Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marion, SCOctober 3, 2015
Basically, made sure farmers had the right insurance on there land just incase the weather didn't work in their favor. I also answered phones and updated our files.
Pros
Cons
small town
Productive and great workplace
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2015
Most days when I get into the office I check emails for any assignments for the day. Provide high-level administrative and business support to members of the executive management team. Manage Associate Assistant Secretary’s calendar - plan and schedule meetings, teleconferences and travel. The most enjoyable part of my job is I have GREAT coworkers.
Pros
free Gym membership
Cons
Short lunch breaks
A typical starting point of work
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesOctober 2, 2015
My first job to work in a government agency. Not too much presure in here. More fun and less work as i am just starting this job. More fun because i get to know a lot of people, i get to coordinate to clients and develop my selfconfident views to social awareness.
Pros
Cons
Short break, healthcare
Great Environment
Program Technician (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DEOctober 1, 2015
Great Place, I like working with the producers. Gained alot of experience, hardest part of job is retaining the information because it changes constantly.
Helping customers with desktop problems
Junior Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2015
I love the work environment, we treat each other like family. I love the work I do because this is the first job in my field.
Day of being a wildland firefighter
Forest Ranger/ Wildand Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Florida forest Service at Palmdale Forestry SiteSeptember 18, 2015
Everyday was very productive we had to multitask and think on our feet every minute while on the job. I loved fighting the fires that was the most enjoyable part because you do something that is selfless in a sense that you love to do. I learned alot from everything to how sharpen blades on a lawn mower, to operating a Fire truck that was the size of a semi and building firelines to contain a fire with a bulldozer with a plow on the end hitched to it.
Pros
benefits, the job period was a fun work place with something new and rewarding everday
Cons
N/A
Very rewarding job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDSeptember 16, 2015
Greet parents and students
Started school day with students by reciting Pledge of Allegiance
Moved on to general studies for elementary school age children
which included reading, writing, mathematics, science, social
studies
Great work environment. Great benefits and good oportunity to advance.
Community Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTSeptember 16, 2015
Working for USDA is great. They provide excellent work schedule options to accommodate you. Good co-workers and good support from upper management.
Pros
Great flexible schedules and excellent benefits
Cons
Funds are not always available, therefore one works on the same files for long periods of time until funds become available, Fixed schedules not having to work overtime.
Paid Internship
Rural Development (Former Employee) –  Forrest City,ArSeptember 14, 2015
During my time at USDA I was mostly inside the office updating EQIP files and learning the daily duties of the company. I would love to work in this field again
I enjoyed working with others and keeping in a active environment
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, IDSeptember 11, 2015
I enjoyed the small lab and many of the people I worked with were wonderful. The physical work at this job was enjoyable and even though the days were long we did have 3 day weekends which made it wonderful.
Pros
Benefits and insurance was awesome
Cons
12 hour days
Soil Con Technician (Current Employee) –  LouisianaSeptember 9, 2015
I love my job, the people and the work. The downside is the inability for me to grow a career due to a lack of qualifications. Advancing in the Agricultural industry without an Ag degree has been a difficult feat and is now causing me to seek employment elsewhere.
Good company to work for, that is why i want to be there.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Napa, CASeptember 6, 2015
My ability to lead and manage a team and I’m also efficient, well organized, creative and self-motivated, I have excellent interpersonal skills. I believe that my professional experience in education service would make me valuable asset to your program. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you personally to examine the position in detail.
good
Great workplace and job
Temporary Soil Conservation Aid (Former Employee) –  Union, WVAugust 24, 2015
I loved working with the USDA/NRCS for two summers. They are wonderful people to work with and always have a positive attitude. Meeting clients and occasionally working outdoors are a plus as well.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Great location
Supervisory Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ORAugust 16, 2015
Working in Central Oregon is great. Supporting the Deschutes national forest was rewarding. Job security but busy in the summer.
Great people and flexiable hours
Biological Science Aid (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 14, 2015
Great Place to Work!

Responsible for rearing naval orange worms from larval stage through egg-laying, including accurate labeling, rearing, handling of live insects, processing samples for analysis and storage in the refrigerator or -20C to -80C freezer as needed.
Overall Rating - 4
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 9, 2015
Worked at the organization for six years. The organization allows flexible work time and schedules and time for exercise, which promotes mental wellness. The work is challenging and rewarding at the Regional level. Overall, the employees of the organization are really nice and willing to assist others. The problem is that promotional opportunities in my field are very rare. The most challenging part of the job is the work load. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other employees and I like the job so I find it enjoyable as well.
Military job.
Administrative Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 21, 2015
This job teaches you accountability to your superiors, peers and subordinates. Being a military member provides an experience like no other career can provide. It's a life style that is not for everyone, just a select few.
Eh...It's okay
Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2015
Great starter job, but don't look to advance. May not be the best for the ambitious. I have been here for two years but am aggressively looking for a place that will allow me to further develop my skills.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  beltsville,mdJuly 14, 2015
great place to work friendly people great atmosphere. Easily adaptable workplace. typical day at work was routine cleaning of bathrooms, offices & other personnel designated areas
Productive workplace
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Herndon,DCJuly 10, 2015
Nice place to work at. Good management. Work culture is good. There is a lot of scope for learning which is very important.