DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE Employer Reviews

Fun group of people to work with
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Pullman, WAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: fun people. passionate work
Cons: long work days. occasional 50+ hour weeks
Everyone is passionate about their work. Above average communication between employees working on different projects.
Family type setting
Resource Management Assistant (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: dinners and cookie exchanges
Cons: overbearing district manager
The job is very filling and the work force is very diverse. Fast pace and joyous days. Some days are more demanding than others but most days are laid back and that gives you the opportunity to work through your day more productively.
My most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am servicing our field food inspectors with the things that they need on a daily basis such as tracking their appraisals and time and attendance, processing their travel and expenditures for purchases of equipment that they need on a daily basis.
Rewarding and Fun
Farm Loan Program Technician (Former Employee), Canton, NYJanuary 19, 2015
Working for USDA helped keep me linked to my family when I was living so far from home. This job was fun and never had the same day twice in a row.
Good pay, lousy everything else
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Mankato, MNJanuary 16, 2015
USDA is stuck in a 1990s model for IT management. They demand that every technician succeed or fail on their own while not providing standards to adhere to.

On several occasions, it was literally stated, in national teleconferences, that, "if you don't like how we do business, you can be replaced."
Great Working Experience
Information Receptionist (Current Employee), Mountain Home, IDJanuary 7, 2015
I loved going to work. A great staff of people, and great management. There were often tense moments with the forest fires and occasional unhappy consumers. But worked with a great team and loved working with the public and my coworkers. I did a lot of projects for the Forest Ranger and loved it!
Exciting place to work
Biological Science Aide/Intern (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJanuary 4, 2015
Daily I do DNA extractions on maize or cotton cultures of aspergillus flavus. It includes constant individual and team efforts to get the job done and invloves excessive communications with management and my co workers to get the job done effectively and efficiently
I Love my work.
Engineering Equipment Operator Grade 10 (Current Employee), Roseburg, ORDecember 26, 2014
Pros: i love what i do
Cons: getting too hard to be away from home so much.
I love my work, but it is becoming too difficult to be away from Home so much.

I live in Eugene but must stay 150 miles away living in a camper trailer while working and that has an effect on my home life. A negative one.

For that Reason, I would like to find something closer to Home.
USFS
Seasonal Recreation Technician (Former Employee), Glendora, CADecember 20, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: seasonal
When one works recreation for the Forest Service, no day is ever the same. Though typically days involve maintenance of the national recreation are. I learned about the bureaucratic ins and outs of working for the Federal Government. My co workers were friendly and dedicated individuals. The most difficult part of the job is the fact that it is only seasonal. The most enjoyable part of the job was being outdoors and doing what I love; ensuring the health of out public lands.
N/A
CIO - Chief Information Office Division (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 18, 2014
Pros: experience of working in a government environment
Cons: lack of job security as a it contractor
Some of the staff as well as those I worked with were fairly friendly and professional. Being introduced with some of the latest technologies were one of the big points that I gain with experience and exposure.
Great place to work!
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee), Ridgeland, MSDecember 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits and working environment!
Cons: maintaining a full time job while in school
The Department of Agriculture was a great place to work. A typical day at work for me was typing letters, memos, faxes and answering a multiple line telephone. The management team was great. The hardest part of my job was maintaining employment while attending school full time. My co-workers were warm and friendly and the most important part of my job was job security, and great benefits. I resigned from this job to attend school full time.
A lot of room for professional growth.
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Excellent career stepping but no upward mobility. Co workers are great to work with and are very supportvie.
Has a great mission to manage public lands
Forester (Former Employee), Munising MIDecember 11, 2014
Pros: good retirement, satisfaction of public service
Cons: meetings and inadequate supervisors
Working for the Federal government has many benefets.
Maxi flex working day
Poor to very poor management
great co workers
snowshoes in the winter
working outdoors
Do not take a job unless it is permanent
Ecologist (Current Employee), Bend, ORDecember 9, 2014
I have been a "temporary" hire at the USDA Forest Service since 1997 (18 years). My supervisor would love to hire me "permanently" so I can have full benefits and job security, however the hiring practices for the Federal government, and for USDA Forest Service in particular, are horrendously unfair in the name of being uniform and unbiased.

I would advise anyone interested in a job with the Federal government to take a permanent job, but the temporary jobs absolutely do NOT lead to a permanent job. They really don't. Instead, take the permanent job in the outer reaches of society, and then apply for the permanent job in the place you want to end up once you are in the system.

The USDA Forest Service, at least, hires in two ways: they advertise in-house, and they advertise nationwide. Supervisors who are hiring must select either from the in-house list, which is all of the current permanents, or must select from the nationwide list. However, if they select from the nationwide list they must first offer the job to military veterans even if they barely qualify for the job. Staff officers of the hiring supervisors also get a good rating on their job performance if they hire minorities, so some will look at ethnic-sounding last names (because it's illegal to ask someone if they are a minority). But if the hiring supervisor doesn't want a barely qualified veteran, or pressure to hire someone based on their last name, they go to the in-house list of job candidates. This is why most of the jobs in more popular locations go to those who already have a permanent job within the Forest Service. They can actually review applicants credentials, interview several people, and hire who they'd like to hire if they do it from the in-house list.

If you already have a family, mortgage and husband's job to consider, then you're out of luck... but if you're mobile, the method above could work.
Government Career
Senior Special Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 7, 2014
Government structure; highly organized hierarchy; clear expectations and clear career pathways to all employees.
A wonderful experience
Observation (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, NYDecember 1, 2014
My time at the USDA was very short, but it was very interesting. The head vet, as well as the traveling vet were very helpful and insightful for my future endeavors. They were always offering me more opportunities to learn and gain more experiences.
Being that I was only there one day a week, they would often call me to come in when a delivery was scheduled, so I can gain experience being around the animals, and accounting for the animals in a delivery. I wish I would have been able to extend my time there, and do more with the USDA.
Allowed to develop and impliment new initiatives.
Division Administrator (Former Employee), Sparks, NevadaDecember 1, 2014
Pros: operational latitude.
Cons: budget constraints during certain periods of year.
24 by 7 job; immediate response to director and governor required.
I got to get out and see new scenery and go to different states.
AD Driver (Former Employee), London, KyNovember 24, 2014
I was always going to different states and travel seeing new scenery.
Productive environment with team emphasis
Mail Clerk/Supply Clerk, GS (Former Employee), Fort Collins, CONovember 17, 2014
Pros: maxi flex schedule
Cons: no opportunity to advance
Worked opening and closing entrance doors, loading dock
Received all incoming packages in shipping and receiving
Received, sort, processed and distributed mail
Ordered, distributed supplies
Maintained and updated supplies inventory
Operated, maintained fax machines, copiers and printers
Great Job
biological science technician (Former Employee), Catron County NMNovember 14, 2014
I worked closely with local ranchers, county, state and federal employees to ensure a balance between wildlife and ranching, and farming. I performed depredation investigations and removals thru lethal and non-lethal methods. The hardest part of my duties was working within the Mexican Wolf Program as there was a lot of emotion with locals and animal activists within that program. I really enjoyed working in Catron County as it was a beautiful place. I also enjoyed being outside most of the time and working with wildlife. I guess what I miss most about the job was being able to help my cooperators by solving their depredation problems. The most important thing I guess that I learned working in this position was being able to work with people that had very different ways of life and values than that of mine.
Great first Job
Senior Auditor (Current Employee), Beltsville, MDNovember 13, 2014
I was recruited fresh out of college and I can say that being an auditor in such a large department exposed me a variety of industries. Very flexible work schedules, great managers who want to see you advance and excellent benefits. In the beginning, the travel was alluring, but once you have a family, it can become a bit demanding. Overall, amazing experience and I'm thankful for it.

1 2 3 4 5

About DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries strives towards a united and prosperous agricultural sector, with the aim – Read more

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE Photos