Department of Commerce

Department of Commerce Employer Reviews

bank life
Customer Rep/Teller/Small Business Lender (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2014
Served in a variety of positions for two the Bank
Provided customer service to the consumer’s and provided Notary for public documents.
The responsibilities of my position are review customers’ accounts and provide assistance to customers, collect overnight deposits from drop box.
Document all paperwork.
• Small Business Lender – recruit small businesses – more... in the area to open accounts with the company.
• Notary – the ability to stamp and notarize important documents such as home loans, car loans/titles, and other personal/private documents for customers of the bank.
• Teller – deposit/withdrawal/transfer money in personal/business accounts. – less
Sweatshop. Performance based on quantity, not quality.
Patent Examiner (Former Employee), Alexandria, VADecember 5, 2014
Pros: associated with brilliant, interesting people
Cons: monotonous routine, no outlet for creativity. interesting technology smothered in legal verbosity.
Arrive at 7am. Spend entire day in windowless office staring at computer screen, reading patent applications written by lawyers.
Lunch at desk.
Leave at 6pm, drive an hour thru congested beltway traffic. Get home in time to eat dinner, go to bed. Get up at 5am and do it all over.
My supervisor advised me to "stop thinking like an engineer, instead think – more... like a lawyer." – less
FUN PLACE TO WORK
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 25, 2014
Pros: benefits and fun
Cons: hard work
WORKED FROM TIME GOT IN DOOR UNTIL I LEFT. I LEARNED THAT WAS A PLACE FOR JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THAT IS MADE AND I COULD LOOK IT UP. MANAGEMENT WORKED TOGETHER WOTH CO WORKERS AND WE GOT THE JOB DONE EVERYDAY. THE HARDEST JOB WAS TO MEET THAT QUOTA FOR THE DAY. SOME NEW EVERYDAY WITH PATENTS.
Secretary (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDOctober 23, 2014
Great environment to work in with amazing co-workers. Staff is amazing. I learned how to work with a very diverse group of people.
people who work here are wonderful
Sr.Developer/Support - Government Contractor (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 13, 2014
The people who work here are wonderful: intelligent, ambitious, motivated, and perhaps most important - FUN! The management team welcomes constructive feedback on business processes from every level of the organization
Engaging and Dynamic Workplace
Fellow (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 9, 2014
A fast paced government work environment that constantly challenged my abilities.
I just couldn't be a bureaucrat
Patent Examiner (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: great benefits - it's a federal gs job.
Cons: sweatshop.
Patent Examining is a desk job. Your goal is to find any way possible to deny the applicant a patent, and you are rated on how many times you do that. You never get to touch any hardware other than your computer.

There is no incentive to help an applicant. Supervisors can reject your work for reasons that make no sense, and can even tell you to lie – more... about what the prior art states.

It takes a particular personality to succeed there - one I don't particularly admire. – less
Enjoyable, great training, and nice team.
Enumerator (Former Employee), Wichita, KSSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: overall good experience with nice pay.
Cons: can't remember any
Enjoyed assisting with the 2010 Census. Worked territories alone and with others. Very productive group as we completed some of the territories ahead of schedule.
Work with the public
Field Representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2014
The most enjoyable part for working with this agency is having a part in helping the distribution of federal funding for the county.
Productive, great learning experience
Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day at work was smooth, everyone got along with one another and got the job done. Everyone from my co-workers to other employees were great. It was a great experience and I learned a lot each day.
Important Federal Agence
Senior Infrastructure Specialist (Current Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 19, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: location
The mission of NOAA is of such value to everyone and I am pleased to be a part of that mission.
day at work
Desktop Support Technician/Asset Management (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 13, 2014
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names.
Your review may be publicly displayed by Indeed.
Great place to work!
Secretary, NOAA, National Ocean Service (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDAugust 13, 2014
I loved working at DOC. The work environment was very diverse. My coworkers were very professional as well as nice. Mangement were efficient, organized and extremly professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
great place to work
Public relations (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 12, 2014
great company to work for. Job description lives up to every expatiation. Pay is good.,
Great coworkers
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDAugust 5, 2014
No such thing as a typical day, worked as an Executive Assistant with additional responsibilities as the Safety Officer for my division so it was always something different. Management didn't view the admin staff very highly, thought that we were just support staff, didn't really value us as employees. Most enjoyable part was the coworkers.
low work ethic
Patent Examiner (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAAugust 3, 2014
Pros: high pay, great benefits, amazing environment
Cons: overly high production rate
unreasonable production requirement, examiners sacrifice applicant's benefit (poorly examining the application, using wrong prior arts, incorrectly interpreting the law, allowing patents that shouldn't be allowed) in order to be retained and get promotion.
secure jobs are the best
Automation Clerk/ EEO Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2014
great place to work especially if you are patriotic. What better way serve!
Seasonal work for a short period of time
Census Enumerator (Former Employee), Newark, DEJuly 30, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: having to knock on strangers doors some of the people did not want to give out their information
This was a good job with excellent pay but it was only for a short time frame.
Great Place to work
Network Engineer (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 26, 2014
Good Place to work, lots of politics. Just keep your head down and do your work and go home.
Enjoyable job
Census Enumerator (Former Employee), Greenville, NCJuly 25, 2014
Pros: like working out side
Cons: sometimes didn't like where i had to go
Enjoyed being out and about in the county I live in. Most people were friendly, but sometimes there ware some people that didn't like me being around.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Commerce

We are a family-owned winery located in San Martin, California, just 20 miles south of the Silicon Valley. Our scenic grounds – Read more