Delta State University Employee Reviews

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSFebruary 18, 2017
As a Grad.Asst. at the Academic Affairs of Delta State Uni. I help in coordination of office activities to support those of other administrative areas
Low pressure.
Assistant Professor of Geography (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJanuary 4, 2017
When I was there decades ago there was little emphasis on professional development and the atmosphere was very laid back. The administration, however, were enamored with ceremony.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Much decorum
Great people, great work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSOctober 4, 2016
Working at DSU was one of the best jobs I've had. The people I worked with were all passionate about their jobs, and they were passionate about helping others. This made my job a breeze, as I am also happy to help others.
Pros
Compensation, people, environment
Cons
Great faculty, staff, and students. Laid back environment.
Student Body Vice President (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSSeptember 13, 2016
A few daily duties included conflict-resolution, policy interpretation and revision, and committee management. Team leadership and event planning are integral parts of the job as well. As Vice President, I preside over Student Senate, which poses challenges in regard to passing bills. Student Government is advised by a staff member of Delta State University and is a helpful liaison between the administration and students. Representing the best interest of the student body is challenging, yet rewarding. Being able to see real changes being made on campus is the most rewarding part of this position.
Pros
Invitations to exclusive events, frequent correspondence with the university president and his staff, unique opportunities
Cons
Change takes time, frequent student complaints, faculty/staff and student differing opinions
Great place to work for Cleveland, MS
Senior Secretary to the Registrar (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJuly 18, 2016
Great staff and it is a great environment to work. The pay not so great. It is 1 of the top employers in the Cleveland, MS so that is an advantage, if you are able to work for DSU. We do get some holiday breaks like most colleges in universities, so that is a plus. We are off for about 2 weeks at Christmas, and we get all Federal Reserved Holidays.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Pay
Easy and fun experience around great co-workers and different sports
Internship (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSDecember 16, 2015
Depends on the day or the event that is going on that day. once I make it to work I usually have few photos to rename and edit before posting them in back of the School website. Setup up for game days whether soccer, football, basketball, etc. also edit highlight videos and posting them on social media. we have to manage our time when we have more than one event at the same day. co-workers are helpful and we always find a way to cover everything and help each other. hardest part about the job is staying all day working different events and going from one to another. but the most enjoyable part about the job is being around sport and thats what I love the most.
Greatness
ASSISTANT FOOTBALL COACH (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSDecember 16, 2015
Great place of employment in Mississippi. However, we're one big Family here at Delta State University. The academics and sports staff members has a real good relationship. We have the same
goal(s) for the students that attend DSU.
Effective and best place for a Student Worker to work at DSU
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSOctober 27, 2015
I enjoyed everything about Student Business Services at Delta State University. I enjoyed everyday of work. I gained much experience working within the diversity of SBS. My co-workers/bosses were the most loving people. I could never complain about them. When I was instructed to do something, they made sure I thoroughly understood what was asked of me. Nothing was hard about the job.
Pros
The experience.
Cons
There aren't any cons.
great teachers!
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSSeptember 21, 2015
I loved Delta State. Great teachers and faculty. They're very helpful and want their interns to succeed. They are always there to lend a helping hand
Productive and fun workplace
The Delta Statement (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSSeptember 12, 2015
I was the News Editor at the paper and I really enjoyed my time while I was on staff. I learned a lot of skills like time management and the process of editing print while at this job. I interviewed people and covered many interesting events on campus and in the community of Cleveland.
Pros
meeting people in the community
Cons
no healthcare
Nice place to work and go to school
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJuly 5, 2015
a typical work day is hard work and long hours of standing. the supervisor is not a great supervisor at all. anything that you talk to him about in private he, he always go back and tell other employees about what was said in private. I read a quote but i don't have a source from it. "A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation". I think that this is a really great quote. Bad management should not be allowed in a work place.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Supervisor tells everyons business
Switchboard Operator
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJune 29, 2015
Answering the phones transferring the calls to the direct line be respectful and professional at all times. Make sure that the callers are taking care of and being happy.
Pros
Answering the phones, hectic callers
Cons
No company around
Productive, fun to work for
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSMay 28, 2015
My job was very fun and commendable. I enjoyed working with the public and being a multi-tasker. The most important thing about the particular position I was able to help people and provide services that would better help their physical lives. I also helped my co-workers whenever my help was needed. For the most part, I helped anyway whether they needed the help or not.
Excellent way to earn a Master's Degree.
Graduate Assistant / Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSMay 26, 2015
My assistant-ship with the outdoor program made my master's degree possible and was an excellent work experience. I was responsible for a wide variety of small and large scale events that have prepared me to work under pressure successfully.
Pros
Helped with tuition, Outdoor trips
Cons
Low Pay
Delta State UNiversity
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MSMay 11, 2015
Loved working there. They were always nice and made me feel comfortable. I met many new friends while working there and it was always nice to be able to do school work while I was there.
Pros
They were flexible with your schedule.
okay place to work
Assist. Prof. (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSFebruary 17, 2015
The people are friendly, for the most part.

If you like small towns in the Mississippi Delta, this is your place.

The university faces serious budget constraints. This is associated with a lack of resources, outdated facilities, and low pay.
Productive and learning environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSOctober 31, 2014
A typical day included administrative tasks, date entry, research, typing reports, and assisting supervisors with assignments. I learned about academic research, and economics and community statistical data/analysis. My supervisor were very knowledgeable about each project and resourceful. My coworkers were team prayer and fun to work with. The hardest part was finding exactly what was need from academic research that related to project. I enjoyed learning from professors and other peers.
Family Oriented University
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJuly 18, 2014
This is a great place to work. The people are friendly and the students are respectful. Cleveland is also a nice place to raise a family.
Pros
The people are friendly and welcoming.
Cons
Mosquitoes
Going through re-structuring of leadership
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJuly 16, 2014
I think it's going to be much better after the restructuring of leadership. We have a lot of new upper management. I enjoy the flexibility of the job but the compensation could be a lot better.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Compensation
My job title
Patrolman (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJune 16, 2014
The hardest part of the job is completing without talking. Somethingd gotten harder than others
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Delta State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3