Denny's Employee Reviews

Found 2,721 reviews matching the search
Good place to begin, good place to leave after you've gotten your experience.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mokena, ILOctober 25, 2016
I worked 14 hour days here often. Trained people for free, new employees getting paid more than me while I train them how to hold a knife. We got new owners and they took away all the benefits from any employee under supervisor. I was weeks away from earning my paid vacation and they said no one could have paid vacation anymore if they weren't a supervisor or up. Basically gave them the finger and quit on a concert night after I asked for a raise and they still offered me less than the rookies were making. It was a great work experience but there was no consistency and I became the best way too fast considering some of them were there for 22 years. No one cared at all. You would have to work here to understand.
Pros
Good place to start as a cook or server.
Cons
No benefits, long hours, schedule not flexible, open 24 hours 365 days a year, horrible management and they hire anyone.
Positive Challenging workplace that encouraged growth.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 24, 2016
I enjoyed working for a 100 year old Company. Our morning sales meeting would pump everyone up and create the positive environment needed to overcome the challenges of sales. Door to door sales was competitive and rewarding as the commissions were great. Management always had our best in mind and encouraged us to keep pushing even when the going gets tough. There was amazing tactful sales training weekly and much opportunity for promotion. The people that I worked with here were more like family than co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the Arizona heat and the most enjoyable was seeing my sales team exceed their goals. I enjoy helping other people achieve their goals and seeing that I had played a part in their success.
Pros
Free Vacation Bonuses
Cons
Family - Work life unbalanced
Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 18, 2016
I like Dennys as a teenager it taught me how to greet and meet people.Before Dennys I was shy didnt really know how to be open to people but about 2 months in I was a more confident person.I learned how to balance food on one hand which was real neat.Management was fair they were fairly young but energetic and was always willing to work.Co-workers was all very well-mannered hard workers.Hardest part is dealing with rude customers.Most enjoyable was knowing that you can make as much tips as you want if you come in and work hard.
Pros
Discounts, Long lunchbreaks
Cons
No real good benefits
Running a 24/7 restaurant.
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAJune 27, 2016
Doing the books from prior days work. Check the schedule, make deposits, open the bar for the day. Preparing the P&L's for the week and/or months end. Ordering product we need for the customers, so when they order their food they can get what they expect in product. Interview potential employees. Make sure that all employees working that day, are in proper uniform and they are giving great customer service to each and every customer. My day is fulfilled if I can just show one employee some thing new each and every day. The hardest part of this job is keeping my employees on track and learning new ways suggestive sell our product. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers, and giving great customer service.
Pros
Being able to take charge of any situation, and to be able to fix any problems may they arise.
Cons
No insurance for employees, no raises for management.
Great Job, Great People
Server (Former Employee) –  Orange City, FL 32763June 13, 2016
I truly enjoyed working at Denny's. I found that I loved all of the other employees i was working with, the pay was decent, the management was great, and i never had problems with the position at all.
The reason I left this job was because of moving. This was my first job since moving to Florida and found that Orange City was not the right place for me to be living. So I eventually made it over here to Port Orange and and much happier.
Pros
management was amazing, work life was fun, people were great.
Cons
no benefits, pay could have been higher.
Productive and great place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Calumet City, ILAugust 8, 2016
Love the teamwork in this place. Very organized and fast paced type of business. All employees did their best to please our guest. My coworkers were like family. My management was on top of us about doing a great job so you were proud of yourself when you were praised for doing a great job.
Pros
Great customer's
Cons
Was a long commute but still worth it
great place to work when you are young
Server (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXNovember 27, 2016
I began to work at the age of 18 it was easy and fast money. There weren't many benefits and sometimes the schedules were pretty harsh. The location of the restaurant I was at brought a lot of people all over the world and I got to make new friends as well. The management changed and that was the reason I decided to get out. Things were becoming uncomfortable and I was not inspired any more.
Pros
Great vibe of people working and great food for affordable price
Cons
management
Great Restaurant to work for in Medford
Server/Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Medford, OROctober 2, 2016
Typical day, get here at 5:45a.m. go over day dots make floor plan get cash registers ready for the day. Set up restaurant for morning shift, wait on customers, cash them out, team player. Learned a lot as a supervisor. Management was amazing , loved all my co-works hardest part was moving and leaving my job. Enjoyable, my co-workers and working with people.
Pros
great team
Cons
leaving the company and no benefits
Exciting and fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 14, 2016
Greeting customers, seating and taking orders, suggesting the special for that day, don't rush the customer, let them call you when ready, just be attentive to them, Management worked with you to satisfy the customer, in this business its about your tips and we were all there to make money.... the hardest part is when a customer was not satisfied and you could not make them happy at all, no tips, the most enjoyable part is when they leave with a full stomach and leave you a really nice tip.
Pros
We have spiffs and incentives daily to win free meal, days off, etc
Cons
No benefits
Busy place and tips are good
Server (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MINovember 2, 2016
I like working here but would like a career in the dental field. Many guests are regulars and I enjoy seeing them each day. I like to get to know their names and personal preferences so they feel welcome.
Pros
good money, nice coworkers, perfect schedule for my lifestyle
Cons
no benefits offered, strenuous work
Can make a decent living working less hours
Manager, Waiter, Cook (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAOctober 19, 2016
It is a good place to work if you don't have any children, and not a great need for money. If you are a people person work will be a bit easier. However there are no benefits and low food prices leads to under staffing and overwhelming, often impatient crowds.
Pros
work hours
Cons
security, advancement, benefits
large workload with out any benefits or advancement
Cook (Current Employee) –  Colorado springs 80916August 10, 2016
Dead end. The company has extreme expectations without advancement or even slightly decent benefits. Never felt that I could completely finish my job due to unlogical scheduling. Not all employees are held up to the same expectations or standards.
Pros
learnt a lot of skills to carry on
Cons
terrible environment and no advancement or benefits
Advantageous with so much more to learn
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Chester, VANovember 8, 2016
Working here was a challenge, being around so many different management personalities,training a staff of varied ages on how to be cohesive and determining who possesses the strongest work ethics to lead a team were a few of the difficulties establishing myself as a leader, definitely something new and exacting. I was taught to always be prepared, because no one day is the same as the next. To be in constant contact with other store leaders and valued customers, knowledge was something you always came across, that being one of the most enjoyable parts to the job, along side flawless execution of a game plan. All in all, management is where I want to be.
Fun workplace where you meet and interact with many people.
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIOctober 11, 2016
Typical work day consist of washing dishes using the 3 compartment sink and dishwasher, sweeping, mopping, sanitizing and keeping restrooms and dining area clean at all times. Assisting servers and cooks whenever there is help needed. I have learned how to multi-task and able to help whenever help was needed whether it was busting tables, serving, hosting or on the line in the kitchen. Management was awesome, always helped and motivate the team to do better. My co-workers was also great and always worked as a team. The hardest part was seeing the customer unhappy. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and seeing a smile on their face when they are satisfied with the great customer service and food they received from our team.
Started off as a nice place to work but over time things just fell apart
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXSeptember 17, 2016
When i first worked theres it was a nice place to work .starting pay was good . i knew a couole people so it layed out smooth. Of course i had a couple problems at the job but i dealt with it. But iver this past month things just went down hill.
Pros
Free lunch. Overtime.
Cons
No benefits. No raises.
Demanding job with poor pay and recognition
Host (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CASeptember 15, 2016
Hungry people can be very demanding and impatient, asking me, often times rudely, questions about their food of which I have no control or knowledge over. Working with many rude people made the job unrewarding. Co-workers and managers were very friendly and fun. Helping the servers never went unappreciated and made the day bearable. Although I admired the owner's enthusiasm for service, he was a poor businessman and employer that ultimately led to the restaurant's closure. Restaurant needed many repairs and paychecks often bounced. The restaurant has since been remodeled and is now under new ownership. Working here, I learned to do any job, whether it is ideal or not, to the best of one's abilities.
Pros
Cashier experience, interpersonal experience, good staff
Cons
Poor management, rude customers, bouncing paychecks, sometimes no breaks
great place to work, fun and never a dull moment
Busser/Cook/Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 17, 2016
A typical day is full of fun and never boring customers.
Learned a lot of my customer service skills and how to multitask in a extreme levels.
Management is by far the best, very supportive, helpful and great at training
Co-workers always willing to help out and teach when necessary
The hardest part of the job will begetting use to skipping to the beat but the team is always great with helping you in that
The most enjoyable part is the regular customers that you will get to know.
Pros
never a dull moment and good tips
Cons
will forget about breaks do to the fun
Amazing place to meet bew people. Management on the other hand is a big joke. Only there to take care of themselves.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZAugust 17, 2016
The business is a great place and the workers are wonderful people when they want to actually work. The manager and management only care about themselves and there promotions. They do not check there food, they do not follow there own guidelines.
Good people , Great place to work and / or just enjoy a meal
Hourly Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 9, 2016
Great fun place ... Guess that's why I spend more time there than I do at home . Good advancement opportunities as well. Great loyal customers ... Even though I moved into management , I still have regulars that only request me. Make you feel good ... Feel appreciated.
Pros
Free manager meals
Cons
Insurance high
family style atosphere
Opening/Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 9, 2016
Great place to work at. friendly people to work with everybody work together as team the shifts went fast successfully resolving any customer complaints.
Pros
health benifits
Cons
worked long hours

2.9