Delaware North

Delaware North Employee Reviews

Wonderful seasonal job that keeps one extremely busy.
Stand Manager (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MANovember 26, 2013
There are two distinctly different typical days of work at the Comcast Center. The first is the non event days. The typical non event day consists of taking in new shipments and carefully allocating the new inventory to all of the different points of sale and making sure that the inventory in each location remains consistent with what has been removed from the warehouse The small crew of workers assigned to this task usually divide into two or three groups and deliver the product as efficiently as possible. Once all new product is delivered the remainder of the day is dedicated to making sure all electronics (stoves refrigeration units, lights, etc.) are working correctly and fixing those that are not.

The second type of day is the far more fun and stressful of the two, event days. An event day for me begins with receiving the money that will be used for change, and I verify that the cash amount is correct. Having done that I check in with my general manager who tells me how much staff (a combination of cashiers and cooks) I will have under me today. I then proceed to my stand and ensure that everything is in working order. Once I am sure I begin to count all my inventory and make sure it is consistent with the spreadsheet that I have. I report any problems the commissary manager and wait for my staff to arrive. Some days there are new staff members and I am responsible for training them. There is usually an hour before the gates are open and thus we officially open. In this time I ensure that all staff feels fine about what they are doing, that enough product is readily available
  more... to the customers, and that I have all relevant information such as when intermissions are throughout the night. When the stand is officially open my job is to first and foremost handle any and all issues that come about. These issues are varied and differ greatly in degree. Whether it be a faulty Co2 canister causing product to be overly foamy or a customer with a question about a food allergy the stand manager is there to fix all problems. At regular times throughout the night I am also responsible for sweeping through the registers to limit how much cash is in them at a time, and counting that cash for deposits in a safe. Hearing and properly alleviating customer complaints is the hardest part of the job and oftentimes the most rewarding. There are some customers that are simply unreasonable and rude and these customers can make for some long days, but more often customers are genuinely curious or have legitimate concerns and helping these customers make dealing with the rare other type of customer bearable.Once the stand has closed for the night I ensure that everything is as clean as when the staff arrived and dismiss them from there. At this point I begin to count all the money still left from the time of the last sweep. Once I have my overall cash figure I begin to total all of the credit cards. (The reason for this is that even though there is a computer system keeping track the wifi in an outdoor venue is circumspect at best and it is best to double check) Having the sum of both of these figures I then count what is left of the inventory and write it down side by side with the starting figure. The difference of these two numbers gives items sold which I then multiply by the price of the item. Repeat this process 30 or so times (once for each product) and add them together and it should balance with the figure obtained by adding the cash and credit. When this is complete I pick up my things lock the stand behind me and report to my general manager about the days sales what my team did well or could have improved on and then my day is done.  less
Pros
great people and management
Cons
unpredictable and very long hours
Awe inspiring drive to work and people come to enjoy it from all over the world each day.
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZDecember 21, 2015
A typical day involved operating a cash register at the Desert View Trading Post and seeing that the floor was fully stocked, clean and neatly arranged. I would inventory, verify quantities of deliveries and store the new merchandise. The job at the cash register was the part that I enjoyed the most, getting to interact with people that were happy to be there. The visit here might have been a once in a lifetime experience and visit for them, or it might be that they bring friends and relatives by every time someone comes to visit them locally. I was able to suggest "must see" attractions in the area, tell them how to get to specific places and make lots of them laugh.
The management appreciated my dependability and job skills and I appreciated their efforts to make the job better for everyone. The hardest part of the job involved the supervisory duties when dealing with individuals that did not have a good work ethic and attitude and appeared not happy to be there, but help in this remote location was hard to come by. Computer, cash register or credit card machine problems were annoying, but were just a part of the everyday operation.
I certainly miss the grand location at the Grand Canyon, but need new places to explore and having just returned from Hawaii, the 48th state that I have visited, I want to get to Maine and Vermont, the only two that I have not visited.
Pros
I got to spend 7 months at one of the seven wonders of the world, that people enjoy visiting, was able to park my Travel Trailer close to my place of work, paid $35 per week for full hookup and propane.
Cons
80 miles from a real town, limited food service, limited cellphone coverage, limited internet access
Super fun and fast-paced. Great as a second job.
Retail Associate/ Vendor (Current Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJDecember 2, 2013
The main and probably best difference between working here and working at a normal retail location is that the people you are dealing with are fans and not merely customers. They have come to your venue to have a great time. Therefore, there are a lot less headaches than there would be at your basic retail store. We are trained and constantly drilled with GuestPath (certain customer service protocol), so all of my co-workers and I are always on our A-game. Since I was one of the first people hired for retail at this stadium, I have high seniority, meaning that I get called in to work outside of the football season for events like concerts, soccer games, and things like that. Usually for these smaller events, I get to work as a vendor and earn commission, which is often more than what I would make getting paid hourly. I get the best of both worlds because of my seniority, which I believe is very fair because it's like a perk for staying with the company for so long. They seems to hire new supervisors every season and I have noticed that they may not be trained as properly as they could be. On quite a few occasions, I have had to teach supervisors what they should already know, and I'm just an associate! This was perfect for me when I was in college because events are usually only once a week.
Pros
only once a week, good pay, newly offered healthcare, fun
Cons
only once a week, super long work days occasionally (one time i worked for 19 hours)
The experience was great
Multi Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 25, 2013
I was the closing supervisor. I worked with Microsoft excel a lot. I did all closing reports, sales reports, some of the orders and inventory reports. I managed over 2 bars, a Dunkin Donuts, Uno's, Pasha's dining restaurant, and two kiosks. I managed breaks and supervised over 20 people at a time. I got along with all my co-workers. I was liked by just about everyone because of respect. I'm big on teamwork. I do not mind helping my employees. However, I don't put up with slackers. I have no problem letting someone know when he or she is messing up, but again I do that respectfully. I say that the hardest job at DNC, truthfully, was that upper management didn't get involved enough with the employees. A lot of the employees felt like they were being treated with disrespect. I'm not trying to boast, but the truth is that when I worked with the employees under me, they enjoyed working with me. Even my terminal manager liked how I worked. I was good at monitoring waste and getting all required duties done earlier or on time. I enjoyed my job because I got along with just about everyone. I had to leave because their contract is expiring and another company is coming in. I'm looking forward to a brand new ball game.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
n/a
Out of touch with the operational needs of their company.
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 2, 2013
Work begins with a dread of answering phone messages because of the extreme number of staff callouts each day. Then it is a scramble to get all your outlets open on time with the limited team members that have showed up on time. While doing this you have to beg and scrounge from other locations and terminals to find product that was not ordered or was not available from the commissary. About this time your team members will inform you that the grill is not working again, only two out of four fryolators are working, and at least one of your coolers or freezers in not working again. As the rest of the executive management team begin to arrive they will quickly point out to you while you are acting as a cashier in your coffee outlet that your hostess is on her cel phone, the front cooler has a light out and could you make them some pancakes or french toast when you have time. The voids, guest service issues, and POS issues are easy, watching your few hardworking team members suffer each day because of the lack of tools they are handed to work with is difficult and ultimately futile. I miss the good people and the sense of having lived through a tough battle at the end of the day, I don't miss never winning the war.
Exciting place to work.
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 21, 2014
I typical day starts by trying to find a place to park in the employee section of the car rental center. Then you must wait for the shuttle bus to get to your terminal. You enter through security, then once you have punched in, you must proceed to the money room to get your bank. When you get to your designated work area, a supervisor has to swipe you into the system. You proceed to set up by unlocking all cabinets and refrigerators. You must record the temperatures of all coolers. Bottles of alcohol and beer are counted and recorded. Any outdated food must be thrown out. Fresh fruit is sliced every day. After you wipe down and clean the bar area, the lights and TV's go on and you are ready to begin. Loved my co-workers and I loved meeting new people. The noise level is atrocious. The loud, constant flight announcements and repeat regulation rules became an irritating issue to me, but it was also part of working at an airport. I did not care for the bidding process.
Pros
security, health benefits, 401k, free parking, $9.00 a day allowance for food.
Cons
extremely stressful.
VIP; Suite Attendant personal customer Service per game
Premium Skyboxes Suite Attendant (Current Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJJanuary 15, 2016
Love working for the MLS and NFL while getting paid for it. truly a blessing!!

Working as a VIP or Elite Suite Attendant is an awesome job. I serve the important people their needs while they get to watch their favorite team.

The most important factor I learned is to make sure your clients are serviced to their satisfaction whether you were able to accommodate them or not. The best perception is to leave a lasting impression.

I get to work with the Red Bull Arena and the NY GIANTS and NY JETS staff along with their loyal fans, We have the opportunity to network with each other and watch the games at same time! What better way to watch sports besides working at ESPN!

My colleagues are absolutely magnificent, especially my HR Manager at MetLife who produced NFL Superbowl XLVIII, amazing staff members!!

The most challenging part of the job is nothing!

the most enjoyable part of the job is everything!!
Pros
I get to network with fascinating people such as millionaires who are self-starters and celebrities.
Cons
Clean-up is tiring especially if they wanna stay and drink forever, otherwise, it''s a great opportunity to network.
Ok P/T Job for the money - few perks
Alcohol Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 3, 2015
Basically involves monitoring the alcohol service staff for possible policy violations (over-service, not checking I.D.'s, serving under age, etc.). Requires working all Sounder & Seahawk games. Lot's of standing on concrete (not recommended for those with bad backs!).

Supervisor "D" is GREAT and works well with his people; however upper management is very inconsistent (always changing policy), hypocritical of rules, add responsibilities while taking away the few perks/privileges. Just rumors of possible advancement for two years with no results.

Pay is dependable. Food & Team Store discount (great perk). Uniforms, pre-shift meal (cafeteria style food - ick!) and staff parking (several blocks away for Seahawk games, closer for Sounders) provided. Employee must acquire and pay for WA State M.A.S.T. card ($30+).

Overall okay job for some extra cash if you don't mind it eating up a day off, but don't expect to be able to watch the game, mingle with the players, etc.
Project Engineer II Overview
Project Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 18, 2013
A typical day to day job function is supporting over 100 sites with our enterprise systems. I also managed multiple projects in parallel to meet deliverable for new site implementation, and new technology standards. As a company meet PCI requirements and standardization for sites and corporate offices. Develop new solutions for clients to emphasize an agile infrastructure while cutting costs of business to save for clients. Worked day to day with VMware and best practices to build our corporate data center as well as remote data centers for multiple properties.

Developed a Enterprise architecture around Citrix, VMWare, EMC SAN, HP Data Protector, Cisco, and HP. We worked towards a hybrid cloud solution working closely with vendors and managing vendor projects for new site implementation.

Developed Citrix farm for corporate and field systems to meet application and VDI needs.

I have greatly expanded my knowledge in VMware, Citrix, and Documentation to provide an agile envronment.

The most difficult part of the day is the lack of leadership providing quality of life and balance between work. There is consistent reorganization of the IT department causing multiple staff changing.
Pros
quarterly lunch
Cons
compensation, communications, project management, healthcare, 60+ hours a week
Duties as an HR Generalist
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 29, 2014
1. DEVELOP EMPLOYEE RELATIONSHIPS- Approachable; reliable; caring; trustworthy, partner with
colleagues, management and executives alike; mentor & coach

2. COMPLIANCE INTERPRETATION- as it relates to company policies & procedures; federal; state and
everything else that relates to employment matters; paperwork administration

3. RECRUITING- analyze staffing needs; initial interviews; training where applicable; on-boarding/ new hire orientations; reviews

4. BUDGET ANALYSIS- tracking; process streamlining; tax equalization (payment & collection)

5. EMPLOYEE RELATIONS- conducted investigations; consultation; building relationships

6. INTER-DEPARTMENT COLLABORATION – salary planning and compensation; payroll, accounts
payable; tax departments; employment tracking; feedback

7. BENEFITS ADMINISTRATION- interpret medical; FMLA, ADA as related to needs, leaves; absences &
disabilities

8. COMMUNICATION- keep management & employees informed of new and changing

9. PROJECTS- acted as lead; performed ad hoc projects related to HR tasks

10. EXIT INTERVIEWS- interpret the results of the information gathered
Its productive but not a very fun place to work at.
Retail Associate at the Rangers Ballpark (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 22, 2013
My typical day at this job is usually frustrating because I'm trying to get everything done such as taking out the clothing that has been ordered and figure out where it can go. I've learned to never hang too many shirts on one shelf because it will break. The management is okay, but I wish all supervisors and managers would communicate more. My co-workers are what get me through a long day during a game. Its more fun when you talk to so many cool people. The hardest part of my job is having to deal with only a 20 minute break and having to look for an area to put you lunch at. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see fans that are from different countries and talk to them.
Pros
we get a free hotdog everday there
Cons
we have a short break
A Day making other's day better is a privilege.
Concession Stand Worker (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 4, 2014
My day starts with a walk through security, which only takes a few minutes. I would next sign in to my Volunteer Groups Assignment board, which lets me know what location i'd work in for the event. I would then go to that location and begin counting and inventory or product we would be preparing or selling in that location for the day. Using a projection of the event attendance we'd prepare certain items for the day, some earlier then others. I'd spend most of that time cleaning and preparing the work area for the day. After the product is prepared and our work place is clean, we are now ready to begin selling which is the most fun part, seeing people and being able to make they're experience even more enjoyable is amazing to me. Just doing these little things for them makes so much of a difference to the experience the event that evening.
Pros
great employees, cultured environment, some free food.
Cons
long hours(varies with event)
The park itself is enough reason to work here. Its Beautiful!
Executive Housekeeping Manager (Current Employee) –  CAMarch 10, 2013
A typical day for me at work would be getting my rooms keepers ready for the day. We have 245 rooms to tend. Guest check ins at 5 pm and we need to make sure that their room is ready. I learned a lot being in management here in the park. From getting the weirdest complaint to the funniest. The management team here are solid. There's HR department always ready and willing to give advise. My co-workers are true professinals. They know their jobs and responsibilities. The hardest part of my job is when I am short staffed and I have no choice but to give everybody more work than usual. The most enjoyable part is when I get off work I get to enjoy the beauty of the park and maybe do a little bike ride a hike.
Pros
free meals for management. 50% off on meals for hourly associates.
Cons
no malls to shop, no movie theaters, and the traffic on summer time.
Great place to begin a career in sales and management.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYJune 18, 2015
Staff was composed of very hardworking and encouraging individuals. A typical day at work consisted of keeping up with the steady flow of customers that visited the travel plaza. I learned to conduct great customer services while performing front end excellence. Management was very eager to help me achieve my goal of promotion up the ladder. My co workers were all trained to offer operations excellence and great amounts of energy was spent helping others succeed. The most challenging aspect to this job was handling the high traffic business with a shortage of staff. At the end of each and every day, a heaping dose of accomplishment was felt. I can confidently say that the most enjoyable part of the job was that feeling of accomplishment, while working with people who genuinely cared for each other.
Pros
Good management, rewarding work, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Shortage of staff during busy times, company policies causing employee/customer relations issues
Just a paycheck
Ops (Current Employee) –  Hamburg, NYJuly 10, 2013
If you are reading all these positive comments on DNC, you should be noticing that none of them are about Hamburg Casino. That is because it is a miserable place to work. I am still employed there solely because of the paycheck - I am looking for something else. As for an employer, their 'culture' is negligent of employee individuality - they pay no mind to employee satisfaction thus the turnover is a huge issue. And because the turnover is so bad, they are frequently short staffed and thus employees feel the crunch of forced extra hours. Job security is not there either - they have terminated employees for non-specific reasons - this is very scary for those employees still there. Management is hypo-critical. Expectations change from 1 boss to the next and they are self serving - not concerned about the benefit of the facility in its entirety.
Pros
management pay is good
Cons
to many threats of termination (on every employee notice) and huge turnover rate
Hectic work environment. Minimum wage. No personal life.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2012
A typical day at work... waking up at 3 A.M., getting there at 4 A.M., going through airport security, brewing coffees, making espresso beverages, working cash register. This is where I learned how to be a barista. My manager was awesome. Very nice, compensating, and professional. I heard other managers weren't alike. Co-workers were okay to work with. I had a supervisor who was extremely rude and would push people out of the way and talk horribly about others behind their back. Hardest part of job: waking up so early! And not having a personal life outside of work. Most enjoyable part of job: making coffee beverages! And interacting with so many different customers.
Pros
full-time, free coffee and meals
Cons
minimum wage, no tips, extremely tiring, on feet all day
Fun fast pace friendly work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  MIFebruary 6, 2013
Working with DNC as a retail cashier you are assigned a store to yourself assisting customers traveling in the DTW airport. I learned guest path training creating special experiences one customer at a time. Our supervisors were very nice, understanding, and impressed by my commentment. Since working alone I didnt see my co-workers much but When I di they were always professional and outgoing good people to have on a team. The hardest part of the job would be trying to understand different accents, other than that I loved every bit of my job except us getting bought over.
Pros
free union meals
Cons
30 min breaks when its long walks
A very fun and productive work place
Grill cook (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 24, 2013
A typical day at work consists of preparing food for a stadium of 1000s of people. Including the Blue Jackets of Columbus. I have learned alot as far as customer service is concerned. The easiest part of this job is greeting and serving the customers and the hardest part would be keeping the customers away from this good food we prepare. I would like to think of my self as a team leader simply because im asked to watch the line when my immediate supervisor is busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is the entertainment. We get to not only serve the people in the audiance, but we get to see the concerts and events that go on. Very fun place to work.
Pros
free lunch, fun laid back environment, get to watch the entertainment.
Cons
short breaks, not enough hours offered. this is an event based job. no event no work.
Great work enviorment, friendly but stern management
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 4, 2016
I would go into work knowing what to do from the day before and knowing there would be work waiting to be done at fast pace and if I did find myself unaware of what to do next there would be no problem with me asking. My coworkers were reliable and professional and enjoyed there work. Work consisted of loading and organizing large food shipments into walk-in freezer then packing them to ship out to various restaurants in the airport. I would say the freezer is hard to work in hands go numb after two or so minutes but I also enjoyed the freezers its the most important part if not organized right it can set things back and I like having that kind of pressure its motivating.
Pros
free lunce
A great experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Harrison, NJApril 27, 2015
I worked side by side with the controller and performed game day documents as well as everyday reports. During game set up I would be in charge of inventory slips, cash distribution, and setting up pre-game reports. During the game I would be in charge of live input of cash drops and any miscellaneous items. After documenting all the cash drops and the final balances I would make sure they balance back. I record the overage and shortages and report the cashiers and stands responsible. After I send the reports to the clients I overlook the invoices and set up the flash report to be sent to the department heads. After the bank balances and the reports are sent out I am responsible for setting up the daily sales report with the use of MICROS, Tangent and People Soft. These items are sent out our headquarters and the that is the conclusion of my game day activities.
Pros
Free lunches, teaches organizational skills, working side by side to the controller, great work experience, enhanced time-management