Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture United States Employee Reviews

Slow atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Franklin, NEApril 23, 2015
Pros: Friendly Environment
Cons: Slow pace
I learned how to find the prices increase or decrease on certain crops for our location. Also how to distribute the correct amount of cash to the appropriate client for their crops turned in at that specific time frame.
Generous with benefits and time off.
Program Technician (Current Employee), Bay City, MIApril 21, 2015
Pros: Always Learning
Cons: Delay in program implementations
Ten hour days administering Government policies and procedures. We are a small office which can be nice. I like interacting with our large customer base.
Great place to work in Fort Collins
Biological Science Technician (Current Employee), Fort Collins, COApril 19, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: Politics
Great facilities, people and research community. It's perfect work, life balance when living in Fort Collins. Rarely need to work overtime and well funded research facility.
Productive and fun workplace with flexible schedule.
Social Service Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee), Laona, WIApril 16, 2015
Pros: Lunch time not regulated as long as tasks are completed
Cons: Free lunch not provided
The focus was on tasks at hand. Learned to embrace diversity, including diverse management style. Supervised subordinates with high degree of respect to the agency policy and remarkable work ethic. Even though not knowing what to expect each day at work was challenging, however, working with knowledgeable people was fun.
Good place to get started
Data Recorder (Current Employee), Fort Collins, COApril 10, 2015
I work here as a student and it's a good job to feel like you're contributing to the safety of the nation. I am considered a contractor instead of a full time employee, so I don't go through most of the training, but I've heard that there is lots of support and education that goes on for employees.
Simply AMAZING!
Program Technician (Former Employee), PRApril 8, 2015
Pros: Everything!
Cons: Limited appointment position
Loved working with USDA.
You can learn something new everyday. Get amazing experiences.
People at the office were great!
Just great!
Overall rating good
Rural Development Specialist/Loan Approval (Former Employee), Poplar Bluff, MOApril 6, 2015
Pros: Excellent pay and benefits
Cons: Not enough help to cover all duties due to budget cuts
A typical day at work. Reviewing daily activities to be completed such as taking applications for housing repair and purchase loans. Determining dead lines for eligibility reviews and housing inspections. Ordering residential mortgage credit reports, reviewing credit reports. Mailing verifications to employers, financial institutions, landlords, and references. I have learned several things through my job as a Technician and a Specialist. How to take a application from start to finish and enter into the computer data base. Determining eligibility based on income, credit, and repayment ability. I enjoyed working with my co-workers as we worked as a team. Most of the management were understanding and helped with problems in anyway they could. Some managers did not respond in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was turning down an application for a family in need because they did not qualify for a housing repair loan or a purchase loan. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping families become homeowners for the first time and a child saying they have their very own bedroom now.
Work place is nice and very friendly
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee), Wyndmoor, PAMarch 23, 2015
I am very happy to work with different culture people and environment.I enjoyed the work at all the time. I take problems as challenging and sportive task. I always finished my work with in the time line. Management was very good and helpful to me in other works. My colleagues are so nice and friendly. I used to discuss with them when I was having a problem with my work and they explained me very friendly how to solve the problems. The most enjoyable day was Once I finished my work successfully with in time line.
Review
Contractor (Former Employee), woodlawn, MDMarch 22, 2015
Overall a great job with great pay and benifits. My primary job was to scan documents and enter data based on new employee files. My Co-workers were very friendly. Within the last year I became a new mom, and due to illness being passed from mother to son there were too many days I began to missdue to my child's illnesses and my own which caused my termination.
I enjoyed my time there
Meat Inspector (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2015
This job is great for anyone wanting to work for the state. Job requirements can be easily met. Gives you the opportunity to meet new people and friends. I didn't care for the slaughter side of the job.
Very good just out of college experience
Statistician (Former Employee), Athens, GAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: opportunity to advance
Cons: many government regulations
This position allowed me to gain some management experience as well as travel within the US. Enjoyed working with the staff and learned a great deal about the State of Georgia during my tenure. Was a pleasant working experience.
good leadership
Firefighter Type (Former Employee), Douglas, WYMarch 10, 2015
perfect place to start out in the fire world, offered endless schooling and things to do to broaden knowledge and advance in the field
excellent work place
BA/QA (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 5, 2015
feeling very happy to work with my colleagues, and with my company president.Friendly environment no attitude totally excellent work place.I have learned about a new tool PEGA that i never worked before. Even our development team was very friendly they let us know about their environment quickly and easiest way.
Great for Advancement
Budget Technician (Current Employee), Hilo, HIMarch 3, 2015
Diversity.
Learned to be more organized and always prioritize tasks. Enjoy co-workers in a safe environment. Great upper level supervisors in HQ who will listen.
Top heavy, needs more of us at the bottom.
Recreation Technician (Current Employee), Silver Springs, FLFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: easy work.
Cons: racism. sexism. favoritism.
Not sure what the mission is some days... things often not getting done. Things not getting done in a timely manner.

Most jobs getting done seem to revolve around volunteers doing work for free...

Absentee, hands off type top level bosses.... allowing mid level managers to show favoritism... Mid level lack of patience in subordinates work, making for constant changing of responsibilities....

Overall job satisfaction in company low....
great experience
Lead Firefighter Engine (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDFebruary 18, 2015
If you like a rush at work and each day to be different then this is the best job. Enjoyed my crew and being a leader to them. They really make sure that they provide the best training and help you move up.
good company
Federal executive (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 18, 2015
USDA is a great branch of the US Government to work for. They offer great benefits and development programs for their employees. I would recommend working for them.
USDA / NASS Work Report
Enumerator (Former Employee), USDA/NASS of Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: nice work place
Cons: the job was only temporary
I worked for the USDA / NASS between October of 2007 to the end of June in 2008. This was a temporary job for the purpose of doing the 2008 U.S. Farm Census. Our job was to gather Data to complete the U.S. Farm Census for ALL U.S. Farms whether small, medium or large. This was done at a "Call Center" and we would either call the farmer or they would call us (sometimes both). I was paid ten dollars an hour to finish the Farm Census. My responsibilities as an "Enumerator" were to gather farm census information via phone calls, and to log data on the computer for the Department of the USDA / NASS. We finished early, so I was released from my duties at the end of June 2008.
Learned and enjoyed all aspects of H/R and working with the public
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee), Montrose, COJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: flexible working schedule. must have 80 hours per pay period accountable.
Cons: job security
Entering all employee time sheets into Gov't. system; took notes/transcribed from meetings or conference calls; working front desk; coordinating travel for all employees; updating spreadsheets for training and entering fleet mileage into data base monthly.

I learned difficult gov't. computer programs; how to work as a team to accomplish goals; took many Gov't. on-line training programs to better myself as an Administrative Assistant.

Management was very thorough and helpful. Management was confident that I would take on and accomplish the work load that she was not able to handle. When introducing a new project, she was always very clear on what to do, how and when. After that, I did not need direction. I was always rated "Above Average" on my performance reviews.

My co-workers were very focused, positive and upbeat. Each Department (Rec/Trails, Timber and Range) always had something interesting for me to tackle.

The hardest part of the job was learning about the Wildland Fire Fighting Program. I was responsible for five (5) Ranger Districts. I had days of training on the Gov't. system. I worked with the FFMO when we introduced the Job Corps (Collbran) students into the Wildland Fire Fighting Program. There were pack tests and 40 hours of written training for the 25+ students to qualify.

Working with the Wildland Fire Fighting Program was the most enjoyable and satisfying part of my job. I also enjoyed working with the public coming into the front office and over the telephone.
Productive and fun place
Clerk/Accountant Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: lunch with co-workers on a weekly basis to show appreciation
Cons: no cons
-A typical work day, answering phones and reacting with customers.
-Learned customer skills, and data entry dealing with Accounting.
-Management was wonderful and very helpful.
-Co-workers were very helpful.
-There weren't many hard parts.
-Working for the company was enjoyable, learning and helping customers.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Agriculture

We provide leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues based on sound – Read more

Department of Agriculture Salaries

Budget Analyst
$82,961 per year

Department of Agriculture Photos

Montana
I was with my co-worker attending founding anniversary in Pagadian City, Philippines