Dell Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,859 reviews matching the search
Generally a good place to work
Cloud Client Computing Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 5, 2016
Dell has lots of positives. They are a stable growing company, and have reach into most Enterprise Accounts.

Job advancement is likely better if you are in Austin. Field positions are primarily sales centric, and advancement is hard to come by.

Many people stay at Dell a long time. The way they do things is hard to pick up at first, and it takes several years to settle into the roles.
Pros
Stable, Recognizable, Good 401K Program
Cons
Large Bureaucracy;Advancement is more limited n the field than in Austin
Great Place to work
Senior Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 30, 2016
A normal day with Dell is waking up at home and starting my day. The job is a remote position, so I do everything from home. I absolutely love my job, but it is an contracted position so the job security is not available. The company has continuously kept me employed , however with the different switch of contracts there is really no room for growth. I'm am always trying to climb the ladder and be the best I can be in every position, so I'm not content being at the bottom of the pole.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
No room for growth
Depends on role and organization
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 28, 2016
Dell is a great place to work and just like any other big corporation, it really depends on your role, organization, and leadership team. Benefits and compensation are fair for all the work we do.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Health care costs increasing
DELL Services previously Perot Systems
Infrastructure Consultant - Russell Investments (Former Employee) –  Plano TXMay 26, 2016
Awesome career and experience obtained. Enjoyed my co-workers, made many friends over the years.

Michael Dell the founder and CEO Is a great man and has done well. When purchasing many companies to cover all aspects of IT his goal was to become a company that can provide end to end solutions all in house.

This made sense and I was all for it. Then he bought back his stock to make it private quite an achievement to do. The purpose seemed very smart in which was to make it easier to stream line internal processes, break down barriers, and to remove the division of business units so that we can work freely and easily across all areas. This goal never occurred for some reason. Maybe it was too difficult to get this done.

Out of the blue a total change of direction and no explanation for it. Michael decides he is going to buy a company bigger than his, EMC. To do it he sells off Dell Services Perot Systems. And to raise more money he makes one of the BU the Secure Works a profitable BU of the company sections it off to make this one BU and individual company to go IPO in order to raise more money to make the purchase of EMC. All of this makes me wonder what happen to his smart vision he had previously and I am not sure where he is heading now. But for sure the company will continue to do well.
Pros
Good strong company.
Cons
Large push lately to offshore affects US workers.
If you like micromanaging this job is for you
Client Technical Support Sr. Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 26, 2016
The job in it of itself is fine. Just tech support for customers, aka call center. Annoying at times because sometimes you get unreasonable people on the line, but you get used to it.

All the cons are almost all internal. Micromanagement to the point where it's counterproductive and you can't even do your job correctly. So metric driven that good employees who really try to take care of their customer's are the ones taking a hit. Yet they tell you to not "pay attention to metrics and just take care of the customer". Total BS.

Extremely stressful environment, they are constantly changing policies to where you can't keep up and do your work, policies where nothing was wrong in the first place. Due to some of these policies, you are almost guaranteed to have to work overtime on an almost daily basis (yet management get mad if you use overtime).

Very contradictory environment.

I doubt the CEO knows how much of a turnover there is at this place.
Pros
Great co-workers, will never ask you to work days you're not scheduled to
Cons
Literally everything else
Same but different
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 23, 2016
Dell wants you to be with them for the long term. They appear to want seasoned sales professionals that are able to quickly adapt to customers needs and upcoming technologies.

Corporate wise Dell is run very lean with very little flexibility in expense reports and salary increases. If you do not move positions in Dell you will not be able to move up in compensation.
Pros
Decent Salary
Cons
Salary Growth
Fun and interesting work
Technical Support (Tri-lingual) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2016
Customer Service Representative handling tech support for Brazilian clients

I learned the how to handle the technology and support of various products.

Management was very helpful, attentive and motivating.

Coworkers were friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of the job was learning new skills, but I did learn them with the help of managers and coworkers. It was also difficult to get used to sitting at a computer all day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Great employees and management
Cons
Sitting at computer all day
Challenging & rewarding
Support Desk - Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 20, 2016
over all great organization
it is a very challenging work environment
very diverse
obtained certifications
very fast paced environment
Pros
access to free gym, cafetiria
Cons
alot of traffic
eBusiness Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 20, 2016
Great work/life balance and compensation/benefits. Last few years, job mobility has been limited by freezes and advancement is complicated especially at the senior levels. Recent privatization and merger with EMC impacting job security as Dell looks to reduce costs.
Pros
Work life/balance, flexible working arrangements, great people
Cons
Job security/advancement, future uncertainty
Great Place to Work
Senior Programmer / Analyst + Technical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 18, 2016
Worked remote from 7-4 Mon-Fri.
Learned SSIS and C. Also about supply chain processes,
Management were great.
Co-Workers very nice.
Being on call on weekend and at nights.
Location and co-workers.
Great Company
Sales Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 18, 2016
My daily activities included pulling various types of reports for the Renewals team. I was responsible for working closely with sales team. There was nothing hard about the Job. I enjoy everyday at work. Dell is Great company to work for.
Great people
Inside Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 18, 2016
There is not enough transparency into the numbers given out that directly pertain to the sales makers attainment. Reporting is consistently incorrect yet one is to have faith that they are being paid properly. Anytime you ask management for clarity, it gets pushed to the back burner and no answer/resolution is every given.
Cons
you are just a number
Friendly and Productive
Customer Site Operations Support (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 18, 2016
Management and team leads are always available to give any help or support required and take all employees ideas and opinions into consideration.
Good Work environment and interactive team
Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 17, 2016
very good team to work with, We can work many areas of software development. But Need to complete the job in time. I have learned lot of things in just few months.co-workers are very co-operative and knowledgeable. The hardest part is understanding the product stack and solving issues related to production.
Pros
job culture, Work balance
Cons
health care
Great Place to work at
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 17, 2016
Dell was exciting and challenging. You had to be open to change every day and every week. Kept me young. You needed to be adaptable and learn new ways.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Lived Quarter to Quarter
dell summary
Client Technical support (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 17, 2016
great job to work on people skills. a typical day is answering about 7 or 8 calls a day, emailing customers back, setting up service when needed. I learned that it does not hurt to ask question and for help. co-workers are friendly. the hardest part is handling case loads. the most enjoyable party is helping customer with there issues.
Not family oriented, very very scripted
Call Center representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 16, 2016
Dell is nothing like the website says. NEVER get raises at this company, lacking tracking, not personable supervisors, throw to the wolves after 1 week of training. 1/2 of department calls in every day, stressful job, not friendly co workers
Pros
Cons
no raises ever, low pay, high turnover
Pervasive sense that Dell's best days are behind it
International Business Consultant/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2016
I worked at Dell for two periods of three years with a ten year break in between. The first time was around 2000 and the atmosphere was positive if a little staid.

The second time around I went back to the same group and found the a pervasive sense that Dell's best days are behind it. My colleagues lived in constant fear of lay-offs and the flavor of the month management initiative. There were a lot of whispered conversations and covering of rear ends.

After working four months of 75 hour work weeks, I told a manager that something had to change. She said, "if you're not working on Saturday and Sunday like the rest of us, then you're not carrying your share of the load."

I jumped at the chance to take a voluntary buy-out and am much happier in my current job. I would never, ever go back.
Pros
salary
Cons
depressing, non-collaborative culture
Ok place
Training Advisor (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 11, 2016
Good job, but political. A lot of managers have no idea what they are doing. Good old boy network in full effect. Would work there for the right team.
Service Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2016
Internally Dell makes a very big deal about work/life balance. Unfortunately, the reality is that it is fictional reading. Dell does a lot of things very well, but creating a relaxed culture is not one of them. Dell can be classified as a culture of "workaholics" because we are driven to perform at a very high level to ensure goals and and performance relate to high output.

Working at Dell is both satisfying and extremely stressful. If a person stays at Dell long enough and leaves the company that person can create a Post Dell Traumatic Syndrome. (PDTS).

However, there are many great things about Dell. There is a corporate shutdown for the week of Christmas that is a paid holiday. The PBA time is great, the vacation days are great. The benefits were fantastic when I first started, however, you will pay more out of pocket until your deductible is met, so enroll in the HSA fund.

Like I said, Dell is a great place to work for the right kind of person. It offers fantastic career opportunities as a global company, but I feel Michael may have leveraged the whole company to buy EMC. I expect to see Dell Technologies becoming publicly traded in the next three years once the EMC deal is completed.