Delaware State University

Delaware State University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and motivating lab for students to learn
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 12, 2016
Help students understand the concepts of mathematics by teaching students math skills, logic and reason over memorization. ´éčProvide feedback to students using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate and build confidence in students. Help students reach and exceed their math potential. Teach students study skills, note taking skills, and test taking strategies.
Good place to work, great benefits and vacation time
Maintenance Craftsman Level III (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJuly 11, 2016
Very much enjoyed my years at Delaware State University. The comradirery with co-workers was outstanding. The workload was always very even and effective. Management could be improved. State benefits were outstanding.
Pros
Benefits, vacation time, hours
Cons
Pay was low, management inexperience
Fast paced, interesting, and fun job.
Director of Payroll (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 8, 2016
I have worked at Delaware State University for over 24 years. The Payroll Department is a fast paced, deadline demanding job. My most enjoyable part of my job is working with the employees and helping them with their issues. The hardest part of the job would be not receiving information in a timely fashion in order to meet the State deadlines to process the payroll.
Pros
Work schedule
making our mark on the world
intern, entry level (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEMarch 23, 2016
working Monday-Friday with Wednesdays off, updating records, updating grants, learning the financial system called banner, helping parents and students file online, helping with new student hires, getting documents to payroll, assisting financial advisors and counselors with agendas for the day etc.
Pros
meeting new people and learning new things
Cons
being to social at times
Residential Assistant
Athletic Equipment Internship (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEMay 23, 2016
I help build and establish a safe environment for students to live in at the University. I also helped students study for test and build friendships by creating programs within the building to help students reach out and establish networking opportunities
fun workplace
Intern , Department of Institutional Advancement (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 28, 2016
Fun workplace to master your customer service skills, co workers are easy to get along with, room for advancement, hours were flexible
Pros
fun workplace, co workers were nice, good training
Cons
micromanage, program too short
Typcial HBCU environment
Administration (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEFebruary 28, 2016
Lot's of talk, no results. Favoritism vs. fairness. Unorganized senior leadership team. Wasteful spending. Bosses not leaders. Cliquish environment. Most tenured staff is underdeveloped and unprofessional.
Pros
Working for students
Cons
Bad atmosphere
Stuck in the Stone Age
Jr. Art Director (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEMay 1, 2016
This is a great beginner career as a creative person. Though, your creative ability is sometime neglected and offend overlooked due to lack of technological advances on the university side.
Pros
Long Breaks
Cons
Low Pay
Productive and Family Orienated
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 12, 2016
Even though the pay was not that great it was an overall fun work place. I have meant different people students to parents, etc.. and you were always treated kindly for the customer service you provided.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Money
Productive and wonderful customer service
Delaware State University (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJuly 12, 2015
MY typical day at work is answering phone calls from students in reference to their test scores. I learned how to be a productive worker and a communications expert in the customer service arena. The management was very friendly and encouraging. MY co-workers were very cooperative with each others wants and needs of the job duties of the job requirements. The hardest part of the job was nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting my customers with the information that they need in order to pass their state testing requirements, or assisting them with a start date to take a placement test.
Pros
working in a fast pace customer service atmosphere
Fun and organized workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEFebruary 11, 2016
Working on campus and with professors is great networking. My co-workers worked well with me and other employees. Best part was the networking and building professionalism.
Supervisor
Supervisor of Student Mentors (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 25, 2016
I worked with other Delaware State University students where i scheduled the tour for campus, facilitated trainings and programs for student mentors as well as collected time sheets and payroll.
Productive Workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 16, 2015
Management is supportive, helpful, understanding. Helped me a lot to learn and grow. Positive atmosphere. Challenging and exciting. Good experience.
Very busy workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 12, 2016
Supervisor seems to busy for actual research study. There is more instructing done than actual research. Overall it is a very welcoming environment.
A learning experience for the students as well as me
Spanish 1 Professor (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEOctober 6, 2015
Teaching students Spanish vocabulary and learning how to use that vocabulary in the format of Spanish Grammar. How to gain an ear for Spanish words as well as how to properly pronounce Spanish phonetics in speech. Giving oral and written assessments on vocabulary, grammar, speech and listening skills.
Fun workplace
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEAugust 2, 2015
enjoyed my coworkers, we worked very well together
Always something to work on or fix
Pleasant environment to work in
Supportive management
Strategic building work area
groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 9, 2014
work days is good.
learned how to create and design a football, soccer lacrosse field.
management is like pulling teeth
objects might be a little heavy or awkward
Team work when we plan how to attack obstacles.
Pros
safety procedures, helping each other, good team work.
Cons
poor planning, to much back lashing, no raises.
Delaware State University
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 17, 2015
Troubleshooting issues for entire student base, faculty and staff. For the students, we made sure they had virus protection software, and that the ports in their rooms were functional and managed the labs. For faculty and staff, we repaired their hardware, software, and printer issues.
Horrible experience
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEOctober 10, 2014
When I first started, it was disorganized and confusing. No one to train properly. The process is too slow to push paper work through the pipeline. HR does not care for their employees. Inappropriate interactions with faculty and students on campus.... I could go on...
benefits
Cons
no employee rights, management is horrible
Productive and enjoyable working with students
Technical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 25, 2014
Open up classrooms and close classrooms at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part about the job is working with the students. It's getting to know them and finding out what their directions, goals and dreams are. What I am learning from management is the different aspects of the job/position. There are so many varables with my position, from understanding how the college apply for grants and the different departments in the area that I am in. I work alone, but I assist the Chair person and the Department Assistant. There is nothing hard about my position at all. It allows me to be in a different field of administration.
Pros
working for a state college

Delaware State University Reviews by Location