Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

Working on NJ turnpike to assist travelers
Relief Sup. Public Health Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARApril 26, 2016
Started as part time/full time when in high school and thru college (able to work when returning home on breaks. People were fun to work with. Started as porter, to dish washer, to prep cook, to li ne cook, to grill cook.
Pros
Free food, fun staff
Wonderful place to work!
IT Specialist (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Raytown, MOApril 23, 2016
Everyone there is extremely friendly and very helpful to new employees. Lots of guidance and help is available if needed. Everyone there works withing a "team" mentality so no one is ever left to feel "stranded".
Sucks
Inspection & Licensing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 14, 2016
People make the place!! Those people are not the kindness people to work with!! Rude resits and don't care about each other
Pros
NONE
Cons
ALLOT
Love working here
PPQ Aid (Current Employee) –  Ponce, PRApril 13, 2016
I really like working here the only thing is that it is a limited appointant oportunity. You learn a lot about agriculture and pests, insects and other factors that affect agricultural products economically.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
night shift, temporary position
Great agency
Forestry Aid (Fire Suppression) (Former Employee) –  Spearfish, SDApril 7, 2016
I would go back to the USFS if a permanent job opportunity was offered. It was a great place to start working. I can wait to return one day to this great agency.
Great workplace that helped me develop confidence and independence.
Lab Trainee (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAApril 5, 2016
Through UGA I was able to intern at the USDA. I was not paid a salary but was given class credit as compensation. A typical day involved arriving to the lab on time with a plan for that day's procedures. The first half of the internship involved learning basic lab techniques and following protocols. The second half of the internship involved troubleshooting in order to create my own lab protocol for future interns to follow. I mostly spent my time learning from the head lab technician, but would occasionally work with the head of research if he was available. The best part about the job was learning new things related to biology and being able to think through my errors in an environment suited for student advancement.
Pros
Great employees to work with. Always helped when needed.
Cons
No compensation due to internship.
NRCS Temple
Soil Conservation Technician (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 4, 2016
The Temple office is a great place to work. The people are friendly and the work environment is good also. I have learned a lot from them and they seem to be very helpful.
Pros
Great Benefits, Good People
Have an opportunity to contribute and work with talented for a common goals.
IT DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, MDApril 2, 2016
I enjoy working with new initiatives that change/improve the operation of the organization and align with its goals and mission.
Productive, fast paced, customer service based, and great communication skill buiding
Fire Clerk (Former Employee) –  Collbran, COMarch 10, 2016
Managed internal and external phone calls from clients. Performed political web poles while in contact with clients. High resistence with biased surveys. Co-workers were very positive with seemingly infinite energy. The most enjoyable part about this job was having the opportunity to speak with great people all across the world and sharing certain job experiences with them.
Pros
constant and balanced work based environment, very active and nice co-workers
Good Work Environment
Secretary to the State Director (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 7, 2016
Positive Work Environment, Goals of agency align with personal goals, Management is knowledgeable, Work is fulfilling, Schedule allows for work/life balance
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Salary
very good
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COFebruary 12, 2016
I have worked there for 1 and half years. Like it very much because of the perfect work environment and flexible schedule.
This was an independent contracting job. No perks or benefits.
LOSS ADJUSTER (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HawaiiFebruary 11, 2016
The independence was great, but the mismanagement and lack of knowledge within the FSA was frustrating.

Knowledge imparted to the staff was met with skepticism then they took credit for my ideas.
Pros
Freedom to create your own schedule.
Cons
Lack of communication
Fun-times
Student Area Specialist Trainee (Former Employee) –  Canton, MSFebruary 5, 2016
Always good to help people in the rural area and that is what I was taught in this position. It was helpful to rural residents who wanted to own homes, start businesses and help grow the community.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
Learning Experience
Best of the best family environment
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 4, 2016
I had excellent managers the last 15 years I was there. I would not have left, except I was stuck below the level I was entitled to, due to my promotion going to someone who only got it cause he would've had to move if he didn't get it. I continued to do the job, however, he got the promotion. I dealt with it, he was a great guy, but when the opportunity arose to get the promotion at the USDI BLM, I chose to take it. It was the right choice. But, I always missed my FS family!
Pros
family environment
Cons
poor promotion potential
Privilege to serve in a refence laboratory for the United States
Biological Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2016
I am privileged to serve with a superior group of microbiologists and veterinarians, contributing to two eradication programs protecting US food sources. The environment allows for professional growth and plenty of opportunities for both scientific and leadership skills.
productive and work experience is excite
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 28, 2016
Monday thru Friday job
I learned a lot about personnel
working independently
I enjoy about the job nice co workers and also like working as a team
Pros
healthcare insurance benefits
Cons
na
Slow-pace and Relaxed
Job Shadow (Former Employee) –  Kimberly, IDJanuary 25, 2016
I job shadowed a lab technician. There was not much I could learn about benefits or other employees. The work environment was more constricted to a specific area.
Fun Work place
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron, GAJanuary 18, 2016
I would go into work at 9 o'clock am and I begin my day by preparing nutrient agar, which is a yellow powder mixed with water and after I prepare it I would place the agar in the autoclave to sterilize it and later I would wait for the flask to cool down then I would mix different bacteria into the agar to help determine which bacteria would fight off different pathogens that grow on the different crops around the area, but my focus was on peaches.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Entry level position
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJanuary 12, 2016
I was given the opportunity through a temporary job service to work at this office. My supervisors were impressed with my work and they created a entry level position in order to employee me full-time. It has been many years since I have worked there. The environment was pleasant but I needed higher pay. I advanced my title and position after being employed 2 years here.
Customer Service Friendly
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2016
Take inventory or examine merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished. Answer customers' questions about merchandise and advice customers on merchandise selection.Compare merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.Receive, open, unpack and issue sales floor merchandise.Requisition merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.