Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with hard working people
MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAApril 17, 2017
I learned about the value of diversity at the workplace and learning to stay balanced with school, family, health, work, and friends. The workplace culture was always fun and informative.
Pros
Diversity and understand with coworkers
Cons
Not paid overtime
Great job
Forestry Technician (Lead Wildland Firefighter) (Former Employee) –  Douglas, WYApril 15, 2017
Working for the Department of Agriculture was a very rewarding and entertaining career choice for me. As a wild land firefighter I had the opportunity to see much of the United States and parts of it that most people will never see. The organization is very dedicated to its employees, and allows for many growth opportunities in other departments.
Working outdoors most days with varied tasks
Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake George, COApril 15, 2017
Love the office (the outdoors)
Anytime I have the chance to work in the forest it makes me happy. I love caring for trees, soil, wildlife, and incorporating my Natural Resource Degree I got from Colorado State University while I do so. I also welcome any chance I get to be able to teach people why they should respect and care for our environment. Because there is no planet B.
Great Place to Work
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Mound City, MOApril 14, 2017
This is a great place to work and would have loved to stay, but was hired as a temporary employee and discovered that unless you have a bachelor's degree it is very difficult to get a permanent position.
Pros
Great Place to Work
Cons
Hard to get a Permanent position
Excellent job!
Area Technician (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEApril 13, 2017
Loved my job, miss my coworkers and many of the public I worked with. Had to relocate. Best 15 years, would have loved to have atayed another 15! Would strongly recommend!
Private Contract Company
Tier II Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 12, 2017
Worked for private contract company. The USDA side of environment experienced was satisfactory and their workers seem happy with stable jobs. Job details of private contract company include sedentary role in cube. All activity and that of all team must be logged including restroom breaks and lunches which were of duration of 30 minutes.
Fast paced, high stress at times
Lead Human Resources Specialist, GS (Former Employee) –  Delta, COApril 5, 2017
As a Human Resources Officer I was responsible for the HR program on my Forest, including ensuring the workforce was treated with dignity and respect.
Amazing experience
Forest Technician (Former Employee) –  Darrington, WAApril 2, 2017
Everyday was a new task and new adventure. I loved every day of working here. I made great money, great friends and great memories. I learned things that will help me in my everyday life such as situational awareness and respect for others and environment. the management was incredible and were as empathetic of family life as they could be. every part of this job was enjoyable even the parts that were difficult.
Pros
great exercise, travled many places
Cons
sometimes away from family for extended periods of time.
Department of Agriculture.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 2, 2017
Great place to work if you are just starting out and have little to no experience. I enjoyed my time working with Department of Agriculture, and the people are fun to be around.
Wildland Fire
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Sonora, CAMarch 31, 2017
Extremely demanding, long hours wearing a heavy pack, breathing smoke all day, sleeping in the dirt and eating MRE's. If this sounds fun than you will probably never want to leave. Wild land fire is very addicting and fun but you must be in the best shape of your life.
Assistant Chief Plant & Animal Quarantine (Current Employee) –  American SamoaMarch 30, 2017
The management is the best, I enjoy working here but will have to find another job due to relocation for educational purposes. I would recommend others to apply to this department.
Pros
staff members, pay, hospitality, benefits
a typical day at work
Assistant in office systems (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoMarch 29, 2017
It was a very comfortable office. I was an intern and I learned a lot working there. Everyday I had my tasks and I got them done on time. My supervisor was a very responsible person and she make sure that I had all that I needed to get my work done.
This position was my favorite.
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKMarch 25, 2017
The agency was a great place to work. The people in Alaska are very friendly and knowledgeable. The weather took its toll though. Also, there was little or no rental housing in the area.
Pros
federal agency business is interesting
Cons
the small, secluded town provided little amenities such as health care and housing options
Fascinating working in food industry where food is processed.
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMarch 24, 2017
A typical day was not always typical because of the dynamics of being a government official working in a private industry environment.

I learned how to deal with people more effectively and be more sympathetic, reasonable, and patient.

Workplace culture was very interactive in some respects to asking questions from the plant personnel in charge.

The hardest part of the job was working slaughter when I was called upon to perform that function.

The most enjoyable portion of the job was to meet and discuss the job functions with colleagues and their perspective from their job experiences. Also, discussing with plant personnel about the expectations regarding the regulations that they are required to abide.
Pros
Health insurance benefits
Cons
Working slaughter
Great
Mortgage Analyst (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 12, 2017
This is a great place to work at. There is no room for growth if there is a hiring freeze put in place.

Overall it is a great company for veterans or college grads.
Exciting and Rewarding
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Idaho City, IDMarch 11, 2017
I wrapped up my third season at the front desk with the Forest Service, in Idaho City, on the Boise National Forest. As expected, it was exciting and rewarding. I was introduced to the enormous opportunities this land offers and the demands of a diverse public. Hesitantly, I declined a GS-04 seasonal 1039 position with the ICRD as I had been facing difficult family matters.

Typically, I greeted people from all over the world along with a cohesive group of passionate, fact driven, hard-working co-workers. Tolerant, generous and smart.

General office work; pick up and sort mail, answer and screen phone calls, camping/cabin rentals and permit sales, stock pamphlets, daily check-in and update wildfire information.
Pros
Always fascinating
Cons
Long way to town
Helena Interagency Hotshot Crew (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTMarch 5, 2017
The Forest Service operates in many diverse places which is nice to be able to move around and see many pretty places that you can have a positive impact on. I recommend working here if you can.
Time management, love for learning a MUST
PROGRAM TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Box Butte County, NEMarch 3, 2017
Typical work schedule for a FSA county office is 8-4:30 with a 30 minute lunch. Other schedule options may be available depending on the preferences of the CED and District Director. A regular day includes phone calls, email, producer appointments & scheduling, filing, and use of proprietary web-based applications. Training is mostly by conference call and live video, but can sometimes be a physical training session with travel required.
The producers are the best part of the job. As a Program Tech you have the ability to help or hinder their operations, and the outcome is directly related to how well you do your job. It is a mentally demanding position, and with deadlines, changes to programs, new farm bills, new producers, record changes, plus the many varied and different programs that all have different rules and deadlines that are administered by the agency, it is very easy to get sidetracked and swept up in the chaos. You need to have good personal time management skills, a want to learn constantly, the flexibility to switch gears and programs regularly, and a dedication to the success of your office team. A poorly run County Office is a nightmare, not just for the employees, but especially for the producers who potentially have to deal with the resulting mismanagement for years to come.
The office I worked in had 3 full staffing rollovers in 2 and 1/2 years. This is not typical for the agency. The majority of open positions is due to the large numbers of retiring staff. The majority of my fellow employees in other offices had been with the agency for at least 10 years.
  more... Nebraska also offers a mentor program to new county office employees that pairs them with an experienced tech with the same main program areas. This helps retain new employees that can often feel overwhelmed at the sheer amount of information they are expected to process in the first year of employment. There is also the opportunity for advancement to either a Key Program Technician or County Executive Trainee, which then becomes a County Executive Director (CED) after a year of on the job training. There are also State Office Specialists as well, who focus on a few key program areas and provide guidance to the PTs.  less
Pros
Lots of paid leave
Cons
Government red tape
Some times you are able to travel
Federal meat inspector (Former Employee) –  Arkansas City, KSMarch 2, 2017
I am able to look for pathology to put good profit out for the safety of the consumer.everyday you see and learn diffrent pathology health insurance is good also the thrift saving plan is great
Pros
Heath insurance
Cons
Sometimes short breaks
It was a great place to work with friendly employees and clean safe environment.
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Garner, IAMarch 1, 2017
I assisted with certification of acres for the farm producers on a daily basis at the counter and inputing data into the computer. I also learned a little about the loan programs and assisted in organizing feed grain farm records and CRP program records. Every day was a different experience which was a good thing. The wait for the ID card to be able to use the computer system was the only negative part of the job. Co-workers and management were helpful in all aspects of the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2