Department of Correction

Department of Correction Employee Reviews

security
Employment History Legal Instrument Examiner (Former Employee), WASHINGTON D.COctober 22, 2013
WORKING FROM THE TIME I GET THERE TO THE TIME I GO HOME YOU WOULD GET A BREAK. I Learned team work also how to do diffient kind of paper work. My manager was cool long as all the work was done. My co-workers was helper at time but you was on your own. some tine trying to do all the work on time. when we have get together at wok and bring in foods to eat.
Prison
Correction Officer (Former Employee), Chester, PASeptember 4, 2013
Pros: healthcare
Cons: could not leave out on lunch break.
Sitting on a block with a lot of cells. Writing down in a log book of activities that have taken place. Conducting scheduled counts.
I learned what it is like to be incarcerated.
Management was helpful.
Co-workers did there jobs.
Hardest part was when you were scheduled to get off, but had to stay because you were mandated.
I enjoyed the paycheck.
I am forced to adapt to a ever changing environment.
War Memorial Supervisor/Officer (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: time off to spend with family.
Cons: raises.
As a Supervisor for the Department Of Correction, I am always learning new ways to supervise. It takes a lot of patients to work with inmates but it is rewarding to help men learn new skills and to help them come back to society and become productive citizens of their community.
Productive place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Parchman, MSAugust 30, 2013
Pros: easy place to work
Cons: not getting off on time
When I get on my post I escort offenders to the doctor and wait on the offenders until they are done and I return them back to there housing unit. I also take offenders to dinning hall to feed them.
I have learned to treat the offenders like human being. I have some wonderful coworkers we work very good together. The hardest part of my job is walking in the heat and the cold. The most enjoyable part of my job is transporting inmates to court and off ground the their appointments.
It is very interesting each an everyday. A good place to work if your wondering about the field of Criminal justice. Always offering new knowledge.
Human Resources Technician III/ Payroll (Current Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 29, 2013
Pros: enlightening my knowledge with new ideas and being able to express.
Cons: trying to take care of everyone personally.
A typical day at work for me is never normal, there are new issues always coming up to take care of. This agency is always offering new training for the employees and encourage higher education to improve oneself. Co-wokers in this agency is just like another family, always there to assist you when needed, strive to work as one unit, and most of all communication is a plus. The hardest part of my job is trying to keep everyone satistfield, the most enjoyable part of my job is when I can go beyond and above to get an employee what they need.
Tough environment to work at but pretty fulfilling to know it helps someone
Office Technician (Former Employee), Tracy, CAAugust 22, 2013
Worked in multiple departments in the medical division.
Helped out with the Director of Nursing, Nursing Educator, SRN's (Supervisors of Nursing), Sargents and Lieutenants of the departments and also all of the supporting staffs from Correction officers, RN's, LVN's, CNA's and non-custody people.
Productive and a Challenging environment
Student Summer Intern (Former Employee), Framingham, MAAugust 20, 2013
A typical day for me was to attend program services such as meetings offered to female offenders. I also reviewed inmates accounts and filed inmate’s important documents.
Assisted Correctional Program Officers in providing counseling, rehabilitation care and treatment services to inmates. Was present when CPO’s performed classification duties as well as when inmates were interviewed during initial – more... intakes. Assisted CPO’s in matching inmates with appropriate programming and placement recommendations available in accordance with established placement criteria and individual needs.

I learned a lot about the Department of Correction, I had a pre-conceived notion of what a prison entailed and I got the opportunity to experience it firsthand.

The management & co-workers were great!

The hardest part was leaving my internship when it was over.

I loved everything about the job! – less
Okay
Word Processing Operator (Current Employee), Jamaica Plain, MAAugust 10, 2013
Okay for entry level position. Positive, great values for the department as a whole
Good and safe enivorment to work in.
Asst. Records, Information & Privacy Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 22, 2013
I enjoy working with people helping them out in everyway I can. My job is good to me but I need a part time job.
DOC was a Great job
COII (Former Employee), Tucson, AZApril 25, 2013
I was accountable for over two hundred inmates,wrote tickets when inmates were out of compliance. Responsibilities included mail distribution, Chow turn outs and hospital transportation. Conducted searches, and was responsible for all movement on a unit of 800 inmates. Ran control rooms, main control and yard control. Monitored inmate's behavior to ensure that those in question were mentally stable. Other areas of responsibility included visitation and kitchen management as well as performed security in the medical unit. I really liked my job. My co-works and managers were fun to work with.
This business provides job security...
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Butner, NCApril 23, 2013
This position was and is very challenging, and also can be dangerous, there are some advancement opportunities available. Hardest part of the job is when it's very short staffed, and work load is doubled. I've learned to multitask many parts of the job.
I have had a rewarding career with the Department of Correction.
Parole Officer (Current Employee), Middletown, CTMarch 7, 2013
Pros: i have learned much and am thankful for the opportunities i have had.
Cons: the negative enviroment of the inmates and the way they sometimes choose to live.
Their generally is not a typical day at the office when dealing with inmates but the reward comes from being firm,fair and consistent with inmates. The same applies in my view, with dealing with staff. We are all on the same team and at the end of a work day this is all that matters. I know that my fellow worker will be there in a crisis and vice versa. I never take pleasure in having to bring someone back to jail, but I realize this is my job, public safety. The most rewarding part of what it is we do is just that, try to protect and serve.
Good benefits
Investigator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 4, 2013
Good medical and dental.
Long hours (mandatory 12 hr shifts)
Nice place to work, pay is on the low end.
Financial Analyst / Account Manager (Current Employee), Government Cntr, Indianapolis, IN 46204January 31, 2013
Pros: longingevity
Cons: low pay
Good place to work. I am looking for a more challenging position, as well as a hiring paying position. I am also looking for a position where promotion opportunities are available. I do budgeting, forecasting as well as handle contracts. The most enjoyable part of my job was the mult-tasking. I am great at multi-tasking. I worked closely with the Budget Agency. I processed Budget Journals, and had to do Spend Plans for 6 different accounts.
Develop strong public relations while concentrating on the safety of the community.
Office Assistant Senior/Lead (Former Employee), Washington StateJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: work close with the community.
Cons: high stress job.
My primary duty is to provide service to large group of convicted felons and misdemeanors and direct support for Community Correction Officers and Community Correction Supervisors. Managed the daily operations of the Community Partnership Program by serving 400 volunteers staffed to aid with offender re-entry in to the community. Other job requirements are to maintain effective oral communication skills in response to telephone inquiries, co-workers, offenders and the public.
Good neighborhood.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 27, 2012
I come in at 8:30 and get straight to work. what i learned there is how to email, fax and copy files and documents. the people there were very friendly and inviting. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Interesting job
Secretary 1 (Former Employee), Wethersfield, CTSeptember 15, 2012
Pros: learning experience
There was no typical workday as every day was different. Very busy. The management staff I worked with were professional yet still were able to find humour in our everyday work lives. My position was in Human Resources, but I would sometimes work in a correctional institution and I had some adjustments to make getting used to this type of atmosphere. My personnel officers were great people to work with and in turn made this job a great workplace.
Stressful, but rewarding at times.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Pocatello, IDJune 21, 2012
Pros: benefits are very good
Cons: raises are few, small and rare.
Working for the Dept. of Corrections takes a special type of person. You must realize that the inmates typically do not know what normal is and it is your job to exemplify professionalism and correct thinking. There are times you are fed up and other times you are hopeful. You see some pretty gross and upsetting things that you have to learn to live with. I have learned how to handle stress, how to work with people from all types of socio-ethnic backgrounds and how to have fun. I love working with my girls in the Girl Scout Beyond Bars program that I instituted. I find real fulfillment in this program.
A secure place to work
Payroll Clerk Assistant/ASA II (Current Employee), Elmore, ALJune 20, 2012
Responsibilities: Computes numerical data so that accuracy of employees paychecks, documents and other records are correct and up-to-date. Enters data onto documents and/or into computer so that information can be provided/obtained within an time frame. Distributes/Collects ID cards, badges and paychecks so that all property is accounted for and security is ensured through correct identification. Compiles, set up and files documents and forms to ensure accurate recordkeeping.

I enjoyable working in payroll.

Department of Correction Salaries