The Delaware Riverkeeper Network (DRN) has an immediate opening for a seasoned litigator in its Bristol, Pennsylvania office. The Delaware River is the longest undammed river east of the Mississippi. The Delaware’s 13,539 square mile watershed is only about four-tenths of one percent of the continental U.S. land area, but it supplies water to five percent of the nation's population --- over 15 million people. Under the leadership of the Delaware Riverkeeper, Maya van Rossum, DRN works to protect the Delaware River watershed and ecosystems from threats such as shale gas extraction, pipeline and powerline construction, dredging, stormwater runoff, wetlands degradation, and pollution.
DRN’s legal team consists of a senior attorney and three full-time staff attorneys. The senior attorney reports to Ms. van Rossum, who is the leader of DRN and also an attorney.
- Coordinating the organization’s litigation docket and developing legal and litigation strategies in state and federal courts and administrative tribunals to advance the organization’s strategic objectives
- Supervising and mentoring staff attorneys and legal interns
- Instructing the River Resources Environmental Law Clinic each academic semester as an adjunct professor for Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Managing relationships with co-counsel, outside counsel, clients, and coalition partners
- Independent responsibility for legal actions, in addition to the oversight of litigation activities of other staff.
Qualifications: Applicants must be law school graduates who are admitted, or are willing to apply for admission, to at least one of the state bars of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York,or Delaware.
The ideal applicant will have:
- At least 5 and preferably 7 to 10 years of litigation experience, preferably in environmental law. The ideal candidate will have experience with the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Air Act, and/or other relevant federal and state environmental statutes.
- Experience in undertaking factual investigations, including obtaining agency documents through federal and state open records statutes
- Experience in administrative and judicial proceedings (both trial and appellate experience preferred) including discovery, motions practice, evidentiary hearings, and oral argument
- Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and public interest litigation
- Experience overseeing and coordinating the work of others, and mentoring less experienced attorneys in order to enhance their legal learning and skills.
Salary: We offer compensation on a public interest scale commensurate with experience including an excellent benefits package.
Application procedure: This position is open immediately, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please email a cover letter, resume, names and contact information for three references, at least one writing sample from recent litigation, and other pertinent information to the attention of Maya van Rossum, the Delaware Riverkeeper, but sent to her assistant Debra Murphy at: deb@ delawareriverkeeper.org. Subject line should read: Senior Attorney Application. No telephone calls. If you prefer to mail your materials, the organization's address is 925 Canal St., Suite 3701, Bristol, PA 19007.
DRN is an equal opportunity employer.