Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Good place to start working at
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Las Cruces, NMMay 27, 2015
They are very friendly and welcoming new employees.
Free breakfast on Mondays. Social gathering. Cool people.
Nice working area.Good for start a job.
a very productive workplace an fun to work
Greenhouse Worker (Former Employee), Alderson, WVMay 19, 2015
Pros: free lunches, health insurance
Cons: not alot of work in the winter
planted grass, trees, flowers, shrubs for companies all over the country. planted grasses along rivers banks from keeping them from washing away.
The environment allowed self expression inclusion and the ability to brainstorm
Human Resources Specialist (L/R) (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 16, 2015
The position was enthralling but limited with respect to diversity. The vision was to limit crossover which deflated most on how to transition from one specialty to another.
Agile, Scrum/Kanban, Project Management
Scrum Master/Agile Project Manager (Current Employee), DC Metro AreaMay 15, 2015
-Learned and practiced management style
-Provided servant leadership
-Work Breakdown
-Achieved milestones
-Excellent team work
- Agile PM
- Scrum/Kanban Practice
-Cross functional team
-Practicing 5 core agile values
-Utilizing predictive tool for defect management
Ever Changing and Political
Program Technician (Former Employee), Meadville, PAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Free Learning
Cons: Not enough communication at upper levels.
Department of Agriculture has many agencies within the confines of their title. Each division works for the betterment of the Agricultural community. Farm Bills are written and put in place, then different divisions administer the rules and regulations required. The Farm Service Agency works daily with the producers to teach compliance and eligibility. You are constantly learning new regulation and assisting with paperwork. This agency consists of very small 3-4 person county offices. In a given day, you could travel to farms, accept and process loans, disburse earned payments, accept and balance monthly statements, work with the producer at the counter. I enjoyed the constant learning. Management encouraged me to volunteer and take as much free training as possible. The most rewarding part of my day was working directly with the producers where I could explain programs and make them understand the purpose of the farm programs.
it was educational highly professional job
FEDERAL PROTECTION SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee), Beltsville, MDMay 14, 2015
Pros: good training and teamwork
Cons: alot of paperwork
Monitored federal grounds, facility and protected personnel, following policies and regulations of agency. And i responded to alarms backing follow co-workers up handle trouble people escorting them off property
Very helpful
GIS/Forestry Intern (Former Employee), Pierre, SDMay 1, 2015
I would mostly due GIS work. My boss would always make sure I would understand a project before I started on one. The hardest part was learning how to identify trees.
Meaningful work but less than desirable work environment
Pathways Intern Economist (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 27, 2015
Wonderful colleagues and meaningful work, but the bureaucracy and inefficiencies of working for the federal government can be very frustrating.
Slow atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Franklin, NEApril 23, 2015
Pros: Friendly Environment
Cons: Slow pace
I learned how to find the prices increase or decrease on certain crops for our location. Also how to distribute the correct amount of cash to the appropriate client for their crops turned in at that specific time frame.
Generous with benefits and time off.
Program Technician (Current Employee), Bay City, MIApril 21, 2015
Pros: Always Learning
Cons: Delay in program implementations
Ten hour days administering Government policies and procedures. We are a small office which can be nice. I like interacting with our large customer base.
Great place to work in Fort Collins
Biological Science Technician (Current Employee), Fort Collins, COApril 19, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: Politics
Great facilities, people and research community. It's perfect work, life balance when living in Fort Collins. Rarely need to work overtime and well funded research facility.
Productive and fun workplace with flexible schedule.
Social Service Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee), Laona, WIApril 16, 2015
Pros: Lunch time not regulated as long as tasks are completed
Cons: Free lunch not provided
The focus was on tasks at hand. Learned to embrace diversity, including diverse management style. Supervised subordinates with high degree of respect to the agency policy and remarkable work ethic. Even though not knowing what to expect each day at work was challenging, however, working with knowledgeable people was fun.
Good place to get started
Data Recorder (Current Employee), Fort Collins, COApril 10, 2015
I work here as a student and it's a good job to feel like you're contributing to the safety of the nation. I am considered a contractor instead of a full time employee, so I don't go through most of the training, but I've heard that there is lots of support and education that goes on for employees.
Simply AMAZING!
Program Technician (Former Employee), PRApril 8, 2015
Pros: Everything!
Cons: Limited appointment position
Loved working with USDA.
You can learn something new everyday. Get amazing experiences.
People at the office were great!
Just great!
Overall rating good
Rural Development Specialist/Loan Approval (Former Employee), Poplar Bluff, MOApril 6, 2015
Pros: Excellent pay and benefits
Cons: Not enough help to cover all duties due to budget cuts
A typical day at work. Reviewing daily activities to be completed such as taking applications for housing repair and purchase loans. Determining dead lines for eligibility reviews and housing inspections. Ordering residential mortgage credit reports, reviewing credit reports. Mailing verifications to employers, financial institutions, landlords, and references. I have learned several things through my job as a Technician and a Specialist. How to take a application from start to finish and enter into the computer data base. Determining eligibility based on income, credit, and repayment ability. I enjoyed working with my co-workers as we worked as a team. Most of the management were understanding and helped with problems in anyway they could. Some managers did not respond in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was turning down an application for a family in need because they did not qualify for a housing repair loan or a purchase loan. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping families become homeowners for the first time and a child saying they have their very own bedroom now.
Work place is nice and very friendly
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee), Wyndmoor, PAMarch 23, 2015
I am very happy to work with different culture people and environment.I enjoyed the work at all the time. I take problems as challenging and sportive task. I always finished my work with in the time line. Management was very good and helpful to me in other works. My colleagues are so nice and friendly. I used to discuss with them when I was having a problem with my work and they explained me very friendly how to solve the problems. The most enjoyable day was Once I finished my work successfully with in time line.
Review
Contractor (Former Employee), woodlawn, MDMarch 22, 2015
Overall a great job with great pay and benifits. My primary job was to scan documents and enter data based on new employee files. My Co-workers were very friendly. Within the last year I became a new mom, and due to illness being passed from mother to son there were too many days I began to missdue to my child's illnesses and my own which caused my termination.
I enjoyed my time there
Meat Inspector (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2015
This job is great for anyone wanting to work for the state. Job requirements can be easily met. Gives you the opportunity to meet new people and friends. I didn't care for the slaughter side of the job.
Very good just out of college experience
Statistician (Former Employee), Athens, GAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: opportunity to advance
Cons: many government regulations
This position allowed me to gain some management experience as well as travel within the US. Enjoyed working with the staff and learned a great deal about the State of Georgia during my tenure. Was a pleasant working experience.
good leadership
Firefighter Type (Former Employee), Douglas, WYMarch 10, 2015
perfect place to start out in the fire world, offered endless schooling and things to do to broaden knowledge and advance in the field

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Agriculture

We provide leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues based on sound – Read more

Department of Agriculture Salaries

Program Technician
$40,800 per year

Department of Agriculture Photos

Montana
I was with my co-worker attending founding anniversary in Pagadian City, Philippines