Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Fun job, if you enjoy driving
AG Aide (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 22, 2017
Left home at 6:00 and drove to the area that we were assigned. First couple of months were had to build traps, and place them in a geographical area, on a tree, that was assigned. Then once the areas that were assigned were filled, we had to monitor them. We drove approximately 60 miles per day inspecting and logging information into our I phones. If a Gypsy moth was found, the supervisor was informed and additional traps were place in that area.
Pros
we worked four, ten hour days.
Cons
wish season was longer.
good place to work
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Sonora, CAOctober 19, 2017
pay could be better, but they are open to cross training so there are many opportunities to learn if you are willing. having the forest as your office is a plus
Glacier technologies review
EUSC Lead Technical Support (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 19, 2017
This review is the same as the glacier technologies. Flexible and great work environment. I would recommend this place to work at......................................................................
Pros
Flexible
Cons
can become boring work
Good place to work.
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNOctober 16, 2017
Friendly co-workers. Good working environment. Worked with farmers almost every day. Had a good working relationship with other departments and agencies.
Poor management
Public Affairs Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAOctober 15, 2017
My dissatisfaction is the result of a Director who was placed in a position that they had no experience in. I don't care how good you are at managing people, if you have no experience in Accounting then you shouldn't be the Director of Accounting.
Goal oriented and dedicated to the user community
Lead IT Specialist (Customer Support) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 11, 2017
No complaints, has been a great place to work. Employees are respected and they maintain a great work balance with the employees. Participates in Cultural Transformation and other employee focused goals
Pros
Professional
Fun workplace
Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesOctober 11, 2017
I learned a lot, and i enjoy working here, but the salary is very late, and if you working in the government we expect that there is a favoritism habbit
Pros
No free
Cons
Short breaks
A great job for a team-player.
Visitor Services Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Covelo, CA 95428October 11, 2017
The Forest Service is a great career for many reasons. Job advancement is easily available for those willing to relocate. Ethical flexibility is a must.
Great experience.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stanley, IDOctober 9, 2017
Great environment to work, positive job experience and good people. Would definitely work here again. Fair treatment to employees and good hours. Thumbs up.
Over-whelming work load
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 9, 2017
Faculty and students are unappreciative of the volume of work I do. They are rude and demanding. You walk on egg shells on if you offend someone or not. Stressful and demeaning job. If you call in sick then everyone gets mad and you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful
relaxed environment; quiet work place
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 4, 2017
Work involved converting existing Cobol programs from UNIVAC to IBM versions.
Very small office. Was the only IT person present, outside of keypunch group.
Pros
worked independently
Cons
not very much challenge to job
New Experience
Information Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 4, 2017
Everyday was different. Was nice meeting so many different people & having the opportunity to do things outside of "office work" as well as learning new thing in the office.
Lab assistant
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 4, 2017
Date entry
oversaw laboratory and equipment.
supervision of biological experiments, including reproduction of cancer cells for experiments.
keep lab clean.
Pros
great for during college
Cons
it end it when I graduated
Dev't./Research - Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesOctober 1, 2017
Every Monday at office typically we've a lot of assignments need to be accomplished, we have meetings within the management, reporting to the top management with regards to what should I accomplished in my post travel. The management is great and helpful to me to grow with my profession, they uplift my working ethics due to high expectations in me on what can I contribute with our projects. I've enjoyed the most when I am at field (Project site), monitoring and inspecting our on-going projects, through this I can grow and stand with my own as a consultant giving ideas and recommendations in times of ambiguity on our projects.
Great team to work with
PROGRAM SPECIALIST/NOTARY PUBLIC (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2017
Our team is very diverse and we all work well together to get the task at hand completed. Management will give promotions, awards and appreciation parties for the staff.
Pros
Telework schedule
Cons
Open space
One hand giveth the other Taketh away
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 27, 2017
It is a good environment to work if you are patient. Patience is the key as getting anything signed off on takes at a minimum two weeks. Hiring is being outsource which makes things complicated
Field work
PPQ Technician (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PASeptember 27, 2017
Biological control programs with various types of techniques, pest and plant quarantine activities, trapping and documenting, Emerald Ash Borer survey
Tread carefully
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  southern CASeptember 26, 2017
With unstable or unpredictable budgets from administration to administration, focus on "diverse" candidates who may or may not have the qualifications for the job they are doing, I would be careful accepting a job within the Dept of Ag in southern CA. Also, if you have advanced analytical skillsets and an unskilled manager, you may experience burnout (no one buffering requests).
Pros
Pay/holiday
Cons
Too much work and too many unskilled overhead managers
part time position
Agricultural Commodity Grader (Former Employee) –  Ripon, WISeptember 23, 2017
I had a part time position and it was not renewed; there are strict requirements on how many hours a part time person can work and I met the maximum so they couldn't hire me back for 6 months and could give no guarantee they would need me then. So I got a different job.
A stressful environment with poor management.
Area Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 22, 2017
The belief of this agency is doing more with less and management continues to dump the workload. It's a very controlling, micromanaging environment. Individuals have been targeted by dumping the workload in order to get them to quit or retire.