Denver Public Schools Employee Reviews

Team Driven Enviroment
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  EGCSeptember 15, 2016
At DPS you are part of a team. You are never left with no one to turn to. The employees are passionate about what they do and its not just the Teachers, its everyone. They care about the children of Denver and every thing they do everyday is focused on how to make sure each child is successful.
Pros
Fantastic Team Work
Cons
Health Benefits have a Deductible
enjoy going to work.
Johnson Elementary School- Custodian (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2016
my typical day at work is trash each classroom, changing the liners in the trashcans. I vacuum 12 rooms each day along with cleaning 7 restrooms. I also sanitize the drinking fountains daily. however, on different days I do different duties. Monday I will buff out my hall, Tuesday I clean the tiles in my classrooms, Wednesday I will clean the windows on the doors. etc. My experience working at Denver Public schools has taught me so much things like learning how to operate the buffer, kavac(machine for restroom), learned how to lock up the building etc.
my coworkers make the environment very enjoyable to be at, they walk me through certain tasks and if I have questions they are happy to answer them, they are always in a good mood which makes working with DPS great. The hardest part of my job is the stripping the floors process. which I am not comfortable doing so I do not do it, my manager is very understanding of this process so he makes me do something else.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the students, they get happy to see me which gets me to enjoy my job because this means that I am a positive influence on the kids.
Lots of little people running around.
Food Service Worker II (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 12, 2016
Prep cooking, preparing for along days work.Every day you learn something new.Most of the time its a recipe.Everyone gets along and works hard for there earnings.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Self servicing
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 22, 2016
Learning experience
The busy environment
Learning how to work under pressure
Busy during holidays
Great way to improve communication
9/10. Great Entry-Level Job, with Room-to-Grow for a few years. Americorps Service. $2000 bonus for 'good performance' possible.
Math Fellow (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2016
The Denver Math Fellows is a group that attempts to help underprivileged-students understand math at a fundamental-level.
The program is backed by a company called Blueprint. Blueprint helps introduce data-driven teaching strategies and record the success new strategies achieve. Basically, Blueprint teaches people how to teach; very effectively, in my experience.

Americorps also allows Denver Math Fellows to serve in Americorps, and receive an 'education award' of $5700, upon completion of service. The education award can be used for educational purposes, such as: paying off student loans, covering monthly student loan payments, going back to school, etc.

As my first job out of college, it was very difficult at the beginning.By the end of my 'service,' I had acquired an assortment of skills (i.e data analysis; leadership; teamwork; data-driven daily plans; etc.).

Overall, this was a very good job to have directly out of college.
Pros
Americorps Education Award. Possible $2000 bonus. Team-based learning. Great experience.
Cons
Learning-curve of job is difficult.
Great Core Values
Denver Math Fellow (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2016
Great company to work for, they have great core values. They care about the student that they have. DPS put students first at all time. Every staff members does everything in there power to help the student reach their goals
Great Place to work
Equipment Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 4, 2016
Great team to work with. 5 days a week, Holidays off, Home by 5 pm every night. Very rarely work late. People are honest hard working group all out to achieve great results
Pros
Monday thru Friday
Cons
Lot of driving
Teaching someones child
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 31, 2016
I love teaching the younger children in fact all children in that aspect of life! !!! I would keep on doing this if I could, leaving was very hard to do
Pros
Warching someone grow
Cons
watching them leave
Guest Teacher
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 14, 2016
The best part about being a substitute teacher for Denver Public schools is the size of the school district which equals the variety of schools you can work in. Denver Public schools is a great school district.
Pros
Size of district, variety, chose your own schedule
Cons
Huge company and impresonalization
Overall DPS is a good place to work and I would recommend it to other people.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 27, 2016
Everyone works very hard and is committed to the mission of the district. The high turn over and frequent reorganizations make it difficult to feel like your accomplishing much.
Pros
Everyone is very committed to the vision of improving education
Cons
Constant reorganizations make it hard for people to focus
great workplace feeling wise
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80239June 9, 2016
Great workplace nice and quiet. Management at the school is awesome. No real regard for job security. Kept saying that they could replace you fast and easy.
Cons
Very short sick leave, if you have medical problem don't work here.
I enjoy working with kids, and fun respectful people.
Tech-Prep/Resource Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 8, 2016
Nice working environments. Students are respectful and fun. Co-workers and administrators are fair in their evaluations.
Pros
close to home
Cons
can't use my creative skills to advance in positions.
overtaxed district
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 8, 2016
I think this district has a solid vision and drive, but it is overtaxed to the point that it will drown. I was exceptionally impressed with the dedication and talent of MOST teachers on board, however a significant number of support staff (special education advisors--not SPED teachers, Assistant Principals,and especially the school psychologist and the Administrative Assistant/Post Secondary Advisory/Instructional Support) fostered a very negative, almost creepy climate ---like a version of 'Stepford School'.

My experience was one of walking in to complete chaos, spending the entire school year working under minimal support. I don't believe this was indicative of the district as a whole, rather it was specific to a school that had been allowed to operate with increasingly dysfunctional and counterproductive, even unsafe practices.

Hopefully, with new administration, things will be taking a step in the right direction!
Fun place to work if you enjoying making children happy.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 4, 2016
I enjoy working in kitchen, most of all i love cooking for the kids. Seeing the happy facing, when their favorite is on the menu. It surely is a rewarding job.
Pros
My favorite is you can eat what ever is in the kitchen for lunch.
Cons
Pay if you are not working the summer, in my case I just started. So if I was unable to work the summer i would haven no income, All year round pay, which is not so great either.
Will see the whole picture despite being an outsider looking in.
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  DistrictwideMay 26, 2016
I am currently leaving Denver Public Schools at the end of the year as a guest teacher. I have had many experiences working in different schools working with a variety of grade levels, cultures, and ability levels. The level of diversity in this district is second to none as is the teacher's abilities in the clasroom. They champion the core values and are not only teachers but mentors for the kids. It is amazing how they can still teach despite all the "extras" like data collection, classroom management, and attending meetings are going on around them! They truly care about the kids and want to make the experience kids-centered while higher ups want to bicker about things like test scores, curriculum changes, and evaluative criteria for teachers. These things are NOT kids centered and in many ways are detrimental to their progress. Leadership seems contradictory in many schools and will first start off very personable and friendly but then start acting like they could care less about much of anything unless it is district stuff. Some of this is beyond their control as principals are held to a very high standard and their jobs are on the line at all times! The sub system is well-organized and one can work almost everyday if you are not picky and are willing to go into the unknown. I started out doing this, but slowly began to pick and choose as time wore on as my respect level increased around the district. I knew which schools were better run and managed and those were the ones I tried to pick up jobs at. This job does teach you a lot about following schedules and deadlines,  more... micromanaging, and multi-tasking for sure! The pros of being a guest teacher are picking the schools you return to and your schedule (however, you need to work at least 5 days a month so keep that in mind), not having any work to take home at the end of the day, and building close relations with others in the building. However, the latter one could also be a con. SEE BELOW. You also get respected by many if you do a good job and do it for a few years as I have. They WANT you to return and that does make me feel good! I also worked as a long-term substitute and did short-term substitute jobs as well. The BIG problems with the district are school cultures can become very toxic and despite being a sub you will have no control of being drawn into this at times.I only go to a few schools now to sub so I see this more actively occuring. People will not hush-hush about anything and will be openly critical of others in the building and/or discuss things that need to be held in a private conversation. Stay out of the teachers lounge! I received no benefits for my job and no career advancement either. I substituted in this district for a few years and received no full-time teaching offers despite my attempts of trying. Principals would give a wide variety of excuses and it sometimes became a little awkward if you wanted to return to the school to sub. Principals wore me down with this and I eventually decided to leave teaching altogether. I still do believe my heart was in the right place, but the educational system and how it is set up currently were the real reasons why I was never hired. My suggestion with substituting is this: if you want to use it for any career advancement look elsewhere. If you want this job for some extra spending money on the side then it will work for you. This job cannot be a full-time career and works best with other income coming in. Or if you are retired.  less
Pros
Being respected by others, working with kids, and being able to choose where and when you work
Cons
Toxic environments, lack of career advancement, people failing to understand the entire picture
Excellent
Guest Teacher (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 15, 2016
This job is a great job. The management staff is great and they allow you to be flexible on what grade and subjects that you substitute for. They will go out of their way to find you the right assignment. The most difficult part of the job is that it is not a year round job with consistent employment.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Not consistent employment
Exciting place to ensure every child succeeds.
Denver Math Fellow (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 9, 2016
I have worked the last 2 years with Middle School students in a community where every child deserves equitable education. It is extra challenging to prove to students in North-East Denver that they can work hard to get smarter in school. Every day is a new opportunity to show them their mistakes in Math class are simply learning opportunities, and that their brains are malleable. No one is born, "great at Math." While I did deal constantly with behavior management, the reward of creating lasting relationships with future leaders of our community was truly amazing!
Pros
Healthcare, work lap-top, field trips, professional development
Denver Public Schools
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 2, 2016
Great people to work with, never had any problems with staff or co-workers. always respected and helped when needed, great learning experience for me.
Horrible
Kaleidoscope Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2016
I spent a year working for Kaleidoscope. 6 months of which they paid me correctly. The rest of the time, I was shorted so badly month after month that I lost my home and had to quit. At my first site, my boss ran the daycare like a kiddy prison. The second one, my supervisor was nice, but they did not ever do their job. Time after time, shopping would not get done. There were also times where my manager had us clocking in with a timesheet instead of fixing the computer. I ended up losing mine, and was shorted more than normal on two checks (both under $100). I'm pretty sure this is because my manager, possibly with malicious intent, did not enter my late hours. I called HR with a complaint, they blamed me for losing my timesheet. The 12/hr pay rate is appealing, but if you want to get paid, find a private childcare company to work for.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
horrible management, inconsistent paychecks
Fruitful Knowledge while having fun
Licensed Program Director (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 17, 2016
Learning effective child/staff ratio and State safety regulations for the well-being of all children, while recognizing every child is unique based on individual skills of observations has been a reward in learning comprehensive approaches for a child's developmental domains. Rewarding was maintaining a child-care home, continued college, training courses through DPS, and working for DPS, in turn, has allowed me to gain knowledge with administrative job duties and other instructional methods in preparing youth for their educational goals, while supporting staff, has been equally important to maintain teamwork with smooth transitions of the classroom.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denver Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Denver Public Schools Reviews by Location