Department of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

Great People Great Research
Biological Science Technician (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FloridaJune 15, 2015
We worked hard, we had great work friendships and I personally learned a lot. My supervisor was very promoting of learning new skills and we were given the freedom to work independently and were able to get so much done. Going to miss working here it was an honor and a wonderful experience.
Productive and fun enviroment
Education Specialist/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix,AzJune 9, 2015
Each day is a new challenge. Being able to make a difference in young people lives is a blessing. I get to meet new families everyday who are new to bringing their little ones to a childcare facility. Each day my communication skills get stronger and my experience gets better!
Pros
Being able to make a difference
Cons
No direct deposit
Strange but rewarding place to work
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 7, 2015
This was my first experience working for a Federal agency, and I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was for the level of bureaucratic red tape. The IT division of the USDA is extremely silo'd - in my opinion this leads to a great deal of the issues I confronted with efficient and effective troubleshooting, system administration and project management.

On the other hand, within my team on the Service Desk Organization, we were a highly supportive and enjoyable team to work with. Within the limitations of our purvue, we were efficient, effective, with a great deal of mutual support - no one on our team was afraid to ask for help, and everyone willingly dove in.

Were I offered the opportunity to return to the SDO as a direct Federal employee, or via a more reputable contracting agency, I would do so without hesitation.
Pros
Excellent teamwork, open and friendly workplace
Cons
Far too much bureaucratic red tape, politicking, and silo'd structure
Best Places I worked ever
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 6, 2015
A good work environment, disciplined co-workers have always been motivated me to work with. Though sometimes requirement will not be very clear and takes more time to verify.
Good place to start working at
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 27, 2015
They are very friendly and welcoming new employees.
Free breakfast on Mondays. Social gathering. Cool people.
Nice working area.Good for start a job.
a very productive workplace an fun to work
Greenhouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Alderson, WVMay 19, 2015
planted grass, trees, flowers, shrubs for companies all over the country. planted grasses along rivers banks from keeping them from washing away.
Pros
free lunches, health insurance
Cons
not alot of work in the winter
The environment allowed self expression inclusion and the ability to brainstorm
Human Resources Specialist (L/R) (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 16, 2015
The position was enthralling but limited with respect to diversity. The vision was to limit crossover which deflated most on how to transition from one specialty to another.
Agile, Scrum/Kanban, Project Management
Scrum Master/Agile Project Manager (Current Employee) –  DC Metro AreaMay 15, 2015
-Learned and practiced management style
-Provided servant leadership
-Work Breakdown
-Achieved milestones
-Excellent team work
- Agile PM
- Scrum/Kanban Practice
-Cross functional team
-Practicing 5 core agile values
-Utilizing predictive tool for defect management
Ever Changing and Political
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Meadville, PAMay 15, 2015
Department of Agriculture has many agencies within the confines of their title. Each division works for the betterment of the Agricultural community. Farm Bills are written and put in place, then different divisions administer the rules and regulations required. The Farm Service Agency works daily with the producers to teach compliance and eligibility. You are constantly learning new regulation and assisting with paperwork. This agency consists of very small 3-4 person county offices. In a given day, you could travel to farms, accept and process loans, disburse earned payments, accept and balance monthly statements, work with the producer at the counter. I enjoyed the constant learning. Management encouraged me to volunteer and take as much free training as possible. The most rewarding part of my day was working directly with the producers where I could explain programs and make them understand the purpose of the farm programs.
Pros
Free Learning
Cons
Not enough communication at upper levels.
it was educational highly professional job
FEDERAL PROTECTION SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDMay 14, 2015
Monitored federal grounds, facility and protected personnel, following policies and regulations of agency. And i responded to alarms backing follow co-workers up handle trouble people escorting them off property
Pros
good training and teamwork
Cons
alot of paperwork
Very helpful
GIS/Forestry Intern (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDMay 1, 2015
I would mostly due GIS work. My boss would always make sure I would understand a project before I started on one. The hardest part was learning how to identify trees.
Meaningful work but less than desirable work environment
Pathways Intern Economist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 27, 2015
Wonderful colleagues and meaningful work, but the bureaucracy and inefficiencies of working for the federal government can be very frustrating.
Slow atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Franklin, NEApril 23, 2015
I learned how to find the prices increase or decrease on certain crops for our location. Also how to distribute the correct amount of cash to the appropriate client for their crops turned in at that specific time frame.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Slow pace
Generous with benefits and time off.
Program Technician (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MIApril 21, 2015
Ten hour days administering Government policies and procedures. We are a small office which can be nice. I like interacting with our large customer base.
Pros
Always Learning
Cons
Delay in program implementations
Great place to work in Fort Collins
Biological Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 19, 2015
Great facilities, people and research community. It's perfect work, life balance when living in Fort Collins. Rarely need to work overtime and well funded research facility.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Politics
Productive and fun workplace with flexible schedule.
Social Service Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Laona, WIApril 16, 2015
The focus was on tasks at hand. Learned to embrace diversity, including diverse management style. Supervised subordinates with high degree of respect to the agency policy and remarkable work ethic. Even though not knowing what to expect each day at work was challenging, however, working with knowledgeable people was fun.
Pros
Lunch time not regulated as long as tasks are completed
Cons
Free lunch not provided
Good place to get started
Data Recorder (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 10, 2015
I work here as a student and it's a good job to feel like you're contributing to the safety of the nation. I am considered a contractor instead of a full time employee, so I don't go through most of the training, but I've heard that there is lots of support and education that goes on for employees.
Simply AMAZING!
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  PRApril 8, 2015
Loved working with USDA.
You can learn something new everyday. Get amazing experiences.
People at the office were great!
Just great!
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Limited appointment position
Overall rating good
Rural Development Specialist/Loan Approval (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work. Reviewing daily activities to be completed such as taking applications for housing repair and purchase loans. Determining dead lines for eligibility reviews and housing inspections. Ordering residential mortgage credit reports, reviewing credit reports. Mailing verifications to employers, financial institutions, landlords, and references. I have learned several things through my job as a Technician and a Specialist. How to take a application from start to finish and enter into the computer data base. Determining eligibility based on income, credit, and repayment ability. I enjoyed working with my co-workers as we worked as a team. Most of the management were understanding and helped with problems in anyway they could. Some managers did not respond in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was turning down an application for a family in need because they did not qualify for a housing repair loan or a purchase loan. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping families become homeowners for the first time and a child saying they have their very own bedroom now.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Not enough help to cover all duties due to budget cuts
Work place is nice and very friendly
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Wyndmoor, PAMarch 23, 2015
I am very happy to work with different culture people and environment.I enjoyed the work at all the time. I take problems as challenging and sportive task. I always finished my work with in the time line. Management was very good and helpful to me in other works. My colleagues are so nice and friendly. I used to discuss with them when I was having a problem with my work and they explained me very friendly how to solve the problems. The most enjoyable day was Once I finished my work successfully with in time line.