarch 21, 2014
I loved my coworkers, they made the day go by fast. There were a lot of problems with higher ups that was displayed on the news that resulted in jail time for some people.
Stressful working environment
EDUCATOR (Current Employee), Decatur, GAMarch 9, 2014
Stressful work days filled with a multitude of kids with varying personalities
6-8 Middle School with about 900 students
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GAFebruary 7, 2014
A typical workday starts with trying to get students to class on time. After finally getting them where they belong, my colleagues and I begin with a warm-up to get there minds going. I teach 8th grade math, and most times the students think it's more challenging than the rest of their subjects. The class size is between 30-34 students per class, and – more... it can be somewhat difficult to keep them focused during that 55 minute class time. The hardest part of my job is being able to reach each individual student where they are and unify them to a point where they all can be successful by the end of the year, but that is my job and I try everyday to achieve that goal. The most enjoyable part of my job is when my students feel proud when they have accomplished a goal that they thought were difficult. – less
Great administrative staff.
Teacher (Former Employee), Bethune Middle SchoolFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: admin
Cons: pay
Very challenging environment with 85% of the students on free or reduced lunch. Title I school. You must be firm, fair, and consistent when implementing discipline on any level. The most challenging thing was to create assignments relevant to my students daily.
Enjoy working with Elemantary school kids
INSTRUCTIONAL KINDERGARTEN PARAPROFESSIONAL (Current Employee), Scottdale, GAFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: 9 month school school with paid summers off, free field trips
Cons: healthcare, short breaks
Teaching Kindergarten students from various ethnic backgrounds in the following areas, math science, language arts, and reading. I have learned to deal with 20 students based upon their personalities and how to teach different students on a different level of learning.

My principal/boss is awesome. She cares about her school and her employees.

The – more... hardest part of my job is telling a student no when I am trying to teach them to work on their behavior when the result is crying.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I have made a difference in a child's life at the end of the day. – less
Busy, but satisfying.
Special Educator (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GAJanuary 31, 2014
I balance the enormous, but necessary amount of paperwork with exciting and creative face-time with students.
Teaching first grade
Teacher (Current Employee), Panola Way Elementary SchoolJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: healthy environment, great coworkers
Cons: trancient community.
This is my second year teaching first grade. I have been a teacher at this elementary school since 2007 and I have taught fourth and fifth grades as well. I decided to go to a lower grade to refocus on teaching. In the upper grades, there was a lot of discipline issues because the students were not prepared in the lower grades, which led to frustration – more... and missbehaviors. Most of the early grade teachers have not taught beyond third grade and therfor it seemed that the rigor of the curriculum was not there and the students seemed to be a little spoiled. So with me moving to the lower grades, I am able to encourage my coworkers to think outside the box and increase the rigor and our expectations by challenging the students with higher standards, more hands on task, more projects, and less coloring and busy work. – less
District that is going through revitalization
Professional Learning Facilitator (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GAJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: diverse district
Cons: pay reduction
This is a great district to work for. Teachers will gain in dept researched based strategies to increase students and prepare students for the global society.