Denver Post Employee Reviews

Newspaper Carrier
Denver Post newspaper carrier (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 17, 2016
Working for the Denver Post was a solid job when I needed extra income. Each morning started at 3 am as papers had to be delivered no later than 6:30 am.

Upon arriving to my station, I had to roll and bag all the newspapers on my route, take them to my vehicle and then deliver them according to my route directions. I was an independent contractor working for the Post.

My manager was a great guy. He allowed me to bring my dog along on my route as I delivered newspapers in a part of town that was rather sketchy.

The most difficult part of my job was the early morning hours. I was a new mother at that time and the demands of working and taking care of my sons was physically challenging. However, I appreciated working on my own terms.
Pros
Once my route was completed, I was finished for the day.
Cons
Early morning hours
Loved the Denver Post
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 18, 2016
This is a place to develop and grow every day. My typical day is never filled with the same tasks, it is ever changing.

My co-workers were like family and the management strives to make it past all judgements of the newspaper decline.

The ONLY thing that is to be concerned about is the fact that the Post is owned by a hedge fund who's prior MO is to cut down the company while making a profit until there is nothing left. I have seen so many talented and amazing people be laid off and it's heart breaking every time.
Printed the news paper
"Local Chapel Chairman" (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 13, 2016
great co workers I worked a combination of 3 different shifts. Worked with management daily to make sure that working conditions were adhered to.The hardest part of the job was dealing with my peers to ensure a safe and productive work place.Working as a Press operator/Chapel Chairman seemed one in the same.
Good place for detail-oriented people
Distributor (Current Employee) –  Brighton, COSeptember 30, 2016
For potential carriers, if you are detail-oriented and love working independently, this is the place for you! It is helpful to know what you can use as tax deductions since carriers are independent contractors. Advancement possible for the right people; management supportive and helpful.
Pros
Great for those who wish to work largely on their own.
Cons
Seven days a week, be sure to find a substitute!
very stressful place to work
Senior Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 23, 2016
processing print orders
learned about print requirement
management was hard to deal with
co-workers were ok
hardest part of job was not knowing how long it would last
enjoyed the flexibility
Pros
the pay was good
Cons
moral
Carriers are nice, responsible people.
Distribution Agent (Former Employee) –  Ft Collins/LovelandApril 1, 2016
Too many hours. Agents would work nights to ensure distribution, work during the day to ensure customers were taken care of. Zone managers are great people, easy to work with. Carriers are amazing. The industry is not very modern and therefore; has been consolidating for years. This actually works well for everyone, but the budget has also been cut until it is hard to retain carriers which makes if hard to maintain customer service.
Pros
relaxed environment, great people
Cons
too many hours
Woring at the Denver post has proven to be a valuable experience.
newspaper carrier (Current Employee) –  Montrose County, CONovember 8, 2015
Working at the Denver Post has been a wonderful experience.
My co-workers are kind, and they are always willing to answer my questions.
The best part of the job for me, is the feeling of self worth that it gives me. I am proud of myself when I don't get any misses, or if I'm done early.
The hardest part of the job is satisfying some of the customers. The paper isn't late until after 9:30a.m. but they still call at 7:30a.m. to report a miss. I make sure to please them none the less.
My manager is a compassionate and kind person, to whom you can rely on to help you. At the same time he shows us that this is work and we need to make sure we are on task.
Late nights
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  La Junta, COFebruary 10, 2016
This job had me paying them for the right to work for them they quoted me a salary that was very far from the actual salary and it was very difficult to contact my supervisor.
Pros
Low hours
Cons
Paid to work for them
Okay as a part time job
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 1, 2015
In a typical work day, show up count you Denver Posts put them in there bags. Gather up other newspaper such as New York Time, USA Today, Barron, IBD, Wall Street JOurnal and put them into there designated bags. Leave the warehouse and head to my route, place papers at the correct subscribers house or office.
The people there are very nice adn friendly to work with.
Hardest part of the job is gathering up the newspaper and putting them into there bags.
Most enjoyable part is finishing the route and comig home.

Pay is okay, alot of charges since you an independent carrier.
Pros
Free newspaper
Cons
pay amount
Good people, good leadership
Account Executive, Real Estate Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 13, 2015
really good people but horrible benefits and not much structure. Everything is based on numbers and results as any sales driven org is therefore there isn't a lot of job security and high turn over.
Good place to work for.
Press Roll tender (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 2, 2015
I enjoyed working for the Denver Post in their commercial print division. Management was straight forward as to what they expected of you and were more than happy to celebrate achievements and mile stones. I will miss working with all the friends I made while at this company.
Pros
health care, 401k, vacation/pl
Cons
An endangered field
I enjoy my drive in the early morning except when it snows
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Lakewood ColoradoSeptember 24, 2012
I get to warehouse at three in the morning, I fold newspapers, I have learned about providing good service, inventory control, and budgeting

Hardest part of job is having to work seven days a week and you wreck your car doing this job

most enjoyable part of the job is December when we get to distribute Chrismas cards in our papers and all of the wonderful tips and nice messages from subscribers
Pros
its a job
Cons
seven days a week, wreck your car
I'd give The Denver Post overall very good ratings; it's a reputable company with many positive benefits.
ADVERTISING SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2013
The Denver Post was a great company to work for, for many years. As the company started losing money, they kept having to downsize which made it hard for the remaining employees since they had to pick up the extra work load. During the last two years, the company started to focus on going digital which required even more training and more job responsibilities. I truly loved working the The Post for years and survived may layoffs but last year one third of my department was laid off which included me.
Pros
working with many interesting clients
Cons
short staffed
Great products, poor management
Multi-Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 6, 2013
Great company when I first started with them in 2006. After many changes in management, the workplace became very unprofessional and not a great place to make a career longterm. There is a lot of freedom and flexibility with the job which is the biggest pro. The product portfolio was excellent and I could work as an agency, and not a sales rep. Poor management and high turnover made it a tough environment to succeed.
Not really good atmosphere and unstable place to work with a lot of favoritism with some sales people.
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 13, 2013
Not a lot of stability.
Hardest part: Commissin programs are unreacheable. Your success today will be your condenation tomorrow, for the way they recalculate month to month my commissions. They prommissed to me things that at the end were just lies.
Due to my product is not important they don't put to much attention to me and the development of the product.
Every day management did a lot of pressure with different contest.
Co workers some are accesible some don't
I learned about online services a little bit of everything. That part is good.
Enjoyable part: the opportunitty to do a lot of connections or networking and make good friends.
Pros
perks, tickets for games.
Cons
management : micromanagement, some are bothersome. they do changes must of the time without considering your opinion.
Run from this place....horrible place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  DenverJanuary 11, 2015
Managers are not knowable at all about the products, they don't offer any assistant or leadership. All they care about is the bottom line at the end of the day. Run...don't walk from this poorly run operation they call a newspaper.
Pros
NONE
Cons
MICRO MICRO MICRO Management....too many to write
productive, fun team to work with, and very people friendly.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 24, 2012
A typical day at work was very challenging fun to be there and strickly business. I learned about how many people read the paper and how important the paper was to some people. i also learned my people skills there and my Customer Service experience there and how important it is to be patient and very understanding when working in a call center dealing with mostly the elderly. The manangemnet was GREAT and very precise very understanding and also flexible. my co-workers were all great we stuck together more like a big family then just work buddies. The hardest part of my job was trying to keep my cool with rude, mean customers. The most enjoyable part was knowing i would keep my customers satisfied and very comfortable with keeping their product and knowing i was going to work to keep people happy and satisfied.
Pros
flexibility, great benefits, and great place to work
Cons
rude customers, and upselling
Good experience
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 18, 2015
Learned a lot at the job. Had a solid line of products. Good support staff. Lots of perks like trips and contests.Good work life mix Management had a lot of infighting.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
It was a newpaper
ok work place just not much room to advance
Delievery man (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COJanuary 3, 2015
I just fold papers, do routes, and throw extra apartment routes
Pros
lots of papers to do ok pay sometimes
Cons
not much downtime, lots of long night shifts
where dreams turn to nightmares
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 20, 2014
Low morale. management is misguided, judgmental and very political. High turn over because no one is happy.
Pros
Great company
Cons
too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denver Post. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6