Delphi Automotive Employee Reviews in United States

I was looking forward to becoming Office Manager until Construction Industry took a hit
Accounting Asst /Admin (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLFebruary 18, 2016
I enjoyed my job while working for Delphini Construction Company. My office manager had been training me for the past couple of years to take over her position as she and her hubby bought a yacht and were preparing for a happy retirement. The business was booming.

Then the construction industry took a hit. Unfortunately my office manager couldn't leave her job as she anticipated and remained there for quite sometime after I was laid off. I enjoyed all aspects of my job. I liked my co-workers and management team. Sometimes the owner would ask me to take his BMW to gas it up or give it a shine. The hardest part of my job was when I had to come back to work in that "Beamer" on sunny days instead of just heading out towards the beach.
Pros
Advancement, Security, Great Team
Cons
I got laid off
poorly managed
machinist, assembler (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 22, 2016
We worked to machine parts for, and to assemble automotive air conditioner compressors. The shifts varied from 8 hours, 5 days a week, to 11 hours a day, 3 days a week. The machines were largely out of date and the company wouldn't spend the money to properly fix them, because they were planning on going out of the automotive parts business. The management was inconsistent, and often contradictory. The best part of the job was it paid fairly well and had good benefits.
Pros
Good wages while it lasted.
Cons
Terrible work conditions, and plant closeing.
Delphi Automotive LLC
Global Cost Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 13, 2015
I worked in the Cost Management Group for Delphi's Global Supply Management for 12 years. Many of my colleagues were among the brightest and hard-working people I have known. I enjoyed creating the cost models, working with buyers, visiting suppliers and training others in Cost Management.

Initially my position required a fair amount of travel, something that I found stimulating. I particularly enjoyed the contacts with the buying community in many different countries, and I found that working with suppliers in different countries and locations to be a rewarding challenge. That changed, however, when I took over as manager of the group, since my responsibilities were more general and no longer involved the same level of personal contact. That is, it should have done so, but the culture at the company changed and travel restrictions became an end unto themselves.

In my last year at Delphi, this culture of penury intensified dramatically as the company sold off yet another division and the new executive management, which took over in the early Spring, made it a priority to cut costs in general and personnel in particular.
Pros
Competitive salary and benefits, interesting work, good colleagues
Cons
Bureaucratic; real promotions generally only for the few.
Enriching, exciting, productive and innovative place to work!
Project Management Intern - Senior Status (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 21, 2015
The first thing you notice about Delphi is their open friendly culture. They are always available to provide help and gives a lot of focus towards work-life balance as well. My internship gave me the opportunity to work with people from Europe and North America, and everywhere the culture is consistent.

Every other week an event will be hosted, either by the HRs or any person who is interested to host an event. There was a lip sync rap battle, lunch and learn events, speakers from different industries, and many other networking events. On the last, the company hosted a bowling event for all the interns.

The work was great. Though the internship was only for 3 months, one gets the opportunity to contribute on all fronts and truly feel an integral part of the company. I loved every aspect of my internship
Pros
Work-life balance, friendly open culture, lot of networking and fun events and many more
Cons
Salads are costly!
Horrible Place
Fan Clutch Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHMarch 19, 2016
It did not take long to figure out the place was going under. Management was clueless. Too big to fail pervaded the culture.
Delphi on the rise
PLM Technical PM and Business Analysis (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIFebruary 17, 2016
Delphi has been going through multiple transformations and in all of the versions the major issue has been the exercise of common. Still there are differences from division to division that in occasions are really needed but in others avoiding customization and deviations could save money.
Pros
Veterans in each area of the enterprise keep the culture alive
Cons
New hires needs to understand Delphi history to understand the red tape in some areas, and work in expedite processes
Shark Tank
Electrical Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 26, 2016
With Delphi Automotive, you have to understand the history to understand the culture. This is the company that used to be Delco and were the sole exclusive supplier of electronics and wiring harnesses to GM for decades before their spinoff in and around the late 1990's. They went from 12,000 strong down to 1,100 people at present day numbers. This means that there have been several hard and difficult staff reductions over the years and so the only people that remain are either the best or most ruthless of what they started with. If you are lucky to get in here, be prepared to be on the bleeding edge of Automotive technology. Also be prepared to work your rear end off. This is not a place for the weak or lazy. But it is very interesting work and looks good on the resume.
Pros
Intense, high-tech and lots of things to learn here
Cons
Job security is iffy at best, low margins=high expectations
Fun environment with promotion opportunities. Well staffed with reasonable expectations and highly educated staff.
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 27, 2015
People were happy with their jobs and were rewarded for positive performance through advancement opportunities. Playful environment. Continuity amongst employees and between employees and management. Very well compensated. Staffed with top engineers in the world, many with educations from MIT which presented many learning opportunities.
Pros
Compensation and benefits package. Fun, yet respectful environment
Nice stepping ground
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Henrietta, NYApril 27, 2016
For career starters (and gear heads alike) it's a nice stepping ground, a lot of exposure to a variety of automotive R&D processes, and a lot of very seasoned individuals to learn from. However there is a few generation gaps as the corporation has failed to maintain resources and staff in the 90s and 2000s. People are very welcoming in the facility, however many have histories with why they are still where they are in the corporation (re: lack of growth, pension removed/decline in benefits along with stagnant pay after the first 3/4 years). Management fails to manage, either do not care any more due to the above reasons, or fail to know how to manage by just supervising, and not proving any support.

Corporately it is a very top heavy organization with a plethora of high level VPs (used to be a handful, now several dozen to hundreds), and low population of worker bees.
Pros
Cafeteria has a goregous view
Cons
Lack of growth, no training (lack of funds for)
The people make it a fun workplace.
Validation and Test Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 14, 2016
A typical day at work includes meeting with customers/team members, writing test plans, designing and implementing test equipment, setting up tests, writing test reports, etc.

Through this job I have improved my programming skills with many languages, as well as test automation with NI products including Labview and TestStand. I have also improved my communication and technical writing skills.

My direct management is very good and does what it takes to make sure we can do our jobs to the fullest extent, but there seems to be a disconnect with upper management in the company and the lower "worker bees".

The co-workers make the job very enjoyable and make the day go by quicker.

The hardest part of the job is the long hours required to meet hard deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a test setup work flawlessly for the first time after working many hours to design/implement the setup.
Pros
Good work environment, good pay
Cons
Poor upper management, not the best benefits
My thirty three years of working at Delphi was a great learning experience.
Level 4 Machine Operator/ Ouality/Service/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MSJuly 20, 2015
Working for Delphi was a great experience for me. I enjoyed working at Delphi because every day I had an opportunity to learned something new. It was a place of continuous learning, from how to operate new equipment, read a blueprint, driving forklift to doing a quality check on a new start up part and etc.
a typical day was working together with co-workers management and the support teams to get the job done. The hardest part of the day for me was having to call it a day before a project was finished. The most enjoyable part of the day was learning something new and seeing a project completed.
Pros
The company always prepared Thanksgiving Dinner for the employees.
Cons
Working long hours.
Eqaul Oppertunity
Assembly Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYSeptember 16, 2015
To secure a Long term career position in a high growth company with considerable advancement opportunities.
Ability to maintain and operate construction equipment sites
Familiarity with controlling traffic on construction sites
Proficient in installing sewer and drain pipes and digging holes and trenches
Clean construction site in order to prepare it for construction processes
Pros
Overtime, Great Benifits
Cons
Turnover Rate
This was a very good well organized organization.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 17, 2016
I would have liked to have careered here if possible. It was a fair unionized place to work that improved my skill set. This company was unionized as a UAW facility. The re pore that I had established with union leadership and employees was good. They showed me a lot of respect because of my leadership and team work skills. Mostly the all spoke of my fairness and respect towards everyone.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
being a contract employee at the time that this dividion of GM was in trouble
Very stressfull work environment.
Cockpit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 28, 2015
I would never consider working at Delphi again. The hours were long and the work was extremely physically and mentally stressful. Management threatened to fire workers whenever there was a problem with production.
Pros
Pretty good pay.
Cons
Long hours. Unfriendly environment. Unprofessional management.
Supervisor treated us like adults and trusted us to get our jobs done on our own.
Dimensional Metrologist / Quality (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 2, 2016
Really enjoyed the years spent at Delphi. I was sorry they decided to offer us buy-outs and early retirements. If I had been able to keep working there I would be retiring soon. Or maybe still working because I really enjoyed my job.
Pros
I had a wide variety of experience there which has paid of on my current job a lot.
Cons
The job ended before I could get my 30years in.
Everall a good place to work.
Senior Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MiOctober 5, 2015
Overall a good place to work with goos compensation and benifits. Biggest issue is no commitment to there people. Don't be lulleled into believing you have job security.
Pros
Great Resources
Cons
No job security
best place ever
Assembly Line Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 8, 2016
wish they had not of sold out to a new company because it was a really cool place to work.I use to work at the battery plant years ago and then it closed so they opened up a new palce in nkc and it was cool very flexible very friendly and very understanding. I kind of miss the place a bit.
Pros
everything
Cons
closed
Routine factory life
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 5, 2016
Come in start machines. Start running parts and keep the machine going. Do quality checks three times a day. Machines ran them selves pretty much our job was to keep them up and running.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Very routine
A well managed company with little waste.
Engineering Technician Sr./Quality Technician Sr (Former Employee) –  Frederick, COApril 16, 2016
An efficient company with functional tiers of management. Everyone collaborated to get the job done. I learned how to write better procedures and work on a variety of product. Was sent to Mitutoyo CMM training facility.
Pros
Fun work place
Cons
No promotions available for subordinates.
Enjoyable work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIAugust 19, 2015
I Input data into an international database also managed and organized all records of customer interactions and transactions. I learned how to successfully develop strategic methods for proficient work performance. Management always created a positive environment by speaking positive to staff and treated all with respect. Co-workers worked together to meet required deadlines for the success of the company as a whole. The hardest part of my job was preparing for the closer in my work area. As a team, we stayed positive to the very last day. The most enjoyable part of my job was the staff and management I worked with. Together we accomplished many deadlines in a timely manner due to our awesome teamwork.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Delphi Automotive. Our community is ready to answer.

Delphi Automotive Reviews by Location