Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Diverse knowledge subsidy programs required
Eligibility and Payment Limitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Adel, IA 50003June 21, 2017
Good benefits and work schedule. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with program changes and amendments. The most rewarding part of the job is interacting with many interesting people of diverse backgrounds.
Productive and fun place to work
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2017
I was responsible for administering the forms and reports management program for the entire agency which consists of 10 regional offices and hundreds of national forests and ranger districts. I was also a supervisor of three employees.
Pros
Travel and training opportunities
Cons
Heavy workload
Fun work place and people
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ferron, UTJune 13, 2017
I would go to work at 7 and get home at 5:30. I learned how to paint and fix fences and make a trail. The hardest part of my job was the weather. I loved the people I worked with.
Productive workplace with great people.
Research Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  64 Nowelo Street, Hilo, HI 96720June 8, 2017
This is a great place for students who are looking for a part time job, but if you are looking to get a job in this place after graduation, the likelihood is narrow. The people are friendly and very nice. The facility is very clean.
Pros
You get free food when there are parties and meetings held. This place is very near to my university, so its very convenient for me.
Cons
No healthcare benefits.
Very Laid back enviroment, not micro managed
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 8, 2017
A typical day at work is making/drinking tea I made while printing Letters to mail out to applicants. The environment is family,friend, and tight nit.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Was able to work an extra hour Monday-Friday, no longer do
A secure job but poor management
Food Inspector (Current Employee) –  Greeley, ColoradoJune 2, 2017
The benefits are good and there is always room for promotion. However, there is little appreciation and encouragement to excel. Management is run poorly and inefficiently.
Quite the learning experience in meat inspection.
Food Inspector GS5- Est.86R Cargill Meat (Former Employee) –  Fort Morgan, COMay 30, 2017
Management and all coworkers had great attitudes and always willing to teach. At the time Government was not hiring full time positions. Otherwise great job.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Temporary position
Production, and Maintenace
HVI Technician (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 28, 2017
Perform require adjustments and control interaction between components to prevent complication of repair and test procedure. To maintain the Repair's and maintain the Line Operators.
Nice place to work if you have the right supervisor
STATISTICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 26, 2017
Without the right supervisor, you have a horrible place to work, AND, you have a lot of lazy co-workers who will try to push their work off on you so that they can talk on the cell phone, play games on the computer or phone, or look up antiques on the internet! Also, beware of the supervisor that monitors you and no one else. They allow certain people to be on Facebook all day, their phones, and sitting around talking, while other people do the work. You don't need that in your life. But, I guess all good things come to an end, right?
Pros
pay, work hours, benefits
Cons
lazy co-workers, poor mangement styles
enjoyed working with the employees and customers.
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, TXMay 24, 2017
Work on processing the programs from the Farm Bill of 2014.
Learned a lot about the farm bill and production of crops, cattle and
other forms of meat/produce raised in the area.
Management and other employees worked together very well we all
made a good team.
Hardest part of the job was having to tell the customers when they
did not qualify for a program.

This was a job I would love to get back on.
Pros
close to home, management was very good
Cons
there was not any bad parts of this job
Team players
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 23, 2017
I really enjoy working at USDA. The people are fun to work with. Management is very understanding and supports their worker. The work is easy and non stressful. The only bad thing bout the job is it's ONLY sesdonal
Pros
Getting overtime isnt an issue
Cons
Its seasoal work that only ladts a few months
Government culture - beware
Analyst, Architect, Engineer, OLTP systems (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMay 17, 2017
Don't work here unless you're ready for the government culture. After 14 years of work here I asked for reasonable accommodations where our offices moved. I was denied and punished. Left with settlement.
Pros
salary
Cons
management, Eeo
Greatest its experience ever
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 13, 2017
If you love working directly with animals and health safety, this is the place for you. Great people, exciting job, a lot of hard work. you get to know new people every single day.
Pros
work with animals and people
Cons
N/a
Great opportunity to build
Accountant I (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 10, 2017
communication coach, and author, says it's easy, even tempting, to passively ride along with the "human resources tour that usually sets off the first day of employment." There will be forms to fill out, videos to watch, people to meet, "and generally speaking, no real position-specific responsibilities," he says. "But taking a passive versus proactive response would be a mistake. The first day sets the tone for the rest of your career with those who you'll be interacting with.
Temporary employee, my appointment ended April 2017
Full-Time 40/Week (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 9, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Forest Service as a 1039 appointee. Working for the national temporary staffing team was a great experience and I would recommend working for this branch of the government to anyone.
Productive!
Earth Team Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 5, 2017
I was an Earth Team Volunteer. It was voluntary work to help with things such as the People's Garden in Athens, Georgia. The People's Garden grow fruit and vegetables to donate to the Homeless shelters.
interesting an educational program
Forest Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAMay 2, 2017
A day as a forest volunteer includes visiting different forests and helping maintain them clean. You also play an important role in helping the nature life expand by planting trees and helping them grow. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning about different forests and different nature and wild life forest wide.
Pros
Free lunch, Fun trips
Cons
None in my opinion
fun and challenging place to work
Legal Instruments Examiner (Paralegal Specialist) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 27, 2017
Dept of Agriculture was a great place to work for the season that I was in. Learned a lot working there that has followed me as I moved on to other jobs.
Poor Management Structure
Contracting Officer - GS-12 (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAApril 27, 2017
Management structure is lacking leadership to move agency forward. Recent reorganization; however, infrastructure was not developed adequately before launching.
Overall great environment to work in
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, ORApril 27, 2017
Great opportunities for learning and advancement. They take care of their own. Majority of the management are skilled in their jobs and can lead their teams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2