Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

Overall rating good
Rural Development Specialist/Loan Approval (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work. Reviewing daily activities to be completed such as taking applications for housing repair and purchase loans. Determining dead lines for eligibility reviews and housing inspections. Ordering residential mortgage credit reports, reviewing credit reports. Mailing verifications to employers, financial institutions, landlords, and references. I have learned several things through my job as a Technician and a Specialist. How to take a application from start to finish and enter into the computer data base. Determining eligibility based on income, credit, and repayment ability. I enjoyed working with my co-workers as we worked as a team. Most of the management were understanding and helped with problems in anyway they could. Some managers did not respond in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was turning down an application for a family in need because they did not qualify for a housing repair loan or a purchase loan. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping families become homeowners for the first time and a child saying they have their very own bedroom now.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Not enough help to cover all duties due to budget cuts
Fun Work place
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron, GAJanuary 18, 2016
I would go into work at 9 o'clock am and I begin my day by preparing nutrient agar, which is a yellow powder mixed with water and after I prepare it I would place the agar in the autoclave to sterilize it and later I would wait for the flask to cool down then I would mix different bacteria into the agar to help determine which bacteria would fight off different pathogens that grow on the different crops around the area, but my focus was on peaches.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Customer Service Friendly
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2016
Take inventory or examine merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished. Answer customers' questions about merchandise and advice customers on merchandise selection.Compare merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.Receive, open, unpack and issue sales floor merchandise.Requisition merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.
Learning new laws in Ag., the traveling that I get to do, just a great part time job.
Supervisor Enumerator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2015
Interesting profession that has been enjoyable. Team members are interesting as they along with myself are a team, we work together whatever needs to be accomplished. The Sacramento office is very pleasing and helpful. Washington D.C. officers come to our training classes and again they are enjoyable. This job is important as it is the Ag. community that feeds the nation and any way we can help is always a great feeling.
Pros
Wages, other enumerators on team, working together is accomplish a report, able to pick our own hours, the variety of the reports sends us to many interesting sites.
Cons
There are no Cons, it is a great part time job.
Working on NJ turnpike to assist travelers
Relief Sup. Public Health Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARApril 26, 2016
Started as part time/full time when in high school and thru college (able to work when returning home on breaks. People were fun to work with. Started as porter, to dish washer, to prep cook, to li ne cook, to grill cook.
Pros
Free food, fun staff
Great place to work!
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSDecember 16, 2014
The Department of Agriculture was a great place to work. A typical day at work for me was typing letters, memos, faxes and answering a multiple line telephone. The management team was great. The hardest part of my job was maintaining employment while attending school full time. My co-workers were warm and friendly and the most important part of my job was job security, and great benefits. I resigned from this job to attend school full time.
Pros
great benefits and working environment!
Cons
maintaining a full time job while in school
Productive place to work ... Best experience ever
Telephone Interviewer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Olivette, MOOctober 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Entry level position
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJanuary 12, 2016
I was given the opportunity through a temporary job service to work at this office. My supervisors were impressed with my work and they created a entry level position in order to employee me full-time. It has been many years since I have worked there. The environment was pleasant but I needed higher pay. I advanced my title and position after being employed 2 years here.
Productive workplace with strong teambuilding mentality.
Hotshot/Handcrew or Engine Member (Former Employee) –  Ruidoso, NMDecember 1, 2015
I worked on a highly trained wildland fire hand crew called a "hotshot crew". We were dispatched to multiple wildfires over several fire seasons. A typical day at work while not on fire assignments generally consisted of training and maintenance. I learned a lot of different things ranging from wildland suppression tactics to firs aid and CPR. I had many skilled and highly trained co-workers. The most enjoyable part of this job was the opportunity to travel all over the U.S.
Pros
Travel, good pay.
Love working here
PPQ Aid (Current Employee) –  Ponce, PRApril 13, 2016
I really like working here the only thing is that it is a limited appointant oportunity. You learn a lot about agriculture and pests, insects and other factors that affect agricultural products economically.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
night shift, temporary position
Ok place to work.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 30, 2015
I make my own schedule when it comes to maintenance and appointments. Supervisor doesn't micro-manage, communication sometimes isn't always clear. Co-workers are easy to get along with and very helpful. Hardest part of job would be the deadlines we have to meet sometimes due to lack of funds. A program may need vehicles by certain date however no money is available to service vehicle by that date. Most enjoyable part of job would be making own schedule and if kids get sick not a problem taking off.
Pros
Kid friendly, make own work schedule
Cons
Lack of funds
Privilege to serve in a refence laboratory for the United States
Biological Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2016
I am privileged to serve with a superior group of microbiologists and veterinarians, contributing to two eradication programs protecting US food sources. The environment allows for professional growth and plenty of opportunities for both scientific and leadership skills.
Wonderful place to work!
IT Specialist (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Raytown, MOApril 23, 2016
Everyone there is extremely friendly and very helpful to new employees. Lots of guidance and help is available if needed. Everyone there works withing a "team" mentality so no one is ever left to feel "stranded".
Very business like atmosphere due to sensitive cases.
Deputy Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 12, 2014
Arrive to work at 6:30am to read and answer emails received over night. Contact Field Supervisors as to updates on sensitity investigations. Update Management Team on any issues that might need attention. Meet with Intell personnel as to critical requests made by field. The hardest part of my duties was the large area covered by my responsibilities. I enjoyed the people and assisting them in achieving their goals within the organization. Managing the Eastrn Region field operations(all states east the Mississippi including MN) was a challenge.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
bureaucracy of government
good working place with great employes and staff
HVI Operator (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 23, 2016
good working envirment and great people to work with. No stressing with the staff. The only thing is not good is seasonal and like the pay
Pros
good pay
Cons
its seasonal and no insurance
Excellent atmosphere for research
Fire Management Specialist (Fuels Planner) (Current Employee) –  Eldorado National ForestJune 2, 2016
Conducted research on mountain meadow systems in the Sierra Nevada. Used prescribed fire as a means of restoring the historic range of variability.
job
OFFICE AUTOMATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2016
Successful Community Support Worker seeking opportunity to obtain a position within business where my years of experience and education can enhance the growth and success of company.
Steady work with good benefits.
Poultry Inspector (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJuly 13, 2014
Inspected beef and poultry 8 hours a day. We worked with a variety of different cultures in the plants which was interesting.
Management at the level I was at was horrible. My last supervisor only liked to stay in his office and feel important. His actual job was to be out in the plant supervising the employees,which he rarely did. Consequently we had inspectors that slept on the line,singing and dancing and just general horse play.This was very hard for me to tolerate as i believe we had a very important job to do,keep food safe for consumers.This was a wide spread problem nearly everywhere I worked, supervisory veterinarians not caring about what was being passed on to the consumer,very disturbing!!
Pros
steady work with decent pay and benefits.
Cons
non caring, no ethic coworkers.
Having a productive day, accomplishing my responsibilities, communicating with others.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasNovember 4, 2015
I enjoy challenges, place high expectations on myself and accomplishing responsibilities based on good time management and performing outstanding work. I enjoy working in a team environment, supporting my colleagues and assisting them when possible. I am self-motivated and require little direction.
Food Inspector
Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Moultrie, GAJune 20, 2016
As a food Inspector with the Agency a typical day to was to report to my work stand and grade/inspect whole chicken carcasses as they pass the USDA Inspection station.