Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employer Reviews

Work place is nice and very friendly
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee), Wyndmoor, PAMarch 23, 2015
I am very happy to work with different culture people and environment.I enjoyed the work at all the time. I take problems as challenging and sportive task. I always finished my work with in the time line. Management was very good and helpful to me in other works. My colleagues are so nice and friendly. I used to discuss with them when I was having a problem with my work and they explained me very friendly how to solve the problems. The most enjoyable day was Once I finished my work successfully with in time line.
Review
Contractor (Former Employee), woodlawn, MDMarch 22, 2015
Overall a great job with great pay and benifits. My primary job was to scan documents and enter data based on new employee files. My Co-workers were very friendly. Within the last year I became a new mom, and due to illness being passed from mother to son there were too many days I began to missdue to my child's illnesses and my own which caused my termination.
I enjoyed my time there
Meat Inspector (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2015
This job is great for anyone wanting to work for the state. Job requirements can be easily met. Gives you the opportunity to meet new people and friends. I didn't care for the slaughter side of the job.
Very good just out of college experience
Statistician (Former Employee), Athens, GAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: opportunity to advance
Cons: many government regulations
This position allowed me to gain some management experience as well as travel within the US. Enjoyed working with the staff and learned a great deal about the State of Georgia during my tenure. Was a pleasant working experience.
good leadership
Firefighter Type (Former Employee), Douglas, WYMarch 10, 2015
perfect place to start out in the fire world, offered endless schooling and things to do to broaden knowledge and advance in the field
excellent work place
BA/QA (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 5, 2015
feeling very happy to work with my colleagues, and with my company president.Friendly environment no attitude totally excellent work place.I have learned about a new tool PEGA that i never worked before. Even our development team was very friendly they let us know about their environment quickly and easiest way.
Great for Advancement
Budget Technician (Current Employee), Hilo, HIMarch 3, 2015
Diversity.
Learned to be more organized and always prioritize tasks. Enjoy co-workers in a safe environment. Great upper level supervisors in HQ who will listen.
Top heavy, needs more of us at the bottom.
Recreation Technician (Current Employee), Silver Springs, FLFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: easy work.
Cons: racism. sexism. favoritism.
Not sure what the mission is some days... things often not getting done. Things not getting done in a timely manner.

Most jobs getting done seem to revolve around volunteers doing work for free...

Absentee, hands off type top level bosses.... allowing mid level managers to show favoritism... Mid level lack of patience in subordinates work, making for constant changing of responsibilities....

Overall job satisfaction in company low....
great experience
Lead Firefighter Engine (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDFebruary 18, 2015
If you like a rush at work and each day to be different then this is the best job. Enjoyed my crew and being a leader to them. They really make sure that they provide the best training and help you move up.
good company
Federal executive (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 18, 2015
USDA is a great branch of the US Government to work for. They offer great benefits and development programs for their employees. I would recommend working for them.
USDA / NASS Work Report
Enumerator (Former Employee), USDA/NASS of Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: nice work place
Cons: the job was only temporary
I worked for the USDA / NASS between October of 2007 to the end of June in 2008. This was a temporary job for the purpose of doing the 2008 U.S. Farm Census. Our job was to gather Data to complete the U.S. Farm Census for ALL U.S. Farms whether small, medium or large. This was done at a "Call Center" and we would either call the farmer or they would call us (sometimes both). I was paid ten dollars an hour to finish the Farm Census. My responsibilities as an "Enumerator" were to gather farm census information via phone calls, and to log data on the computer for the Department of the USDA / NASS. We finished early, so I was released from my duties at the end of June 2008.
Learned and enjoyed all aspects of H/R and working with the public
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee), Montrose, COJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: flexible working schedule. must have 80 hours per pay period accountable.
Cons: job security
Entering all employee time sheets into Gov't. system; took notes/transcribed from meetings or conference calls; working front desk; coordinating travel for all employees; updating spreadsheets for training and entering fleet mileage into data base monthly.

I learned difficult gov't. computer programs; how to work as a team to accomplish goals; took many Gov't. on-line training programs to better myself as an Administrative Assistant.

Management was very thorough and helpful. Management was confident that I would take on and accomplish the work load that she was not able to handle. When introducing a new project, she was always very clear on what to do, how and when. After that, I did not need direction. I was always rated "Above Average" on my performance reviews.

My co-workers were very focused, positive and upbeat. Each Department (Rec/Trails, Timber and Range) always had something interesting for me to tackle.

The hardest part of the job was learning about the Wildland Fire Fighting Program. I was responsible for five (5) Ranger Districts. I had days of training on the Gov't. system. I worked with the FFMO when we introduced the Job Corps (Collbran) students into the Wildland Fire Fighting Program. There were pack tests and 40 hours of written training for the 25+ students to qualify.

Working with the Wildland Fire Fighting Program was the most enjoyable and satisfying part of my job. I also enjoyed working with the public coming into the front office and over the telephone.
Productive and fun place
Clerk/Accountant Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: lunch with co-workers on a weekly basis to show appreciation
Cons: no cons
-A typical work day, answering phones and reacting with customers.
-Learned customer skills, and data entry dealing with Accounting.
-Management was wonderful and very helpful.
-Co-workers were very helpful.
-There weren't many hard parts.
-Working for the company was enjoyable, learning and helping customers.
A great summer job
Information Receptionist
 (Former Employee), Idaho Springs, COJanuary 28, 2015
I enjoyed working with visitors and my coworkers. Unfortunately, the job is a temporary/seasonal one (May-September).
Fun group of people to work with
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Pullman, WAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: fun people. passionate work
Cons: long work days. occasional 50+ hour weeks
Everyone is passionate about their work. Above average communication between employees working on different projects.
Family type setting
Resource Management Assistant (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: dinners and cookie exchanges
Cons: overbearing district manager
The job is very filling and the work force is very diverse. Fast pace and joyous days. Some days are more demanding than others but most days are laid back and that gives you the opportunity to work through your day more productively.
My most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am servicing our field food inspectors with the things that they need on a daily basis such as tracking their appraisals and time and attendance, processing their travel and expenditures for purchases of equipment that they need on a daily basis.
Rewarding and Fun
Farm Loan Program Technician (Former Employee), Canton, NYJanuary 19, 2015
Working for USDA helped keep me linked to my family when I was living so far from home. This job was fun and never had the same day twice in a row.
Good pay, lousy everything else
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Mankato, MNJanuary 16, 2015
USDA is stuck in a 1990s model for IT management. They demand that every technician succeed or fail on their own while not providing standards to adhere to.

On several occasions, it was literally stated, in national teleconferences, that, "if you don't like how we do business, you can be replaced."
Great Working Experience
Information Receptionist (Current Employee), Mountain Home, IDJanuary 7, 2015
I loved going to work. A great staff of people, and great management. There were often tense moments with the forest fires and occasional unhappy consumers. But worked with a great team and loved working with the public and my coworkers. I did a lot of projects for the Forest Ranger and loved it!
Exciting place to work
Biological Science Aide/Intern (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJanuary 4, 2015
Daily I do DNA extractions on maize or cotton cultures of aspergillus flavus. It includes constant individual and team efforts to get the job done and invloves excessive communications with management and my co workers to get the job done effectively and efficiently

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Agriculture

We provide leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues based on sound – Read more

Department of Agriculture Photos