Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

The Consumer is the Customer
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJune 22, 2016
While performing the duties as a Consumer Safety Inspector I was responsible for product and it's wholesomeness. It was to be unadulterated and free of contamination.

I learned that inspite of what the company or plant wanted it was my job to make sure the American Consumer was served and not the plant.

My co workers were good people and mindful of the importance of the work they did.

The hardest part of the job? Getting beyond the tediousness of the job. I enjoyed serving the public above all else.
Pros
extra breaks and union representation
Cons
a very physically demanding job
Public Service federal job for rural areas.
Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 18, 2016
Management could get too micro manage and only care for production instead of being people oriented.
Customer service is not their priority but making their numbers.
Coworkers are hard worker but afraid of management and losing their job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could make a difference in people's lives, and that is satisfaction enough.
Pros
stable good pay.
Cons
not people oriented. allow managemnt to oppressed and abused workers
Very professional setting with well qualified employees. It was all business and not mush flexibility
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 13, 2016
Very professional and strict place to work with very little flexibility. The work is according to USDA standards and procedures that our followed in accordance with the farm bill.
Pros
Schedule M-F with all federal holidays off
Cons
Strict office proceedures with no latitude available
Reconiliation of payment history/ audit of financial statments
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 15, 2016
USDA, Rural Development Harrisonburg, VA
Loan Technician August 2015- Present
- Audited financial statements of local communities/ towns
- Servicing to keep loans in Federal Government Compliance
- Reconcile payment history
- Evaluate repayment ability
- Compile loan application packets
Good place for employment.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2016
Great place to work and provide great customer service to clients. I work day for me started around 6 am in the morning. I would be the first to arrive so I was the tam member that came in and st the pace for the rest of the staff for the day. I learned how the government works and what it take to please your supervisors as well as the community. Management was more hands off, which I loved as long as you knew your expectations and performed. Co-workers, some worked just as hard as you, some did not. Some were long term, and some were not, with that approach. The hardest part was management having a difficult time making sure everything was communicated effectively and everyone on the same page. The happiest part of the job, was knowing that you save someone from losing their home are their hard earned possessions or property.
Pros
Great attitudes, great results
Cons
N/A
Typical Office Job
Volunteer Office Duties (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87109June 26, 2016
I loved working for the USDA they try to work with you in every way possible and provide you with what you need to get your job done efficiently. Their Management is well staffed and experienced so they are very knowledgeable and dependent. The hardest part was waiting for lunch!
Pros
To many to list compared to non Gov jobs
Productive, fast paced, customer service based, and great communication skill buiding
Fire Clerk (Former Employee) –  Collbran, COMarch 10, 2016
Managed internal and external phone calls from clients. Performed political web poles while in contact with clients. High resistence with biased surveys. Co-workers were very positive with seemingly infinite energy. The most enjoyable part about this job was having the opportunity to speak with great people all across the world and sharing certain job experiences with them.
Pros
constant and balanced work based environment, very active and nice co-workers
Great workplace that helped me develop confidence and independence.
Lab Trainee (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAApril 5, 2016
Through UGA I was able to intern at the USDA. I was not paid a salary but was given class credit as compensation. A typical day involved arriving to the lab on time with a plan for that day's procedures. The first half of the internship involved learning basic lab techniques and following protocols. The second half of the internship involved troubleshooting in order to create my own lab protocol for future interns to follow. I mostly spent my time learning from the head lab technician, but would occasionally work with the head of research if he was available. The best part about the job was learning new things related to biology and being able to think through my errors in an environment suited for student advancement.
Pros
Great employees to work with. Always helped when needed.
Cons
No compensation due to internship.
Working on NJ turnpike to assist travelers
Relief Sup. Public Health Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARApril 26, 2016
Started as part time/full time when in high school and thru college (able to work when returning home on breaks. People were fun to work with. Started as porter, to dish washer, to prep cook, to li ne cook, to grill cook.
Pros
Free food, fun staff
Cons
Best of the best family environment
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 4, 2016
I had excellent managers the last 15 years I was there. I would not have left, except I was stuck below the level I was entitled to, due to my promotion going to someone who only got it cause he would've had to move if he didn't get it. I continued to do the job, however, he got the promotion. I dealt with it, he was a great guy, but when the opportunity arose to get the promotion at the USDI BLM, I chose to take it. It was the right choice. But, I always missed my FS family!
Pros
family environment
Cons
poor promotion potential
Fun Work place
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron, GAJanuary 18, 2016
I would go into work at 9 o'clock am and I begin my day by preparing nutrient agar, which is a yellow powder mixed with water and after I prepare it I would place the agar in the autoclave to sterilize it and later I would wait for the flask to cool down then I would mix different bacteria into the agar to help determine which bacteria would fight off different pathogens that grow on the different crops around the area, but my focus was on peaches.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Customer Service Friendly
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2016
Take inventory or examine merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished. Answer customers' questions about merchandise and advice customers on merchandise selection.Compare merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.Receive, open, unpack and issue sales floor merchandise.Requisition merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.
Privilege to serve in a refence laboratory for the United States
Biological Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2016
I am privileged to serve with a superior group of microbiologists and veterinarians, contributing to two eradication programs protecting US food sources. The environment allows for professional growth and plenty of opportunities for both scientific and leadership skills.
Love working here
PPQ Aid (Current Employee) –  Ponce, PRApril 13, 2016
I really like working here the only thing is that it is a limited appointant oportunity. You learn a lot about agriculture and pests, insects and other factors that affect agricultural products economically.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
night shift, temporary position
Interesting and challenging
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Toledo District, Belize, C.AJanuary 7, 2016
Our work deals with providing agriculture services to mostly small farmers for them to improve their livelihoods. Some farmers are reluctant in accepting help mostly through projects with innovative technology for them to increase yearly income and to become competitive farmers in the agriculture value food chain.
Pros
Get to travel a lot
Cons
Transportation constraint at times to implement projects
Entry level position
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJanuary 12, 2016
I was given the opportunity through a temporary job service to work at this office. My supervisors were impressed with my work and they created a entry level position in order to employee me full-time. It has been many years since I have worked there. The environment was pleasant but I needed higher pay. I advanced my title and position after being employed 2 years here.
Wonderful place to work!
IT Specialist (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Raytown, MOApril 23, 2016
Everyone there is extremely friendly and very helpful to new employees. Lots of guidance and help is available if needed. Everyone there works withing a "team" mentality so no one is ever left to feel "stranded".
good working place with great employes and staff
HVI Operator (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 23, 2016
good working envirment and great people to work with. No stressing with the staff. The only thing is not good is seasonal and like the pay
Pros
good pay
Cons
its seasonal and no insurance
This was an independent contracting job. No perks or benefits.
LOSS ADJUSTER (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HawaiiFebruary 11, 2016
The independence was great, but the mismanagement and lack of knowledge within the FSA was frustrating.

Knowledge imparted to the staff was met with skepticism then they took credit for my ideas.
Pros
Freedom to create your own schedule.
Cons
Lack of communication
Excellent atmosphere for research
Fire Management Specialist (Fuels Planner) (Current Employee) –  Eldorado National ForestJune 2, 2016
Conducted research on mountain meadow systems in the Sierra Nevada. Used prescribed fire as a means of restoring the historic range of variability.