Demand Media Studios

Demand Media Studios Employee Reviews in United States

Flexibility
Style & Beauty Writer (Current Employee) –  New YorkJuly 5, 2015
My day works when I work. I pick my articles online and write at my leisure. this job has really improved my writing skills and has giving me a glimpse of what the professional writing world is like. My only challenges are completing my revisions and not talking the editors critiques personally.
Pros
working from home
Cons
revisions
Strange arrangement
Freelance Science and Health Writer (Former Employee) –  Online - Work anywhereFebruary 9, 2015
As a writer, I can never tell what the editors are looking for. Sometimes, their suggestions make a lot of sense and other times they seem very arbitrary. It is also a lot of work for $30 an article. I suppose it gets better as you write more and get used to the style. Perhaps if I had stuck with it long enough I might have become more efficient. Another issue I had with it is that sometimes the topic choices are incredibly bizarre and seem to be based on nearly nonsensical Google searches.
Pros
can work whenever you want, as much or as little.
Cons
low pay, strange topics
Moderate work environment that helps enhance job skills and experience
Freelance Web Content Writer (Current Employee) –  OnlineApril 28, 2014
A typical work day unfolds with intense research and writing to produce professional articles according to strict rules and guidelines.

I am constantly learning to present only pertinent information and to do so in a structured manner.

Management consists mostly of copy-editors who are usually helpful in guiding me to produce my best work.

The hardest part of the job is to present a flawless article which will not be sent back for a rewrite.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the writing aspect, as it is a natural talent, and I am passionate about influencing readers through my articles.
Fun and productive online workplace
Filmmaker/Producer/Video Editor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2014
A typical work day would include purchasing costumes, setting up studio including: lighting, sound, camera, and talent. This would also depend on the day but video editing would be the majority of the time taken in a day.
Pros
work on my pace basis
Cons
no benefits
Fun, Professional and Easy
Writer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2013
The Management staff at Demand Media Studios in incredibly thorough with the hiring and advancement process. Also, they are very helpful in getting writers acclimated to the system. You work on your own time, so it is very convenient.
Pros
you work on your own time, so it is very convenient.
Cons
small pay
Good way to make some extra money in your spare time.
Oustide sales and marketing (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 12, 2013
A friend of mine set me up with Demand Media Studios. Would be very hard to make it a full time job if you have to pay any bills but it is a great way to make some extra money if you have the talent for the job. A brief description would be you go on YouTube, Linkedin, and other sites and try to find talent that is specific to their field and offer them the opportunity to present videos for eHow and Livestrong. If you have some spare time and have an eye for people who are good on camera it is a great way to make extra money. Downfalls would be that the pay is not great and the filmmaker team you have to submit the projects to are a pain and a little picky when it comes to shooting locations. Also they do not pay their talent so you have to convince people that it is worth it for the promotional aspect of being on their websites.
Pros
fun, no boss, free time job
Cons
below average pay, pain in the butt filmmaker team.
Keep changing the way they pay and make assignments
Freelance writer (Former Employee) –  Work from homeMay 14, 2013
This company was easy to write for, once an application is approved. That is, in the beginning this is how it was - about two years ago. They have good writer resources, clear guidelines, an easy-ti-use website and forums for writers. However, they changed their method of pay and giving assignments, without any warning. Suddenly they required a new application for every type of writing - business, lifestyle, etc. and a lot of writers, like myself, said on the forums that they weren't accepted, even though we'd been writing for them for years. My work has appeared on well-known sites, and suddenly it's not good enough. The pay also went down drastically. It has gotten to the point that they have high expectations for which they will pay $15. When I applied I had no idea the pay had dropped so much. If you're interested, go ahead and apply, but don't set your expectations too high.
Pros
work from home, did have a good set up
Cons
low pay
Great flexible hours
Health and Nutrition Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJanuary 27, 2013
More topics are needed. Topics dwindled over time. Flexibility was great.
Great to work from home, but hard to stay on staff
Writer (Former Employee) –  OnlineNovember 29, 2011
This is a great job to start out as a freelance writer, but the company has fluctuating standards that are not applicable to both the writing staff and the copy editing staff. The article submission process was pretty straight forward, but did not give much lenience if a copy editor turned one down.
Pros
work from home, flexible schedule, no quotas
Cons
inconsistent standards, fluctuating requirements

Comment – April 18, 2013

They pay almost nothing.