Delphi Automotive Employee Reviews in United States

A shadow of its former self
Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 22, 2016
Sadly Delco Electronics / Delphi Electronics & Safety Corp devolved from a company that cared very much for the people who worked for it (and BTW made GM tons of money) to a company who seems to care little for the people who work for it now (and still makes oodles of money). Just look at how the salaried retirees from the company were treated. if you are employed there, you will work on interesting products and technologies, be challenged by management whose main priorities seem to be to hold costs down,and make some decent wages but you had better plan for your own future, just in case.
Pros
Very interesting products and technologies
Cons
Prepare to be abused time-wise.
Dynamic environment
Global Engineering Controller, E&S Division (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 22, 2016
My current role at Delphi affords me many opportunities. I manage a diverse, global staff for which I provide training on corporate policies. I consult with senior leaders and executives regarding the financial performance which requires excellent written and verbal communication skills. The dynamic auto industry requires creative thinking and the ability to manage multiple tasks.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Work / Life Balance
Comfortable place to work with good co-workers and immediate supervisors
Manufacturing / Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIAugust 5, 2016
Company has a short term view, worrying about profits for shareholders at the expense of long term commitments. Middle level employees are good knowledgeable people who are fun to work with.
Pros
Mid level people
Cons
Short term view
Easy going work place
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, PAAugust 1, 2016
Delphi was a easy going workplace with great supervisors. There were 8 techs that handle calls from all over North America. Once you understood how the radios functioned the job became second nature.

Downside was we were self employed and had no benefits package or 401k.
Pros
easy going workplace
Cons
benefits healthcare
Worked way to much there 60 hours/week.
Systems Engineering Group/Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 21, 2016
Had sharp engineers but pressures from automotive customers caused many engineers to burn out and leave the company. I left because I saw what was going to happen starting in 2007 based on budget and headcount reductions.
Pros
Worked on cutting edge technologies for automotive.
Cons
Worked way to many hours.
No Career growth/Benefits
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 13, 2016
No growth in career even after working for over 10 years. Pay & benefits are below average with no job security as hundreds were laid-off in past 10 years.
only work
Assist in Q.C. Design, Testing of Mech (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 13, 2016
It was a good job good people to work for learned a lot about testing auto parts how they are made writing up reports and telling the Engineers ..
Pros
good job
Cons
layoff
best place ever
Assembly Line Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 8, 2016
wish they had not of sold out to a new company because it was a really cool place to work.I use to work at the battery plant years ago and then it closed so they opened up a new palce in nkc and it was cool very flexible very friendly and very understanding. I kind of miss the place a bit.
Pros
everything
Cons
closed
Shark Tank
Electrical Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 26, 2016
With Delphi Automotive, you have to understand the history to understand the culture. This is the company that used to be Delco and were the sole exclusive supplier of electronics and wiring harnesses to GM for decades before their spinoff in and around the late 1990's. They went from 12,000 strong down to 1,100 people at present day numbers. This means that there have been several hard and difficult staff reductions over the years and so the only people that remain are either the best or most ruthless of what they started with. If you are lucky to get in here, be prepared to be on the bleeding edge of Automotive technology. Also be prepared to work your rear end off. This is not a place for the weak or lazy. But it is very interesting work and looks good on the resume.
Pros
Intense, high-tech and lots of things to learn here
Cons
Job security is iffy at best, low margins=high expectations
Supervisor treated us like adults and trusted us to get our jobs done on our own.
Dimensional Metrologist / Quality (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 2, 2016
Really enjoyed the years spent at Delphi. I was sorry they decided to offer us buy-outs and early retirements. If I had been able to keep working there I would be retiring soon. Or maybe still working because I really enjoyed my job.
Pros
I had a wide variety of experience there which has paid of on my current job a lot.
Cons
The job ended before I could get my 30years in.
Good
Test Technician Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 30, 2016
Good Place to work. Management is very flexible if you need a day off or need to work slightly different hours. Co-workers are friendly. Technical Center Rochester.
Great Company
Methods Engineer (Former Employee) –  BrazilMay 25, 2016
Great place to work, but due to the crisis over thre in Brazil Company do not hold the most value employees.

Other countries much better to work with a lot of training in Mexico like example.
Worked prior to bankruptcy- great place to work then
IT Security Compliance Leader (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 19, 2016
After bankruptcy was announced culture understandably changed.
Job duties were double and tripled as staff left the company
This was a very good well organized organization.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 17, 2016
I would have liked to have careered here if possible. It was a fair unionized place to work that improved my skill set. This company was unionized as a UAW facility. The re pore that I had established with union leadership and employees was good. They showed me a lot of respect because of my leadership and team work skills. Mostly the all spoke of my fairness and respect towards everyone.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
being a contract employee at the time that this dividion of GM was in trouble
Sr. HP-UX/Red Hat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 6, 2016
Work from home position. A lot of very good Unix Engineering work but way too much documentation interfering with Engineering work.
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
Put menial tasks before real Engineering Work
Nice stepping ground
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Henrietta, NYApril 27, 2016
For career starters (and gear heads alike) it's a nice stepping ground, a lot of exposure to a variety of automotive R&D processes, and a lot of very seasoned individuals to learn from. However there is a few generation gaps as the corporation has failed to maintain resources and staff in the 90s and 2000s. People are very welcoming in the facility, however many have histories with why they are still where they are in the corporation (re: lack of growth, pension removed/decline in benefits along with stagnant pay after the first 3/4 years). Management fails to manage, either do not care any more due to the above reasons, or fail to know how to manage by just supervising, and not proving any support.

Corporately it is a very top heavy organization with a plethora of high level VPs (used to be a handful, now several dozen to hundreds), and low population of worker bees.
Pros
Cafeteria has a goregous view
Cons
Lack of growth, no training (lack of funds for)
A well managed company with little waste.
Engineering Technician Sr./Quality Technician Sr (Former Employee) –  Frederick, COApril 16, 2016
An efficient company with functional tiers of management. Everyone collaborated to get the job done. I learned how to write better procedures and work on a variety of product. Was sent to Mitutoyo CMM training facility.
Pros
Fun work place
Cons
No promotions available for subordinates.
Great Job
Surface Mount Operator (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIApril 15, 2016
Great Job, Great Management, good opportunities for advancement,
Great co-workers. The hardest part of this job was when the plant closed which was a sad thing due to the fact that this location was making money.
Cons
Plant closed
The people make it a fun workplace.
Validation and Test Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 14, 2016
A typical day at work includes meeting with customers/team members, writing test plans, designing and implementing test equipment, setting up tests, writing test reports, etc.

Through this job I have improved my programming skills with many languages, as well as test automation with NI products including Labview and TestStand. I have also improved my communication and technical writing skills.

My direct management is very good and does what it takes to make sure we can do our jobs to the fullest extent, but there seems to be a disconnect with upper management in the company and the lower "worker bees".

The co-workers make the job very enjoyable and make the day go by quicker.

The hardest part of the job is the long hours required to meet hard deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a test setup work flawlessly for the first time after working many hours to design/implement the setup.
Pros
Good work environment, good pay
Cons
Poor upper management, not the best benefits
Horrible Place
Fan Clutch Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHMarch 19, 2016
It did not take long to figure out the place was going under. Management was clueless. Too big to fail pervaded the culture.

Delphi Automotive Reviews by Location