Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Great place to work with good people
Forestry Tech (GS-4) (Current Employee) –  Cottage Grove, ORDecember 13, 2016
1. Long physical work days, both at the ranger station, the Umpqua National Forest, and on wildland fire dispatches.

2. What you will learn is based on the effort you put into but there is plenty of training available to all those that would like it.

3. Managed well both locally and as a district with competent people

4.Great knowledgeable coworkers, many of which have over a decade of fire experience

5. The physical work and the long hours

6. Getting to see some of the most amazing places in your area and being out in the woods nearly every day
Pros
Being Outdoors, Satisfying Work
Cons
Not Full Time, No Benefits
Employee and customer-focused organizaiton
Programming Tech (Former Employee) –  Kirksville, MOJanuary 20, 2017
The pace of the organization depends on the time of the year and if new programs or farm bills take place. Each employee has a few programs that they are in control of and are responsible for checking daily updates for new information regarding those programs. The hardest part of the job is dealing with technical malfunctions. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers daily and having the opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Flexible hours, compensation, benefits
Cons
Technical malfunctions
Gained valuable experience with a great team of coworkers
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 11, 2017
Working with Dept. of Agriculture has given me the opportunity to experience the benefits of federal employment, with work life balance and a very supportive team who has given me the time and experience needed to obtain gainful employment after completing my Bachelors degree in Psychology with minor in Human Resources.
Pros
Flexible work schedule with work home balance
Cons
No benefits as a paid intern
Positive workplace environment
NRCS Clerical Contractor/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNFebruary 16, 2017
In a government job any exuberance, hustle or willingness to work hard is met with the greatest praise and appreciation. There are large volumes of work and few people to do it.
Pros
Union level Pay and healthcare contribution of an aditional $4.27 an hour
Cons
Drab office, Large workload, bureaucracy
Assisting farmers was a privilege
District Director (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDFebruary 9, 2017
Its great to help farmers who supply the food in our grocery stores. The programs are often complicated so you need to communicate in everyday language for great customer service. The relations with the farm community was excellent.
Pros
Pay and benefits excellent.
Cons
Change in management too often for continuity of operations.
Blessed with 2 exceptional bosses
Retired Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Raton, NMDecember 8, 2016
Civil service was a very rewarding job. Enjoyed helping people, making sure their tax dollars were well used for their benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic politics.
Very informative place to work
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Mankato, KSJanuary 2, 2017
I learned so much in the year and a half that i was employed there. I love working with people. I got to meet so many different people there. I love working with the public
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short lunch break
n/a
Advance Mac Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2017
Need to better the relationships between federal employees and contractors

Contractor need the same benefits of teleworking and set budget for new or up to date support equipment
Great orginazation-Farm Service Agency
County Office Trainee (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 17, 2016
You assist landowners and farmers on a daily basis to receive government subsidies. Work with genuine people all around. Not just within the office but the producers themselves.
Benefits
Great workplace that helped me develop confidence and independence.
Lab Trainee (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAApril 5, 2016
Through UGA I was able to intern at the USDA. I was not paid a salary but was given class credit as compensation. A typical day involved arriving to the lab on time with a plan for that day's procedures. The first half of the internship involved learning basic lab techniques and following protocols. The second half of the internship involved troubleshooting in order to create my own lab protocol for future interns to follow. I mostly spent my time learning from the head lab technician, but would occasionally work with the head of research if he was available. The best part about the job was learning new things related to biology and being able to think through my errors in an environment suited for student advancement.
Pros
Great employees to work with. Always helped when needed.
Cons
No compensation due to internship.
Good place to work as long as you kiss butt of supervisors that are not qualified for there job.
Engineering Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COFebruary 13, 2017
When you do your job to best that people have ever seen and all your peers are writing e/mails to your supervisor saying what an amazing operator you are and you are suppose to be an automatic rehire for the position but you are not called back and are given no reason for not being called back. This is very poor management of the resource of the people who are in charge and do not deserve or have the credentials to be in the position they hold ! Hiring people just because they are a minority is wrong ! If you do not have the credentials or experience for the job, then you should not be considered. The forest service hires people that an individual likes, not the best qualified and this is because they themselves are not qualified for the position they hold.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
People in positions of authority or supervisors that are not qualified for the jobs they hold.
Wonderful Agency
Trainee and Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 10, 2016
The USDA FOREST SERVICE is a wonderful agency to begin a career. The agency allows applicants to gain valuable work experience as a students, veterans, limited term employee, contactor, etc. The agency has several positions for those who have a love of the outdoors and want to protect those assets. The agency has clear directives, goals, and set measurable standards for all staff. Like most federal agencies, the USDA Forest Service rewards their employees who furthers their education and seek additional training.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
some work locations are in rural areas
Easy laid back place to work.
Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Ripley, WVDecember 20, 2016
We load and unload trucks on a daily bases. We pull loads of food to be loaded on semis to be delivered to different schools state wide. Occasionally a warehouse worker will have to go over the road to assist a driver. Management is very helpful in any problems when there is a problem. This job is repetition. Lunches are free. Co workers are friendly. Really nothing hard about the job unless you cant lift at least 60 lbs. Its really an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Time off.
Cons
Health care is taking another hike.
Constant out door work, physically and mentally demanding.
Type 2 Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Estacada, ORDecember 12, 2016
Walking up and down mountains and hill sides, chopping fire line into the ground for 16 hours a day, 14 days in a row. 2 days off. Seasonal. Best shape I've ever been in. Excellent wages. Dangerous work, possibility of death or injury around every corner. Heartfelt trust between team mates, safety driven and oriented management. The hardest part was embracing the suck. The best part was sleeping at the end of a long arduous day like a newborn babe.
Fun workplace. Its a good place for professional growth. Good training ground.
Administrative Aide VI (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesSeptember 10, 2016
Department of agriculture is a government agency in the Philippines. The agency is a very good place work with because of the good management and the professionalism and respect the employees have.
Pros
Free snacks. Free seminars
Cons
Short breaks.
Productive work enviornment
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2016
Fast paced. Garnered teamwork skills that were fundamental for career development. Growth potential. Various training opportunity's. Great place to network, and reliable management to learn from.
Pros
great place to network
Awesome
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 7, 2017
This is one of the Federal departments that really takes work/life balance seriously. I am so proud to be a part of this team. I have worked for the Federal Government for almost 9 years and this is by far the best department I have worked for.
Great coworkers and decent pay
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Park Falls, WIJanuary 4, 2017
People at my particular office were very easy to work with and were always willing to help whenever I needed it. While it is well known that pay is typically lower in the public sector than in the private, it was still decent. Sometimes it was frustrating working with slow computers, since government budgets fluctuate a lot. And because I was an intern, I typically was nudged to working with the older, slower computers. Still, an enjoyable place to work, and you don't have to take your work home with you.
Interpreting
usda Trimming helper (Current Employee) –  Cromwell, KYDecember 15, 2016
By Interpreting and translating data I learned lot of experience, eventually when I work with different people from difference countries, this gave me an experience to work to all kind of people in the world.

This helped myself to keep doing more researching on the career, and also I've got so many friends.
Good place for employment.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2016
Great place to work and provide great customer service to clients. I work day for me started around 6 am in the morning. I would be the first to arrive so I was the tam member that came in and st the pace for the rest of the staff for the day. I learned how the government works and what it take to please your supervisors as well as the community. Management was more hands off, which I loved as long as you knew your expectations and performed. Co-workers, some worked just as hard as you, some did not. Some were long term, and some were not, with that approach. The hardest part was management having a difficult time making sure everything was communicated effectively and everyone on the same page. The happiest part of the job, was knowing that you save someone from losing their home are their hard earned possessions or property.
Pros
Great attitudes, great results
Cons
N/A

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2