Dekalb Health Employee Reviews

Fast paced environment, enjoyable if you can get your work done before it becomes a game.
CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INMay 31, 2017
A typical day in the life of a CMA at DeKalb health is fast paced. You must be able to pick things up quickly and move forward. You will always learn something new, and you must be open minded when taking criticism. It is not to bash you or beat you down, but so you learn from a mistake the first time rather than continuing to make the same mistake.
Friendly people to work with
Billing Payment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INFebruary 7, 2017
A typical work day included working insurance denials and open insurance claims. I learned a lot about insurance web portals and the reasons that they deny claims. Management was hard to work for. The culture for the most part was good, nice people to work with. I really enjoyed being able to work on my own.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Management was hard to work for
Management is awful
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INNovember 4, 2016
new supervision and restruction has only hurt the hospital in a whole. alot of broken promises and pay was awful. Housekeeping is a broken department with new supervisors that dont know the job but was hired by best friend
Excellent Environment
ICU Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INSeptember 18, 2016
I love working for Dekalb! Staff is amazing! We are a smaller hospital so I think that the care is more individualized which is great and patients love it.
Food Service (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INAugust 9, 2016
Wonderful training! Dynamic place, but I have never worked anywhere they have spent so much time training in a kitchen. Great place to work! Great co-workers. Wish the kitchen was a little newer.
Excellent, Friendly Place to Work
RN (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INMay 18, 2016
People truly know and care about each other. Management cares about providing quality patient care and a good working environment for the employees.
Pros
Good pay, excellent work environment, caring management, good staffing levels
Cons
Limited room for advancement due to size of hospital.
Great workplace with a professional atmosphere
Cook/Dietary Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INApril 19, 2016
Overall I enjoyed working at DeKalb Health. Typically I worked a thirteen hour shift every week and a few nights a week. For the most part my co-workers did a great job in helping others.
Pros
free food
Cons
long shifts
Friendly staff, but the worst training experience I ever had!
food service (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INDecember 6, 2015
I trained for one week and was as lost on day 5 as I was on day 1. They expect you to train in the fast paced setting with no time to ask questions or write yourself notes because you are limited on time to get to the next task. This leads me to believe they are having 1 person do the job on 1 1/2 - 2 people. For the job your are expected to do it is not worth the pay. I believe the department I trained in could use some reorganization and more detail to cleanliness.
Pros
friendly staff for the most part
Cons
need a better approach to training new emplyees
Great starter position
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INJune 10, 2015
I have really enjoyed my time and experience at Dekalb Health. I came in at a time where the department was going through a transition stage so I have worked in the various shifts and roles needed throuout the day. I have settled in my usual hours now and love the stability of that. With my time here I have gained so much information on insurance, processing, rough explanation of the billing process, workers compensation cases, how medicaid and medicare work with different situation and so much more. I feel like every day you learn something new and there is always something changing so you have to stay on your toes, that may be the hardest thing to do some days. It's nice that there is never a day like the last but I am looking to find advancement in my field and I feel like that is extremely limited here.
Pros
Great benefits, tight knit co-workers, comfortable working conditions
Cons
Limited vacation time, constant open hours, rough communication
coworkers are great! management is awful
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb Health Auburn, INMarch 29, 2015
Administration and managers are awful. Currently on a pay freeze, yet big promises to new employees so be very careful of misleading information. Alot of good employees have left for very good reasons. Some with several years of employment. Not a good atmosphere at all.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay, lack of bonus, lack of any appreciation to current employees

Want to know more about Dekalb Health?

Ask a question
great co-workers
Housekeeping Technician (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INJanuary 21, 2015
Love working with my co-workers, I think management of housekeeping could use some work. There are a lot of promises made that aren't followed through.
Pros
fun co-workers
Cons
broken promises on advancement
Provides excellent patient care and overall positive working environment.
Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INJanuary 19, 2015
This is a very difficult decision to make. DeKalb Health and the Family Birthplace have been the best working experience I have ever had. The staff work together as a team, and staff memebers make giving excellent patient care top priority. Leaving will be difficult, however, moving from the area will make it a very long commute to continue working at Dekalb Health.
Pros
Work environment from management to patient care
Cons
downstaffing
DHMG management lacks professionalism, no people skills!
Front office (Former Employee) –  DHMGDecember 10, 2014
Overall management is awful! The DHMG administration and managers do not acknowledge or appreciate the employees they have working for them. Your just a number and if you don't follow the "crowd" they don't want you there. Very little room for advancement. Administration is horrible and do not stand behind their words!!!
Cons
No breaks, supervisor lacks people skills
A very stressful place to work during my last few years there.
Medicare Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INDecember 3, 2014
When I started working at this hospital, I loved it. It was a really great place to work, our benefits were wonderful, and it had a good name in our community, so I was proud to say I worked there. This is no longer the case. Over the last couple of years, I would say about 50 or more long-time employees like myself have been asked to retire if close to retirement age, or fired for some inoculate reason, and in my case, they didn't even put a reason on my termination papers. They gave no reason for terminating me at all. I dedicated my life to them for over 24 years, and until the last couple years, it was worth it.

My most enjoyable part of my job in any of the positions I held was in helping people.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No breaks other than lunch which was not paid. Benefits drastically reduced.
No job stability.
Imaging assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INSeptember 17, 2014
Very poor management that doesn't stand behind their word. No room for advancement. Very political atmosphere.
Pros
Small hospital.
Cons
No breaks. Limited staff. No employee dedication.
Team atmosphere
RN for 8 bed ICU (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INMarch 12, 2014
Each day in ICU is a learning experience. DeKalb encouraged growth of knowledge and skills.
Pros
Small hospital.
Cons
Complicated care patients were sent to bigger hospitals to provide for their needs.
Management is aweful!!
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INOctober 5, 2013
It's a very political place. Your just a number and if you don't follow the "crowd" they don't want you there. Very little room for advancement. Administration is horrible and do not stand behind their words!!!
Pros
Benifits
Cons
management
Treated like family
Surgery Secretary (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INJuly 17, 2013
DeKalb is a great place to work. Everyone is treated as equals, including the management. You are treated like family there. A typical day in surgery can be slow, or chaotic. Some days the phone is ringing off the hook to schedule surgeries and add on emergency surgeries, and other days there isn't a single phone call.
I have learned a lot from working at the hospital. It has helped me touch up on the terminology since school, and teach me new terminology.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dekalb Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8