Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Production, and Maintenace
HVI Technician (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 28, 2017
Perform require adjustments and control interaction between components to prevent complication of repair and test procedure. To maintain the Repair's and maintain the Line Operators.
Nice place to work if you have the right supervisor
STATISTICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 26, 2017
Without the right supervisor, you have a horrible place to work, AND, you have a lot of lazy co-workers who will try to push their work off on you so that they can talk on the cell phone, play games on the computer or phone, or look up antiques on the internet! Also, beware of the supervisor that monitors you and no one else. They allow certain people to be on Facebook all day, their phones, and sitting around talking, while other people do the work. You don't need that in your life. But, I guess all good things come to an end, right?
Pros
pay, work hours, benefits
Cons
lazy co-workers, poor mangement styles
enjoyed working with the employees and customers.
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, TXMay 24, 2017
Work on processing the programs from the Farm Bill of 2014.
Learned a lot about the farm bill and production of crops, cattle and
other forms of meat/produce raised in the area.
Management and other employees worked together very well we all
made a good team.
Hardest part of the job was having to tell the customers when they
did not qualify for a program.

This was a job I would love to get back on.
Pros
close to home, management was very good
Cons
there was not any bad parts of this job
Team players
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 23, 2017
I really enjoy working at USDA. The people are fun to work with. Management is very understanding and supports their worker. The work is easy and non stressful. The only bad thing bout the job is it's ONLY sesdonal
Pros
Getting overtime isnt an issue
Cons
Its seasoal work that only ladts a few months
Government culture - beware
Analyst, Architect, Engineer, OLTP systems (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMay 17, 2017
Don't work here unless you're ready for the government culture. After 14 years of work here I asked for reasonable accommodations where our offices moved. I was denied and punished. Left with settlement.
Pros
salary
Cons
management, Eeo
Greatest its experience ever
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 13, 2017
If you love working directly with animals and health safety, this is the place for you. Great people, exciting job, a lot of hard work. you get to know new people every single day.
Pros
work with animals and people
Cons
N/a
Great opportunity to build
Accountant I (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 10, 2017
communication coach, and author, says it's easy, even tempting, to passively ride along with the "human resources tour that usually sets off the first day of employment." There will be forms to fill out, videos to watch, people to meet, "and generally speaking, no real position-specific responsibilities," he says. "But taking a passive versus proactive response would be a mistake. The first day sets the tone for the rest of your career with those who you'll be interacting with.
Temporary employee, my appointment ended April 2017
Full-Time 40/Week (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 9, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Forest Service as a 1039 appointee. Working for the national temporary staffing team was a great experience and I would recommend working for this branch of the government to anyone.
Productive!
Earth Team Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 5, 2017
I was an Earth Team Volunteer. It was voluntary work to help with things such as the People's Garden in Athens, Georgia. The People's Garden grow fruit and vegetables to donate to the Homeless shelters.
interesting an educational program
Forest Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAMay 2, 2017
A day as a forest volunteer includes visiting different forests and helping maintain them clean. You also play an important role in helping the nature life expand by planting trees and helping them grow. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning about different forests and different nature and wild life forest wide.
Pros
Free lunch, Fun trips
Cons
None in my opinion
fun and challenging place to work
Legal Instruments Examiner (Paralegal Specialist) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 27, 2017
Dept of Agriculture was a great place to work for the season that I was in. Learned a lot working there that has followed me as I moved on to other jobs.
Poor Management Structure
Contracting Officer - GS-12 (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAApril 27, 2017
Management structure is lacking leadership to move agency forward. Recent reorganization; however, infrastructure was not developed adequately before launching.
Overall great environment to work in
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, ORApril 27, 2017
Great opportunities for learning and advancement. They take care of their own. Majority of the management are skilled in their jobs and can lead their teams.
Department of Agriculture
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Emporia, VAApril 25, 2017
In a typical day in my last position I fulfilled program techican tasks of opening and closing the facility, as well as overseeing a staff of three individuals. Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties as well, including answering phones, drafting documents and emails, filing and greeting customers. I also provided strong customer service and resolved customer issues.

Utilize this question as a way to drive home the facts that you are aware of the skills necessary for the position, that you have those skills and that you have the experience to prove it.
Fun workplace with hard working people
MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAApril 17, 2017
I learned about the value of diversity at the workplace and learning to stay balanced with school, family, health, work, and friends. The workplace culture was always fun and informative.
Pros
Diversity and understand with coworkers
Cons
Not paid overtime
Great job
Forestry Technician (Lead Wildland Firefighter) (Former Employee) –  Douglas, WYApril 15, 2017
Working for the Department of Agriculture was a very rewarding and entertaining career choice for me. As a wild land firefighter I had the opportunity to see much of the United States and parts of it that most people will never see. The organization is very dedicated to its employees, and allows for many growth opportunities in other departments.
Working outdoors most days with varied tasks
Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake George, COApril 15, 2017
Love the office (the outdoors)
Anytime I have the chance to work in the forest it makes me happy. I love caring for trees, soil, wildlife, and incorporating my Natural Resource Degree I got from Colorado State University while I do so. I also welcome any chance I get to be able to teach people why they should respect and care for our environment. Because there is no planet B.
Great Place to Work
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Mound City, MOApril 14, 2017
This is a great place to work and would have loved to stay, but was hired as a temporary employee and discovered that unless you have a bachelor's degree it is very difficult to get a permanent position.
Pros
Great Place to Work
Cons
Hard to get a Permanent position
Excellent job!
Area Technician (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEApril 13, 2017
Loved my job, miss my coworkers and many of the public I worked with. Had to relocate. Best 15 years, would have loved to have atayed another 15! Would strongly recommend!
Private Contract Company
Tier II Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 12, 2017
Worked for private contract company. The USDA side of environment experienced was satisfactory and their workers seem happy with stable jobs. Job details of private contract company include sedentary role in cube. All activity and that of all team must be logged including restroom breaks and lunches which were of duration of 30 minutes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2