Democracy Prep Public Schools Employee Reviews

Highly Productive atmosphere, Friendly faces.
Alumni Facilities Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
For an Intern, the day is comprised of much more smaller tedious task than a teachers day. Teachers work towards a similar end goal,Us Interns help by providing the foundation work such as making sure the professionals at work have no excuse. From working under Democracy Prep, I have gained the ability to do work "Just because." No matter how many task they pile in front of me, they will all share the same fate: Completion. Management-wise, Democracy Prep is very organized, complete with an human resource team, a Finance Team, A Data Team and even a Alum Team. I look up to my co-workers because they are on similar walks of life, where as they are around my age and looking for work to develop themselves. The hardest part may be the hours because we have to be up earlier than school starts and later than school ends. The most enjoyable part is the "comparison factor." I like to compare the things I do to the games I play, for example the Democracy Prep network is like the USS Normandy from Mass Effect, Of course i'm Commander Shepherd and we all have an aligned path to save the youth of America with Education. The best part no doubt is the end of the day when we rest from running around in constant motion.
Pros
Yes, catered lunches, Holiday Bashes, Democracy Prep Outer-wear and other gear.
Cons
no benefits for interns
Teachers: Avoid this place like the plague
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYDecember 29, 2016
Clueless administrators looking to exploit new teachers desperate to teach in New York City. Low pay, long hours, and a focus on controlling students through fear rather than education. Anyone considering working for this school, you have been warned.
Pros
Cons
a police state interested in teaching students through fear
Wonderful Experience, Opportunities for Growth
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
Democracy Prep has been an awesome experience. Lots of professional development, and my supervisor has been amazing. Everyone here is extremely hardworking, and while it's not the easiest job, I've thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. DP works really hard for the students it serves, many of whom are attending and succeeding in highly competitive schools, including Ivy Leagues! Democracy Prep is not for the faint of heart, but more for those who are looking for the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of its students.
Pros
Rewarding work, great benefits, plenty of vacation days, tons of professional development, hardworking and intelligent colleagues
Simply Horrible
Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
The finance dept has people at the helm who look absolutely miserable. They look like they hate their jobs as well they lack professionalism and respect. Communication is all around poor since one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Paying bills feels more like accounts receivable than accounts payable since you'll find yourself chasing employees for their supporting documents for outstanding invoices. It's a mess. Even messier when it's handling the finances for nine schools. Two people left before I joined and one left the week I started. That's never a good sign. It seems to be a revolving door in other areas as well from what I've witnessed. The neighborhood is horrible and felt unsafe. The two people who interviewed me barely spoke in two interviews and gave the silent treatment while working there. Simply abusive and dysfunctional. Avoid this place at all cost.
Pros
Free coffee if you drink coffee
Cons
No parking anywhere, neighborhood felt unsafe, no good places to go to lunch, dismal work environment
Limiting and Poorly Managed
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2015
The admistrative staff is thoroughly unqualified for their positions. Because of this, morale is low, teachers are frustrated, and the focus isn't on the students. Teachers are overworked, suffering from 10-11 work days and mandatory Saturday work. Teachers are held responsible for administrative mishaps.
Pros
Higher than average starting salary
Cons
10-11 hour work days, low work place morale, disorganized management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Democracy Prep Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5