DEPARTMENT OF BUILDINGS Employee Reviews

Internship
CAD Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2017
As this was a month long internship there will not be much to say about the experience. How ever it was a worth while experience that has introduced me to the beautiful architecture present and past found thought out the New York city area.
Nice place heavy interaction with clients
Secretary /Counter clerk (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 20, 2016
Work helping companies and clients obtain there permits and license
for buildings. Co- workers nice a few laid back. Like everywhere learned so much. hardest part dealing with inspectors. I personally enjoy helping everyone.
Pros
Easy travel
Cons
dealing with inspectors at times.
Very Nice Agency to work with.
General Construction Estimator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 29, 2016
Dealing with Expeditors and professionals. Need patience. Very nice co-workers and management. Hardest part is to deal with Expeditors and professionals. Enjoyable part is to estimate the job and collect the fees.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Good Job
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
I had the best experience working for the Department of Buildings. Great City job with excellent benefits.
Productive and Good Customer Services
Developer Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2016
A typical day at work is great. The exciting aspects of my job are the unique projects that come with construction. I have learned a lot about interior and exterior design and enjoy seeing the final products after building construction. My colleagues are a great support system and we work as a team on a daily basis. The hardest part of my job is when the client delays the project due to financial reasons.
Pros
Project Completion
Cons
Client delays in the process
Positive experience
College Aid (Former Employee) –  New York, NyOctober 15, 2015
Department of Buildings required me to handle paperwork for companies searching for the city's approval to move forward with specific construction or scaffolding operations within that borough. I handled demolition, scaffolding, and site safety plans. I scheduled daily appointments through paperwork and computer logging. I also had responsibility of organizing and filing all paperwork and violations handed out through each inspector in that specific department. I was responsible for any and all phone calls from the public, including walk-in's, regarding a specific issue/appointment. My co-workers were helpful and informative throughout my experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to enter an office where everyone worked as a team.
Pros
Work schedule did not interfere with school schedule
Cons
No healthcare, sick leave, or vacation time/personal days
Productive, Informative, and a very fun experience.
Office Support Worker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 27, 2015
As a summer college intern, this was a good experience for myself. This job was much different than my current field in Criminal Justice, but serving to the public was one goal I conquered successfully. Throughout my eight weeks, I learned about a variety of block and lot records, microfilm, building plans,etc. Working and getting to know different plan examiners, Human Resource officials, managers, and bosses was amazing to me, they definitely had a positive impact on me and my work. My boss Geraldine Flowers pushed me to the limit in which I was able to handle and perform different duties, and tasks while she was on vacation for 2 weeks. With myself left standing, I had to obtain a routine that I could maneuver around, which usually takes 2 or more people to complete. Every applicant enjoyed me, and recognized my dedication as a summer intern being able to fulfill more than what was expected. This job opportunity was very intense, and I loved every second of it, I will always be open for any position with this agency in my near future.
Pros
1 hour lunch
College Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2015
Enhanced my skills in communication and professionalism. Management and co-workers were there if I needed any guidance or support in any part of job that may have been difficult to understand. Their assistance taught me to be understanding and comfortable in my workplace.
friendly and productive environment
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2015
working this job taught me how to use the program Microsoft excel. A typical day would be to come in and get to work right filling in information on the the computer. Sometimes i would go onto the field to look at future building projects in progress. that gave me sense of how the DOB is trying to improve the city.
Productive, challenging and a lot of skill building.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkApril 10, 2015
At the Dept. of Buildings I worked in the General Services Dept. where we serviced all aspects of running the building and serving personnel.

I enhanced my skills to a very high degree utilizing Word, Excel. PowerPoint and Outlook. Along with the utilization of these skills I was challenged of keeping important records. I developed filing systems and created organization sheets in order to accommodate easy look-ups for co-workers and clients.

It was indeed a pleasure helping the public get on the right track of what had to be done and turning a positive into a negative.
Pros
Travel time, food places and stores.
Cons
productive environment that require good customer service.
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2013
enter data into the data base, filing, and customer service.
Department of Buildings is Great.
Work-Study Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2013
I like the Department of Buildings. It is a great place to work.