DENVER ZOO Employee Reviews in United States

Each day was a hit or miss
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gift ShopMay 25, 2016
Overall, my time in the gift shop was okay. I personally wouldn't recommend this job to someone unless you are looking for a part time job and are in high school. I got to learn how to be a Barista, which was nice because now I have experience in that. The management was hardly management. There was always gossip around the zoo and they definitely weren't professional. In the summer you get a lot of hours but in the winter be prepared to get called off every other day or to be very BORED. The best part of the job were my coworkers. I made a few really good friends in the gift shop. A typical day depends on where you are positioned but mostly you take payments and make change, or stock and clean. Oh yeah, don't expect a raise either no matter how long you are there or how good of an employee you are. They are cheap cheap cheap.
Pros
discounts on retail, co workers
Cons
management, no free lunch, pay for uniforms, no benefits
Only the animals and other co workers are worth working here
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 17, 2016
Dont get me wrong i love working here but the pay isnt really much when you work you butt off everyday. you litteraly have to pay for everything. Uniforms such as t shirt($21.00) Wind breaker $20.00
Fleace jacket $15.00 your own slacks that must be black and non slip shoes which also have to be black. Management is getting worse and worse. We can no longer wear shorts during the summer time...... Co workers are amazing but i wouldn't recommend working here if you're looking for a career.... this is a job for teenagers during the summer time...also there is NO benefits what so ever....
Pros
co workers and animals
Cons
no free lunches or help with uniforms cant wear shorts in summer...
Quality magazine and wonderful staff
Public Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 7, 2016
I interned at Bakersfield Life magazine out of college and it was a great experience. I was given plenty of responsibility and even allowed to write a cover story for one of the issues.
Great for personal advancement
Nutritional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 26, 2015
Working for the Denver Zoo is a great position because I am able to use my nutrition background to produce high quality products. The main responsibility that I have is to produce nutrition and allergen information for the companies restaurants. I can work at my own pace and when I have allotted time. The management is extremely receptive to my feedback.
Pros
Work at my own pace
Cons
The position was not consistent with work
This job was very fun and I got to meet a lot of people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2014
A typical day at the register would consist of sales and greeting people into the Zoo. I learned how to cater for weddings and special events. The management was great, and we were never short on staff. My coworkers turned into great friends, and were always dependable. The hardest part about my job was the catering part. I love doing it, but it was hard when I served the food to people and they didn't like it. The most enjoyable part was getting to experience working by the animals, and also getting to set up for great events at the Zoo.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
when people would get mad at you if they didn't like their food.
Graphics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COApril 23, 2014
Denver Zoo is a great place to work. The people are committed to great cause and are fun to work with. I love what I do and the environment in which I get to work.
Gift shop was a fun place to work, especially working Barista
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 12, 2013
Everday I came in and had to have a mini meeting, and went and did my part to clean up the store, making everything presentable. I learned a few things about the zoo animals while working their. The hardest part of the job was on really slow days, having absolutely nothing to do.I loved being Barista for the gift shop, it ensured you would stay busy and you wouldn't be watched over like a hawk by management.
Pros
free lunches and coffee
Cons
everyday we had a staff meeting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DENVER ZOO. Our community is ready to answer.