Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

Great workplace that helped me develop confidence and independence.
Lab Trainee (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAApril 5, 2016
Through UGA I was able to intern at the USDA. I was not paid a salary but was given class credit as compensation. A typical day involved arriving to the lab on time with a plan for that day's procedures. The first half of the internship involved learning basic lab techniques and following protocols. The second half of the internship involved troubleshooting in order to create my own lab protocol for future interns to follow. I mostly spent my time learning from the head lab technician, but would occasionally work with the head of research if he was available. The best part about the job was learning new things related to biology and being able to think through my errors in an environment suited for student advancement.
Pros
Great employees to work with. Always helped when needed.
Cons
No compensation due to internship.
Good Work Environment
Secretary to the State Director (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 7, 2016
Positive Work Environment, Goals of agency align with personal goals, Management is knowledgeable, Work is fulfilling, Schedule allows for work/life balance
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Salary
Public Trust position
Resource Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 28, 2015
Phones, emails, scheduling, detail sheets, Travel Arrangements, vouchers. Assisting field employees and supervisors with questions and problems. Working with other departments to resolve issues.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Poor management practices
Good place for employment.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2016
Great place to work and provide great customer service to clients. I work day for me started around 6 am in the morning. I would be the first to arrive so I was the tam member that came in and st the pace for the rest of the staff for the day. I learned how the government works and what it take to please your supervisors as well as the community. Management was more hands off, which I loved as long as you knew your expectations and performed. Co-workers, some worked just as hard as you, some did not. Some were long term, and some were not, with that approach. The hardest part was management having a difficult time making sure everything was communicated effectively and everyone on the same page. The happiest part of the job, was knowing that you save someone from losing their home are their hard earned possessions or property.
Pros
Great attitudes, great results
Cons
N/A
Great Mission, Poor Exectution
1. Public Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 28, 2015
USDA has a fantastic mission and tools to help Rural America. The policies and leadership are so political that the wrong people and projects are receiving assistance. Employees are not encouraged to think outside the box by management and each office is very local and very clicky.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Statistical Clerk
Statistical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 9, 2015
This was my first position I held with the US Government. It was a great place to begin my federal career.

After a few years of being there, I transferred to another position within the Dept. of Agriculture that was closer to home.
Pros
Great Salary and benefits
Cons
Long Commute
Best of the best family environment
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 4, 2016
I had excellent managers the last 15 years I was there. I would not have left, except I was stuck below the level I was entitled to, due to my promotion going to someone who only got it cause he would've had to move if he didn't get it. I continued to do the job, however, he got the promotion. I dealt with it, he was a great guy, but when the opportunity arose to get the promotion at the USDI BLM, I chose to take it. It was the right choice. But, I always missed my FS family!
Pros
family environment
Cons
poor promotion potential
The Consumer is the Customer
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJune 22, 2016
While performing the duties as a Consumer Safety Inspector I was responsible for product and it's wholesomeness. It was to be unadulterated and free of contamination.

I learned that inspite of what the company or plant wanted it was my job to make sure the American Consumer was served and not the plant.

My co workers were good people and mindful of the importance of the work they did.

The hardest part of the job? Getting beyond the tediousness of the job. I enjoyed serving the public above all else.
Pros
extra breaks and union representation
Cons
a very physically demanding job
NRCS Temple
Soil Conservation Technician (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 4, 2016
The Temple office is a great place to work. The people are friendly and the work environment is good also. I have learned a lot from them and they seem to be very helpful.
Pros
Great Benefits, Good People
Productive place to work ... Best experience ever
Telephone Interviewer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Olivette, MOOctober 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Public Service federal job for rural areas.
Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 18, 2016
Management could get too micro manage and only care for production instead of being people oriented.
Customer service is not their priority but making their numbers.
Coworkers are hard worker but afraid of management and losing their job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could make a difference in people's lives, and that is satisfaction enough.
Pros
stable good pay.
Cons
not people oriented. allow managemnt to oppressed and abused workers
Interesting and challenging
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Toledo District, Belize, C.AJanuary 7, 2016
Our work deals with providing agriculture services to mostly small farmers for them to improve their livelihoods. Some farmers are reluctant in accepting help mostly through projects with innovative technology for them to increase yearly income and to become competitive farmers in the agriculture value food chain.
Pros
Get to travel a lot
Cons
Transportation constraint at times to implement projects
This was an independent contracting job. No perks or benefits.
LOSS ADJUSTER (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HawaiiFebruary 11, 2016
The independence was great, but the mismanagement and lack of knowledge within the FSA was frustrating.

Knowledge imparted to the staff was met with skepticism then they took credit for my ideas.
Pros
Freedom to create your own schedule.
Cons
Lack of communication
Great work environment. Great benefits and good oportunity to advance.
Community Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 16, 2015
Working for USDA is great. They provide excellent work schedule options to accommodate you. Good co-workers and good support from upper management.
Pros
Great flexible schedules and excellent benefits
Cons
Funds are not always available, therefore one works on the same files for long periods of time until funds become available, Fixed schedules not having to work overtime.
Very professional setting with well qualified employees. It was all business and not mush flexibility
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 13, 2016
Very professional and strict place to work with very little flexibility. The work is according to USDA standards and procedures that our followed in accordance with the farm bill.
Pros
Schedule M-F with all federal holidays off
Cons
Strict office proceedures with no latitude available
high energy great job with and wonderful team to work with
SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Stoneville, MSAugust 3, 2016
typical day was working in the crops irrigating or weeding them. I learned how to irrigate as well as some shop duties while working with grinders and other tools. my managers where excellent people and very patient. hardest part of the job was the heat at times. most enjoyable was the team I was part of.
Pros
teamwork aspect
Cons
Reconiliation of payment history/ audit of financial statments
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 15, 2016
USDA, Rural Development Harrisonburg, VA
Loan Technician August 2015- Present
- Audited financial statements of local communities/ towns
- Servicing to keep loans in Federal Government Compliance
- Reconcile payment history
- Evaluate repayment ability
- Compile loan application packets
Productive, fast paced, customer service based, and great communication skill buiding
Fire Clerk (Former Employee) –  Collbran, COMarch 10, 2016
Managed internal and external phone calls from clients. Performed political web poles while in contact with clients. High resistence with biased surveys. Co-workers were very positive with seemingly infinite energy. The most enjoyable part about this job was having the opportunity to speak with great people all across the world and sharing certain job experiences with them.
Pros
constant and balanced work based environment, very active and nice co-workers
Non productive
now hiring (Current Employee) –  N Arlington, NJNovember 19, 2015
It was ok. There was alot of bias in my office. Management never supported their employees. Would not work there again . Was unhappy and work culture was messy.
Typical Office Job
Volunteer Office Duties (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87109June 26, 2016
I loved working for the USDA they try to work with you in every way possible and provide you with what you need to get your job done efficiently. Their Management is well staffed and experienced so they are very knowledgeable and dependent. The hardest part was waiting for lunch!
Pros
To many to list compared to non Gov jobs

4.2