Delaware State University

Delaware State University Employer Reviews

Flexible hours and friendly environment.
Adjunct English Instructor (Current Employee), Dover, DEApril 21, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: compensation rates
Working at DSU is a great opportunity to impact young adults on the east coast, many of whom are first generation college students.
Work study
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Dover, DEMarch 12, 2013
It was a work study position that was great. I met with alot of celebrities.
A great learning environment for sport science and health, and education majors.
Lifeguard/Facility Staff/ Intramural Sports (Former Employee), Dover, DEFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: happy clients, warm but clean pool environment.
As a lifeguard may daily tasks included maintaining the pool and guarding the safety of the waters. I was most impressed with the way little kids were able to swim as toddlers. I assisted in training new staff, teaching procedures and how to check and set chemicals in the pool. My co-workers were fellow students who were energetic and loved talking – more... about philosophy. The hardest part of my job was dealing with staff having behavioral issues. Our work environment was very encouraging staff where given the ability to grow professionally during workshops and in-services. My favorite part about being a lifeguard was encouraging the little swimmers. The kids brought positive energy to the facility, and interacting with them was a great, they made me smile every day. – less
Productive and easy going place to work.
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Dover, DEFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: great hours, good pay, enjoyable co-workers, off on weekends
Cons: form distribution
A typical day at work involves me scheduling meetings with faculty, students, and my supervisor.

-Assist and advise students in completing work study documents
-Assist with supervisor and student employment training's
-Distribute work study documents to person(s) in charge
-Arrange files with proper headings to ensure organization and ease of access – more... for student filing

My co-workers are excellent and always willing to offer advice when in need which makes my job a lot easier to deal with. The hardest part of my job would be knowing all the different departments off hand and knowing where to distribute student forms. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the fact that I am constantly learning something new and challenging myself to become an even harder worker. – less
Excellent Work Environment
Chef Consultant (Current Employee), Dover, DEDecember 13, 2012
Even though I am only a sub-contractor, have really enjoyed working with this Company. My point person is very thorough and available whenever needed.
Job is ok, not too exciting.
MCM3 Maintenance Mechanic, HVAC Tech, Plumber (Current Employee), Dover, DENovember 15, 2012
Pros: great benefits.
Cons: poor quality of students.
I enjoyed working with other people my age and learning about thier struggles in life.
N/A
Assistant (Former Employee), Dover, DEOctober 11, 2012
Friendly environment, great learning experience. The entire staff was very sociable.
Unprofessional, abusive, harassing, controlling and discriminatory
N/A (Former Employee), Dover, DEOctober 6, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: discriminatory, unfair, unprofessional.
DSU is a Historically Black College and University, and most of the staff and students are black. I, a middle age white male, was harassed and discriminated against (for my gender and race) continuously by my black female supervisor. It was abusive, intentional and personal. I was a dedicated, conscientious and well-skilled employee. This person went – more... out of their way to belittle me in front of students, undermine my authority, and humiliate me in front of my colleagues and student workers. It was an abuse of power and this person was on a control mission. I was blatantly discriminated against - my colleagues and coworkers commented that they were aware of the discrimination and harassment by the way this supervisor was treating me and what they witnessed. This person applied strict policies that adhered only to me, while it did not apply to others within the department. (However, a select few of my equals that were singled out by this person left because of her ongoing harassment and relentless discrimination, but it wasn't as blatant and nasty as it was with me). It got to the point where I wasn't permitted to go on my computer or be at my desk except for 10 minutes prior to leaving for the day, but I was still expected to generate reports and perform administrative duties. When I was at my desk at other times I was told to get up and leave. I had other duties within the department, but because of the control and other issues, when I was at the desk it made my former supervisor extremely agitated and angry. People who do these kinds of things typically feel threatened by the other person, and are also very insecure. The abuse was so powerful that eventually it became difficult to perform my job effectively and efficiently. It also became frustrating knowing that no one in authority would defend me.

I am appalled that the DSU Administration and the Dean of the Department allowed this person to get away with such things and didn't stand up for their worker, especially with the amount of documentation. It was reported many times but with no action taken, instead they backed up my former supervisor. Since DSU did not intervene and tell this person to cease and desist, and/or write her up, then DSU must condone this type of behavior. This is a sad reflection on an academic institution that promotes equality, fairness and diversity.

It's a shame that such things still take place in a work environment, and that no one in authority will stand up for the common worker. However when you delegate authority to someone who is unprofessional, abusive , discriminative and has control issues, it is no wonder that these things will take place and will continue to take place long after I have gone. – less

Marianna – December 27, 2012

My experience with DSU was also very negative. I found that I was discriminated against in many ways; including being overlooked for a well deserved promotion. It is unfortunate, but reverse discrimination is not unusual.

great people to work with
Sr. Secretary (Former Employee), Dover, DEOctober 5, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: dealing with a difficult director
My day was usually busy. along with my daily work obligations, my fellow co workers would come to me for help with various different tasks. My first director was a great person to work with, however, my second director and I had irreconcilable differences which is why I left. My co workers were great people to work with.
Productive and fun work play
Mentor (Former Employee), Dover, DEJune 14, 2012
Plan and implement acclimation activities for new students. Marketing of campus programs and activities. Maintain paper work and log of incidents and assist with solution
Exciting
Office Assistant, Office of Student Leadership (Former Employee), Dover, DEMay 25, 2012
Typical workday included handling walk-in inquiries about campus activities.
Very good place to work
Lieutenant/Manager (Former Employee), Dover, DEMay 2, 2012
They create a positive and fun work environment for all that work there. They are very big on the work life balance, and they always provide positive activities to help you really enjoy the job.
Enjoyed my tenure at Delaware State University.
Associate Director, Office of Testing (Former Employee), Dover, DelawareFebruary 14, 2012
Pros: great school!
Cons: no room for advancement
Delaware State University is a nice place to work. There is not a lot of room for advancement once you are on staff. The institution however is doing a great job educating our youth.

About Delaware State University

One of the top historically black colleges and universities in the US, Delaware State University (DSU) offers¬†more than 50¬†bachelor's – Read more

Delaware State University Photos