Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

Reconiliation of payment history/ audit of financial statments
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 15, 2016
USDA, Rural Development Harrisonburg, VA
Loan Technician August 2015- Present
- Audited financial statements of local communities/ towns
- Servicing to keep loans in Federal Government Compliance
- Reconcile payment history
- Evaluate repayment ability
- Compile loan application packets
Very professional setting with well qualified employees. It was all business and not mush flexibility
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 13, 2016
Very professional and strict place to work with very little flexibility. The work is according to USDA standards and procedures that our followed in accordance with the farm bill.
Pros
Schedule M-F with all federal holidays off
Cons
Strict office proceedures with no latitude available
Great Place to Grow
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 28, 2016
A great work environment, great place to work and great people to work with. This place is a great place to grow personally and work wise.
Typical Office Job
Volunteer Office Duties (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87109June 26, 2016
I loved working for the USDA they try to work with you in every way possible and provide you with what you need to get your job done efficiently. Their Management is well staffed and experienced so they are very knowledgeable and dependent. The hardest part was waiting for lunch!
Pros
To many to list compared to non Gov jobs
good working place with great employes and staff
HVI Operator (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 23, 2016
good working envirment and great people to work with. No stressing with the staff. The only thing is not good is seasonal and like the pay
Pros
good pay
Cons
its seasonal and no insurance
The Consumer is the Customer
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJune 22, 2016
While performing the duties as a Consumer Safety Inspector I was responsible for product and it's wholesomeness. It was to be unadulterated and free of contamination.

I learned that inspite of what the company or plant wanted it was my job to make sure the American Consumer was served and not the plant.

My co workers were good people and mindful of the importance of the work they did.

The hardest part of the job? Getting beyond the tediousness of the job. I enjoyed serving the public above all else.
Pros
extra breaks and union representation
Cons
a very physically demanding job
Food Inspector
Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Moultrie, GAJune 20, 2016
As a food Inspector with the Agency a typical day to was to report to my work stand and grade/inspect whole chicken carcasses as they pass the USDA Inspection station.
Public Service federal job for rural areas.
Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 18, 2016
Management could get too micro manage and only care for production instead of being people oriented.
Customer service is not their priority but making their numbers.
Coworkers are hard worker but afraid of management and losing their job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could make a difference in people's lives, and that is satisfaction enough.
Pros
stable good pay.
Cons
not people oriented. allow managemnt to oppressed and abused workers
job
OFFICE AUTOMATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2016
Successful Community Support Worker seeking opportunity to obtain a position within business where my years of experience and education can enhance the growth and success of company.
Excellent atmosphere for research
Fire Management Specialist (Fuels Planner) (Current Employee) –  Eldorado National ForestJune 2, 2016
Conducted research on mountain meadow systems in the Sierra Nevada. Used prescribed fire as a means of restoring the historic range of variability.
Working on NJ turnpike to assist travelers
Relief Sup. Public Health Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARApril 26, 2016
Started as part time/full time when in high school and thru college (able to work when returning home on breaks. People were fun to work with. Started as porter, to dish washer, to prep cook, to li ne cook, to grill cook.
Pros
Free food, fun staff
Wonderful place to work!
IT Specialist (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Raytown, MOApril 23, 2016
Everyone there is extremely friendly and very helpful to new employees. Lots of guidance and help is available if needed. Everyone there works withing a "team" mentality so no one is ever left to feel "stranded".
Sucks
Inspection & Licensing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 14, 2016
People make the place!! Those people are not the kindness people to work with!! Rude resits and don't care about each other
Pros
NONE
Cons
ALLOT
Love working here
PPQ Aid (Current Employee) –  Ponce, PRApril 13, 2016
I really like working here the only thing is that it is a limited appointant oportunity. You learn a lot about agriculture and pests, insects and other factors that affect agricultural products economically.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
night shift, temporary position
Great agency
Forestry Aid (Fire Suppression) (Former Employee) –  Spearfish, SDApril 7, 2016
I would go back to the USFS if a permanent job opportunity was offered. It was a great place to start working. I can wait to return one day to this great agency.
Great workplace that helped me develop confidence and independence.
Lab Trainee (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAApril 5, 2016
Through UGA I was able to intern at the USDA. I was not paid a salary but was given class credit as compensation. A typical day involved arriving to the lab on time with a plan for that day's procedures. The first half of the internship involved learning basic lab techniques and following protocols. The second half of the internship involved troubleshooting in order to create my own lab protocol for future interns to follow. I mostly spent my time learning from the head lab technician, but would occasionally work with the head of research if he was available. The best part about the job was learning new things related to biology and being able to think through my errors in an environment suited for student advancement.
Pros
Great employees to work with. Always helped when needed.
Cons
No compensation due to internship.
NRCS Temple
Soil Conservation Technician (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 4, 2016
The Temple office is a great place to work. The people are friendly and the work environment is good also. I have learned a lot from them and they seem to be very helpful.
Pros
Great Benefits, Good People
Have an opportunity to contribute and work with talented for a common goals.
IT DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, MDApril 2, 2016
I enjoy working with new initiatives that change/improve the operation of the organization and align with its goals and mission.
Productive, fast paced, customer service based, and great communication skill buiding
Fire Clerk (Former Employee) –  Collbran, COMarch 10, 2016
Managed internal and external phone calls from clients. Performed political web poles while in contact with clients. High resistence with biased surveys. Co-workers were very positive with seemingly infinite energy. The most enjoyable part about this job was having the opportunity to speak with great people all across the world and sharing certain job experiences with them.
Pros
constant and balanced work based environment, very active and nice co-workers
Good Work Environment
Secretary to the State Director (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 7, 2016
Positive Work Environment, Goals of agency align with personal goals, Management is knowledgeable, Work is fulfilling, Schedule allows for work/life balance
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.