Denso Manufacturing Employee Reviews

Getting Hired in was the BIGGEST mistake of my life thus far!
Production associate (Current Employee) –  michiganNovember 13, 2012
I have worked at Denso for two years. I have been a 'hired in" associate for over a year. Staying at Denso is the biggest mistake I have ever made. I was treated horribly as a temporary. (which they all are) The area I work in is NOTORIOUS for training temps on one or two stations and keeping them at those stations day in and day out.. Until they either quit or get hired. I was at the same station for 3 months straight.I literally BEGGED to be trained somewhere else, then eventually, had my employment agency transfer me to another department. Getting hired into Denso means completely kissing your life GOODBYE. New hires are forced to stay on 2nd shift for up to 7 years. The overtime makes it IMPOSSIBLE to do much of anything else. (Ive dropped out of school twice). You can count on 10-12 hour days during the week and usually at least two weekends a month, (usually more.) You can also count on NEVER being told what you will be working until you actually work it. Denso is very VAGUE on all answers to any questions. In fact, they haven't updated their employee handbook since 2007! But they have changed multiple policies since then. They claim it is available on the company website, but it is not. They recently lowered their new starting wage rate to 13$ an hour. That was really the ONLY good thing Denso had going for them, was the pay. There is NO WAY I would stay at this company for 13$. The working conditions are dirty and completely miserable, especially in the summer. People passing out from heat exhaustion is a Daily thing in July-August. Management is a joke. Promotions are  more... not given equally, and often times, people with no experience are promoted and turn out to be worthless team and sub leaders. Management is also not held accountable for treating their employees with respect and acting professional. They also now require that you use 5 of your 10 vacation days (new hires receive 10, veterans of denso receive more) during their July shutdown periods. BUT, you cant plan ahead with those because as usual, the answers of what and when each line is shutting down is of course VAGUE. 5 vacation days will not go far with all the overtime you are REQUIRED to work. I hope anyone considering a job here thinks about this post and asks more questions. I wish I knew what I was in for at this company. I have been looking for a new job for months (fingers crossed) . If you are willing to have no life at all and love overtime this is the place for you. If you have dreams or goals of doing ANYTHING ELSE with your life then please do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY FROM DENSO!!!  less
Pros
overtime if you enjoy it
Cons
horrible managment, miserable working conditions, company is going downhill.
Job Functions
Operator Toyota Potting (Former Employee) –  Athens,TNJanuary 5, 2015
I was required to keep daily records of progress before, during and after shift and if any maintenance was required that potting operators could not fix themselves. I changed, built, and disassembled large and small measuring pumps, heated hoses, short hose, ball valves, nozzle’s, & clear line. I did tank changes every 2 1/2hrs for a de-foaming process if the resin or hardener needed to be changed that supplied those tanks I had to manually change them, I inspected parts as they come through any time I started up from a shutdown, If any problems arised that my wiper noticed I had to troubleshoot and fix the problem or bad parts would be made. I have trained several wipers and was responsible for relieving for breaks/lunch etc. while still running the line. Anytime the line had a problem from the front stock thru the preheater in the line that epoxy was put into the parts, to the depiler where they were loaded in stacks of 4 pallets and put into the curing oven thru the rear stock into another depiler to be sent out to final inspection I was in charge of dealing with. When no parts were present I had to load dummy pallets and run for 45 mins at a time to keep material moving. If coil assembly was down and I had parts on pallets I had to manually load into the rear stock in stacks of 2. I had to do manual level checks if material was running low and had to troubleshoot to find the problem. I have had to flush the entire machine out during the holidays. I also had to be certified for confined space entry.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
life robbing, & no proper management!
Horrible place to work. Barely better than being unemployed. Good ole boy promotion/raises. Management always spins everything. been this way 20 years
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNMay 15, 2013
Supervisor starts out by asking why all the daily projects are not complete in the first hour of the day. Forget about checking for hot issues on email from previous shifts. That just get condescending remarks. Most the time that you should know that the emails state before reading them. So, go to the production line and communicate with the production management, trouble shooters, team leaders. This only irritates your management more, with more condescending remarks. Seems the American management feels the need to impress the japanese by being very difficult to work with. My time there I documented millions of dollars of waste just so some managers didn't look bad for not taking care of issues years before.
Only very few co workers were trustworthy to follow procedures. Most considered quality the least of the worry. Getting as many productions numbers as possible, any way possible was the status quo. If anyone went against the status quo, they were quickly redirectd to other projects.
Hardest part of the job was watching bad product get shipped with no management caring. Constant sort/reworks which were only partially effective. Some had to be done several times and still shipped bad parts. Management always finding ways to decrease benefits.
Money was ok. Leaving was the best part.
Pros
its a job.
Cons
everything
Productive and fun workplace
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJune 3, 2014
Typical day at Denso for me is actually pretty exciting becasue you really don't know how ur day is going to go until you start up your machine and it gets to running. Some days you might run great but other times you might run slow just depending on how your machine works; might have a lot of problems with certain areas of the machine and you might not; just depends. My manager/team leader is actually a pretty awsome guy, he's actually helps me out with a lot of things, pretty much teaching me the ins' and outs of the machine and what to do if i have certain problems with it, baiscally like my own personal teacher. My co-workers are great, i enjoy working with them everyday of the week, they also help me out a lot. The hardest part of my job is probably doing my "first piece" checks and still trying to run the machine at the same time because you can easily fall behind and get overfilled with parts. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing how many parts in can get out in a shift depending on how many hours i work and also seeing how fast i can changeover to different parts and changing out die's, which are the piece of the machine that cut out certain areas on the parts, but pretty much just working and always satying occupied and busy.
Pros
working
Cons
temperture
Too much overtime. Unfriendly faces.
Maintenance Electrician. (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MI.June 7, 2012
To be fair, I didn't complete the initial 90 probationary period. From very early on I knew it wasn't a good fit for me and kept my job search going.

The department I was in (Maintenance) was under- staffed and overwhelmed - as were many production lines. While there I worked 10 hour shifts and every other weekend. This is the norm. Most of the repairs are "meatball surgery"- patch 'em up and run 'em. My co-workers, for the most part, were jaded and not overly helpful. Most people wouldn't even acknowledge a "good morning" or return my wave. It's a cold, harsh environment. Many employees have been there too many years and are burned out- and it shows. Management talks a good game, but I didn't see it translated at the floor level.

Overall, if you're looking for home / life balance- not for you. If you're anti-social and want to stack some fast cash and don't mind grinding it out 320 days a year or more, welcome to Nirvana.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
micro-managed and stagnant.
Great benifits, job security, and plenty of chances for advancement.
Production Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Athens, TNMay 7, 2015
There are no hard jobs at this factory. Some positions offer more mental stimulus than others. There is more over-time than some would like but I really enjoy working for this company. We get a raise periodically till you top out in your position with plenty of opportunities to advance, and bonuses twice a year. They match a certain percent of your 401k plan and offer paid holidays and vacation time. They also offer incentives for healthy living. By participating in their healthy horizons activities you receive a discount on your health insurance and incentives for completing each activity. Sometimes it's an extra $50 on your next paycheck or maybe a prize. They also offer scholarships for employees that want to take classes that can be used to further their career.
Pros
voucher for shoes. bonuses. PTO
Cons
30 min. lunch
Fast paced, quality driven and environmental friendly.
Production Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Athens, TNMay 29, 2013
Responsible for the training, evaluation, safety and mentoring of 16
associates in a production team environment. Conduct the daily operations of ensuring quality products are produced in a highly efficient manner and that meet the company and departmental targets and goals. I work with other members of the team management to crosswalk ideas and share resources to enhance our capabilities to produce the best product for our customer at the most cost efficient method without compromising quality. The hardest and the best part of the job is interacting with all levels of the team to produce our product.
Typical day at Denso
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Battle Creeek, MIJune 12, 2012
A typical for me at work is producing high quality parts with efficiency, I've learned how to operate machinery such as injection molding machines and overhead cranes as well as robotics. My co-workers were outstanding, they would listen instead of argue with me and that made the day go by easier, I would have to say the hardest part of the day would be at the end of the shift because there was alot of cleaning that had to be done and machines to get shut down and to do tpm's on the machines. My most enjoyable part of the day is troubleshooting machines because I like to fix problems.
Pros
really good health benefits
Cons
to much overtime
A nice environment for a manufacturing position
Quality Team Member (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNJuly 27, 2015
Denso in Maryville was the ideal place to perform your typical manufacturing position odd jobs. The people were great, the production was good, the machines worked well, and there was a minimum level of stress. Typical day for me consisted of clocking in, getting assigned to a machine, checking parts, keeping track of bad parts, and clocking back out. Some nights there would be different tasks like reworking parts or helping with other jobs as necessary. Overall a great experience.
Pros
Great environment, great management, good pay
Cons
Required selective weekend overtime
good pay, fairly clean work environment
Process Expert (Current Employee) –  Maryville, TNFebruary 13, 2015
I am on a line that is on a 10 hour work schedule due to having only a 1st and 3rd shift. Classes used to be offered to all associates in the past, but only a select few get the opportunity to attend the classes. There is too many people in management positions. Communication suffers because of this. The demand for products is very high so it is very hard to maintain a consistent number to meet these demands. I have the opportunity to work with a great crew, this would be the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
good teamwork with co-workers
Cons
too much weekend work
The pay is good...
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  DMMI MichiganJune 8, 2015
Don't like your family?
Don't care about any type of off time to speak of other than to sleep, eat and shower?
Willing to work every Saturday and most Sundays?

If you answered yes, this company is for you. While they preach "work life balance" to an almost sickening level, they appear that they could care less about it unless you are an engineer, office worker or upper management. They will toot their own horn about getting overtime down, only to bring more lines in and put you right back at the insane level they just had.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
non existent work life balance
Stable company
Quality Engineering Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Athens, TNFebruary 19, 2014
After contributing to the growth and success of automotive industry in the past several years, I am seeking new challenges with a team in need of someone with exceptional planning, leadership, and communication abilities. I have recognized what I find most gratifying in my career is more human resources related. I desire to be in a position with more interpersonal relations. I wish to be able to utilize and contribute the skills and knowledge that I have learned over the last 15+ years in various positions.
It depends on which plant you are in!!
Production Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Maryville, TNJuly 8, 2015
Each plant is like it's own company. They are nothing alike. In one you have to beg for overtime, in the other you only get every other Sunday off. A lot has changed during my tenure there. They try to appear to be a "family company" by sponsoring events, etc. but they work their people in the ground, including Holidays (most recently, Fathers Day and 4th of July).
Pros
If you don't have a life outside of work, you'll like the money.
Cons
Management are bullies, AR is spineless, they treat their "most valuable asset" like dirt.
Different
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Mayville,TNApril 10, 2015
Interesting place to work for since it comes down to what section your in on how the job is. Overall the company is good but part of your success in the company is all about who you know. I enjoyed working in QA but was miserable working the line under a 25yr old who had connections with management. He made it a bad experience since he let his personal hate for military decide how he treated his veterans. If you were a woman he would offer you bonuses and incentives on his line making it even worse.
Seemingly impossible to actually get hired on at this place
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNDecember 30, 2013
Handle large quantity of starters and alternators.
Ensure each part is handled carefully and packaging is correct.
Ensure scans for tracking are done accurately.
Ensure hourly quotas are met through a steady work pace.
Calculate parts moved per second every 2 hours.
Ship and receive packaging for Denso parts.
Remove shipping labels, sort, and assemble Denso packaging.
Operate forklift to stock packaging and fill orders.
Lots of hours working for a disconnected management with good intentions
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIOctober 19, 2015
Many new skills and opportunities available if you apply yourself without training available. Working for management that is disconnected from what is able to be produced in realality yeilds lots of overtime covering production needs. The intentions are good, to sell a quality product to customers.
Pros
Decent benefits, many skills available to learn
Cons
Too much overtime, you will work many weekends
I liked my job, wish I could have stayed.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNJune 25, 2012
I liked my job. It was fast paced and I got to help other departments after we met our deadline. I learned how to solder parts and repair them. I learned how important an inspectors job is in the manufacturing field.
Pros
i made good money, the insurance was paid for, the environment was cool for the most part
Cons
it was hard to get along with some of the people there due to power trips, it took atleast a year to move to another line or department
could be a nice place to work for if you like to work like a robot
production dept. (Former Employee) –  DWAM, Vista, CAOctober 23, 2015
Due to micromanaging, need to put up with it and don't try any new ideas, they will make your life miserable. If you don't mind this kind of environment then it is your place to work for, lot's of OT.
Pros
paid lunch, lot's of OT
Cons
poor management, micromanage, favoritism, production managers flirting with the young ladies, Production manager and assistant manager hiding information from Japanese upper management.
Secure Place to work
Supplier Quality Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Athens, TNJune 29, 2014
There is a special culture at Denso that values consensus and continuous improvement. This translates into a company that values employees loyalty. I like that it's a stable job, I have confidence DMAT will give me every chance to succeed even if a bad decision is made. Even during hard economic times the company will make every other alternative cut they can before considering laying their employees off.
Great experience
Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Athens, TNOctober 27, 2014
Denso is a strong and exciting place to work. The people really understand and value the true definition of team work. I have enjoyed every minute of working for this company. The only downfall of this place is you are expected to work long and late hours, weekdays and weekends and can be sent off to another city, state or even country on whim. If you can get past that, this will be one of the best companies you'll have ever worked for.