Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Customer Service
Contract Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 18, 2017
I love working for the agency as far as providing contractual service to customers. All of the coworkers were very helpful. The hardest part of my job was my contract company and not getting paid on time.
Pros
working with people
Cons
not getting paid by contract company on time
n/a
Advance Mac Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2017
Need to better the relationships between federal employees and contractors

Contractor need the same benefits of teleworking and set budget for new or up to date support equipment
Decent place to start
Information Security Officer Zolon Tech (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 12, 2017
It was an ok place to work but may not be right for younger employees as most of the people that work there are either in their 30s or their 40s. The culture may not be right for everyone especially if you are younger
Great coworkers and decent pay
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Park Falls, WIJanuary 4, 2017
People at my particular office were very easy to work with and were always willing to help whenever I needed it. While it is well known that pay is typically lower in the public sector than in the private, it was still decent. Sometimes it was frustrating working with slow computers, since government budgets fluctuate a lot. And because I was an intern, I typically was nudged to working with the older, slower computers. Still, an enjoyable place to work, and you don't have to take your work home with you.
Loan Specialist, helping small communities succeed
Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WY 82240January 3, 2017
Recruit and promote USDA Rural Development Programs.
Process application, financial analysis, underwriting, closing and servicing of loans. Public speaking and relationship building.
Pros
Public Servent helping comminities
Cons
Poor Managment
Very informative place to work
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Mankato, KSJanuary 2, 2017
I learned so much in the year and a half that i was employed there. I love working with people. I got to meet so many different people there. I love working with the public
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short lunch break
I enjoy going to work everyday
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boone, IADecember 21, 2016
There are so much to learn about conservation. My days go very fast due to the workload i have. I get all govt holidays off.
productive place to work and enjoy working there.
PA Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 21, 2016
I have learned that it take everybody work ethics and skills to get the job done. The management and employers are very awesome to work with and communicate with each work day.
Easy laid back place to work.
Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Ripley, WVDecember 20, 2016
We load and unload trucks on a daily bases. We pull loads of food to be loaded on semis to be delivered to different schools state wide. Occasionally a warehouse worker will have to go over the road to assist a driver. Management is very helpful in any problems when there is a problem. This job is repetition. Lunches are free. Co workers are friendly. Really nothing hard about the job unless you cant lift at least 60 lbs. Its really an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Time off.
Cons
Health care is taking another hike.
Interpreting
usda Trimming helper (Current Employee) –  Cromwell, KYDecember 15, 2016
By Interpreting and translating data I learned lot of experience, eventually when I work with different people from difference countries, this gave me an experience to work to all kind of people in the world.

This helped myself to keep doing more researching on the career, and also I've got so many friends.
Great place to work with good people
Forestry Tech (GS-4) (Current Employee) –  Cottage Grove, ORDecember 13, 2016
1. Long physical work days, both at the ranger station, the Umpqua National Forest, and on wildland fire dispatches.

2. What you will learn is based on the effort you put into but there is plenty of training available to all those that would like it.

3. Managed well both locally and as a district with competent people

4.Great knowledgeable coworkers, many of which have over a decade of fire experience

5. The physical work and the long hours

6. Getting to see some of the most amazing places in your area and being out in the woods nearly every day
Pros
Being Outdoors, Satisfying Work
Cons
Not Full Time, No Benefits
Constant out door work, physically and mentally demanding.
Type 2 Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Estacada, ORDecember 12, 2016
Walking up and down mountains and hill sides, chopping fire line into the ground for 16 hours a day, 14 days in a row. 2 days off. Seasonal. Best shape I've ever been in. Excellent wages. Dangerous work, possibility of death or injury around every corner. Heartfelt trust between team mates, safety driven and oriented management. The hardest part was embracing the suck. The best part was sleeping at the end of a long arduous day like a newborn babe.
Well managed and fun environment to work in
Forestry Technician, Timber Sales Prep (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTDecember 10, 2016
As a timber cruiser aide, my duties included helping navigate, reading and interpreting timber cruise and sale maps, laying out and marking sale boundaries, marking trees based on prescription, aiding with timber cruising, and other general duties assigned. My overall work experience with this organization was very positive, I enjoyed my assignment and valued the experience that I gained.
Blessed with 2 exceptional bosses
Retired Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Raton, NMDecember 8, 2016
Civil service was a very rewarding job. Enjoyed helping people, making sure their tax dollars were well used for their benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic politics.
It was ok.
Inspector and Sorter (Former Employee) –  Lydia, SCDecember 7, 2016
It was a place to work not to have fun. All we had to do is get work done and get theought the day we weight peanuts n test them to see if they were good are bad to sell.
Never worked there
Never been employed (Current Employee) –  Never workedNovember 28, 2016
I never worked for the Department of AG. I dont know why this agency popped up. there is not review to say. blah blah blah nothing to say. Never worked at this agency.
Great orginazation-Farm Service Agency
County Office Trainee (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 17, 2016
You assist landowners and farmers on a daily basis to receive government subsidies. Work with genuine people all around. Not just within the office but the producers themselves.
Benefits
Independent work place.
Federal Trapper (Current Employee) –  Sawyer County, WINovember 5, 2016
This is an independent work environment. I have had the opportunity to give workshops for co-workers and other state employees. I have learned how to manage my time and work with many organizations.
Loved helping farmers and ranchers with farm programs!
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXOctober 27, 2016
Loved the job each time I worked for the agency. From helping with customer service and learning new things to help farmers and ranchers. A great place to work at!!
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Needs more funding so they can keep employees
Productive and friendly workplace
Loan Specialist (GS-9) (Former Employee) –  Redmond, OR 97756October 23, 2016
The incumbent possesses knowledge of the principles, practices, concepts and theories of law (Federal and State), regulations, and policies as they relate to the servicing and liquidation of guaranteed loans. The incumbent uses this knowledge and skill to apply techniques to obtain and evaluate a borrower's ability (or lack thereof) to reinstate a delinquent loan and to conclude whether a borrower has the potential to repay the loan.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2