Delhaize America Employee Reviews

Comfortable
Selector/Picker (Former Employee) –  Winthrop, MENovember 15, 2017
You had free range in your zone to go the pace that best fit you. You got 3 breaks, 2 15-20 minute breaks and 1 half hour break, If we had to work a 12 hour shift the company supplied an extra lunch which they would supply food.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
Lomg hours
Horrible Who You Know Management
Business Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCNovember 13, 2017
The management there doesn't care if what you're going through is a personal attack, if the parties involved are best buds, you have no chance. It seems that too many of the employees there have a petty character and even management further up the chain has the same mentality.
Pros
It wasn't a bad drive.
Cons
Not being judged based on your work ethic, job knowledge, ability and eagerness to learn new things.
great place to work back when I worked there
Bakery Manager, Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Wappingers Falls, NYNovember 10, 2017
was great when i worked for them, but have heard things have changed dramatically in recent years. the entire industry is going through a transformative era and it's not heading towards the positive in my opinion.
Pros
great culture (was)
Cons
slow to move up
Great Culture
Delhaize America (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCNovember 8, 2017
This company has a great culture at retail! Being able to interact with associates at retail who truly impact the customer experience every day is by far the biggest reward.
Great
Food Lion Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 3, 2017
Great . I really enjoyed it. It has a relaxed atmosphere and the service is very friendly and the staff are friendly. They really make sure that they preform their jobs to the best of the ability
Typical Global Company
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCNovember 2, 2017
This is an ok place to work. There are advancement opportunities but they are very difficult to move into in general. Most management is very supportive. The most difficult part of the jobs available is learning all the different systems used in the organizations. I personally used 5 different systems to generate information but there are many more that are used in the organization.
Pros
Lots of employee programs; able to telecommute occasionally
Cons
Long work days
Stressful and challenging place to be
Inventory Control Analyst/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Disputanta, VANovember 2, 2017
Needs managerial improvement. The company needs to better compensate its employees and become competitive with its pay scale. Other warehouses in the area are making twice as much as we do
Garbage
Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Maine, MEOctober 25, 2017
Very little opportunity to advance. Treats employees like they are little more than disposable tools and disregards their well being. Good co workers. Very poor supervisors/management
Quick-paced and Tiring
Perishable Selector (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCOctober 24, 2017
Delhaize is a great job but it requires a good physical condition somewhat to be able to meet production. Once learning the whereabouts things get a little easier. Management can be... "management" of course, some are sarcastic others are helpful.
Pros
Two (2) fifteen minute breaks
Cons
Can get very cold
Interesting Post merger
Sr. Outsourcing Services Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCOctober 13, 2017
Used to be a great place to work but like anyplace going through a merger, things can get rough and uncertain. Its really sad to see how they've turned their backs on their values in this transitionary time.

Want to know more about Delhaize America?

Ask a question
It's what you make it
Deli/Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Sedalia, NCOctober 12, 2017
Depends on your location and your team mate. Some managers need to improve their manager skills and realize that the company is based off a team and if no one's working as a team then the company fails.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCOctober 12, 2017
I had a great experience there. The management was top notch and the experience gained there was priceless. You work hard and the compensation is worth it.
Pros
Free Break
Item Life Cycle - Temp Assignment (Current Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 28, 2017
I love my job here, but it's only a temporary assignment, coming to an end in October.
Wendy, my immediate supervisor, is one of the best bosses I've ever had. I like the work, the environment, and even made a few friends while I was here. It's gonna be sad to go!
Pros
Food samples, Events, Flexible schedule
Very little advancement opportunity
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCSeptember 26, 2017
If you have family working there you have a chance. It seems like if you have family there you can get a job easily but if you are an outsider you are only considered if there isn't a family member looking for a job. The culture is very much "This is the way we do it here." I have never worked somewhere where they didn't actively try to improve things every day. Not the case here in my experience.
Pros
If you need a day off any time you can take it
Cons
Very little advancement opportunities
productive work place
Foodlion (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NCSeptember 25, 2017
Great day at work, great relationships with customers. I learned how to bite my tongue and it also taught me how to humble myself in numerous ways. The management is alright but the store manager has favorites. Workplace culture is to just keep the customers happy and satisfied. The hardest part of the job was learning how to bite my tongue and adjusting to the way the customers are suppose to be treated. The most enjoyable part about the job when I adjusted was actually getting to know the customers and being in a positive environment.
Pros
30 minute lunches
Cons
mean customers
Great environment and culture
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCSeptember 23, 2017
Welcoming environment that nurtures self development. Management encourages open dialogue and 360 degree feedback. I've gained a wealth of knowledge from my leaders and peers.
Pros
modern office, cafeteria
Cons
not in a major city
Fast paced workplace, extremely cut throat.
Selector/Picker (Current Employee) –  Dunn, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Delhaize America is a decent job. It is very faced paced and competitive as is any fast paced job. Hours are all out of order, some days are 4 to 6 hours while some are 12- 13 hours long. It's completely unpredictable and is very hard to tolerate. Supervisors look the other way when protocol is broken, not the best place for a career but if you can put up with it then it's a halfway decent job.
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Good workout
Selector/Forklift Operator/Loader/Unloadee (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCSeptember 12, 2017
Working for foodlion warehouse is a good workout plan. I mean, me on the other haND did a lot from, pulling orders /shipping orders/driving forklifts/loading and unloading orders
Pros
Buy or bring tour own lunch
Cons
10 mins breaks
You need a doctors note to drink water
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MA and NHSeptember 12, 2017
I was encouraged to create a toxic atmosphere for employees that had habits that weren't bad enough to "document".

I was told that I had to find a replacement manager from another store if I wanted to take a vacation, which resulted in going months without having more than one day in a row off
Cons
Not an American company, and you are just a number
Good place to start a career
Store Associate - Grocery/Produce (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 1, 2017
Good place to start a career if you are into food retail/wholesale.
Mostly entry level part-time position with growth potential.
High worker turnover rate.
Uniform provide so that's a plus.
Flexible hours/shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Delhaize America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9