Department of Correction

Department of Correction Employer Reviews

Great company
Correction Officer (Current Employee), Orlando, FLDecember 28, 2014
It's a good company, friendly staff and coworkers. I learned valuable skills from this company.
Hard, responsible, respectful, eficient worker.
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee), Aguadilla, PRNovember 22, 2014
Pros: at this moment the pros is that they are paying the extra hours, benefits, vacations.
Cons: the cons are working in bad condition such as no lunch break and we do double shift.
A typical day at work starts at diferent working shift. At this moment it coudl be since 6:00 am to 2:00pm, 2:00 pm to 10:00pm or 10:00pm to 6:00am. The first thing that I do when I arrive to my working area is turn in my gun then I make the entry and punch in the time clock. After that all officer are gather by the sargent and he assign us to our working area. Before releaving my coworkers I count all the inmates in the area. Make sure that the counts is correct and inspect my working area being sure that everything is all right. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to help an inmate to resolve there problems and situation.
N/A
Correction Officer (Former Employee), Elmhurst, NYNovember 3, 2014
NYC Department Of Correction is Gift and a Curse. Your co- workers can your worst enemies alongside your supervisors.
Great place to work to enhance law enforcement skills
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: 12 hours 6day work week
Job is demanding if you have no experience, management needs work, great for retirees.
The only thing that kept me working in the Dept. of Correction is it bennifts
Correctional Officer Training Academy (Former Employee), State of ArizonaOctober 17, 2014
Pros: great bennifits, good vacation plan
Cons: very hostile work inviroment, long hours
Working as Correctional Officer is a thank less job. You work in the most depressing atmosphere of violence and mistrust. The community that you protect never thinks about you or the amount of responsibility that is put correctional staff. The only time the public is aware of what happen in prison is when something bad happens. As law enforcement we are not in the publics eye like police officer are or highway patrol. So the department get far less funding then do other law enforcement agency, meaning old broken radios and out dated equipment.
You can earn a living working for the dep. of correction, you can just put food on the table and clothes on your children. The forced retirement plan is awesome.
Rewarding Career
Deputy Warden (Current Employee), MYI Cheshire CTOctober 6, 2014
Able to start as an officer and work your way through the ranks.
The job is strictly control, custody and safety of offenders.
Correction Officer (Current Employee), Saint Gabriel, LASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: you bring your own lunch
Cons: breaks are the few minutes between rounds
Control and custody of offenders, making sure they have what they are supposed to have per policy and regulations. Learning to deal with with individual officer and general management of the group. With co-worker working together to achieve the accomplishment of the day's assignment. Looking out for each other as the work progresses. The hardest part of the job is the frequent rounds and full restrain to shower and phone. The most enjoyable part of the job is the off time, two in and two and longest is three days in and three days off.
Productive and busy work place
Correction Officer (Former Employee), Glennville, GASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: only working 15 days out of the month
Cons: may and may not get a break during a 12 hr. shift
A typical day at work consist of supervising 95 or more inmates per dorm assigned. I must admit working here has taught me to always be more aware of your surrounding. Always look out for my fellow co-workers and make sure we are safe at all time. The hardest part about my job is dealing with all different types of emotions being that I was dealing with so many inmates. The most enjoyable part about my job is knowing that I have fellow co-workers that's ready to back me up at any moment an inmate may get out of control.
Not for everyone
Information Resource Support Specialist (Former Employee), tnSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: wears on you
Sometimes IM have more rights then staff.
Must go the extra mile,
Good experience opportunity
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee), PRAugust 6, 2014
In this job I was able to learned and acquire different types of trainings that increased my work experience.
Creating and keeping a balance when advancing becomes difficult.
Correctional Officer & Food Service Lieutenant (Current Employee), Wilmington, DelawareApril 1, 2014
Pros: understanding different mind sets, offering hope, constant reminder of my freedom and liberty.
Cons: supervisor must reporting in when off when there is an emergency
The hardest part of the job is when you are doing the job, and feeling that you lack support. The most enjoyable part is knowing that no one offender will be in the facility for life. I am constantly reminding them that tomorrow brings more for them. They will have another chance at it and don't take it for granted.
okay to work for
General Population Counselor (Former Employee), Reidsville, GAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: healthcare
manage caseload
teach MRT
positive co workers
enjoyed working with co workers
Hard working environment, fast pace,
Hazmat/ Medical Assistant/Porter /Janitor (Former Employee), Wyoming, NYFebruary 20, 2014
Helping people, cleaned hospital, maintained hospital. Head Maintenance tech. I enjoyed helping people, keeping the hospital clean for the clients.
Easy job the hardest part is not the inmates but dealing with other employees
Correction Officer (Former Employee), Dover, DEDecember 30, 2013
Pros: benefits and if you want to work alot of over time you can make really good money
Cons: the people you work for and with
It is a easy job not much to it. Your work is mainly counting people to insure they are there. As long as you do your job your hire ups wont mess with you too much best thing to do is brown nose or know people in high places. The best part of the job is getting to know some of the story's from the inmates and the benefits best you can get with only a high school diploma needed.
Puncital, orgainized
Correction Officer (Former Employee), Dover, DEDecember 13, 2013
I am very puncital and organized. I do not like to have a mess and want to get things done right the first time in order to avoid delays in things.
CUSTODY OFFICER (Current Employee), Jefferson City, MOOctober 22, 2013
monitor offender movement in and out of the housing unit, do cell searches, pat searching
security
Employment History Legal Instrument Examiner (Former Employee), WASHINGTON D.COctober 22, 2013
WORKING FROM THE TIME I GET THERE TO THE TIME I GO HOME YOU WOULD GET A BREAK. I Learned team work also how to do diffient kind of paper work. My manager was cool long as all the work was done. My co-workers was helper at time but you was on your own. some tine trying to do all the work on time. when we have get together at wok and bring in foods to eat.
Prison
Correction Officer (Former Employee), Chester, PASeptember 4, 2013
Pros: healthcare
Cons: could not leave out on lunch break.
Sitting on a block with a lot of cells. Writing down in a log book of activities that have taken place. Conducting scheduled counts.
I learned what it is like to be incarcerated.
Management was helpful.
Co-workers did there jobs.
Hardest part was when you were scheduled to get off, but had to stay because you were mandated.
I enjoyed the paycheck.
I am forced to adapt to a ever changing environment.
War Memorial Supervisor/Officer (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: time off to spend with family.
Cons: raises.
As a Supervisor for the Department Of Correction, I am always learning new ways to supervise. It takes a lot of patients to work with inmates but it is rewarding to help men learn new skills and to help them come back to society and become productive citizens of their community.
Productive place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Parchman, MSAugust 30, 2013
Pros: easy place to work
Cons: not getting off on time
When I get on my post I escort offenders to the doctor and wait on the offenders until they are done and I return them back to there housing unit. I also take offenders to dinning hall to feed them.
I have learned to treat the offenders like human being. I have some wonderful coworkers we work very good together. The hardest part of my job is walking in the heat and the cold. The most enjoyable part of my job is transporting inmates to court and off ground the their appointments.