Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Assistant Chief Plant & Animal Quarantine (Current Employee) –  American SamoaMarch 30, 2017
The management is the best, I enjoy working here but will have to find another job due to relocation for educational purposes. I would recommend others to apply to this department.
Pros
staff members, pay, hospitality, benefits
a typical day at work
Assistant in office systems (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoMarch 29, 2017
It was a very comfortable office. I was an intern and I learned a lot working there. Everyday I had my tasks and I got them done on time. My supervisor was a very responsible person and she make sure that I had all that I needed to get my work done.
This position was my favorite.
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKMarch 25, 2017
The agency was a great place to work. The people in Alaska are very friendly and knowledgeable. The weather took its toll though. Also, there was little or no rental housing in the area.
Pros
federal agency business is interesting
Cons
the small, secluded town provided little amenities such as health care and housing options
Fascinating working in food industry where food is processed.
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMarch 24, 2017
A typical day was not always typical because of the dynamics of being a government official working in a private industry environment.

I learned how to deal with people more effectively and be more sympathetic, reasonable, and patient.

Workplace culture was very interactive in some respects to asking questions from the plant personnel in charge.

The hardest part of the job was working slaughter when I was called upon to perform that function.

The most enjoyable portion of the job was to meet and discuss the job functions with colleagues and their perspective from their job experiences. Also, discussing with plant personnel about the expectations regarding the regulations that they are required to abide.
Pros
Health insurance benefits
Cons
Working slaughter
Great
Mortgage Analyst (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 12, 2017
This is a great place to work at. There is no room for growth if there is a hiring freeze put in place.

Overall it is a great company for veterans or college grads.
Exciting and Rewarding
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Idaho City, IDMarch 11, 2017
I wrapped up my third season at the front desk with the Forest Service, in Idaho City, on the Boise National Forest. As expected, it was exciting and rewarding. I was introduced to the enormous opportunities this land offers and the demands of a diverse public. Hesitantly, I declined a GS-04 seasonal 1039 position with the ICRD as I had been facing difficult family matters.

Typically, I greeted people from all over the world along with a cohesive group of passionate, fact driven, hard-working co-workers. Tolerant, generous and smart.

General office work; pick up and sort mail, answer and screen phone calls, camping/cabin rentals and permit sales, stock pamphlets, daily check-in and update wildfire information.
Pros
Always fascinating
Cons
Long way to town
Helena Interagency Hotshot Crew (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTMarch 5, 2017
The Forest Service operates in many diverse places which is nice to be able to move around and see many pretty places that you can have a positive impact on. I recommend working here if you can.
Time management, love for learning a MUST
PROGRAM TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Box Butte County, NEMarch 3, 2017
Typical work schedule for a FSA county office is 8-4:30 with a 30 minute lunch. Other schedule options may be available depending on the preferences of the CED and District Director. A regular day includes phone calls, email, producer appointments & scheduling, filing, and use of proprietary web-based applications. Training is mostly by conference call and live video, but can sometimes be a physical training session with travel required.
The producers are the best part of the job. As a Program Tech you have the ability to help or hinder their operations, and the outcome is directly related to how well you do your job. It is a mentally demanding position, and with deadlines, changes to programs, new farm bills, new producers, record changes, plus the many varied and different programs that all have different rules and deadlines that are administered by the agency, it is very easy to get sidetracked and swept up in the chaos. You need to have good personal time management skills, a want to learn constantly, the flexibility to switch gears and programs regularly, and a dedication to the success of your office team. A poorly run County Office is a nightmare, not just for the employees, but especially for the producers who potentially have to deal with the resulting mismanagement for years to come.
The office I worked in had 3 full staffing rollovers in 2 and 1/2 years. This is not typical for the agency. The majority of open positions is due to the large numbers of retiring staff. The majority of my fellow employees in other offices had been with the agency for at least 10 years.
  more... Nebraska also offers a mentor program to new county office employees that pairs them with an experienced tech with the same main program areas. This helps retain new employees that can often feel overwhelmed at the sheer amount of information they are expected to process in the first year of employment. There is also the opportunity for advancement to either a Key Program Technician or County Executive Trainee, which then becomes a County Executive Director (CED) after a year of on the job training. There are also State Office Specialists as well, who focus on a few key program areas and provide guidance to the PTs.  less
Pros
Lots of paid leave
Cons
Government red tape
Some times you are able to travel
Federal meat inspector (Former Employee) –  Arkansas City, KSMarch 2, 2017
I am able to look for pathology to put good profit out for the safety of the consumer.everyday you see and learn diffrent pathology health insurance is good also the thrift saving plan is great
Pros
Heath insurance
Cons
Sometimes short breaks
It was a great place to work with friendly employees and clean safe environment.
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Garner, IAMarch 1, 2017
I assisted with certification of acres for the farm producers on a daily basis at the counter and inputing data into the computer. I also learned a little about the loan programs and assisted in organizing feed grain farm records and CRP program records. Every day was a different experience which was a good thing. The wait for the ID card to be able to use the computer system was the only negative part of the job. Co-workers and management were helpful in all aspects of the job.
Aquisitiion - Contract Closeouts
Data Entry Clerk - Contractor (Former Employee) –  355 E St sw,Wash. DC, 12TH Fl, 20024February 28, 2017
Termination came suddenly. Otherwise the experience was OK.
This is all I can say at this time. Working with people with different backgrounds and cultures was very enjoyable and fulfilling.
Positive workplace environment
NRCS Clerical Contractor/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNFebruary 16, 2017
In a government job any exuberance, hustle or willingness to work hard is met with the greatest praise and appreciation. There are large volumes of work and few people to do it.
Pros
Union level Pay and healthcare contribution of an aditional $4.27 an hour
Cons
Drab office, Large workload, bureaucracy
productive and fun people to work with
HVI Operator (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAFebruary 15, 2017
I love working here its a seasonal job and it help me out tremendously because its around Christmas time. I love seeing the looks on my kids faces when I go Christmas shopping. This jobs makes our Christmas the best ever. Even though you work a lot of hours its worth every penny in the end.
Good place to work as long as you kiss butt of supervisors that are not qualified for there job.
Engineering Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COFebruary 13, 2017
When you do your job to best that people have ever seen and all your peers are writing e/mails to your supervisor saying what an amazing operator you are and you are suppose to be an automatic rehire for the position but you are not called back and are given no reason for not being called back. This is very poor management of the resource of the people who are in charge and do not deserve or have the credentials to be in the position they hold ! Hiring people just because they are a minority is wrong ! If you do not have the credentials or experience for the job, then you should not be considered. The forest service hires people that an individual likes, not the best qualified and this is because they themselves are not qualified for the position they hold.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
People in positions of authority or supervisors that are not qualified for the jobs they hold.
Gained valuable experience with a great team of coworkers
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 11, 2017
Working with Dept. of Agriculture has given me the opportunity to experience the benefits of federal employment, with work life balance and a very supportive team who has given me the time and experience needed to obtain gainful employment after completing my Bachelors degree in Psychology with minor in Human Resources.
Pros
Flexible work schedule with work home balance
Cons
No benefits as a paid intern
Assisting farmers was a privilege
District Director (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDFebruary 9, 2017
Its great to help farmers who supply the food in our grocery stores. The programs are often complicated so you need to communicate in everyday language for great customer service. The relations with the farm community was excellent.
Pros
Pay and benefits excellent.
Cons
Change in management too often for continuity of operations.
Six Rivers Forest Service
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I worked with the GIS coordinator and he was very open and allowed me to work independently. The GIS data was very well organized and supported on a national level. The next level manager was a little too micro-managey but on the whole it was a great place to work.
Pros
technology support, good mentors, conservation work
Cons
low pay, micromanaged
Awesome
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 7, 2017
This is one of the Federal departments that really takes work/life balance seriously. I am so proud to be a part of this team. I have worked for the Federal Government for almost 9 years and this is by far the best department I have worked for.
Great job
Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSFebruary 1, 2017
Wish I could stay I loved it everything went well and the workers were brilliant. They encouraged me daily and helped me get through the day. They are all great people
USDA is as best as good.
Foresty Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Shasta, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Forestry fires and technology to create the paths or perimeter of our collective destiny. Just outside the mile and onward into the great and good high trees like sequoias again some day!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2