Dell Employee Reviews

Found 1,533 reviews matching the search
Great opportunities in many directions at Dell
Resolution Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 9, 2014
Dell provided me with an entry level phone technician job to help customers with their enterprise server systems during failures. While there Dell continued to provide training opportunities in just about any Enterprise technology that is available. I chose to focus on servers and operating systems but at the same time was focused on working to the next level.

I then moved into team lead roles of Dell's Silver, Mainstream, High Complexity Microsoft and then Platinum teams. From there I advanced into a Technical Account Manager position where I managed large Enterprise technical accounts. From there I moved into my current position as a Resolution Manager handling escalations across most all Enterprise and client products sold by Dell.

The experience at Dell has been very fulfilling. I have developed, through Dell's help, a broad and effective skill set ranging from technical troubleshooting to negotiation skills as well as communication both verbal and written. Dell has provided the means to gain several important certifications within the industry including Microsoft, Citrix, VMware, and ITIL.

The atmosphere at Dell is very friendly and edifying but professional at all times, even when fun is to be had... I have developed many strong professional and personal friendships there.

The focus is always that the customer is first. It is amazing to see the day in and day out amazing collaborative efforts across the people and teams within Dell to achieve the end goal with the customer which is essentially ensuring that they remain a partner for life.

Through my time at Dell I
  more... gained experience using multiple CRM's, and a good portion of the Microsoft Office suite including but not limited to EXCEL, WORD, PowerPoint and Publisher.

Management has always been focused at not just improving my current work experience and effectiveness but they focus on my career path to help me find my best places within Dell. I have consistent one one ones as well as skip-level one on ones with management where I am offered the opportunity to get deeper insights into the business both current and future. In these meetings I participate in the process of improving myself professionally and to focus on future opportunities. So far I have not been disappointed with any manager and I have had many in my 11 years with the company.

The hardest and then again it also can be the most enjoyable part of my job are the escalations I work on. No doubt it can be pressing and quite stressful to have a job where no one comes to you when things are working as they should. When things fail in a customer's environment and when the costs are great I am brought in to make sure that resolution is achieved in a manner that satisfies the customer. Having a lot of people depend on you as such can be pressing at times but when issues are resolved and the customer is happy as what happens most if not close all of the time that is where the enjoyment of the job is realized.
Experience depends on the team
Senior Web Analytics Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 15, 2013
Dell is a big company. Really big. That brings advantages and disadvantages.

It's difficult to review an entire company when the company is so huge and diverse. It really depends on the team and manager. Some teams have terrible work/life balance, especially mission-critical teams, like IT. It's not uncommon to hear about 80-100 hour weeks and working through the weekends on those teams. On the other hand, some teams, like marketing, have excellent balance. Your schedule can be what you need it to be. It can be easy to get time off. The entire week of Christmas is a company holiday.

Also, some teams have a lot of redundancy. It can be easy on some teams to feel disconnected to anything valuable or to just feel like you're spinning your wheels. Other teams are very clearly connected to customer satisfaction and company goals, and it's easy to see how your daily work impacts the bigger picture.

Dell has its own culture. It emphasizes the ability to move around from one position to another. It provides a lot of great opportunities to do completely different things while remaining at the same company and location. It's not hard to find yourself in a position and with responsibilities that you could not have found elsewhere. It can really help to build experiences and skills. The downside of that is that the organization is constantly in flux. It can be hard to figure out who owns what at any given time. It's easy to repeat mistakes because it's difficult to maintain institutional learnings. Picking up a new role can feel like starting from scratch. On the other hand, it provides
  more... fantastic opportunities for ambitious people to get involved in projects that really make a difference.

As a result of this culture, Dell prizes "organizational agility", or the ability to navigate a complex organization that doesn't actually make sense or have firm rules.

Interestingly, despite this fluidity, Dell operates with very rigid silos. Despite its repeated efforts, it can never seem to break those silos down. That means cross-functional work can be difficult and sometimes impossible.

I can't recommend Dell as a whole, but if you find the right team to work on, it can be a great place to work.
Pros
good benefits: relatively inexpensive health insurance options, 401(k) matching, opportunities for growth
Cons
rigid structure but fluid organization can mean a lot of frustration and confusion.
Dell
Lead/Desktop Support Technician (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta GANovember 2, 2012
Leading a crew consisting of 4-10 technicians in the deployment of Dell computer equipment. Traveling to different State of Georgia facilities such as DFACS, Department of Revenue, OIG, Driver Services, Department of Justice, etc. Conducting pre-site visits with the point of contact to establish staging areas, delivery areas, logistics, and LAN and network system arenas. Accept deliveries on deployment start and unpack and organize equipment to coordinate inventory association according to the customer spreadsheet request. Updating and coordinating with the project manager for on site activity. Having a morning meeting with the technicians to distribute work orders and go over current location details. Troubleshooting issues that the technician finds takes more than 10 minutes to resolve. Using CDM a national inventory monitoring system developed by Dell to monitor work order flow. Dealt with customer complaints and issues and provide customer service at the highest level possible. Deploying computer systems of various types from desktops to laptops and tablets to ensure a timely site completion. Maintain team moral and assist technicians in any way possible to ensure a smooth deployment. Prestage, restage, application installation, and in the case of faulty equipment arrange for delivery of new equipment and faulty equipment pickup. Responsible for drive wipe sanitation removed from legacy equipment. I am HIPPA certified and well aware of the protection of medical records. Assuring the accuracy of closing paperwork and setting up pickup of legacy equipment. I also supported  more... over 1,000 users in a helpdesk desktop environment. I worked trouble tickets to resolve end user computer problems. I documented communication through the IBM’s Maximo helpdesk software to document the resolve of computer problems that were within my control and re-route any tickets that needed assistance from other groups. Using Citrix daily for remote correspondence to the Dell’s portal. I supported users in a Windows XP/7 environment. I dealt with a variety of software installs, workstation setups and incident tickets and maintained an excelled ticket count volume. I illustrated a high level of technical expertise and customer service with every customer.  less
Pros
check
Cons
check
Rife with nepotism and favoritism...all while branding it a meritocracy
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 29, 2015
In Dell's IT Security organization, no positions are actually awarded based on a competitive application process. Directors and above are hand picked based upon their loyalty to their seniors. Most managers could not do the work they are tasked with managing...therefore they have no depth of understanding and their demands are merely bullets from a PowerPoint slide they presented to their own management. They're get 'er done mentality without a fundamental understanding of the technology or process results in stress and ultimately job dissatisfaction for those reporting to a management structure that's primarily about politics and perception management/manipulation rather than technical and process execution. It is sad, but Dell suffers from a management culture that is as dysfunctional as they come. This might be a good place add to your resume...but don't make the mistake that you can come into the org now and have a successful career. The management hierarchy is well entrenched and they lay people off frequently...and they take issue with anyone that suggests there is a better way. Innovation is unquestionably NOT part of their culture.

- a typical day at work
TONS of pointless conference calls or Lync based meetings.

- what I learned
There was blatant favoritism, your education/experience/certifications meant nothing to the self absorbed management team.

- management
hired due to political favor and not competency, they preach meritocracy but they actually practice blatant favoritism and nepotism.

- co-workers
my co-workers were the only saving grace
  more... of this company.

-the hardest part of the job
Not feeling free to be 100% honest in critiquing how things were done. Said another way, the general message was if you see a problem, just fix it and keep it to yourself...don't bother us with problems or we'll assign them to you to fix because we (i.e. management) can't be bothered.

- the most enjoyable part of the job
Getting a job offer from another company literally within an hour of being notified I was being laid off due to a reduction in force...what a PC way to say your fired.
Pros
You can rest assured you will not be there long
Cons
The time spent employed here was a waste...
love or hate my job...ask me next quarter
Inside Sales Representatives (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 5, 2013
Dell can be loved or hated depending on the time you ask someone. A person's future at Dell lies mostly in their hands. Mentor & Network with the right people and it is possible to go very far at Dell. At times Nashville Dell does have a tendency to promote and open more doors for a certain type of person. (i.e. people with families or what I call good ole boys or the stereotypical all american guy or if a woman then the sorority girl, cheerleader stereotype or more on the flirty side) If a person is not one of these things it is definitely harder for them to get ahead of the game or to control their own destiny at Dell. Let me be to the point, right now at Dell I don't see any Gay men in leadership positions at Dell. I like to believe that Dell is a diverse work environment but being honest, I got far fast at Dell until managers got to know me and found out I was gay and then personally investing in me as a person was non existent. Knowing this now I have decided to keep things to myself and just do my job and go home.

The other aspect of Dell that is good or bad depending on when you ask someone who works for Dell is their compensation plan. They change it so much that figuring out exactly how you get paid is nearly impossible and it is never consistant. When it is good it's Great but when it's bad is really bad.

One last thing I think it's funny how the past 3 or 4 positions I have been with at Dell was because Dell decided that is where I had to go, there was no choice so I made the best of a bad situation. Except when they hired 8 new people on the team at a higher pay
  more... grade than what I was getting paid at and I had to train them to do their jobs....and was not offered a higher pay grade to do so. I still did it and did it with a smile on my face because I love helping others.

Overall Dell is a good place to work and it's great money when you can get it and even better money when you realize that you don't necessarily have to have a college degree to make the kind of money that you can make at Dell. A person just has to be driven, dedicated, disciplined and the ability to learn business processes in a fast paced environment.
Pros
a lot of free food, pay, time off, health insurance, 401k
Cons
confusing compensation package, pay continuity
Dell Enterprise Expert
L2-B2 Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 21, 2014
There is a saying at dell - Dell is a good first job and 3rd job.
Over all, if you wanting to get a start in the IT field but have no formal training, Dell is a good place to start. Most job opportunities at dell are call center positions. Its very grueling work. on the IT side you work from a consumer side, up till you get promoted to enterprise support. due to dells fast changing nature as a company - that happens with in about a year and a half. you work your way up to platinum Enterprise Support - then you hit the glass ceiling. at that point you are the best of the best that dell has for IT support. the only career advancement after that is to become a NOS - network operating Systems specialist, Team lead, Manger, or TAM - technical account manager, or SDM - service delivery manager.
Dells strong points :
they have great training, and great benefits.
They would have to in order to keep any workers.
Dells weak points:
Extremely bad upper middle management, Poor employee morale, micro-managing floor managers and employees.
they made it very clear when i was there that IT was an UN-necessary expenditure for Dell and we were costing the company money. there were numerous times i saw upper middle management - a husband and wife team, which was a violation of dells actual policy on conflict of interests, use a verbal hammer to make the floor managers and team get into shape, by letting us know they could fire our entire team at the drop of a hat. this was actauly no idol threat. one day the fire the entire sales floor (over 300 + ) workers. they did not know that they were fired
  more... until they showed up the next day for work and could not get in to the building.

Dell has a reputation of having revolving doors of employment. if you make it to 3 months your doing good, if you make to 6 months your an old timer. if you make it past the first year you are a worker that is tough as tempered steel. Getting fired is like Russian rulet - one day your going to get the bullet. it could be a series of really bad calls, poor or weak performance on matrix or they just decide they don't need you any more. one day the WILL fire you.
Pros
good training, good health benefits, 401k
Cons
bad management, poor morale, tough environment to work in.
Probably not worth the money anymore
E-Commerce Management Sr. Advisor (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXApril 24, 2013
The positives:

Good work-life balance. Ability to work from home at times. Ability to create your own schedule to a certain degree.

Pays better than almost any other employer in town.

And a very collaborative environment - consulting colleagues and forming cross-functional teams encouraged. Meaning you have opportunities to give input and be heard from time to time.

The bad:
Bonuses may vary wildly year-to-year, so don't count on those. Reviews can be a disappointment, even for hard working people, depending on the year and the manager because of the way Dell allots teams certain numbers of good and bad employee rankings regardless of actual team performance. Also there's no clear set of criteria you can meet to ensure advancement. Seems like it's mostly based on favoritism.

Advancement and moving between teams used to be encouraged. But the amount of time you must spend in-role increased from 6 months, 12 months, now all the way up to 18 months. And after 18 months, a current manager to veto your move for no strong reason- this has happened to several people I know.

Layoffs are extremely frequent- several times a year now. It causes employees stress and creates "every man for himself" environment where people feel compelled to steal each others' credit in an effort to prove they still have value.

The hardest workers tend not to get rewarded because Dell rewards politics over hard work.

No perks like free food/drinks or other cool stuff that's popular at other tech companies.

Cog-in-a-big-machine feeling affects A LOT of the workers.

Constant re-organization. About
  more... twice a year teams consolidate, merge, and lay-off or demote some people. Sometimes more often.

Can be a great experience if you land with a good manager, but you're likely to have the same manager only 1-2 yrs and you never know who/what you'll end up with next.

Bit of a boys' club- many women there agree that men are more likely to get promoted, better rankings and better bonuses than women.

Poor executive leadership, clueless about how to really make it back to the top of the industry.
Dell was a great place to work for many reasons to include: Great pay, supportive managers, flexible schedules,and lots of training just to name a few
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXApril 9, 2013
A typical day started at 9am to 6pm. We always started out with a fifteen minute meeting to get our day started. This meeting was to get all managers up to speed on issues from the day prior. This could be things from defective parts, wrong purchase orders, team projections for the week, daily outputs as well as setbacks. My daily duties consisted of creating spreadsheets and managing financial reports, as well as assisting team members and customers with various requests. I managed team executives calendars, expenses,travel, and meetings.

I learned how to be very patient since things did not always go as planned. I was able to adapt to any situation rather good or bad. I also learned how to be a great listener as well as a great communicator.

Dell's management team is one of the best I've had in my work history. They were very supportive to not only upper management but also to all subordinates that were under them. They understood that we all were a team and it took teamwork to make Dell a successful company.

I must say that my team at Dell was like a family. We helped each other no matter what. True enough we had our good days and bad days because we all have different attitudes as well as different things going on in our lives. No matter what, we never let our differences get in the way of our work production. That is what made us a great team.

The hardest part of the job was when we didn't meet our quotas which were rarely or when we had to stay extra late to rework systems do to a part being defective before being shipped out to the customers.

The most enjoyable part
  more... of the job was making our quotas and receiving extra bonuses from the company. We also enjoyed hanging out with each other from time to time after work. We were like a happy family. It was always good to see our CEO with a big smile on his face when we hit his numbers.  less
Pros
excellent leadership, advancement, pay, and flexibility.
Cons
layoffs were a sad time at dell.
DO NOT GO INTO SALES AT DELL
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2015
First, Dell will tell you the calls are not routed in the call center. They definitely are. Based on technical knowledge, you will receive the "undesired" calls. Calls ranging from mis-routed Customer Care to calls from outside of the United States.

Second, to obtain a decent wage, one must take the most calls (higher chance of getting a customer that will buy), and work 60+ hours a week. On the topic of wage, Dell has a team outside of the United States that will cancel/change sales reps IDs on orders without notification. Sales reps are paid on shipped orders, you can see where I am getting at. Dell has this team in place to secure their bottom line. So they do not have to pay out bonuses/commissions to their higher achieving reps. They'll make excuses saying this sku number is invalid, or that overseas team member "forgot" to change the rep ID to the correct sales representative.

Third, when trying to advance my career, I was told I could not move into a role I was qualified for due to bureaucratic policies in place. It is a ladder-like structure that prevents an individual to go from a Sales department to a Marketing department for example. While the jobs are completely different, this is to keep the sales reps in their roles as sales reps and nothing more. When I contacted the HR department I was told, "You are just a sales rep" when I presented my resume stating I was qualified for a marketing role. When I brought the topic of my "stolen" compensation, as stated in the earlier paragraph. The HR representative said, "Dell is not responsible for lost or stolen wages."
  more... And would not go further into the discussion.

I'm sure Dell is a great career if you're not in Sales. If you start off at Dell in Sales, be prepared if you're trying to venture into Marketing, Finance, or any other department.
Pros
Great Money For Recent Grads
Cons
If in Sales You'll Stay in Sales, HR is Worthless, No on flushes the toilet
An experience
Computer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORDecember 27, 2013
The first time I walked in the door for my interview there were two people literally yelling at their headsets, a girl sitting by the door crying and someone knocked a garbage can over as they stomped past me and out the door.
I learned that I really don't like selling people things they really don't need and really won't use. I got almost no returns because I took the time to make sure I knew what people actually needed, but that left my numbers a little too low.
Management was interesting, the turnover rate among employees was quite high, and managers also didn't last long. Each one had a very different style, some worked better than others. Some of my co-workers were great, worked hard and pitched sales. The ones that didn't try hard didn't last long.
The hardest part of the job was the constant nagging to SELL! SELL! SELL! and the shouts of TEAM! WATCH YOUR PERCENTAGES! and other 'helpful' encouragements. If people didn't need much, but could afford a lot, we were supposed to push them to get as much as possible; but I just couldn't manage it. It seemed wrong.
There wasn't a lot that I enjoyed when I worked there, in fact when I left I was singing a song I wrote that rhymed Dell with.... never mind. There was one call in particular that I remember where a family needed a computer for Christmas and they called in to get it only four days before the date! The mom was just going to get the cheapest thing and pay almost $300 on shipping, so I talked her into upgrading to a better system that wasn't back ordered and included free shipping and she ended up getting a much better
  more... product for less that got there Christmas eve! I know because she wrote me a glowing email that made my week! But that is the only good thing I remember. I mean, after I quit, that location fired all its employees on pajama day. So mean!  less
Pros
lunch was an hour, unless they said no
Cons
burnt out on phones for a long time
Project: IT Infrastructure Services
Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 25, 2014
Project: IT Infrastructure Services
The IT Infrastructure Services caters to all the technical and administration aspects of the companies Oracle and SQL Database infrastructure.My role was the first point of call for providing technical support as well as specialist technical input.

Responsibilities:

• Oracle database administration, backup monitoring and recovery in IBM TSM, performance monitoring, tuning, migration, RAC.
• Implemented Oracle 10g R2 Data Guard along with maintenance of the standby database.
• Devising innovative & useful SQL & PL/SQL scripts for automating database, resource monitoring tasks and for generating alerts.
• Preparing & performing the backup & recovery strategies using RMAN, online/offline backups, export/import utilities.
• Install, upgrade, patching and configuration of Oracle 10g R2 database software.
• Change management process documentation through Remedy issue tracking system.
• Work with Oracle Support for timely resolution of Oracle database issues.
• Preparing documentation for requirements, design, install and Unit testing and System Integration.
• Experience in Tuning SQL statements and procedures for the maximum efficiency in various schemas across database.
• Database Growth and Space management, capacity planning,table, distributing the tablespaces, redo logs, archived redo logs on different disks to optimize database I/O performance.
• Responsible for installation, maintenance and trouble shooting of databases on RAC.
• Monitoring the CPU, Memory utilization and Processes at the OS level by using Oracle AWR (Automatic Workload
  more... Repository) reports
• Helped in database object and code migration through TEST, UAT, and STAGE to PROD databases.

Environments: Oracle 11g, Oracle Enterprise Manager, UNIX shell programming, SQL*Plus, Red Hat Linux 7.0.
Expert Windows Developer End to End
Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJFebruary 5, 2015
• Played the role of a Technical Lead.
• Designed, Developed and Maintained Desktop Authority Product line spanning several releases.
• Designed strict Lockdown of Internet configuration and Local Account Management for effective security.
• Independently Enhanced and Maintained Desktop Authority USB/Port Security product to better control access to Peripheral Devices.
• Enhanced Configuration, Diagnostic, Build Tools and Installers.
• Performed significant research and Analysis on how to solve new product requirements and translate them into Functional and Design specifications.
• Provided solutions to deal with usability, performance, scalability, security, compliance and security vulnerabilities.
• Helped and guided the team to solve challenging/critical issues faced from time to time.
• Performed design and code reviews of several components from time to time.
• Delivered consistently with desired quality in a time bound manner while working on multiple things.
• Employed Agile methodologies, Communicated & Collaborated effectively with R&D, QA, PM and Tech Support.
• Proposed great ideas for innovation
• Enhance and Maintain K2000 deployment product.
Desktop Authority Skills: C, C++, VC++, C#, Win32, STL, MFC, ASP.Net, WPF, WCF, ADO.Net, COM/DCOM, XML, WinInet, NamedPipes, WebServices, OpenSSL, Cryptography, FIPS 140-2, Compression, Kernel Device Drivers, WMI, MAPI, VBA, Active Directory, Group Policies, Interfacing with Hardware Devices, WinDBG, Design Patterns, Multithreading, Virtualization, User Workspace Management, Installshield11.5/2013,IIS, NetFramework1.1-4.0,
  more... SQLServer2005/2008, WinXP/2K/2K3/Vista/7/8/2K8/2K12.
K2000 Skills: PHP, FreeBSD 7.2, VBScript, Shell Scripting, UEFI, Pre-boot, MySQL, Windows XP to 2K12
Overall good place of employment but can be very high stressed.
Medium & Large Business Sales (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 17, 2013
I was in their Medium to Large business sales division. As all sales jobs, there is stress that comes along with it. Dell managers for the most part aren't micro managers, but there are a few still out there. Everyone can get a little obsessed on hitting metrics versus booking business for the company. For example you could achieve your daily quota but if you didn't make 50 outbound phone calls, you might still get threaten with a written warning. It's elements like that which led me to pursue other opportunities.

Most the people you work with will become great friends but across three campus sites, you can get a little resentment from your fellow coworkers as you cannot get credit for an order you worked on if someone else steals it at the last moment. Again this is a fact of a sales job, and anyone looking for a good sales job should expect this with any company.

Finally, Dell doesn't pay for overtime in the traditional way. Since you are salary and paid on commission they typically set up your quarterly quotas very high so you have to work long hours to obtain it. That could mean skipping your breaks, eating lunch at your desk, and/or working two hours more each day just to break even with your quota. They've already lost several court cases involving overtime laws (two times while I worked there) yet haven't made any changes to the way they handle it.
Pros
free lunches during crunch time, great coworkers for the most part
Cons
long hours, stressful environment, occasionally you feel like management is trying to hold you back with metrics
Dell In Oklahoma City
L2-B2 COMPUTER TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 22, 2014
Dell has some strong points and weak points just like all companies.
the strong points:
good training and lots of it, great health benefits, fairly decent pay for our position.

the weak points:
bad upper management, bad communication between upper and lower management resulting in micromanagement, "dell is a Meritoctrocy"

Dell has a high turnover rate. I often liken it to Russian rullet - eventually someday your going to get the bullet (pink slip). if you were there for over 6 months - your were a battle tested old timer, tried in the crucible fire of the call center. there was one time i saw them lay off an entire sales floor of over 200 people. they did not tell their employees about it, until they came into work one Monday morning and were bared access to entering the building. They also will fight giving unemployment to anyone they lay off or fire. my advice - if you are laid off by dell and they refuse to give you unemployment, choose to fight the decision and call in to the court hearing. their lawyers wont show up. At dell they make it widely known that "Tech Support it an unwanted expense to dells profit margin" how ever we are what brought customers back to dell. at its core dell is just another call center environment. after dell laid me off, i was thankful for the whole year i was un-employed that i didn't have to get up and go to work in the morning for Dell. it was at dell that i discovered HR doesn't work for the employees rights - it works for the corporations rights over the employees.
Pros
good benefits package, good training
Cons
bad management, shady business practices
Bias work environment, not much room for advancement
Solutions Readiness Consultant/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 27, 2015
16 years at Dell with an ever changing environment. Few good leaders, but a lot of micro-managers with little to no job knowledge in the organization area they cover. Top level has a plan but the individual mangers underneath this high level are doing their own things not in line with company goals. Typical work day is 8 to 5 or 7 with plenty of busy work, that could be improved on. Processes are behind the times, but legacy folks will not get rid of outdated tools. Management could be reduced, due to over abundance of management levels. Too many middle-men/women, not enough workers for the work. My co-workers were exceptional people doing whatever it took to get things done, with little reward and not looking for it. Our success meant company success, so we were good with that alone. The hardest part of the job was the great uncertainty on whether you were going to have a job or not as the goals of the company changed or the reorganization into new groups took place. No one had an idea what was going on, then you did not have a job at the end of the day. The explanations were weak and no loyalty to the people who stayed to see and help the company move from public to private. The most enjoyable part of my job was the non-management employees I met and built relationships with over my 16 years at Dell Inc, and the worst was the selfish management and lack of loyalty this company shows to its employees.
Pros
People you work with on the variety of jobs
Cons
Lack of loyalty, advancement, pay, and job incentives
Open door policy. From President to intern - everyone worked within a cubicle, allowing everyone to feel on the same level. Very collaborative culture
Internship (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2015
A typical day would be to sit with my marketing team to ensure that we were on track to meet Kyle Dufresne' goals (leader of our sales team we supported) and that we met ours. We would then use the week to locate and teach a speaker we felt had enough knowledge to lead the training exercise. CO-workers were highly intelligent very type 'A' individuals who's goals tied into the overall goal of the company. Hardest part of the job was finding an individual somewhere within the company nationwide that had the absolute knowledge to lead 300 ISR's on the topic. Even more difficult when the topic is a newly acquired company or product; for example SonicWall. There are only a very select few of people who know the ins - and - outs of the product that can train ISR's on how to sell the product while also incorporating the whole "Dell Story." Working closely with ISR's and hearing how sales are made over the phone was extremely exciting and fun. Another enjoyable part were the free perks from Intel. I was able to go to a few sporting event and also obtained concert tickets. It was very enjoyable to work hard with your colleagues during the week then also be given opportunities to have fun with one another outside the work place. I 100% believe the bonding outside the office enabled us to work better as a team week in and week out.
Pros
Talented people. Innovative company with hardworking people
Cons
High Pressure
Dell Computers. Well.......
Warehouse Stocker/Computer Parts Installer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2013
Good co-workers. It's fun to communicate. Some co-workers were mean and disgusting. While most of them were friendly. The management were swarming like flies. Nothing bad about the place, except we were just temps that turned permanent workers. Most of the guys were let off their temp agencies just because of the overload of workers that compensate their hiring process.

Most of the time, it's hard to get onto a temp agency and work at Dell with that. Spherion was the temp agency I went through and believe me, it's like being in career school all over again. Paper work was like being in class. Most of the time, they will guarantee a full position if you ask to be permanent, It depends on how you work and if you are productive for them.

I learned that it's not easy being a full time staff there in their warehouse. Once you become a permanent worker, there is no turning back.

I have nothing good to say about how management works. They were shoddy and unreliable when it comes to helping you get onto Dell Manufacturing Warehouse permanently.

Co-workers were great. They were like family.

There was nothing very hard about the job since I know about technology and art.

The food truck, the computers, the operating systems that Dell runs. I have a Dell right now as a matter of fact.
Pros
co-workers were nice, dealing with computer software and gadgets, food truck, learning more about computers and how to assemble them
Cons
shoddy management with the temp agencies that hire through dell, the risk of being laid-off
Tech Writers - Avoid InfoDev Department in Nashua
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 5, 2013
I contracted with the InfoDev Dept. for nearly a year. After I was hired (along with several others), I learned there was a "mass-firing / exodus" in the InfoDev Dept weeks beforehand (in the spring of 2012). I didn't understand, since the work environment was decent and my coworkers were excellent... though everyone seemed a bit skittish. Just over 1-year later, and months before a major product release, another mass-firing occurred and over 25% of the InfoDev department was laid off or fired without reason. (There was PLENTY of work.) Now they are advertising for Technical Writers again! Apparently lining up a new crew for the 2014 slaughter.
The InfoDev management structure is very corrupt in Nashua. I almost was not hired over concerns that I did not have enough experience being a "team player". I fit into the team wonderfully, but that is not what the manager wanted. She meant "her team", not the team of people in her department.
So, as long as you can live with the fact that your contract may be revoked at any time without any reason, Dell InfoDev Nashua is a fine employment option... especially for women, who seem to be the preferred gender, especially where promotions are concerned. Despite that, I enjoyed working there, and fully expected to be hired full time at some point. The layoff could not have surprised me more, but now I realize it is an annual event.
Pros
$0.50 for everything in the vending machines; free coffee
Cons
zero job security. major flaws in infodev management structure.
Sitting on the wrong side of the fence
Sr. Business Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 12, 2015
I loved my position and the duties of my role however the staffing agency of Dell seriously needs to change before there is a case against them. There is A LOT of workplace discrimination between the temporary agents to the permanent employees. Permanent employees can be tardy, not adhere to their schedules, wear whatever they please and do however they please including their cell phones. However if you're a temp you cannot be a minute late, you're under a microscope 24/7, if you even breathe wrong they will either call you in for a meeting or end your assignment. Coming from Apple where we were all one and treated equal with that family feeling as well as great open feedback sadly that is not the same for Dell. The temporary staff management does not listen to feedback but feels that you are attacking someone else and feels you should just keep your head down and mouth shut. I learned a lot in the short time I was with Dell however I feel their management needs to improve drastically!
Pros
Convienent Startbucks vendor in every building, great training, a lot of assistance if you are having issues with a case or work tast, certain team leads and managers are fun however they are not your actual manager.
Cons
Micro-Managing, Need a grace period to clocking in due to their football field size parking lots and large campus, workplace discrimnation between temporary staff and permanent employees, inconsistency with managment
Innovative, Technology driven, Fast Growing and Great teamwork focused on Exceeding Expectations.
SOLUTION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 4, 2014
- My days consist of meeting with customers, prospects, peers and business partners.

- I've learned how paramount a teamwork driven, strategic culture drive and reinforced by All executives in critical to keep a company growing.

- Management is critical to understanding the challenges across multiple facets of the business, ironing out obstacles for direct reports, managing up the chain to make sure their management reinforces their teams dynamics and understands how to get the most focus along with efforts out of all roles.

- My co-workers in this role are very focused (as I am) on our quarterly goals. The challenge with this role is that animosity is created as teamwork at all levels isn't focused on thus delivering mediocre results across the board.

- A large part of my job is lobbying internally within our segment groups, getting teams bought into our business units focus which sometimes creates competition between myself and other peers.

- The most enjoyable put of my job is understand customers business issues, how that can be solved through technology solutions and seeing that project through implementation thus creating a trusted business relationship.
Pros
flexible schedule, entertaining customers, working with different companies across all industries.
Cons
being in control of your compensation, management support, lack of focused resources.