Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Internship at USDA
Internship (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 20, 2017
I absolutely loved this internship! I learned so much about fungi and using software to analyze DNA. Everyone I worked with there was so friendly and relaxed. I was sad to leave there when the summer internship ended.
Great employees to work with
Housing Loan Technician/Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEAugust 19, 2017
As a Multi-family Tech, I worked with the Property Managers to assist with all the rental changes that were required in the system and any other changes needing for their inputting data into the proper computer program. As the Systems Admin for the office, I maintained all the software changes to the network and made sure that all computers were updated with the proper settings ans software needed to perform their duties in the proper manner. I also reviewed the websites employees were using to ensure they were within the proper guidelines and blocked those that were being used illegally.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Could be stressful when multi-tasking duties.
productive and fun place to work
Senior Automation Test engineer (Current Employee) –  Raytown, MOAugust 19, 2017
slow steady at the work and most enjoyable place to work.
learning opportunities are high

Good place to work.

Job security is good only if budget is allocated,
An amazing government program
Forestry Technician (Recreation) (Former Employee) –  Alpine, AZ 85920August 18, 2017
Working for the forest service is my ultimate job, i volunteered there during winter to gain valuable skills. I would at any chace seize the opportunity to be employed by the USFS.
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours?
Busy yet quiet work environment
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2017
Typically my work day consists of providing loan servicing and guidance to loan applicants and borrowers. Also review and approve requisitions and reconciliations between financial systems.
I work in a central information hub where many coworkers come to get financial information. The workplace culture is very relaxed and the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help other departments get the information they need to do their job successfully.
A Great place to work
Government Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2017
Its a great job to teach yourself about people skills and the job is very relaxed and its a confrontable environment to be in you work at your own pace.
Great Staff
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cascade, IDAugust 13, 2017
For the most part, the staff was great to work with. The workload was not very challenging, and opportunities for advancement were few within our ranger district.
Fun Place to work
Biological Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLAugust 13, 2017
If you like the lab and are great in genetics, definitly the place for you. Also the place for you if you love the outdoors, I work out in the field working with the citrus trees, I love it out there. I have learned a lot about the citrus industry and the diseases affecting it.
Nice
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 13, 2017
nice environment. All clerical work. I dealt with inspection reports and had incoming calls regarding their report. Full time eight to five type of job
Enjoyable and satisfying work until the presidential administration changed.
ORISE Economic Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 10, 2017
The federal government is only as rewarding as the Administration in charge. Shifting priorities could ultimately change your day-to-day job considerably, making it more difficult to get the work done with fewer resources.
Amazing place to work
APHIS Intern (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, NCAugust 8, 2017
I enjoyed working here while being a full time student.
They accommodated to my schedule well and allowed me the adequate amount of time to finish my projects that I was working on.
Work / life balance
Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2017
I like the mission of the agency and the work environment. it is a positive atmosphere and opportunities to work / transfer to other agencies within the department (as long as you are qualified).
Pros
location, cafeterias, gym, telework
Cons
location, traffic into DC
long hours hard work
Title II Blue Card Wild Land Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 4, 2017
Worked for two seasons. Very hard work sometimes, sometimes very easy community service type work. It was a very good job for a student because it was seasonal from April to about October.
Pros
constantly in nature
Cons
2 weeks of work without being able to come home
Usda
Area Technician (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NCAugust 1, 2017
The USDA is a nice place to work. They are veteran friendly. Staff is always willing to assist when you are in need of help. Equal opportunity is practiced and promoted at all times.
Great position
Temp (Former Employee) –  Raymore, MOJuly 30, 2017
Really enjoyed the job and just wish i had the opportunity to keep working there. was really laid back and easy to work with employees to get work done!
Temporary Program Assistant
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  York, PAJuly 24, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed working for the USDA, however the job can become mundane for some who enjoy working outside of an office setting. Meeting farmers is the highlight of the job.
Pros
The producers
Cons
Office setting
i was contracted at night
R/F NETWORK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2017
i was a contractor at night. did not work full time during daytime. i wouldnt know how it is to work for them.. i was a contractor.......i did not work with main employees
Pros
i worked at night
Cons
i was not in main population..worked at night
Good work situation
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILJuly 17, 2017
Opportunity to help rural people build a better life
Helped towns provide water and sewer at reasonable cost
Good benefits with opportunity to advance
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Politics
Biological Science Aid-Vegetation Crew (GS-02) (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 17, 2017
Hard work in the field, but rewarding. Got to get experience in data entry and methodical, tedious work. My crew was easy to get along with and work with.
Productive place to work
Senior SAS BI Developer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2017
Very High technology used. (Creating and deploying SAS Stored procedures). Highly technical Government staff, very intelligent people and the work was very gratifying.
Pros
Great up to date technology
Cons
there really aren't many.. location isn't great.