DENVER HEALTH

DENVER HEALTH Employer Reviews

What was once one of the best...
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), Every Single UnitDecember 17, 2014
Pros: co-workers, pay, benefits, diversity, exposure to other cultures
Cons: upper management, ceo with a questionable history of unethical accounting practices
... had quickly become the worst.

Direct patient contact time became a luxury rather than a priority. Staff is constantly bombarded with nonsense such as patient satisfaction scores coupled with threats of termination if not filled out, and filled out with perfect scores. Why? All because some little passive-aggressive type with either an online degree, not a day of bedside care, and/or holding the title of "Clinically Insignificant Buzzword... Liaison" made this junk up to pad their LinkedIn account. Sorry dude, your title didn't exist ten years ago and I doubt it will in another ten.

Take this direct copy and paste LinkedIn job description from a Senior Employee Relations Specialist:

"Assist and facilitate resolution of HR issues for the offices of the COO, CFO, CMO, General Counsel, Chief Government Community Relations Officer, Paramedics and Managed Care - approximately 2,750 nonunion and Career Service Authority employees (solely handled over 5,300 employees for a six-month period). Primary responsibilities in this consulting role include coaching/development, performance management, employee engagement, discipline, and training (develop classes and teach them).

Increased Employee Relations department customer service satisfaction surveys by 15 - 20% on average.
Rated No. 1 on Customer Service scores (timeliness of response; credibility of information) for 1st three quarters of CY2013 out of 21 service departments throughout the hospital.
HRSA coach for Nursing staff
Star Award recipient for superior customer service (nominated by a manager)
Assist with FMLA/ADA leave – more... management programs
Lean (Toyota Productivity Systems) Black Belt"

Good job on improving satisfaction scores dude. And kudos on that Star Award you listed. I'll bet it was awarded to you for improving employee moral.

I don't believe it's health reform, I believe it's people like this who jumped ship during the recession thinking it can't be much different than the lumber company they left. People who signed up at one of these puppy-mill "health care professional" schools in an abandoned strip mall searching for nothing more than a paycheck.

To those of you reading this from the outside. Apply to Denver Health if you're passionate about medicine and genuinely care about others. The Nurses, Physicians, RT's, LPN's, CNA's, X-Ray/CT/MRI Buddies, Pharmacy Crew, ER/ICU Techs, Cafeteria Peeps, Environmental Services, Admissions, and everybody I forgot... Are the most amazing group of individuals I ever had the pleasure of working with. Because of them the ten years I spent there were the best of my career. I'm glad my career ended there.

To those of you reading this from the inside, you know who I am and I'm doing great. I appealed my termination and DG made sure no other hospital would hire me. I have been placed on a list that is the color of night throughout the Colorado health care community. With over 100+ denied job applications, it doesn't take an HR representative to draw this conclusion. Six months ago I had no other choice but to hang it up and move on. I miss all of you dearly and think of every single one of you, every single day. – less
Great Experience
Radiologic Technologist - Per Diem (Former Employee), Denver, CODecember 16, 2014
Pros: subway in the hospital, learned something new everyday
Cons: shift sign up, team player feeling wasn't there
Working here has given me plenty of experience in a Level 1 trauma center. I have learned many different ways of doing exams. Going to work brought something new and different every day. The hardest part of the job was fitting in. Denver Health is a very close knit radiology department. If you didn't do your clinical rotations there it seemed a little harder to become a part of the team. The way they did their sign ups for PRN shifts wasn't very efficient either. They also have you work 16 hour shifts on the weekends, which to me seems a little much when you do them back to back.
Busy, Hard work, great learning experience.
Technologist (Former Employee), DenverDecember 2, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: long hours
I was trained and worked at this facility for several years. I loved the work, busy environment. Management needed some help but otherwise a great place to work and learn.
Great Benefits horrible management.
Interpreter (Former Employee), 990 BannockNovember 28, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: bad upper management
I worked for DH for 10+ years. Everything was fine then about a year and half ago things went downhill. G.B. A director at RMPDC hired an uneducated, underqualified woman as the operations manager in our department. Our team wrote him emails letting him know what we thought after interviewing her, but he ignored our feedback. We ended up with a manager that has no knowledge or skills about our profession. She has no management skills, can't express herself in a professional way and on top of it dresses like a street walker not like a professional business women. This department ran like a well oiled machine, that had a very low turnover rate. In my time there I rarely saw anyone leave,at the most 2 people resigned. In the last few months we lost our supervisor, manager, lead and team members with long tenures within the department. I could no longer stay, such a shame!
Denver health was more of a stepping stone to excel to other areas.
Mongolian Grill cook (Former Employee), Denver healthNovember 14, 2014
I did become the Mongolian grill cook, which was a great experience.
Improvements Are Needed
GRAPHIC ARTIST (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 1, 2014
Pros: benefits.
Cons: difficult deadlines.
In the department I worked for, the expectations were high, but at times are unrealistic. I learned how far I can push myself to get the job done in a fast paced environment and excel. The management in the department was ill-suited to bring out the best in staff. My co-workers were great individuals and enjoyed working with them.
Great Co-workers bad management
Clerical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 15, 2014
Great Co-workers bad management. I enjoyed working with most co workers but the management is the reason a lot of people are leaving the organization.
Best hospital in Denver
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Denver, COJuly 8, 2014
Pros: the pay, management, benefits
Cons: patient population
This is easily the best hospital to work for in Denver. The management is very cooperative and communicates effectively. Our manager is always standing up for us and doing everything to keep our department in good standing.
Friendly productive work place
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 18, 2014
Pros: room for advancement, great health benefits, day time hours m-f
Cons: high rate of turn over with new hires
Days are very busy and fast moving (which is great). I have learned a lot about Medicaid and Medicare billing over the years with DH. The hardest part of the job is communicating with non English speaking patients even with a translator. The most enjoyable part is the people I get to work with every day!
Inpatient Pharmacy: Warning!
Pharmacist (Former Employee), Inpatient PharmacyMay 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: horrid contract managers, unethical leadership
If you consider working for the Inpatient Pharmacy - be careful. It is a toxic department which is managed by a contact company. Since January of 2014 multiple excellent non-contract managers have left. In the last 2 months at least 6 techs have left along with several pharmacists.
If you value your career, you will want to work at another hospital.
Inpatient pharmacy - can I give negative stars to the poor management team?
Pharmacist (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 5, 2014
I'll start by saying that the pharmacists and techs are great, but management is awful. They are all very inexperienced and have no mentorship from senior management. When there is a disagreement among staff and management, the managers always get to make the call - no staff input is heard unless it is in favor of the managers.

If you're hoping for career advancement, it has been my experience that they do not care about their direct reports - they are more interested in padding their own CVs. It has become a very unethical place that I could no longer be a part of.

These managers do not care about what the pharmacy has become. It used to be a place of great pride to work at Denver Health, and now we are known as a dysfunctional place to work.
Productive and Fun Work Enviroment
Women's Health Peer Educator (Current Employee), Denver, COApril 23, 2014
Pros: free knowledge
Cons: temp position
I can tell you in three words Innovative, Direct and Passionate work place. Understanding and committed to giving out thorough training.
Inpatient Pharmacy...Beware!!!
Inpatient Pharmacy (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 19, 2014
Pros: the pharmacists and technicians are excellent and the benefits are decent.
Cons: poor management, inexperienced management, and lack of respect
The Inpatient Pharmacy was once the place to be in the city. Recent inexperienced and outsourced leadership has ran the department into the ground. I have worked here for many years, very happy and content, but I no longer feel the department embraces what Denver Health stands for...courtesy, empathy, and respect. Several long time key leaders have left as a result of this new culture and many folks are following their lead. These concerns were brought up to the Chief Operations Officer and nothing has been done about it. Please be very aware if you consider applying for the numerous openings in the Inpatient Pharmacy, there is a reason for so many openings. The engagement scores are at an all time low and employee turnover is at an all time high.
Efficient pediatric clinic with many sub specialties
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Denver, COApril 15, 2014
-specialized asthma, allergy, and dermatology nurse for clinic
-supported numerous providers for clinic
- inserted catheters
- administered vaccines, nebulizerz, and preformed spirometry
Constantly Submerged in Technology
SCCM Administrator (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 28, 2014
Constantly reviewing new software, upgrades, technologies in general to see how they can fit or be useful to the hospital.
Great place with great people
Internship (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 19, 2014
Since I am an unpaid intern, I'm not sure of their salary or benefits. However I have greatly enjoyed working with the women's health care clinic.

If offered a job, I would definitely accept it!
poor nursing leadership
Clinical Nurse Educator (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: lack of leadership and effective management
community health clinics poorly managed and negative culture
public health admin. great and supportive
fair leadership from CNO
appears job eliminations based on salary to reduce budget
I Loved the work I was doing.
Cook (Former Employee), Denver,CODecember 5, 2013
Pros: everthing about it.
Cons: had to leave
My day was busy from when I walked in the door. I learned how to work as a team. People I worked with were great. Enjoyed this job, I'd work alot of overtime which I didn't care, cause I like doing this kind of work. Herdest part was that I had to leave do to things that were out of my control at that time.
Detox facility
Addictions Counselor (Former Employee), Denver, CODecember 3, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: would not working with employees schedules for school.
A typical day at work including overseeing the female dorm as patients came in to detox. I took vital signs, assisted with the intake process and discharge interview and paperwork.
busy and on demand concentration
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee), Denver, CONovember 25, 2013
Denver Health is a great organization to work for. Work is busy which is plus. The people are great to work with.

1 2 3

About DENVER HEALTH

When you live a mile high, you sometimes need a safety net; that's where Denver Health and Hospital Authority comes in. Though – Read more