Del Amo Hospital Employee Reviews

Full-time paid intern hours
Psychiatric Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Torrance, Carson, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Good place to get paid intern hours full-time. A typical day at work is busy and involves: psycho-social assessment, treatment and discharge plans, case management, group therapy, and crisis and clinical intervention. I learned a lot of different aspects and skills concerning inpatient and outpatient programs including prevention and substance abuse. I can say nothing negative or positive about management or work culture. Hardest part of the job: office politics and poor retention. The most enjoyable part of the job: seeing people get better.
Pros
A variety of learning experiences
Cons
Office politics and poor retention
a typical day
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 13, 2017
it was a interim job for me. I was in a shift that was manned by myself. I did learn how to be monotonous and independent. Had to trouble shoot issues on my own.

I just wasn't happy with the shift I was assigned to
Good starting position in Mental Health
Psychiatric Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 19, 2017
Low pay, not enough room for advancement and do not recognize the people who go above and beyond. They lose very good employees due to the lack of fair treatment.
Its a great place to start for anyone interested in a Psych Setting
Senior Psychiatric Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 12, 2017
Great people work at Del Amo Hospital who are dedicated to the patients safety, wellbeing, and recovery. I have never worked at place that emphasize HOW to work with patients in this kind of setting. At Del Amo Hospital, they teach you the tools one needs to work in this population and how to deal with patients who are in crisis. My former positions in mental health settings often employed authoritarian, strong-armed type people but at Del Amo Hospital, a lot of the staff ensure that the patients are treated with respect and dignity.
Pros
Great training for Behavioral Management
Cons
Patient census dictate staffing for the shift, so you may be cancelled at least once a week for some time.
Good place to work to gain experience
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 11, 2017
Everyday is an interesting experience with patients as well as staff. Like any place of employment you have your ups and downs but for the most part its pretty stress free. My only issue was employee support when it came to the patients and pay.
Pros
Meals available at an reasonable rate
Cons
Management more watchful of staff than patients and favorable of those they like/friends with
Good experience
Second Semester Nursing Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 1, 2017
Hospital was a very good place to learn in dealing with patients who had mental disorders. Staff was friendly and courteous. Worked with adults of all ages and school age children.
Still stinky
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 11, 2017
Nothing has changed much here. The same cast of characters causing trouble for people that are just trying to do their job and earn a living. Certain positions/disciplines are more enjoyable than others. Nursing is still in the pits. This company is dysfunctional right down to the core.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Management / Head of HR
Excellent
Psychiatric Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 10, 2017
It is a good place to work. It is not something for everybody but it is most definitely a place that feels like everybody cares about the well being of others.
Will teach you what real psych hospitals are like.
Psychiatric Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 6, 2017
The gossip here is strong. But on a professional level they're very concerned about their employees and want everyone to be safe. They had adequate training for deescalating dangerous situations with aggressive patients.
Extremely supportive administration
Intake (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 2, 2017
15 years of employment, with 5 promotions. Great culture with dedicated staff. Extremely supportive administration. Room for growth and internal promotion.
Pros
Supportive administration and great HR department
Cons
Below average compensation

Want to know more about Del Amo Hospital?

Ask a question
overworked
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 15, 2017
Poor Staffing.
Workplace Culture becomes very family like.
Hardest part of job is being overworked and under appreciated.
Most enjoyable part of the job is coworkers.
Pros
family like staff
Cons
overworked
Wonderful coworkers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAApril 13, 2017
Coworkers make going to the job easier. Coworkers are supportive and protective and help to keep each other safe at all times. Supportive staff and understanding management.
Patient safety and care.
Psychiatric assitant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAFebruary 25, 2017
Awareness of human behavior by observing mental and physical actions. Patient care, comfort and needs are required to manage patient care under treatment.
Pros
You will learn about psychiatry and psychology.
Cons
Short breaks
Lots of improvements throughout the years.
Hospital patient sitter (Current Employee) –  TorranceFebruary 23, 2017
I like working here coz coworkers are friendly some like family. Team work is key. Learned a lot regarding treatment plans, goal setting & documentations. I like what I do. I give medications. Talk with patients, keep them safe.
Pros
They pay for CPR, Training, tb-X-ray.
Cons
Far from where I live.
productive and fun workplace
Psychiatric Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAFebruary 20, 2017
excellent care centered around patients. great culture and good communication with staff. willing to work with staff and help out if staff is dealing with any personal issues of some sort.
The most enjoyable part of my job is.
Adjunctive Therapist (Current Employee) –  Carson, CANovember 10, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is planning special events and offering various incentives to patients to increase the patient census and improve quality of care. The first Wednesday of every month there is a banquet to honor patients that had perfect attendance. Then for patients for have perfect weekly attendance they received two gifts/souvenirs such as tolietries, clothes, food, etc. I enjoyed creating interventions and finding new ways to motivate and inspire patients to accomplish their treatment goals and find healthy coping mechanisms.
Pros
Catered lunch from pharmaceutical companies.
Cons
Short staffed
Enjoyed working with all the patients and the staff
Psychiatric Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 4, 2016
Del Amo Hospital was the first hospital I worked at after getting my Medical Assistant Certificate, and I've loved it ever since, working with patients of all illnesses, give me joy, to help those in need, and to see that you've made a difference in someone's life is priceless. Del Amo is a fun establishment to work at, you can work in several different areas of the hospital, Adults/Adolescents, geriatrics/multi-personality, just an enjoyable place to work at, I really enjoyed working there, the staff, the meetings, hospital functions, just a joy
Pros
A great place to work at
Cons
Not big enough, salary
A write up is waiting
Staff (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CADecember 30, 2015
I worked at this place. The pay wasn't the best but okay. I did not like being sweated about the time clock and having people look over my shoulder constantly. There is no professional environment. The company does not look out for its employees. There is a sense of a "good ol girls club."

It is hard to work at a place where your supervisor is always looking to write you up. That has always been a sign of poor management skills to me.
Pros
most co workers
Cons
pay, supervisors, time clock police
Productive and Rewarding
Psychiatric Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 10, 2015
Being at work knowing that your kindness and care helps patients with transitioning from homelessness to finding housing. We as mental health workers learn everyday that everyone needs a little help sometimes. Great co-workers and management makes the job easy but can be very stressful at times, but at the end of the day the main goal is to make sure the patient is taken care of.
Pros
Making a difference in someone's life
Cons
short breaks
Nice Mental hospital to work with/for
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CaAugust 12, 2015
You learn how to work with each type of groups, (youth, children and adults) and the severity of their mental condition. It is a fast paced job and you will need to be alert at all times.
Pros
Free Vacinations, Pto
Cons
short breaks, mental health, mentaly disturbed pt's, 8hour shifts