Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Fun-times
Student Area Specialist Trainee (Former Employee) –  Canton, MSFebruary 5, 2016
Always good to help people in the rural area and that is what I was taught in this position. It was helpful to rural residents who wanted to own homes, start businesses and help grow the community.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
Learning Experience
Best of the best family environment
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 4, 2016
I had excellent managers the last 15 years I was there. I would not have left, except I was stuck below the level I was entitled to, due to my promotion going to someone who only got it cause he would've had to move if he didn't get it. I continued to do the job, however, he got the promotion. I dealt with it, he was a great guy, but when the opportunity arose to get the promotion at the USDI BLM, I chose to take it. It was the right choice. But, I always missed my FS family!
Pros
family environment
Cons
poor promotion potential
Privilege to serve in a refence laboratory for the United States
Biological Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2016
I am privileged to serve with a superior group of microbiologists and veterinarians, contributing to two eradication programs protecting US food sources. The environment allows for professional growth and plenty of opportunities for both scientific and leadership skills.
productive and work experience is excite
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 28, 2016
Monday thru Friday job
I learned a lot about personnel
working independently
I enjoy about the job nice co workers and also like working as a team
Pros
healthcare insurance benefits
Cons
na
Slow-pace and Relaxed
Job Shadow (Former Employee) –  Kimberly, IDJanuary 25, 2016
I job shadowed a lab technician. There was not much I could learn about benefits or other employees. The work environment was more constricted to a specific area.
Fun Work place
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron, GAJanuary 18, 2016
I would go into work at 9 o'clock am and I begin my day by preparing nutrient agar, which is a yellow powder mixed with water and after I prepare it I would place the agar in the autoclave to sterilize it and later I would wait for the flask to cool down then I would mix different bacteria into the agar to help determine which bacteria would fight off different pathogens that grow on the different crops around the area, but my focus was on peaches.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Entry level position
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJanuary 12, 2016
I was given the opportunity through a temporary job service to work at this office. My supervisors were impressed with my work and they created a entry level position in order to employee me full-time. It has been many years since I have worked there. The environment was pleasant but I needed higher pay. I advanced my title and position after being employed 2 years here.
Customer Service Friendly
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2016
Take inventory or examine merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished. Answer customers' questions about merchandise and advice customers on merchandise selection.Compare merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.Receive, open, unpack and issue sales floor merchandise.Requisition merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.
Great place to work; very quiet
Rural Development-Loan Specialist (Realty) (GS9) (Current Employee) –  Clarkesville, GAJanuary 11, 2016
I package loan for Rural Development. I am a daily decision maker in regards to the production of loan and its complete process from start to finish. I conduct appraisal reviews, Home Inspection report analysis, pre-qualification and finally loan approval
Pros
Independent
Cons
Too much work
Interesting and challenging
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Toledo District, Belize, C.AJanuary 7, 2016
Our work deals with providing agriculture services to mostly small farmers for them to improve their livelihoods. Some farmers are reluctant in accepting help mostly through projects with innovative technology for them to increase yearly income and to become competitive farmers in the agriculture value food chain.
Pros
Get to travel a lot
Cons
Transportation constraint at times to implement projects
productive work place
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXDecember 28, 2015
worked on my research
assisted my professor with research
worked as a team player
learned management techniques on poultry production
Great Mission, Poor Exectution
1. Public Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 28, 2015
USDA has a fantastic mission and tools to help Rural America. The policies and leadership are so political that the wrong people and projects are receiving assistance. Employees are not encouraged to think outside the box by management and each office is very local and very clicky.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Temporary work
Biological Science Technician GS-5 (Former Employee) –  Shaver Lake, CADecember 4, 2015
Few benefits. Temp work, unpaid overtime. Hardest part was unpaid overtime and dangerous areas to work with. Most enjoyable was being outdoors. Learned to work with others.
Very positive and happy atmosphere to work in.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIDecember 3, 2015
I loved this job. my last day is going to be really hard as I have formed close relationships with my co-workers. I love how they were so accommodating of my schedule and allowed me to work when it was convenient for my schedule.
Pros
very flexible schedule
Cons
not being able to work weekends
Great Family to be part of
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Carolina, PRDecember 3, 2015
Great agency! Very family friendly and a great environment to work in. Everyone is very nice and friendly and all supervisors respect employees just as much as they respect the director. Competitive pay and opportunities for growth.
Productive workplace with strong teambuilding mentality.
Hotshot/Handcrew or Engine Member (Former Employee) –  Ruidoso, NMDecember 1, 2015
I worked on a highly trained wildland fire hand crew called a "hotshot crew". We were dispatched to multiple wildfires over several fire seasons. A typical day at work while not on fire assignments generally consisted of training and maintenance. I learned a lot of different things ranging from wildland suppression tactics to firs aid and CPR. I had many skilled and highly trained co-workers. The most enjoyable part of this job was the opportunity to travel all over the U.S.
Pros
Travel, good pay.
Ok place to work.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 30, 2015
I make my own schedule when it comes to maintenance and appointments. Supervisor doesn't micro-manage, communication sometimes isn't always clear. Co-workers are easy to get along with and very helpful. Hardest part of job would be the deadlines we have to meet sometimes due to lack of funds. A program may need vehicles by certain date however no money is available to service vehicle by that date. Most enjoyable part of job would be making own schedule and if kids get sick not a problem taking off.
Pros
Kid friendly, make own work schedule
Cons
Lack of funds
Public Trust position
Resource Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 28, 2015
Phones, emails, scheduling, detail sheets, Travel Arrangements, vouchers. Assisting field employees and supervisors with questions and problems. Working with other departments to resolve issues.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Poor management practices
very good place to work excellent job satisfaction
District Conservationist (Former Employee) –  VariousNovember 23, 2015
you have to really believe in the program to put up with the BS. A lot of people doing good work in spite of management. Hardest part of the job is the amount of paperwork required to get anything done
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
management
Not a good experience
Audio Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redding, CANovember 22, 2015
This job was awful, boss lied to me a lot and at one point shooed me away like a dog while asking a question about an important project.
Pros
loved the work
Cons
Lied too