DeKalb County School System Employee Reviews

It's teaching
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 20, 2017
It's doing what you have to do for he kids. The hours are okay...but when you chose to teach you adjust to a certain lifestyle and expectations. I love what I do.
fun
Driver (Current Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAJune 20, 2017
I love working with children. hours are great look for a higher salary and growth. Operate the bus in a safe and efficient manner on a route prescribed
Fast paced environment with scheduled requirements
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GAJune 19, 2017
Typical day includes preparation of food while following safety and recipe guidelines. My duties included preparing necessary food that was needed if it began to run low during lunch. Also to make sure the kitchen is clean and meets the Dekalb county nutrition code requirements.
Pros
Interaction with children, staff and teachers. Healthcare, weekends and holidays off
Cons
lack of employees, minimum pay raise
Challenging but productive
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAJune 13, 2017
Challenging but productive. It is always rewarding to know that one is helping and contributing to the overall success of a child in helping him/her become educationally and emotionally successful. The challenge lies in not being to always have the resources available to help children succeed and become their best.
Pros
Great working with children
Cons
Not always being able to properly cater to students' needs
ok
Special Education Teacher (MOID/MID) (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAJune 12, 2017
It is an ok place to work. The people that worked there really cared about the students we worked with on a day to day basis. The students were really nice to work with.
DeKalb School System
Paraprofessional/Kindergarten Special Education (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAJune 12, 2017
Rewarding job because you make a lasting impact in children's lives while teaching them important skills they'll need throughout life. Having a passion to work with children helps a lot.
Fun fast pace work environment very conducive for growth
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAJune 8, 2017
Handled data entry, clerical task and other administrative duties. Work with parents to ensure efficient enrollment for students,Provided additional support to other departments.
Hard work pays
VOLUNTEER LABORER (Current Employee) –  DeKalb County, GAJune 6, 2017
I worked cleaning schools 6 hours everyday. I had summer spending money so it was worth it. My brother and I would wake up around 7 o 'clock and would be finished around 1.
Pros
Free water and snacks
Cons
The hot building
Very relaxed setting
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJune 1, 2017
- Instructional and Technical Teaching
- Assisting teacher with lesson planning
- Assisting children with lavatory and grooming assistance
- One on One with students both individually and in group setting
- Assisting children with special needs
Pros
Relaxed setting
Good place to work if you have kids
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2017
6 am to 3 pm great hours. Several years with no raise but I really enjoyed the holiday and summer off days. Will work for the company again only under better cirumstances.
Pros
Holiday and Summer time off.
Cons
Not enough pay for the hours.
The county itself was ok to work for but South West DeKalb High School was the worse school I have ever worked.
Paralegal/food service/custodian (Former Employee) –  DeKalb County, GAMay 31, 2017
I was employed with DeKalb County School District for almost 10 years! I've worked at many different schools, as a result I've seen a lot and for the most part I loved my job and my employers. Eventually I decided to settle down and I chose to work for my alma mater South West DeKlab High School. I wanted to share my life experiences and wisdom with the new generation of my home school .The administration was so over bearing and tyrannic I just could not stay there any longer, not just me but lots of great teachers resigned or transferred. Teachers and staff members of all kinds are leaving that dreadful place. I truly hope they clean house soon.
Pros
certain positions summer off with pay
Cons
principals and bookkeepers incompetent with handling the money
Fun working there
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INMay 27, 2017
I overall really enjoyed working as a substitue. I typically worked at a low income school where students come from all different backgrounds. I really got to connect with them and build a relationship and a friendship with them. I taught them right from wrong and help them better themselves each and every day.
Horrible place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 26, 2017
No work/life balance and the people are horrible!!! Dummies in action with no skills from the top down. A who you know environment!!! The CEO, COO, and other management are not skilled at their positions. They are paid for figureheads. They have a lot of paid for degrees that they have little knowledge of. Too young to have any experience at anything. The staff is very disgruntle and hate the bosses. No one has a voice and they do not work with the children's interest as a priority. The kids should come first not the money that they are stealing with anonymous equipment orders that do not go to the kids but to staff and contractors that the CIO hires to do his job for him.
Love the Kids!
Educator/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2017
As a substitute teacher for many years (while working other careers) allowed me the opportunity to watch so many students mature, and graduate. It is a pleasure to wear more than one hat to help mold, and develop the students, including nurturing when needed.
Pros
Love working with kids of all ages
Cons
Occasional bad attitudes
Very little support from administration
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 16, 2017
I felt very unsupported by administration. The parents were not cooperative. While I was teaching and my parent became ill I was asked to resign instead of taking the FMLA.
Many unqualified people in positions they shouldn't be in.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 3, 2017
I don't feel like a professional in the atmosphere. Many employees get by with minimal amount of work. A typical day can be productive in many classrooms.
Pros
Steady job
Cons
Unprofessional
Special Ed Teacher day
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody,GAMay 2, 2017
Planning the day and how lesson provided. Also planning for class for extended learning time to assist developing skills that students had deficits in.
Carried a caseload and was responsible for coordinating IEP meeting. Keeping data for progress monitoring and reports.
I have learned had to better keep data to document progress of students. Improved my development of IEP's.
Management varied in methods and standards of expectation. I expected that since the same scale is used that the expectation would be similar. Management was not aware of my job responsibilities. Several occasions, my supervisor asked me about a task that was not part of my job. The supervisor would say he would look into it. The next time he saw me he would say "I was right"
The hardest part was working with some management that did not trust staff. At no time, did I give the administration a reason not to trust me.
My perception of the hardest part of the job was trying to please every parent. Each wanted their child to be the teacher's main focus. In fact, all students are important.
I have always enjoyed making a positive change or having an impact on a persons life
Pros
good hours
Cons
Lack of support in environment
Working with children gives your life purpose
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAApril 28, 2017
I enjoyed the day to day experience with the children. Being the first smiling face of their day and then the last before going home. I also enjoyed the field trips ans sporting events.
Pros
No weekends, holidays, summer
Cons
County funding
Depends on where you work
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAApril 28, 2017
I hear the schools in North Dekalb operate better than the ones in South Dekalb. There is a lack of consistency when it comes to implementing district initiatives. All schools pretty much do their own thing with little oversight from the district.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Lack of consistency throughout the district.
love teaching
Elementary/Middles Grades Teacher, Social Studies (Former Employee) –  DeKalb County, GAApril 24, 2017
I was responsible for the daily academic delivery of the common core curriculum to students in a highly organized and exciting classroom environment that is in lion best best practices for teachers.
Pros
the entire job
Cons
low parental involvement in economically challenged districts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeKalb County School System. Our community is ready to answer.

DeKalb County School System Reviews by Location