Department of Aging and Disability Employee Reviews

Very rewarding
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2017
Great opportunity. I like the moral of the unit. The independence given in this role. Work is checked often for errors. Traveling is not the best at times.
Productive and fun work environment.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 8, 2017
Responsible for monitoring video surveillance of employees.
• To ensure safety and welfare of the consumer.
• Monitor and report violations of neglect and abuse to the Director of Department of Aging and Disability.
• Responsible for recording particular cases of neglect and abuse.
good work environment, good benefits
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Mexia, TXMay 17, 2017
Help give aid to the mentally ill. Help with social skills,motor skills,and working youth back into the community. Management was okay,no issues. The hardest part of the job was trying to get an increase in pay. The most enjoyable part was taking the youth out on trips to the movies/out to eat.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Frustrating place to work for.
Charge (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 16, 2017
I've worked at this state supported living center for several years. When I first started, we had plenty of staff that had a good work ethic. A few years later, we had younger staff coming in with iffy work ethic. For the past 2 years now we've been short staffed and having to work double shifts up to three times a week, sometimes up to 18-20 hour shifts.

Older staff are retiring as soon as they can, younger staff are being hired with zero work ethic and new staff that are good workers are quiting shortly after being hired due to the double shifts and unrealistic expectations pasted down by management.

The buildings desperately need work done and newer state vehicles are needed. Instead the money seems to go elsewhere. When a natural disaster happens, it takes hours for people to get it together. Committee's involved in making decisions for a client, who can not make their own decisions, usually do not listen to staff.

Your only chance for advancement really only comes when someone retires or resigns. Favoritism is, more often than not, shown to certain staff that are friends with upper management. From my observations, you will have job security as long as you put forth minimal effort and don't upset management. This place will consume your life.

Last but not least, instructors will give you answers to all test during the three weeks of training you receive before working around clients. No independent thinking is required.
Pros
Insurance and retirement
Cons
Breaks, pay/salary, extended work hours
Very fulfilling and warm enviorment
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San BernardinoMay 2, 2017
Its a real gift to be able to help care for someone in need. I love helping people, at first my client and I got along great, but when it came to hygiene and physical therapy she was extremely mean and wouldn't cooperate.
Pros
Helping
Cons
It was an all day job but I only got paid for five hours a day. I typically worked 12
it was straight to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mexia, TXApril 25, 2017
Reading Diet Card learning the different textures sweeping and mopping learning to get get along with other people and no eating or drinking the stuff
Pros
had a lunch breack
Cons
took short break
Great coworkers, but bad Directors
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 5, 2017
f you are lucky enough to work in a unit with solid leadership, this can be a good position if you work well under pressure with competing priorities and deadlines. Very fast paced...you can look at the clock at 9 am then look at the clock again and it is already 12:30 pm. Coworkers are friendly, helpful and often go out of thier way to get you the information you need while working on a project.

However, directors do not always clearly articulate project parameters and often change thier minds about what they want the end of the project to look like in the middle of the project and expect original deadlines to be met.

Do not expect to receive any real training on your job position . You just have to jump in and learn it and hope you don't make any mistakes. Coworkers often fill in the gaps in training.

DADS tends to overuse email where many group meetings that should occur in person occurs in email
Pros
Good benifits, great co-workers and direct managers, state holidays, merit bonus pay
Cons
Directors with unrealistic expectations, overlapping tight deadlines, culture tolerates workplace bullying, no real training
Holdovers will make you quit!
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 26, 2017
I really love this job. I love what I do and I enjoy helping the individuals. The only thing that makes me want to quit is the hold overs and having to float to other homes.
Pros
Benefits, advancement
Cons
Hold overs and floating
Don't apply here!!! You have been warned.
Staff (Current Employee) –  On CampusFebruary 27, 2017
This place is the worst place I have ever worked. Management doesn't know what they are doing. They will hire anybody here and I mean anybody. All people do here is gossip and sleep with eachother instead of taking care of the residents. There are staff that steal from the facility and residents and treat them like trash.

Do not send your family members here, they will get very bad care.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Technician I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2017
A typical day at work was to enter the state building and enjoy the atmosphere and work diligently to complete job tasks. I learned how to complete jobs by the deadline, and also learned new policies. I really did like the management. They were about getting the job done, and also provided a fun atmosphere to work in. I enjoyed my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was getting things done in a timely manner such as shipping and mailing important things to other employment agencies, because some of their employees jobs were on the line. The most enjoyable thing about this agency is the whole fun atmosphere and coworkers and management relationships
Pros
potlucks, extended lunches
Cons
had to move to several offices
This is a great place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 7, 2016
a typical work day is not always predictable, I have learned to be more compassionate with this job. management don't care much about your personal life though because they don't always provide a well balanced work and life schedule. sometimes it feels as though you are being punished for coming to work, because you are forced to work a 16 hrs shift and still have to show up for work the next day. They don't balance the schedules for you to be aware that the day before you are off, to be subject to a stay over. Some of the tenured co-workers like to slack off and let you take on the heavier loads. the hardest part of this job will definitely be dealing with stay overs and your co-workers. the most enjoyable part is caring for these individuals, if caring for others brings joy and happiness to your life this is the job for you. I would have worked for much longer than I did have management provided a better scheduling managements.
Pros
amazing benefits, days off are flexible, the individuals you serve are amazing people who need your help for their daily lives.
Cons
some days you might have to work 16hrs
Worst place to work!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 21, 2016
I been working here almost 4 years and I see alot staffs come and goes. They are always hiring because their is always a firing spree everyday accusing staffs for no reason, it is hard to even keep a job like this without pointing fingers and its rediculous of how they can't keep anyone. Ones you work for them as the State, and get terminated, you can not ever work for another State location again and yet they want you to sign a contract about rights for not sueing them if anything happens just so you can not defeat that facility of being accused. I will never reccomend this job to anyone because it can effect a future job if you are willing to take care of indivuals anywhere as another State job.
Pros
Benefits and getting to know the individuals
Cons
Short breaks, unexpected holdovers, rude staffs, firing spree
No support from management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Your life seems to be threatened constantly, management does not care you are just another body doing the job. If you get assaulted or attacked they won't care because they will find someone in desperate need of a job and hire them. You are not valued, treated with respect and dignity or supported by anyone. Private sector is always better.
Benefits
Cons
Management, co workers and some clientele
Fair
Utilization Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXSeptember 16, 2016
I enjoyed doing the work and I liked the people I worked with, they were very professional. The work environment was very pleasant.
Dads
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of working for DADS is knowing that each worker makes a difference in a Texans daily life. The collaboration between all levels of the organization work together to improve the lives of the individuals we serve.
The benefits are not worth this job!!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, TXAugust 5, 2016
Commute:
they advertise as 15 minutes from San Angelo. This means 10-15 minutes fighting traffic in town, then once you get to the outskirts of San Angelo it’s a 15-20 minute drive to the facility. That means you will spend maybe an hour just driving to and from work. Now add in the fact that this is a VERY busy/dangerous highway in the morning and afternoons. I’ve had my windshield broken from semis flinging rocks from a distance, I’ve had several people pulling a trailer pull out into the highway with their trailer taking up half the road nearly causing me to have a head on collision with their trailer, wild deer run rampant as potential car accident infact theres many dead deer on this road, people traveling from the oil rigs swerving on the road because the just got done working night tower and they’re exhausted, and the best part is your own coworkers, not. These people that are going to the same place as you, will ride your bumper the whole way, cut you off, and play car games on this busy highway. I still question why this continues to be an issue; I don’t want to think that the people they hire are this stupid or reckless.

Coworkers:
This place is desperate for nurses and DSPs, for a reason. (thus all the low rating reviews by them) They are amongst the worst treated employees at the facility. Overworked and very underpaid. They are put in very dangerous situations. Many times it's life threatening to the employee. However, the employee is made to feel like they were incompetent and it is their fault for the behavior of the individual. Management and Administration
  more... are so unprofessional. This is coming from someone who has lots of experience working with high schoolers. My department was called in to their office and we were yelled at as if we were 10 years old receiving a lecture from parents. was not a conversation pointing out areas of improvement but rather how disappointing and inefficeint we were.The actual situation had nothingto do wiht our departemtn but we had a plan of correction to present anyways and we were told that they didn't even want to hear it,and that it didn't matter.

The Individuals:
There is a reward system put in place for them but there are no consequences for them. They pretty much get away with anything including false allegations against employees. This causes strain because the employee is then pulled away from all client contact and then the remaining staff have to pick up slack in an already stressful environment. Individuals jump the fence, run into traffic, destroy visitors cars and property both on campus and off (which the facility eill not compensate you for), have some how been able to get ahold weapons, physical and other assaults toward employees (and other residents) on homes and in offices...The only consequences they face are having to stay at their homes or not go into town on a shopping trip...for nearly killing or otherwise emotionally damaging other people. There are maybe a handful of individuals that are sweet, hard working, and will make your day.

Environment-Off Campus:
It's in Carlsbad.It’s a dirty, run down, community with many thefts and drug addicts. They allow their dogs to run loose and nearly cause car accidents every day. I have even seen horses unfenced grazing by the highway. There is at least one new dog lying dead by the highway every week amongst several cats. You have to be careful walking to your car because some of the dogs that are loose are very aggressive and will lunge at you.

Environment –On Campus:
Buildings are quite outdated and need constant maintenance with plumbing and air conditioning. Not exactly good for hot West Texas weather and individuals on heat sensitive medication. There are only a few handful of maintenance guys that are worth talking to that actually get something done. The rest will literally ignore you, your emails, and if for any reason they actually pick up their phone they will give you an attitude like you are inconveniencing them, of course this is campus wide issue anyways.

Pay/Benefits:
The benefits are what makes this place shine for many people. Paid healthcare, 401K, retirement, etc. But that’s about it. The pay is awful in comparison with the duties the person performs (particularly direct support professionals-people who work with the individuals). They post salaries online because other places don’t normally do this, and it creates a sense of surety in the state school. Theres a starting point of negotiation or settlement whereas other places don’t tell you how much they offer until you are in an interview.

Work-Family Balance:
If you have kiddos don’t be a DSP, work an office job. DSPs are made to feel guilty, held back when the next shift doesn’t show up for work, and forced to stay in inclement weather irregardless of outside (non-work) responsibilities. In ANY position here if you need to take time it is usually met with an attitude and sometimes retaliation amongst coworkers and managers. So be prepared if you need to leave because someone’s sick, you are taking vacation, you need maternity/paternity leave, or even have to go to treatment somewhere etc.

Advancement:
No such thing. Unless you know other people or have been working here for over 20 years, you are probably only going to improve salary based on your hard work. Now you will move into “parallel advancements” that will enhance your knowledge of the facility and its inner working but it won’t guarantee you increase in salary over time.

DON'T BE FOOLED and DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!
Between the dangerous conditions, low pay, low morale, and uncooperative coworkers...you're better off somewhere else.
Pros
Healthcare Benefits Paid
Cons
Everything else
Can be dangerous, some very strange managers, high turnover
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJuly 23, 2016
There are some very psychotic individuals who reside here who can be very dangerous at times. It wasn't worth it to me to possibly get injured or killed to stay there. Management will work you as a charge nurse but take forever or never give you the increase in pay that is supposed to come with that position. One manager would show outright dislike for men of a certain race. It's difficult to take time off due to nursing shortage. Moral is VERY low for workers with constant turnover. Make sure management pays you at the high end of the range when you start because promises to raise it to the higher end are just that, promises, empty promises. There are cameras everywhere but when something dangerous is happening, big brother doesn't come out to help. They show up later to tell everyone what they did wrong.
Pros
Provides home-like environment for disabled individuals. Coworkers, residents and state benefits.
Cons
Management, environment can be dangerous around some residents, inadequate staffing for nursing.
Politics and False Allegations
DSP III (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 16, 2016
Working with MHMR clients is fun and rewarding job. The problem is NOT working with the clients or the work. It is working for the management and supervisors who are never there to help. Most of them only show up to work a few hours a day and then they go home. When they are there they are locked up in their office with their buddies. They promote their friends and will turn folks in for abuse and neglect to get them out of the way by eliminating competition for job advancement. Most of the jobs that require a degree are waved for their friends. I have known folks who have lied about having a degree and they are in upper management. The State does not request transcripts for some reason once you are in. The upper management retires with full benefits and their friends hire them back in easy upper leadership position, meaning they never really leave but they get a pay check plus retirement from the State. Thus, there is no new leadership or positive change because it’s a political cue or click. The lower grade staff (DSP I-II) is always looking for opportunities to advance and they will make false allegations against the unit leaders and others to get advancements. Beware, many are old high school friends or party buddies and they will buck any authority that is not part of their group. “If you decide to work here watch you back and document everything you see, say and do. It will save you from getting a record that will ruin your life forever.”
Pros
Helping those who cannot help themselves
Cons
Politics, supervisors, management and poor hiring quility
Great place to work, but be prepared for older minds.
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  701 W. 51st StreetJune 21, 2016
I enjoyed my time with DADS, however, beware that it is the State of Texas and this may lead to certain management styles that are not catered to the millennial generation.

However, the State of Texas is a great place to work and you meet great people and have plenty of opportunity to advance. I will definitely look to go back in the future.
Pros
Great benefits, great people
Cons
Micromanaging
This apears to be another poor example state employee, managers, not doing their jobs.
Tax payer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2016
Based upon what I have read about this service provided by the State of Texas. Why would anyone wish to work there, when their work is so important. The are charged with seeing that one of our states most vulnerable segments of our state is safe and taken care of.

There is a lot of money being spent, and from the sounds of it wasted. Where is the Office of the Inspector General. Its time for a UC investigation into fraud, abuse, and theft by this department. Starting from the top down. No one is above review or inquiry.

Sad part is probily nothing will happen or take place, the director, managers, IGs, & investigators will go about their merry tasks of doing nothing, yet will accept that direct deposit for an oath they don't uphold. Sad