Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

Statistical Clerk
Statistical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 9, 2015
This was my first position I held with the US Government. It was a great place to begin my federal career.

After a few years of being there, I transferred to another position within the Dept. of Agriculture that was closer to home.
Pros
Great Salary and benefits
Cons
Long Commute
Telecommuting postion reviewing grant applications
Farmers Market Promotion Program Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 9, 2015
This was an interesting job and I had pleasant teammates. Work hours were flexible with minimum supervision. Would enjoy working for them again. Received a nice thank you email indicating future work a possibility.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no face to face
good employers
Peanut Inspector, Farmers Stock Peanuts (Current Employee) –  Albany, GANovember 5, 2015
Glad to have the job. I wish that it was full time instead of seasonal. The hours are long but I feel like I worked for my money at the end of the day.
Having a productive day, accomplishing my responsibilities, communicating with others.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasNovember 4, 2015
I enjoy challenges, place high expectations on myself and accomplishing responsibilities based on good time management and performing outstanding work. I enjoy working in a team environment, supporting my colleagues and assisting them when possible. I am self-motivated and require little direction.
Productive and fun working place
Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2015
Everything is awesome. It really is. It is great. Words really can't explain how it is to be apart of so much and do what you got to do in oreder to do it.
Excellent place for young researchers.
Biological Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 30, 2015
Excellent opportunity to advance both practical field and laboratory scientific knowledge while surrounded by experts in the field.
Pros
Great co-workers, scientific knowlege advancement
Cons
Difficult to secure a permanent position.
A day at work in my office...!
State Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 27, 2015
I work in an agency that helps farmers improve their land. We have a very diverse group of employees.
My job is to maintain files and assist the various groups with the administrative duties, answer phones, put postage on our system and to ship the UPS packages each day. Each day is a varied set of duties...just depends on the day and what is going on in the office. I enjoy learning new processes and trying new projects. I have learned to be very flexible!
Pros
Great benefits.
Productive place to work ... Best experience ever
Telephone Interviewer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Olivette, MOOctober 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Always something new to learn!
SOIL CONSERVATIONIST TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHOctober 19, 2015
I loved how I was given individual attention when it came to learning new concept. They focus on your development within the agency to ensure your future success. As long as you are doing a good job you will have an opportunity to advance.
I cant
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAOctober 18, 2015
Nothing to say at this time other shake my head.

In the future perhaps, but not now. This was good starter job and a good career at least so I thought until.... It is a public health agency with various administrators with no public health degrees o no degree period, a joke.
Great place to work.
PROGRAM TECHNICIAN, GS (Former Employee) –  Pampa, TXOctober 14, 2015
I really enjoyed working for USDS Farm Services. I learned a lot about the land and what farmers plant in our area. As a Full Time Temporary I received 4 hours every 2 weeks of Sick Time and the same for Vacation. When it snowed if the school system in that area started late so did the office. I really enjoyed that safety.
Pros
Maxi-Flex Schedule
Cons
Temporary
Wok life balence
Civil Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 8, 2015
The staff is great and there are always opportunities to learn about new fields or get involved with interdisciplinary projects.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
starting pay is low
I enjoyed my job
Archaeologist Tec (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CAOctober 5, 2015
it was a grate learning experience and I enjoyed the job I learned lot about using computers maps and working with the public and filing paperwork and leading crews of 2-5 people I worked by my self as well as with others
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marion, SCOctober 3, 2015
Basically, made sure farmers had the right insurance on there land just incase the weather didn't work in their favor. I also answered phones and updated our files.
Pros
Cons
small town
Productive and great workplace
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2015
Most days when I get into the office I check emails for any assignments for the day. Provide high-level administrative and business support to members of the executive management team. Manage Associate Assistant Secretary’s calendar - plan and schedule meetings, teleconferences and travel. The most enjoyable part of my job is I have GREAT coworkers.
Pros
free Gym membership
Cons
Short lunch breaks
A typical starting point of work
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesOctober 2, 2015
My first job to work in a government agency. Not too much presure in here. More fun and less work as i am just starting this job. More fun because i get to know a lot of people, i get to coordinate to clients and develop my selfconfident views to social awareness.
Pros
Cons
Short break, healthcare
Great Environment
Program Technician (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DEOctober 1, 2015
Great Place, I like working with the producers. Gained alot of experience, hardest part of job is retaining the information because it changes constantly.
Helping customers with desktop problems
Junior Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2015
I love the work environment, we treat each other like family. I love the work I do because this is the first job in my field.
Day of being a wildland firefighter
Forest Ranger/ Wildand Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Florida forest Service at Palmdale Forestry SiteSeptember 18, 2015
Everyday was very productive we had to multitask and think on our feet every minute while on the job. I loved fighting the fires that was the most enjoyable part because you do something that is selfless in a sense that you love to do. I learned alot from everything to how sharpen blades on a lawn mower, to operating a Fire truck that was the size of a semi and building firelines to contain a fire with a bulldozer with a plow on the end hitched to it.
Pros
benefits, the job period was a fun work place with something new and rewarding everday
Cons
N/A
Very rewarding job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDSeptember 16, 2015
Greet parents and students
Started school day with students by reciting Pledge of Allegiance
Moved on to general studies for elementary school age children
which included reading, writing, mathematics, science, social
studies