Delta State University Employee Reviews

great landscaping jobs with plenty of opportunities to advance
Maintenance Grounds Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  cleveland, msNovember 10, 2017
- 8 hour shift of mostly mowing and landscaping
-how to use a forklift, backhoe, boom truck
-I had a great manager that really supported me
- good crew of guys. we all worked hard
- staying busy in the winter time was the hardest and the most enjoyable part was being outside everyday
Pros
free classes for employees to further education
Hardworking but fun place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSSeptember 6, 2017
The typical day at work for me would to do a lot of paper work and planning. I would plan fitness programs and assessments for my client daily. I would personal train clients in the gym helping them improve their cardiovascular endurance, flexibility,and muscular strength and endurance. I also would go be a Physical education instructor at a highschool. I would teach the kids the importance of physical education but also help them have fun. The hardest part of the job would be managing when I was going to get my lunch break in because I had so many clients to workout. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people reach their goals and training my clients. I like to see others proud of what they accomplished. The workplace culture for me would vary because I switched from setting to setting one minute I would be in a fitness center, elementary school gym, basketball gym desk. Working here I had to be honest, and have integrity. Everyone had their own personalities so I had to adapt to every situation I was in. If whoever was in charge wanted me to do something I would do it as soon as possible. Different Professors at Delta State would tell me different task I would have to do and even the principal at the elementary school would tell me different things to do. I had to balanced all of my task to be successful. Management was extremely important.
Pros
Learned and gain experience.
Cons
limited lunch breaks
Growth Potential
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSAugust 9, 2017
It has been some years since my employment at Delta State University. The school has made major changes since my employment. Nevertheless, the staff and friendly continue to be friendly and progressive minded.
Work is the most fun you'll have
Women's Soccer Goalkeeper Coach (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJuly 3, 2017
Delta State is in the middle of nowhere and you will be suffocated by the boredom of it all. With that said, the town is nice and the people are the only ray of sunshine you will see.
terrible
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJune 13, 2017
Hiring is based on race. Advancement is very racially biased. Minorities are strategically placed and given inferior positions. Would not reccommend
Pros
great benefits
Cons
horrible pay scale
Very Productive, caring, and exciting
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSMay 11, 2017
I enjoyed every moment working here. The people were nice, the events were great! Everything was handled professionally and promptly. Couldn't wait to get a phone call telling me I was needed.
Pros
Consistant work
Cons
Minimum Wage
Productive and lot of work
America Reads Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSApril 27, 2017
My review on this job was very stressful but excited to help kid with there education experience with help with their reading and math skill. The kids were hard at first but with the help of the teacher and understand they got to know the real me.
Pros
Pull up there grades in class
Cons
Making sure they get what they need
Great learning experience
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSMarch 12, 2017
Enjoyable time with students during pediatric clinical rotations. Senior staff provides excellent support. Opportunity for growth in the higher learning system.
Pros
support
good job
faculty, and residents, often (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSFebruary 21, 2017
no complaints other than fellow resident assistants who would slack from time to time. Fun,exciting way to meet lots of people.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSFebruary 18, 2017
As a Grad.Asst. at the Academic Affairs of Delta State Uni. I help in coordination of office activities to support those of other administrative areas
Low pressure.
Assistant Professor of Geography (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJanuary 4, 2017
When I was there decades ago there was little emphasis on professional development and the atmosphere was very laid back. The administration, however, were enamored with ceremony.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Much decorum
Great people, great work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSOctober 4, 2016
Working at DSU was one of the best jobs I've had. The people I worked with were all passionate about their jobs, and they were passionate about helping others. This made my job a breeze, as I am also happy to help others.
Pros
Compensation, people, environment
Cons
Great faculty, staff, and students. Laid back environment.
Student Body Vice President (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSSeptember 13, 2016
A few daily duties included conflict-resolution, policy interpretation and revision, and committee management. Team leadership and event planning are integral parts of the job as well. As Vice President, I preside over Student Senate, which poses challenges in regard to passing bills. Student Government is advised by a staff member of Delta State University and is a helpful liaison between the administration and students. Representing the best interest of the student body is challenging, yet rewarding. Being able to see real changes being made on campus is the most rewarding part of this position.
Pros
Invitations to exclusive events, frequent correspondence with the university president and his staff, unique opportunities
Cons
Change takes time, frequent student complaints, faculty/staff and student differing opinions
Great place to work for Cleveland, MS
Senior Secretary to the Registrar (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJuly 18, 2016
Great staff and it is a great environment to work. The pay not so great. It is 1 of the top employers in the Cleveland, MS so that is an advantage, if you are able to work for DSU. We do get some holiday breaks like most colleges in universities, so that is a plus. We are off for about 2 weeks at Christmas, and we get all Federal Reserved Holidays.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Pay
Easy and fun experience around great co-workers and different sports
Internship (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSDecember 16, 2015
Depends on the day or the event that is going on that day. once I make it to work I usually have few photos to rename and edit before posting them in back of the School website. Setup up for game days whether soccer, football, basketball, etc. also edit highlight videos and posting them on social media. we have to manage our time when we have more than one event at the same day. co-workers are helpful and we always find a way to cover everything and help each other. hardest part about the job is staying all day working different events and going from one to another. but the most enjoyable part about the job is being around sport and thats what I love the most.
Greatness
ASSISTANT FOOTBALL COACH (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSDecember 16, 2015
Great place of employment in Mississippi. However, we're one big Family here at Delta State University. The academics and sports staff members has a real good relationship. We have the same
goal(s) for the students that attend DSU.
Effective and best place for a Student Worker to work at DSU
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSOctober 27, 2015
I enjoyed everything about Student Business Services at Delta State University. I enjoyed everyday of work. I gained much experience working within the diversity of SBS. My co-workers/bosses were the most loving people. I could never complain about them. When I was instructed to do something, they made sure I thoroughly understood what was asked of me. Nothing was hard about the job.
Pros
The experience.
Cons
There aren't any cons.
great teachers!
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSSeptember 21, 2015
I loved Delta State. Great teachers and faculty. They're very helpful and want their interns to succeed. They are always there to lend a helping hand
Productive and fun workplace
The Delta Statement (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSSeptember 12, 2015
I was the News Editor at the paper and I really enjoyed my time while I was on staff. I learned a lot of skills like time management and the process of editing print while at this job. I interviewed people and covered many interesting events on campus and in the community of Cleveland.
Pros
meeting people in the community
Cons
no healthcare
Nice place to work and go to school
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJuly 5, 2015
a typical work day is hard work and long hours of standing. the supervisor is not a great supervisor at all. anything that you talk to him about in private he, he always go back and tell other employees about what was said in private. I read a quote but i don't have a source from it. "A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation". I think that this is a really great quote. Bad management should not be allowed in a work place.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Supervisor tells everyons business