Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Great workplace and job
Temporary Soil Conservation Aid (Former Employee), Union, WVAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere
Cons: none
I loved working with the USDA/NRCS for two summers. They are wonderful people to work with and always have a positive attitude. Meeting clients and occasionally working outdoors are a plus as well.
Great location
Supervisory Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Redmond, ORAugust 16, 2015
Working in Central Oregon is great. Supporting the Deschutes national forest was rewarding. Job security but busy in the summer.
Great people and flexiable hours
Biological Science Aid (Current Employee), Ames, IAAugust 14, 2015
Great Place to Work!

Responsible for rearing naval orange worms from larval stage through egg-laying, including accurate labeling, rearing, handling of live insects, processing samples for analysis and storage in the refrigerator or -20C to -80C freezer as needed.
Overall Rating - 4
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 9, 2015
Worked at the organization for six years. The organization allows flexible work time and schedules and time for exercise, which promotes mental wellness. The work is challenging and rewarding at the Regional level. Overall, the employees of the organization are really nice and willing to assist others. The problem is that promotional opportunities in my field are very rare. The most challenging part of the job is the work load. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other employees and I like the job so I find it enjoyable as well.
Military job.
Administrative Services Clerk (Current Employee), Pueblo, COJuly 21, 2015
This job teaches you accountability to your superiors, peers and subordinates. Being a military member provides an experience like no other career can provide. It's a life style that is not for everyone, just a select few.
Eh...It's okay
Policy Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 17, 2015
Great starter job, but don't look to advance. May not be the best for the ambitious. I have been here for two years but am aggressively looking for a place that will allow me to further develop my skills.
Housekeeping (Former Employee), beltsville,mdJuly 14, 2015
great place to work friendly people great atmosphere. Easily adaptable workplace. typical day at work was routine cleaning of bathrooms, offices & other personnel designated areas
Productive workplace
Quality Analyst (Current Employee), Herndon,DCJuly 10, 2015
Nice place to work at. Good management. Work culture is good. There is a lot of scope for learning which is very important.
Maintenance Worker - WG-08 (Former Employee), San Acacia, NMJuly 3, 2015
Excellent work environment, Flex schedule and a great staff to work for at Sevilleta Wildlife Refuge. All co workers were very knowledgeable and very caring. Would work there again if given a chance.
Perfect part time job to have in college
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), State College, PAJuly 1, 2015
I did water and soil processing in the agricultural research lab. This included weighing out samples, running them on machines to process them, then sending them to a different lab to get analyzed. In the lab I had to be very accurate and organized in order to get good results.
The management was fantastic! They were very understanding with my varying work schedule due to my coursework. My co-workers were wonderful! They were very nice and always very supportive with whatever I was going through in school or life.
The most difficult part of the job was that it was very monotonous work. But I loved the people I worked with and the atmosphere of the lab.
Important Work, Innovative, Forward Thinking
Plant Variety Examiner (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 29, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedules, retirement planning, health care, sick leave, vacation leave
Cons: Some facilities are old and need refurbishing.
The department is working to support local food production, access to nutritious food for school children and low income people. Innovation is key to growing food and the department is focused on supporting a diverse portfolio of forward thinking farming practices.
Personnel (Current Employee), Beltsville, MDJune 28, 2015
Enjoy supporting the mission of the scientist and how they support our agricultural environment, food and services. I enjoy my job.
clearview
Wellness Supervisory Nurse Manager (Current Employee), clear viewJune 26, 2015
Responsible for the acute care of young adult population
Coordinated wellness programs for employees/students
Coordinated with Weber-Davis Health in wellness programs
Coordinated with the Center of Disease Detection and Treatment
Providing accommodations for individuals with disabilities (504/IEP)
Food inspecting
Consumer Safety Inspector GS (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 24, 2015
Enjoyed ensuring the regulatory requirements are being met. Inspecting product for wholesomeness and misbranding. Ensuring a quality product unadulterated enters commerce.
Flexible workplace
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee), Clovis, CAJune 21, 2015
A typical work day included answering phone calls which was a part i enjoyed alot because i enjoyed interacting with customers even if it was just over the phone. Also i learned alot about our forest and how much it has to offer to the public.
Great
Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Vernal UtahJune 15, 2015
Working with the Forest Service is great. Opportunities for advancement and chances to fight forest fires as well as do lots of traveling.
Great People Great Research
Biological Science Technician (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FloridaJune 15, 2015
We worked hard, we had great work friendships and I personally learned a lot. My supervisor was very promoting of learning new skills and we were given the freedom to work independently and were able to get so much done. Going to miss working here it was an honor and a wonderful experience.
Productive and fun enviroment
Education Specialist/Office Assistant (Current Employee), Phoenix,AzJune 9, 2015
Pros: Being able to make a difference
Cons: No direct deposit
Each day is a new challenge. Being able to make a difference in young people lives is a blessing. I get to meet new families everyday who are new to bringing their little ones to a childcare facility. Each day my communication skills get stronger and my experience gets better!
Strange but rewarding place to work
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 7, 2015
Pros: Excellent teamwork, open and friendly workplace
Cons: Far too much bureaucratic red tape, politicking, and silo'd structure
This was my first experience working for a Federal agency, and I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was for the level of bureaucratic red tape. The IT division of the USDA is extremely silo'd - in my opinion this leads to a great deal of the issues I confronted with efficient and effective troubleshooting, system administration and project management.

On the other hand, within my team on the Service Desk Organization, we were a highly supportive and enjoyable team to work with. Within the limitations of our purvue, we were efficient, effective, with a great deal of mutual support - no one on our team was afraid to ask for help, and everyone willingly dove in.

Were I offered the opportunity to return to the SDO as a direct Federal employee, or via a more reputable contracting agency, I would do so without hesitation.
Best Places I worked ever
QA Tester (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 6, 2015
A good work environment, disciplined co-workers have always been motivated me to work with. Though sometimes requirement will not be very clear and takes more time to verify.