Delhaize America Employee Reviews

Good place to work - tired of restructuring/mergers
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maine, MEMay 18, 2017
I really enjoy working for this company and I have been with them for several years, but I have grown tired of the several mergers/restructures that I have gone through. I realize that is the way of the world today, but at some point enough is enough.
Pros
work life balance, decent pay
Cons
constant restructuring/mergers
Inclusive and productive environment
Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCMay 17, 2017
The best thing about this company is the diversity inclusion and stance on social issues. They are very good with personal and professional development as well. Overall, there is still an attitude of "ole boys club" that sometimes stop innovation and creativity for new things to happen.
Pros
diversity inclusion, global presence, leadership, development
Cons
stagnant workplace, no room for advancement
Fast paced, enjoyable and great place to work
Store Payments and Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCApril 26, 2017
Delhaize America is a fast paced environment with opportunities to learn and grow within the company. I have currently been employed with them for 28 years and enjoyed my development path and career opportunities. Delhaize is a great company for employment.
Pros
Enjoyable place to work
Cons
Uncertanity with Merger
Not the same place it used to be
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCApril 24, 2017
From lax managers, to production pay getting cut, to non-standard hours, to VERY physical work, you name it, and this place will send you home cussing.

I recently worked on 3rd shift at the perishables dept for a little over half a year. If people didn't have to eat, this place would've folded by now. There is no humanity or understanding in this place, and very little respect to be had from the company.

You will never work the same hours, and even your scheduled days will change at the drop of a hat. (my schedule changed 4x in 6 months.) The breaktimes are short and the breakroom is always overcrouded.

On the floor, there is almost no sense of teamwork, in fact it usually feels quite cut throat.

From what I understand, these issues are isolated to the perishables dept, not the dry goods side of things. For the record, I resigned my position.
Pros
You get the same money as everyone else after 2yrs for doing the same exact amount of work
Cons
Too many to list.
Not a good place to work
Fork Lift Driver (Current Employee) –  Dunn, NCApril 23, 2017
If your looking for a job and just need work then come; or if you are transitioning between jobs. This is not the place for advance. It is only for the 1%.
Good job pays well full time good benefits.
Reciving/shipping crew member (Former Employee) –  Winthroup, MaineApril 22, 2017
I worked night shift. Learned forklift and reviving/shipping basics. Good crew and surpervisers. Job duties were transport material or equipment to and from designated areas in the facility. Moving goods packed on pallets or in crates around the storage facility. Checking loads are secure. Performing daily equipment checks such as recharging the forklift battery. Stock products in loading racks.
Work Place
Hyperion Developer (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCApril 10, 2017
A typical day at work every morning I follow the day's requirement and do the tasks. If it is necessary I ask my a colleague some question regarding the requirment for some clarifications. I learned different ways to do some stuffs. Workplace culutre was terrible. The hardest part of the job people very narrow minded. The most enjoyable part of the job is plentity of time to accomplish the taks.
They care about quality of service a lot and also appearance.
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Elloree, SCApril 7, 2017
Keeping the warehouse clean is a must. The food distribution is checked and made sure quality is standard at least. They harp on cleanliness and time status. But safety is a must!
Longevity at its best
Regional Director Distribution and Transportation (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCApril 7, 2017
Supply chain leader in the grocery industry with aggressive goals and a focus on people. Overall Supply Chain strategy in place and effective, making goal achievement possible.
Great Distribution Center to work at
Perishable Selector (Former Employee) –  Elloree, SCApril 6, 2017
A typical day at work your going to work the hardest you can. I've learned how to work a pallet jack since I worked there. The workplace environment is great.
not a very productive place
Perishable Selector (Former Employee) –  Elloree, SCMarch 30, 2017
Not a very well organized job to work to. this job pay does meet the type production that is being provided by the company over the years many employees have quit because of the pay and supervision is not ran correctly which affects the company.
Pros
great hours
Cons
not enough salary .
I have been with food lion for 2 years and I need better pay to support myself
Food lion employee (Current Employee) –  Church Hill, TNMarch 17, 2017
Food lion is a good store I have no problem with the store it's a clean atmosphere not a bad place to work but I just need more pay to sustain my self
Self Directed Work Environment
Category Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCMarch 14, 2017
In the role of Category Analyst my day consists of running reports on margin for specified categories.
Meeting with vendors for product offerings and negotiating costs and deals on product.
Reporting on performance of items carried across the Food Lion stores.

The workplace culture is not as diverse as they make it to be. Diversity and inclusion is not something that they are big on.
Good people to work with
Operations supervisor (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEMarch 13, 2017
Overall a good job, a very large company with a very large work force. I started as a driver then moved into a supervisor role in the shipping and receiving area, I work four ten hour shifts Sunday thru Wednesday, 13:30 to 23:30. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is the people, I love interacting with my employees and it can also be difficult when it comes to punishment and/or termination.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Mediocre benefits
Inventory Control (Current Employee) –  Butner, NCMarch 4, 2017
The pay isn't bad, and as long as you are willing to learn you get to advance. You get the opportunity to learn different things, be on different positions and that way you really cant say that you are bored of this job.
Large company, not always supportive of employees, felt like more of a number than a person.
Merchandising Plan Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEMarch 1, 2017
Shelf Merchandising Assistant was fast paced, diverse and fulfilling. Job varied from day to day, priorities were updated throughout the day, challenging at times, fun.
Second job, Floor Planning Assistant, was a new position in the company, learned all the ins and outs of store layout, worked closely with Merchandising Specialists to meet the needs of any given project based on store philosophy, geographic location as well type of project. Hardest part of the job was the constant updates to retail philosophies, when my part of project was complete changes were implemented and project had to be redone, frustrating.
Pros
Great group of coworkers, new item freebies, tasting events.
Cons
Job was relocated to North Carolina
Too much
Selector/Loader (Current Employee) –  Disputanta, VAFebruary 17, 2017
It's OK job if you put time into it. Got to take your time to learn job . So you can make more money. Supervisor got there favorite brown nose they will take floor to do nothing.
Slave labor
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Disputanta, VAFebruary 15, 2017
They tell you you're gonna make 15.50 an hour but that's only if you can keep up with their voice picking system. The hardest job I've ever had was here at food lion distribution. Do not work here thinking you're gonna be able to move up to supervisor or get into the offices. You're just a number to management. They lied to me about how much they were paying me when i moved up from order selector to loader. My pay actually went down,they pay every 2 weeks too so be prepared for that long struggle.
Pros
Close by the house
Cons
Everything, terrible company to work at
Decent pay and hours
Perishable Selector (Current Employee) –  Greencastle, PAFebruary 15, 2017
Not a bad job if you live close to it. I live an hour away so home life is limited. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and supervisors.
Pros
45 minute lunches. Quality trainers
Cons
Cold conditions
very high pace work place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Schodack Landing, NYFebruary 14, 2017
Work he was a physical fitness test daily because when your filling orders your being timed and if you take to long it counts against you. Also if you finish you orders faster you can go home earlier and get extra money in your pay check they had a program there call the early out program.
Pros
pay was well
Cons
management treated you like a robot/just another number

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Delhaize America. Our community is ready to answer.