Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Aquisitiion - Contract Closeouts
Data Entry Clerk - Contractor (Former Employee) –  355 E St sw,Wash. DC, 12TH Fl, 20024February 28, 2017
Termination came suddenly. Otherwise the experience was OK.
This is all I can say at this time. Working with people with different backgrounds and cultures was very enjoyable and fulfilling.
Positive workplace environment
NRCS Clerical Contractor/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNFebruary 16, 2017
In a government job any exuberance, hustle or willingness to work hard is met with the greatest praise and appreciation. There are large volumes of work and few people to do it.
Pros
Union level Pay and healthcare contribution of an aditional $4.27 an hour
Cons
Drab office, Large workload, bureaucracy
productive and fun people to work with
HVI Operator (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAFebruary 15, 2017
I love working here its a seasonal job and it help me out tremendously because its around Christmas time. I love seeing the looks on my kids faces when I go Christmas shopping. This jobs makes our Christmas the best ever. Even though you work a lot of hours its worth every penny in the end.
Good place to work as long as you kiss butt of supervisors that are not qualified for there job.
Engineering Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COFebruary 13, 2017
When you do your job to best that people have ever seen and all your peers are writing e/mails to your supervisor saying what an amazing operator you are and you are suppose to be an automatic rehire for the position but you are not called back and are given no reason for not being called back. This is very poor management of the resource of the people who are in charge and do not deserve or have the credentials to be in the position they hold ! Hiring people just because they are a minority is wrong ! If you do not have the credentials or experience for the job, then you should not be considered. The forest service hires people that an individual likes, not the best qualified and this is because they themselves are not qualified for the position they hold.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
People in positions of authority or supervisors that are not qualified for the jobs they hold.
Gained valuable experience with a great team of coworkers
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 11, 2017
Working with Dept. of Agriculture has given me the opportunity to experience the benefits of federal employment, with work life balance and a very supportive team who has given me the time and experience needed to obtain gainful employment after completing my Bachelors degree in Psychology with minor in Human Resources.
Pros
Flexible work schedule with work home balance
Cons
No benefits as a paid intern
Assisting farmers was a privilege
District Director (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDFebruary 9, 2017
Its great to help farmers who supply the food in our grocery stores. The programs are often complicated so you need to communicate in everyday language for great customer service. The relations with the farm community was excellent.
Pros
Pay and benefits excellent.
Cons
Change in management too often for continuity of operations.
Six Rivers Forest Service
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I worked with the GIS coordinator and he was very open and allowed me to work independently. The GIS data was very well organized and supported on a national level. The next level manager was a little too micro-managey but on the whole it was a great place to work.
Pros
technology support, good mentors, conservation work
Cons
low pay, micromanaged
Awesome
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 7, 2017
This is one of the Federal departments that really takes work/life balance seriously. I am so proud to be a part of this team. I have worked for the Federal Government for almost 9 years and this is by far the best department I have worked for.
Great job
Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSFebruary 1, 2017
Wish I could stay I loved it everything went well and the workers were brilliant. They encouraged me daily and helped me get through the day. They are all great people
USDA is as best as good.
Foresty Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Shasta, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Forestry fires and technology to create the paths or perimeter of our collective destiny. Just outside the mile and onward into the great and good high trees like sequoias again some day!
Friendly helpful customer service.
Specialty Crops Insoector (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 24, 2017
I grade and inspect processed product. I provide excellent customer service. I enjoy my paperwork and writing certifications to valley agricultural applicants.
Productive place to work for
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63120January 22, 2017
This was my own business. It was a lot of fun and at times was challenging. when we completed our contract it was a very inspiring feeling.
Employee and customer-focused organizaiton
Programming Tech (Former Employee) –  Kirksville, MOJanuary 20, 2017
The pace of the organization depends on the time of the year and if new programs or farm bills take place. Each employee has a few programs that they are in control of and are responsible for checking daily updates for new information regarding those programs. The hardest part of the job is dealing with technical malfunctions. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers daily and having the opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Flexible hours, compensation, benefits
Cons
Technical malfunctions
Customer Service
Contract Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 18, 2017
I love working for the agency as far as providing contractual service to customers. All of the coworkers were very helpful. The hardest part of my job was my contract company and not getting paid on time.
Pros
working with people
Cons
not getting paid by contract company on time
n/a
Advance Mac Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2017
Need to better the relationships between federal employees and contractors

Contractor need the same benefits of teleworking and set budget for new or up to date support equipment
Decent place to start
Information Security Officer Zolon Tech (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 12, 2017
It was an ok place to work but may not be right for younger employees as most of the people that work there are either in their 30s or their 40s. The culture may not be right for everyone especially if you are younger
Great coworkers and decent pay
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Park Falls, WIJanuary 4, 2017
People at my particular office were very easy to work with and were always willing to help whenever I needed it. While it is well known that pay is typically lower in the public sector than in the private, it was still decent. Sometimes it was frustrating working with slow computers, since government budgets fluctuate a lot. And because I was an intern, I typically was nudged to working with the older, slower computers. Still, an enjoyable place to work, and you don't have to take your work home with you.
Loan Specialist, helping small communities succeed
Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WY 82240January 3, 2017
Recruit and promote USDA Rural Development Programs.
Process application, financial analysis, underwriting, closing and servicing of loans. Public speaking and relationship building.
Pros
Public Servent helping comminities
Cons
Poor Managment
Very informative place to work
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Mankato, KSJanuary 2, 2017
I learned so much in the year and a half that i was employed there. I love working with people. I got to meet so many different people there. I love working with the public
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short lunch break
I enjoy going to work everyday
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boone, IADecember 21, 2016
There are so much to learn about conservation. My days go very fast due to the workload i have. I get all govt holidays off.