Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly workplace
Loan Specialist (GS-9) (Former Employee) –  Redmond, OR 97756October 23, 2016
The incumbent possesses knowledge of the principles, practices, concepts and theories of law (Federal and State), regulations, and policies as they relate to the servicing and liquidation of guaranteed loans. The incumbent uses this knowledge and skill to apply techniques to obtain and evaluate a borrower's ability (or lack thereof) to reinstate a delinquent loan and to conclude whether a borrower has the potential to repay the loan.
Wonderful Agency
Trainee and Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 10, 2016
The USDA FOREST SERVICE is a wonderful agency to begin a career. The agency allows applicants to gain valuable work experience as a students, veterans, limited term employee, contactor, etc. The agency has several positions for those who have a love of the outdoors and want to protect those assets. The agency has clear directives, goals, and set measurable standards for all staff. Like most federal agencies, the USDA Forest Service rewards their employees who furthers their education and seek additional training.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
some work locations are in rural areas
high energy great job with and wonderful team to work with
SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Stoneville, MSAugust 3, 2016
typical day was working in the crops irrigating or weeding them. I learned how to irrigate as well as some shop duties while working with grinders and other tools. my managers where excellent people and very patient. hardest part of the job was the heat at times. most enjoyable was the team I was part of.
Pros
teamwork aspect
Cons
Fun workplace. Its a good place for professional growth. Good training ground.
Administrative Aide VI (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesSeptember 10, 2016
Department of agriculture is a government agency in the Philippines. The agency is a very good place work with because of the good management and the professionalism and respect the employees have.
Pros
Free snacks. Free seminars
Cons
Short breaks.
Loved helping farmers and ranchers with farm programs!
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXOctober 27, 2016
Loved the job each time I worked for the agency. From helping with customer service and learning new things to help farmers and ranchers. A great place to work at!!
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Needs more funding so they can keep employees
Very professional setting with well qualified employees. It was all business and not mush flexibility
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 13, 2016
Very professional and strict place to work with very little flexibility. The work is according to USDA standards and procedures that our followed in accordance with the farm bill.
Pros
Schedule M-F with all federal holidays off
Cons
Strict office proceedures with no latitude available
The Consumer is the Customer
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJune 22, 2016
While performing the duties as a Consumer Safety Inspector I was responsible for product and it's wholesomeness. It was to be unadulterated and free of contamination.

I learned that inspite of what the company or plant wanted it was my job to make sure the American Consumer was served and not the plant.

My co workers were good people and mindful of the importance of the work they did.

The hardest part of the job? Getting beyond the tediousness of the job. I enjoyed serving the public above all else.
Pros
extra breaks and union representation
Cons
a very physically demanding job
Good place for employment.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2016
Great place to work and provide great customer service to clients. I work day for me started around 6 am in the morning. I would be the first to arrive so I was the tam member that came in and st the pace for the rest of the staff for the day. I learned how the government works and what it take to please your supervisors as well as the community. Management was more hands off, which I loved as long as you knew your expectations and performed. Co-workers, some worked just as hard as you, some did not. Some were long term, and some were not, with that approach. The hardest part was management having a difficult time making sure everything was communicated effectively and everyone on the same page. The happiest part of the job, was knowing that you save someone from losing their home are their hard earned possessions or property.
Pros
Great attitudes, great results
Cons
N/A
Public Service federal job for rural areas.
Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 18, 2016
Management could get too micro manage and only care for production instead of being people oriented.
Customer service is not their priority but making their numbers.
Coworkers are hard worker but afraid of management and losing their job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could make a difference in people's lives, and that is satisfaction enough.
Pros
stable good pay.
Cons
not people oriented. allow managemnt to oppressed and abused workers
Easy to understand.
Welder / Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  El Reno, OKSeptember 28, 2016
Keep it up don't change a thing.I learned a lot about machinery such as back hoe's ditch witches, an assortment of tractors. And I really enjoyed the fabrication of corrals for the cattle. The overall experience was beneficial.
Pros
Good enviroment
Cons
A good place to work

Want to know more about Department of Agriculture?

Ask a question
Reconiliation of payment history/ audit of financial statments
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 15, 2016
USDA, Rural Development Harrisonburg, VA
Loan Technician August 2015- Present
- Audited financial statements of local communities/ towns
- Servicing to keep loans in Federal Government Compliance
- Reconcile payment history
- Evaluate repayment ability
- Compile loan application packets
Productive work enviornment
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2016
Fast paced. Garnered teamwork skills that were fundamental for career development. Growth potential. Various training opportunity's. Great place to network, and reliable management to learn from.
Pros
great place to network
Typical Office Job
Volunteer Office Duties (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87109June 26, 2016
I loved working for the USDA they try to work with you in every way possible and provide you with what you need to get your job done efficiently. Their Management is well staffed and experienced so they are very knowledgeable and dependent. The hardest part was waiting for lunch!
Pros
To many to list compared to non Gov jobs
Great orginazation-Farm Service Agency
County Office Trainee (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 17, 2016
You assist landowners and farmers on a daily basis to receive government subsidies. Work with genuine people all around. Not just within the office but the producers themselves.
Benefits
A typical day at work
Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Hungry Horse, MTAugust 29, 2016
There is not really such thing as a typical day when you're working outdoors. As a river ranger I patrolled the river 3 days out of the week and did maintenance the remainder 2 days. It is a wonderful organization to work for seasonally.
Very productive and Friendly work environment. I really enjoyed the work ethics and learned a lot both professional and personal level.
SAP SD/CRM consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2016
loved working with the producers
Temporary Program Technician, USDA (Current Employee) –  Sidney, IAAugust 21, 2016
technical information relating to the farm bill, loading and updated producers data. working with a variety of software.educating and assisting producers with crop certification, contracts etc.
Independent work place.
Federal Trapper (Current Employee) –  Sawyer County, WINovember 5, 2016
This is an independent work environment. I have had the opportunity to give workshops for co-workers and other state employees. I have learned how to manage my time and work with many organizations.
Personnel Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2016
Day to day work tempo is always on a steady pace, with people that are about the mission. From the top to the bottom, the team concept is used and we are all readily available for any && ever ask given to us
Excellent Company
Office Automation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 1, 2016
I loved working for this agency. I was sad to go, but it was a temporary position. They tried to bring me on permanently, but was unable to.

I have nothing bad to say about this agency.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2