Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly workplace
Loan Specialist (GS-9) (Former Employee) –  Redmond, OR 97756October 23, 2016
The incumbent possesses knowledge of the principles, practices, concepts and theories of law (Federal and State), regulations, and policies as they relate to the servicing and liquidation of guaranteed loans. The incumbent uses this knowledge and skill to apply techniques to obtain and evaluate a borrower's ability (or lack thereof) to reinstate a delinquent loan and to conclude whether a borrower has the potential to repay the loan.
Productive work enviornment
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2016
Fast paced. Garnered teamwork skills that were fundamental for career development. Growth potential. Various training opportunity's. Great place to network, and reliable management to learn from.
Pros
great place to network
Wonderful Agency
Trainee and Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 10, 2016
The USDA FOREST SERVICE is a wonderful agency to begin a career. The agency allows applicants to gain valuable work experience as a students, veterans, limited term employee, contactor, etc. The agency has several positions for those who have a love of the outdoors and want to protect those assets. The agency has clear directives, goals, and set measurable standards for all staff. Like most federal agencies, the USDA Forest Service rewards their employees who furthers their education and seek additional training.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
some work locations are in rural areas
Application Security Engineer.
Application Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2016
Over 7+ years’ experiencein web application security end-to-end as per SSDLC phases including Security Source Code Review, Secure Design Review, Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessment, Threat Modeling and its Attack vectors for further analysis in Security Design Review.

• Good in finding Vulnerabilities in Source Code Review & Exploiting threats in Design Reviews.
• Good in Myappsecurity Threat Modeler and MS SDL tool for SSDLC threat modeling.
• Hands on Experience in conducting Penetration testing with various security tools.
• Conduct Penetration Testing against different technological domains including, but not limited to, web applications, windows applications, web services, databases, flash applications and wireless network environments.
• Strong in different security testing Methodologies in both automation & manual.
• Worked with OWASP Top 10 Vulnerabilities like SQL Injection, Cross Site Scripting (XSS), CSRF, Session Fixation, Session Hijack etc.
• Experienced with Code review tools like HP Fortify, Checkmarx, IBM Appscan, Veracode and also different Hacking Tools like Cenzic Hailstorm, HP WebInspect, IBMAppscan, Paros, Burp Suite and Various Proxy tools.
• Having good experience in Mobile Security Testing methodologies and good experience on iOS, Android and Blackberry Applications Mobile Static Security Analysis.
• Having good experience in Web Services Testing using with SOAPUI tool for Security issues and also have good knowledge on RESTful Services and AWS Amazon Web Services.
• Strong knowledge of writing SQL Queries, Stored Procedures, Functions,
  more... Packages and Triggers in SQL Server.
• Worked on Different Operating Systems LINUX and Windows NT/98/2000/XP/2008 R2 Server.
• Prior to Web Application Security, I have good experience in .NET Development, Java Programming and PHP scripting.
• Good Insight into the Certification and Accreditation process for applications.
• Good knowledge of NIST, FIPS-199 and OMB standards
• Self-starter with very good logical skills suitable for process design, data modeling and development
Easy to understand.
Welder / Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  El Reno, OKSeptember 28, 2016
Keep it up don't change a thing.I learned a lot about machinery such as back hoe's ditch witches, an assortment of tractors. And I really enjoyed the fabrication of corrals for the cattle. The overall experience was beneficial.
Pros
Good enviroment
Cons
A good place to work
Fun workplace. Its a good place for professional growth. Good training ground.
Administrative Aide VI (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesSeptember 10, 2016
Department of agriculture is a government agency in the Philippines. The agency is a very good place work with because of the good management and the professionalism and respect the employees have.
Pros
Free snacks. Free seminars
Cons
Short breaks.
Excellent Company
Office Automation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 1, 2016
I loved working for this agency. I was sad to go, but it was a temporary position. They tried to bring me on permanently, but was unable to.

I have nothing bad to say about this agency.
A typical day at work
Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Hungry Horse, MTAugust 29, 2016
There is not really such thing as a typical day when you're working outdoors. As a river ranger I patrolled the river 3 days out of the week and did maintenance the remainder 2 days. It is a wonderful organization to work for seasonally.
little to no initiative, menial tasks
Grants and Agreement Intern (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXAugust 24, 2016
little to no urgency in when tasks need to be completed, assigned menial tasks and often delayed projects due to the progress of others
loved working with the producers
Temporary Program Technician, USDA (Current Employee) –  Sidney, IAAugust 21, 2016
technical information relating to the farm bill, loading and updated producers data. working with a variety of software.educating and assisting producers with crop certification, contracts etc.
Personnel Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2016
Day to day work tempo is always on a steady pace, with people that are about the mission. From the top to the bottom, the team concept is used and we are all readily available for any && ever ask given to us
Wonderful Stepping Stone and Working Environment
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 18, 2016
A typical work day consists of sifting through e-mails, answering and routing phone calls, assisting all of the employees of Methods Development’s needs, routing calls and visitor’s for my supervisor, assisting in other departments with travels, purchasing and any questions. Scheduling and preparing for meetings, reviewing our many cooperative agreements budgets, attending meetings, prioritizing my daily tasks.
I am fortunate to have been given the opportunity to learn and acquire many skills working for the state of Florida, some of which are learning new programs and databases, Microsoft products, purchasing and the guidelines, preparing and processing travels, interacting with many other divisions and agencies, budgets and cooperative agreements, taking tasks head on and prioritizing my agenda.
Management has always been amazing where I have worked, with an open door policy and an open ear. Quick to take into account a multitude of ideas from our many committees as well as being involved when needed.
As for my coworkers, supervisor’s included – we are a family here. We all help out when needed, no matter what department or division. There are many different aspects from administrative, to inspectors, scientists, lab techs that interact every day, all day and are never too busy to talk shop, help out if needed or make plans to help a coworker move that weekend.
The hardest part of my job is when we run out of coffee. I love every aspect of my job, and find nothing difficult about a challenge.
The most enjoyable part about my job would be the fast paced, heavy traffic,
  more... unknown challenges that I deal with on a daily basis. It is what I thrive at, and my coworkers (family) are an extra added bonus.  less
productive fun place to work at
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2016
It was a chill laid back environment to work at and very productive.
Management is very good with letting you figure things out yourself but sets attained goals
Good Company
Sr.Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 15, 2016
it is an government company and has nice project team and it is Well structured, safe, great coworkers and bosses.overall it is a good company where we can gain some knowledge.
high energy great job with and wonderful team to work with
SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Stoneville, MSAugust 3, 2016
typical day was working in the crops irrigating or weeding them. I learned how to irrigate as well as some shop duties while working with grinders and other tools. my managers where excellent people and very patient. hardest part of the job was the heat at times. most enjoyable was the team I was part of.
Pros
teamwork aspect
Cons
Very productive and Friendly work environment. I really enjoyed the work ethics and learned a lot both professional and personal level.
SAP SD/CRM consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2016
Good place for employment.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2016
Great place to work and provide great customer service to clients. I work day for me started around 6 am in the morning. I would be the first to arrive so I was the tam member that came in and st the pace for the rest of the staff for the day. I learned how the government works and what it take to please your supervisors as well as the community. Management was more hands off, which I loved as long as you knew your expectations and performed. Co-workers, some worked just as hard as you, some did not. Some were long term, and some were not, with that approach. The hardest part was management having a difficult time making sure everything was communicated effectively and everyone on the same page. The happiest part of the job, was knowing that you save someone from losing their home are their hard earned possessions or property.
Pros
Great attitudes, great results
Cons
N/A
Reconiliation of payment history/ audit of financial statments
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 15, 2016
USDA, Rural Development Harrisonburg, VA
Loan Technician August 2015- Present
- Audited financial statements of local communities/ towns
- Servicing to keep loans in Federal Government Compliance
- Reconcile payment history
- Evaluate repayment ability
- Compile loan application packets
Very professional setting with well qualified employees. It was all business and not mush flexibility
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 13, 2016
Very professional and strict place to work with very little flexibility. The work is according to USDA standards and procedures that our followed in accordance with the farm bill.
Pros
Schedule M-F with all federal holidays off
Cons
Strict office proceedures with no latitude available
Great Place to Grow
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 28, 2016
A great work environment, great place to work and great people to work with. This place is a great place to grow personally and work wise.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2