Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

little to no initiative, menial tasks
Grants and Agreement Intern (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXAugust 24, 2016
little to no urgency in when tasks need to be completed, assigned menial tasks and often delayed projects due to the progress of others
loved working with the producers
Temporary Program Technician, USDA (Current Employee) –  Sidney, IAAugust 21, 2016
technical information relating to the farm bill, loading and updated producers data. working with a variety of software.educating and assisting producers with crop certification, contracts etc.
Personnel Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2016
Day to day work tempo is always on a steady pace, with people that are about the mission. From the top to the bottom, the team concept is used and we are all readily available for any && ever ask given to us
Wonderful Stepping Stone and Working Environment
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 18, 2016
A typical work day consists of sifting through e-mails, answering and routing phone calls, assisting all of the employees of Methods Development’s needs, routing calls and visitor’s for my supervisor, assisting in other departments with travels, purchasing and any questions. Scheduling and preparing for meetings, reviewing our many cooperative agreements budgets, attending meetings, prioritizing my daily tasks.
I am fortunate to have been given the opportunity to learn and acquire many skills working for the state of Florida, some of which are learning new programs and databases, Microsoft products, purchasing and the guidelines, preparing and processing travels, interacting with many other divisions and agencies, budgets and cooperative agreements, taking tasks head on and prioritizing my agenda.
Management has always been amazing where I have worked, with an open door policy and an open ear. Quick to take into account a multitude of ideas from our many committees as well as being involved when needed.
As for my coworkers, supervisor’s included – we are a family here. We all help out when needed, no matter what department or division. There are many different aspects from administrative, to inspectors, scientists, lab techs that interact every day, all day and are never too busy to talk shop, help out if needed or make plans to help a coworker move that weekend.
The hardest part of my job is when we run out of coffee. I love every aspect of my job, and find nothing difficult about a challenge.
The most enjoyable part about my job would be the fast paced, heavy traffic,
  more... unknown challenges that I deal with on a daily basis. It is what I thrive at, and my coworkers (family) are an extra added bonus.  less
productive fun place to work at
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2016
It was a chill laid back environment to work at and very productive.
Management is very good with letting you figure things out yourself but sets attained goals
Good Company
Sr.Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 15, 2016
it is an government company and has nice project team and it is Well structured, safe, great coworkers and bosses.overall it is a good company where we can gain some knowledge.
high energy great job with and wonderful team to work with
SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Stoneville, MSAugust 3, 2016
typical day was working in the crops irrigating or weeding them. I learned how to irrigate as well as some shop duties while working with grinders and other tools. my managers where excellent people and very patient. hardest part of the job was the heat at times. most enjoyable was the team I was part of.
Pros
teamwork aspect
Cons
Very productive and Friendly work environment. I really enjoyed the work ethics and learned a lot both professional and personal level.
SAP SD/CRM consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2016
Good place for employment.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2016
Great place to work and provide great customer service to clients. I work day for me started around 6 am in the morning. I would be the first to arrive so I was the tam member that came in and st the pace for the rest of the staff for the day. I learned how the government works and what it take to please your supervisors as well as the community. Management was more hands off, which I loved as long as you knew your expectations and performed. Co-workers, some worked just as hard as you, some did not. Some were long term, and some were not, with that approach. The hardest part was management having a difficult time making sure everything was communicated effectively and everyone on the same page. The happiest part of the job, was knowing that you save someone from losing their home are their hard earned possessions or property.
Pros
Great attitudes, great results
Cons
N/A
Reconiliation of payment history/ audit of financial statments
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 15, 2016
USDA, Rural Development Harrisonburg, VA
Loan Technician August 2015- Present
- Audited financial statements of local communities/ towns
- Servicing to keep loans in Federal Government Compliance
- Reconcile payment history
- Evaluate repayment ability
- Compile loan application packets
Very professional setting with well qualified employees. It was all business and not mush flexibility
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 13, 2016
Very professional and strict place to work with very little flexibility. The work is according to USDA standards and procedures that our followed in accordance with the farm bill.
Pros
Schedule M-F with all federal holidays off
Cons
Strict office proceedures with no latitude available
Great Place to Grow
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 28, 2016
A great work environment, great place to work and great people to work with. This place is a great place to grow personally and work wise.
Typical Office Job
Volunteer Office Duties (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87109June 26, 2016
I loved working for the USDA they try to work with you in every way possible and provide you with what you need to get your job done efficiently. Their Management is well staffed and experienced so they are very knowledgeable and dependent. The hardest part was waiting for lunch!
Pros
To many to list compared to non Gov jobs
good working place with great employes and staff
HVI Operator (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 23, 2016
good working envirment and great people to work with. No stressing with the staff. The only thing is not good is seasonal and like the pay
Pros
good pay
Cons
its seasonal and no insurance
The Consumer is the Customer
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJune 22, 2016
While performing the duties as a Consumer Safety Inspector I was responsible for product and it's wholesomeness. It was to be unadulterated and free of contamination.

I learned that inspite of what the company or plant wanted it was my job to make sure the American Consumer was served and not the plant.

My co workers were good people and mindful of the importance of the work they did.

The hardest part of the job? Getting beyond the tediousness of the job. I enjoyed serving the public above all else.
Pros
extra breaks and union representation
Cons
a very physically demanding job
Food Inspector
Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Moultrie, GAJune 20, 2016
As a food Inspector with the Agency a typical day to was to report to my work stand and grade/inspect whole chicken carcasses as they pass the USDA Inspection station.
Public Service federal job for rural areas.
Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 18, 2016
Management could get too micro manage and only care for production instead of being people oriented.
Customer service is not their priority but making their numbers.
Coworkers are hard worker but afraid of management and losing their job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could make a difference in people's lives, and that is satisfaction enough.
Pros
stable good pay.
Cons
not people oriented. allow managemnt to oppressed and abused workers
job
OFFICE AUTOMATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2016
Successful Community Support Worker seeking opportunity to obtain a position within business where my years of experience and education can enhance the growth and success of company.
Excellent atmosphere for research
Fire Management Specialist (Fuels Planner) (Current Employee) –  Eldorado National ForestJune 2, 2016
Conducted research on mountain meadow systems in the Sierra Nevada. Used prescribed fire as a means of restoring the historic range of variability.
Working on NJ turnpike to assist travelers
Relief Sup. Public Health Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARApril 26, 2016
Started as part time/full time when in high school and thru college (able to work when returning home on breaks. People were fun to work with. Started as porter, to dish washer, to prep cook, to li ne cook, to grill cook.
Pros
Free food, fun staff

4.2