Delgado Community College Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Testing Administrator, Testing Department (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 23, 2017
Delgado had a great work environment but unfortunately the salaries aren't up to par with the cost of living. Management was really nice and the employees were extremely helpful and friendly
Telecommunications Coordinator, /Networking (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 16, 2017
I enjoy working with the company, my day is anyways busy. As co-workers we make it a effort to make our work place enjoyable. Non technical people, working with the college and the students.
Pros
Free schooling
Cons
healthcare
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 11, 2017
I convened classes on Mon. Wed. and Fri. from 0800-0900 AM, and 1000-1100 AM. Office Hours MWF from 9-10 AM, and 1100-1200 Noon.
A typical day comprised lecturing, classroom exercises, quizzes, examinations, and reviewing term papers. Teaching is hard work and exhausting if you do your homework and put your heart and soul in it like I did.
I taught Business Management and Excellence in Communications.
I managed my time effectively and efficiently since I had two large classes of 35 students. Keeping up my grade book as well as developing my new lesson plans for each course required a lot of upfront effort. Since this was my first year teaching at a "Community College" I had to create from scratch my briefings/presentations for each class as well as do the homework from what I call familiarization training; getting to know the material and the best method of instruction in presenting it to the students so that they can glean some takeaways from the courses. I had one co-worker who as an Associate Professor that assisted me in learning the ropes and the ropes to skip. He was very helpful. I wanted to apply for an Associate Position but the Chairman of the Business Department informed me that I needed to attain my PhD in Education. I already had an M.B.A. and was half way completed on my second Master's Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies. The hardest part of the job was assigning a graded of "D" to a couple of students in each of my classes. Sometimes, a student is just not ready for the demands of a college degree. The most enjoyable part of the job is
  more... when your students search you out and sincerely thank you for helping them accomplish their aims. Whether it was improving their writing, oral presentations, or learning how to manage small and large groups of people, it didn't matter. You know that you did someone or something good for the benefit of another human being.  less
Pros
My time was my own; Answered to the Chairman; Used time effectively
Cons
Low Pay; heavy demand on planning, preparation, grading; etc.
Productive department just getting the department together
Human Resources Technician (Interim) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 7, 2017
A typical work day was opening, distributed mail. Transfer of application, and resumes to various department for hire.
Pros
Salary for Interim position
Cons
The commute time to work, and from work daily was rough
Quiet atmosphere where students studied and did homework
LIBRARY CLERK (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 2, 2017
I loved this job, working in the library. It was a work study position. I loved the atmosphere, I loved the how the students interacted with one me and our managers were very nice people
Pros
30 minute lunchbreak
Cons
Was sometimes too quiet
Very enjoyable
Anatomy and Physiology Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 6, 2016
As a tutor, I encountered students that were having a difficult time understanding the material presented in class. I enjoyed helping them grasp the concepts and doing well in the subject.
Commitment to Excellence
Instrucor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans LADecember 5, 2016
Delgado is committed to excellence in teaching and serving its students, and so am I. The instructors and staff care about the students' education and their lives and futures after graduating.
Productive workplace for students
Help students in assisting with FAFSA (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA 70116September 6, 2016
Working for Delgado Community College was productive and fun to work around different students.

I've learned how to help Delgado students assisting with their FAFSA and assignments.

My co-workers were fun, sweet, and uplifting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to laugh and hold a bit of a conversation when we weren't supposed to.

Delgado's management was unknown, but, my boss was a man who was very serious about us student workers.
wonderful place to work
Assistant Professor of English (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 20, 2016
I worked for Delgado Community College for 17 years. it was a wonderful place to work and hope to rejoin the University atmosphere as it has always inspired me and I love teaching.
Fast pace, but fun workplace.
Student Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 30, 2016
I was required to assist students during the registration period. The goal was to answer questions on financial aid as
well as the enrollment process. This fast pace environment required
communication skills and patience. I enjoyed the management, very informative and polite. This job taught me time management and how to provide excellent customer service.
Great place to gain office experience
Grant Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 15, 2016
Learned many skills that I will take forward with me to my next employment, although it did not have a large area for future growth. Management was very professional and held workers accountable for their work.
Worked independently, with little contact with other faculty or supervision.
Adjunct Faculty in Accounting (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 27, 2016
It was an unusual time. It was just after the Katrina Hurricane hit and destroyed much of New Orleans. Local and state governments viewed the community college system as a tool to help get workers back on their feet after the massive job loss.

It was a good idea, but there was no attempt do any career counseling, academic assessment or course selection guidance. As a result, the class capabilities covered the full spectrum of skills and offered some instructional challenges.

It was compounded by the expectations of the students and what they had been led to believe was their responsibilities were in the educational process.

I had some great successes and a few challenges, requiring some academic guidance in directions other than accounting.

The successes were great. The non successes varied, depending on the student, their expectations and their ability to judge their capabilities.

As adjunct faculty, I had only minimal contact with my co-workers, except to listen to their complaints about what was happening.
Pros
The design of the accounting program was excellent with a very good on-line support.
Cons
Lack of academic screening and course selection. For some, minimal reading or math skills.
Ok place to work.
Front Desk/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 18, 2016
The Admissions Office was a nice place to work, laid back environment with very cool, and loving staff, each month someone's birthday is celebrated, and that's just a small way to show how much the work staff supports each other.
A mostly good community college with mostly good students but too much creeping bureaucracy.
College Instructor (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LA; City Park, New OrleansFebruary 4, 2016
An overall good academic institution.

The teachers were mostly professional. The staff mostly friendly. The locations are centered around New Orleans, which is a bit far for some, but convenient for others.

From 1998 to about 2011, it was a great place to work. A good teacher who prepared well was essentially left alone. Approximately about 2011, a change occurred. Teachers were required to do more and more time-consuming (& unnecessary) paperwork/data entry that had little to nothing to do with our teaching or accountability. I put in 80 hrs/week, yet they kept adding busywork. We were becoming like public school teachers. We were mandated mindless "safety" videos on mosquito awareness & bbq safety.

I, as did others, taught extra classes to pick up extra money. When I didn't get paid for those extra classes, I tried for half a semester to find out why -- only to be stonewalled at every level. Finally, we parted ways after lies came from the top echelons. I didn't want to work for those kinds of leaders; they didn't like my push back.

That leader has since moved on (to LCTCS).

Hopefully, the school has gotten back to treating its teachers better. It was a good school to work for when they let the good teachers teach.
Pros
Good facilities; professional teachers
Cons
Mindless bureaucracy & leadership
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 6, 2015
It is a very flexible contract opportunity. I enjoyed helping students enroll in school and achieve their goals. The company allows students to get an associate's degree at a more reasonable cost than a university.
I love this job
Federal Work Study student worker (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 26, 2015
I have learned a lot about the Nursing program and its requirements as I am in school to become a Nurse. This job is full of information that can assist you in your field of study.
Barnes & Noble head cashier and customer service rep.
Office work study (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 21, 2015
Barnes & Noble head cashier and customer service rep. learn alot about books. learn good management skills. the job is enjoyable & co workers are great
Student friendly part-time positions
Lab Coordinator/Tutor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 13, 2015
The positions I held as a Lab Coordinator and Tutor at Delgado Community College were filled with growth opportunities. I found myself relishing each victory no matter how small because it made a difference to my fellow students and the instructors I was assisting. The most challenging parts of the position was navigating the politics of a state funded school and bridging departmental gaps. The most fulfilling part of the position was finding creative ways to inventory hardware and software assets as well as learning new techniques maintain software updates.
Pros
Self-directed work, Good experience
Cons
Departmental insulation
Easy going with great co-workers
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 25, 2015
helped students in the math lab with their homework and prepare for tests in various levels of mathematics up to calculus III
Positive faculty to administration relationships gave favorabel work situation
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee) –  Slidell, LASeptember 9, 2015
College atmosphere and orientation has shifted as Deans retired or were replaced. Overall, a good work situation with reasonable flexibility given to faculty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Delgado Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2