DENVER ZOO Employee Reviews

Supportive and fun Co-workers
Zoo Educator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 16, 2017
I really enjoy working at the Denver Zoo, I have been working there for awhile now and its been really enjoyable. If looking at a VARIABLE PART TIME position don't count on getting 20hrs a week.
Pros
people there are very supporitive
Cons
extreamly commpetitive
Love this job!
Admissions Cashier (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 10, 2017
Hours are flexible, management is amazing, work can be slow or fast depending on the guest flow. I learned a lot about the animals and animal care that they house.
Denver zoo was a fun place to work at.
Cleaning and cashier. (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 7, 2017
I learned many things at Denver zoo for example I learned how to deal with customers using critical thinking, I also learned how to clean neatly. when I clean I like to clean so neat and am so organized.
Pros
we had free lunches at denver zoo, and airport Mcdonalds
Cons
2 breaks for 30 minutes.
Giving you an opportunity with people skills
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 10, 2017
Enjoyed every moment over the years but never gave opportunity for people that had seniority to feel appreciated. This did help me learn and understand what potential I actually had.
Great Place to work
Crew Member/Cook (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 4, 2017
IF you're looking for a good stable place to work, That will keep building you up to better things. Then you will enjoy and appreciate this job. yeah!
Growth in Experience
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 20, 2017
Great first job during my time in college. Developed key retail skills, found out skills about myself, as well what to work on in near future. What a wonderful experience during time in college.
Friendly people
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 27, 2017
everyone there is nice and great people to work with, however basic communication is lacking. higher ups pass blame down as well management treated you like they didn't want you there they would just hire someone else
Incredible Staff
Nutrition Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 20, 2017
Denver was such a fun place to work at. The staff there is amazing and there is such a strong team atmosphere. I worked at the animal nutrition center and everyone there was so supportive and helpful.
a fun environment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 29, 2016
As a cashier i provided excellent customer service and sold products to every customer that came into the store. I learned how to up sell and add additional items to each transaction. the hardest part of the job was knowing every employee since there was so many leaving and coming in, the most enjoyable part was the environment i love the zoo and working there was fun.
Pros
I got alot of hours
Cons
no autonomy as an employee
Very Fun Summer Job
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 23, 2016
Working at the Denver Zoo you'll experience many different people,working with you and guest. its very fun, always changing, just getting used to the smell.
Pros
free lunch, shift bid
Temporary Job at Best
Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 26, 2016
Constant turnover of staff, management wishy-washy, and job specifications ever changing.
I worked here part time for less than 2 years while I attended college. In that time I have over a dozen different managers.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Money taken out for lunch/break, constant coworker turnover
Working with animals is the best I guess N everyday over 700 people needs help and showing them around
Runner/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 8, 2016
This job made me feel that I can do everything cuz I was the only one who was doing two different positions at one place and every week I was getting 50,cent discount
Pros
Free food
Cons
Great and fun place to work!
FOH Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 26, 2016
Great place to work. Was really respected from the employees, and the management team. enjoyed working at the restaurant, seeing all the kids and the pleasure they were having at the Denver Zoo
Fun and productive environment
Concessions Cashier (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80216October 2, 2016
I was mostly handling with food, but the friendly environment was great. The views of the animals were the most exciting thing about going to work. Overall a great job I recommend any teen to work at.
Each day was a hit or miss
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gift ShopMay 25, 2016
Overall, my time in the gift shop was okay. I personally wouldn't recommend this job to someone unless you are looking for a part time job and are in high school. I got to learn how to be a Barista, which was nice because now I have experience in that. The management was hardly management. There was always gossip around the zoo and they definitely weren't professional. In the summer you get a lot of hours but in the winter be prepared to get called off every other day or to be very BORED. The best part of the job were my coworkers. I made a few really good friends in the gift shop. A typical day depends on where you are positioned but mostly you take payments and make change, or stock and clean. Oh yeah, don't expect a raise either no matter how long you are there or how good of an employee you are. They are cheap cheap cheap.
Pros
discounts on retail, co workers
Cons
management, no free lunch, pay for uniforms, no benefits
Only the animals and other co workers are worth working here
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 17, 2016
Dont get me wrong i love working here but the pay isnt really much when you work you butt off everyday. you litteraly have to pay for everything. Uniforms such as t shirt($21.00) Wind breaker $20.00
Fleace jacket $15.00 your own slacks that must be black and non slip shoes which also have to be black. Management is getting worse and worse. We can no longer wear shorts during the summer time...... Co workers are amazing but i wouldn't recommend working here if you're looking for a career.... this is a job for teenagers during the summer time...also there is NO benefits what so ever....
Pros
co workers and animals
Cons
no free lunches or help with uniforms cant wear shorts in summer...
Quality magazine and wonderful staff
Public Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 7, 2016
I interned at Bakersfield Life magazine out of college and it was a great experience. I was given plenty of responsibility and even allowed to write a cover story for one of the issues.
Great for personal advancement
Nutritional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 26, 2015
Working for the Denver Zoo is a great position because I am able to use my nutrition background to produce high quality products. The main responsibility that I have is to produce nutrition and allergen information for the companies restaurants. I can work at my own pace and when I have allotted time. The management is extremely receptive to my feedback.
Pros
Work at my own pace
Cons
The position was not consistent with work
This job was very fun and I got to meet a lot of people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2014
A typical day at the register would consist of sales and greeting people into the Zoo. I learned how to cater for weddings and special events. The management was great, and we were never short on staff. My coworkers turned into great friends, and were always dependable. The hardest part about my job was the catering part. I love doing it, but it was hard when I served the food to people and they didn't like it. The most enjoyable part was getting to experience working by the animals, and also getting to set up for great events at the Zoo.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
when people would get mad at you if they didn't like their food.
Graphics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COApril 23, 2014
Denver Zoo is a great place to work. The people are committed to great cause and are fun to work with. I love what I do and the environment in which I get to work.